Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

clownstrike is more of a joke on the name than the company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

as far as EDR vendors and "threat intel" companies go, they're one of the better ones I think

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
cool cool. the job does sound kind of neat and I imagine it would be a big pay bump, but I've had enough of silicon valley for a while. the 9 hour time difference is rough

good to know that the clownstrike name isn't too serious in case I ever need... whatever they do

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

the only time i hear about crowdstrike good or bad is when the mac users at work are complaining about it eating all their CPU

on the linux side it seems to have calmed down a bit since they switched from their old C++ kernel module to their new eBPF sensor backend

i don't really know if our IT/security department does anything useful with it or if it's just another component in the security compliance checkbox industrial complex

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Crowdstrike has a new-ish thing that tries to identify sites "associated" with your company. So in our case it looked at our home page, saw a link to microsoft.com and decided anything with a certificate issued to a subdomain of Microsoft is our problem. So some dweeb in infosec pages me about some random IP with RDP exposed to the Internet with a certificate matching microsoft.com. The team doesn't even know what this thing does so they want me to mark each finding as a FP instead of a fundamental fix.

Their integration with AWS blows too. Infosec will give me a report of some instances ip-10-whatever.ec2.internal that have some out of date version of curl or whatever. But no tags, so I have no idea what it is. Whatever had that IP 3 days ago is long gone and if there's something using it now it's not the same. Sure I can probably find in cloudtrail something about it, but I have no aggregate view of where my problems are so I can't prioritize issues.

I don't have a problem with the findings, excepting the RDP crap. I just have a hard time making use of it. It makes some pretty dashboards, but it doesn't help my team fix anything more efficiently.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've liked Crowdstrike, it's been helpful any time we need to call the feds :shrug:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Clownstrike ate my cpu, then it ate binaries that I compiled. But in the end I think the problem is how it’s used. The dipshit ITSEC ppl at my job have turned of any client side notifications to “avoid tipping of the bad guys” which meant I was extremely frustrated when .exe files I created just went poof… I only figured it out because the same thing happened to a colleague earlier, then they contacted him 2 weeks after the thing happened.

I much prefer it to TLS inspection, and I don’t see how it can run on developer machines without causing more trouble than anything good

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

zokie posted:

Clownstrike ate my cpu, then it ate binaries that I compiled. But in the end I think the problem is how it’s used. The dipshit ITSEC ppl at my job have turned of any client side notifications to “avoid tipping of the bad guys” which meant I was extremely frustrated when .exe files I created just went poof… I only figured it out because the same thing happened to a colleague earlier, then they contacted him 2 weeks after the thing happened.

I much prefer it to TLS inspection, and I don’t see how it can run on developer machines without causing more trouble than anything good

crowdstrike super hates devs. ive seen this exact scenario multiple times. hopefully your security team put dev computers in a different group from all the other user computers and tune the policies better.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

zokie posted:

tell me nobody in itsec has ever tried their hand at fighting EDR without telling me ..... yeah sorry dude, that sucks.

FungiCap posted:

crowdstrike super hates devs. ive seen this exact scenario multiple times. hopefully your security team put dev computers in a different group from all the other user computers and tune the policies better.

it can be done but you need more knowledgeable dudes at the helm, preferably working with your devops plumbers. I feel your pain.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

we've had 2-3 SOC analysts leave to work at Crowdstrike, they offer good money and have roles where you can do actually cool stuff. they seem to always be aggressively hiring, mainly targeting people with 2-3 years experience working in a SOC. haven't heard any complaints from those who left to work there.

Crowdstrike Falcon EDR/XDR is a fairly good product when configured appropriately. the exploit mitigation/attack surface reduction stuff is optional and can be fine-tuned. you can assign assets to groups and then apply different policies based on those groups which helps you to secure the critical stuff and stop devs from complaining. even with the mitigation stuff disabled it's worth having just as a sensor for IoC detection. this goes well with the threat hunting tools they've got.

one anecdote i've heard about Crowdstrike but not really sure if it's true: years ago when they were in full start-up mode they rushed the architecture design to stand-up the first instance of their SaaS platform, US-1. this lead to some fairly severe issues when they tried to scale it out so they said "gently caress it" and started from scratch with a new architecture which was stood-up as US-2. from a customer's perspective they both function identically however they have different API versions and endpoints, even to login (US-1), US-2)). if your CID is on US-1 you can raise a ticket to migrate to US-2 however it's very disruptive. so they just keep them both running lol

oh also all their SaaS instances (US-1, US-2, US-GOV-1 and EU-1) are running on AWS: https://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/crowdstrike/. apparently their bill is monstrous, like 9-figgies

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
Got 2 critical cases from a customer who somehow deployed all their personal passwords to all their users' Chrome/Chredge profiles.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rip lol, that’ll be fun to sort out if any of the users have logins to the same sites

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

depending on how "personal" the logins are there's potentially no ceiling to the amusement.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

FungiCap posted:

we have it on our dev machines and it seems fine. the only time I've been pinged by IT is because i ran a sketchy looking allen & heath firmware updater needed an intel cpu to run on, which seemed fair.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Achmed Jones posted:

