Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I was just planning on playing with Core rules. I'll probably give it a whirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of monk, I’ve got Rasaad in BG2 running around with Celestial Fury. Is that a decent mix or are there better schmoobles I can be using?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Oh one thing I just remembered is that you can't be hasted either (boots of speed still let you go vroom vroom) so you'll probably want to grab greater whirlwind as your go-to HLA to deal damage instead of critical strike. Beamdog really took the bat to them in the enhanced editions. :(

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Don't Monks already move at a speed approaching speedboots-boosted characters anyway?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Nostalgamus posted:

Don't Monks already move at a speed approaching speedboots-boosted characters anyway?

I don't actually know how fast they can get. According to the wiki they get +2 movement as the base and a further +1 every five levels, meanwhile boots of speed just give you +200% movement speed and I can't find where on the wiki it explains how much + movement that is. :shrug:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

Yeah I was just planning on playing with Core rules. I'll probably give it a whirl.

Core rules unmodded? Monk should be just fine.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

DeadButDelicious posted:

I don't actually know how fast they can get. According to the wiki they get +2 movement as the base and a further +1 every five levels, meanwhile boots of speed just give you +200% movement speed and I can't find where on the wiki it explains how much + movement that is. :shrug:

The base movement speed is 9, so a monk should be at double movement rate (The same as Boots of Speed) by the end of ToB.

Monks are the worst class in the game, their only rival for that is the Shaman. I'm not sure how this is Beamdog's fault though, they've always been bad since the original release of BG2.

Luckily, unmodded BG2 on Core rules is a very easy game, so even a Monk will steamroll the game with no issues.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

biscuits and crazy posted:

Monks are the worst class in the game, their only rival for that is the Shaman. I'm not sure how this is Beamdog's fault though, they've always been bad since the original release of BG2.

They