For what it's worth, I have a hard time thinking of _any_ organization where I say "OMG they work at _____." I guess maybe, like, NSA crypto, but even then, it depends a ton on what the actual job is and the things that come out of their mouth when we speak and such.

i think it's impressive that my college friend works (partially) at NIST but he also has a physics PhD relevant to quantum computing

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

zokie posted:

We haven't had those issues. I helped make sure that devs are in a policy group separate from general users though. And we get alerts that are acted on by either us or Crowstrike's support within a few minutes. Someone probably has to do some configuration work. I haven't noticed their sensor using significant resources on Windows or Linux machines. Haven't tried it on Macs.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Just a quick question. What is the go to for a password manager for a team? We currently have a Keepass DB on a shared drive but obviously lacks important features like audit trails, different accounts for access etc. What is everyone else using in this space?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we're using bitwarden internally, and for a few of our clients. we're using the hosted option, so it's a paid service, but it works well.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

infernal machines posted:

we're using bitwarden internally, and for a few of our clients. we're using the hosted option, so it's a paid service, but it works well.

our team maintains Vault for general purpose secret storage across the org, which extends to both user secrets and app secrets. user auth is tied into Okta and app auth uses the kubernetes auth backend. the Vault GUI is now included in the free license so anyone can use it without having to learn CLI tooling.

a vault cluster may be more than you want to maintain just for shared secret storage but it's honestly pretty good for a Hashicorp product

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Varkk posted:

Just a quick question. What is the go to for a password manager for a team? We currently have a Keepass DB on a shared drive but obviously lacks important features like audit trails, different accounts for access etc. What is everyone else using in this space?

we use 1pass, it seems to work well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't dug too far into the security implications because IT owns it and not the security team

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Varkk posted:

we're using azure keyvault, and while it works great for automation and app secrets it is poo poo for user secrets

if it was my decision would just use 1pass or bitwarden for team/user secrets

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Varkk posted:

https://www.keepersecurity.com

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i like the password inspector on the front page

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
related to the password chat: anyone got a good suggestion for a secure api key storage? my company has keeper but apparently everyone with access can see everything so I’m looking for alternatives I can host myself. we’re too poor for Amazon secrets apparently.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just lmao that aws secrets bills per secret and per api call

azure keyvault at least is only transaction billing

just use vault though

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

susan b buffering posted:

we have it on our dev machines and it seems fine. the only time I've been pinged by IT is because i ran a sketchy looking allen & heath firmware updater needed an intel cpu to run on, which seemed fair.

I don't even know what we use here but I'll never forget the day I was emailed for

quote:

cat .bash_history|grep ssh|uniq -u

Like I loving get it but that's creepy as hell and I don't even have ssh keys set up so the biggest concern isn't even a concern.

stoopidmunkey posted:

related to the password chat: anyone got a good suggestion for a secure api key storage? my company has keeper but apparently everyone with access can see everything so I’m looking for alternatives I can host myself. we’re too poor for Amazon secrets apparently.

Show your boss you think like a manager: Use the excel API to store everything in an encrypted spreadsheet.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 15, 2024

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
we use keeper and I like it. I did most of the initial setup and implementation for us, including deploying the automator login service container in Azure.

We just passed one year of using Keeper actually, I renewed the cert this week.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

stoopidmunkey posted:

just put export AWS_SECRET in .bashrc :hehe:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Internet Old One posted:

I don't even know what we use here but I'll never forget the day I was emailed for

I bet they have a trigger on “history” because deleting history is a common attacker move

also, gotta point out the gratuitous 🐱

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Internet Old One posted:

cat .bash_history|grep ssh|uniq -u

btw you can ctrl-r and then type part of a command and keep hitting ctrl-r to get previous incantations

also i just installed https://atuin.sh on my work computer to try it out, seems to work pretty well (gives you a big ol display when you search history so its easier to find the correct one, but disable the up arrow imo)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Related, in powershell I run a thing called PS-ReadLine which does a predictive preview of commands from your history:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/powershell/announcing-psreadline-2-1-with-predictive-intellisense/?WT.mc_id=-blog-scottha

Is there anything like this for bash?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

Related, in powershell I run a thing called PS-ReadLine which does a predictive preview of commands from your history:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/powershell/announcing-psreadline-2-1-with-predictive-intellisense/?WT.mc_id=-blog-scottha

Is there anything like this for bash?
Control r?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ctrl-r behaves considerably differently

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I bet they have a trigger on “history” because deleting history is a common attacker move

hope they have a trigger on unset HISTFILE too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ya vanilla bash ctrl-r is just jumping to previous with substring, but the atuin thing seems similar to that powershell thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if yall dont set up fzf with ctrl-r instead of the bash/zsh built-in i dont even know what to tell you

The Fool, you probably want fzf

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

been using atuin, will probably try fzf at some point

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

yeah fzf is real good

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Subjunctive posted:

Good catch!

I do it intentionally because my brain wants to search a file for a thing in that order and so I have a bad habit of entering the parameters backward.

It's not just about covering tracks. If you compromise an account there is a good chance you can access other accounts they have with their ssh keys or their password if you know it.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

if yall dont set up fzf with ctrl-r instead of the bash/zsh built-in i dont even know what to tell you

The Fool, you probably want fzf

yeah, that's exactly what I was looking for thanks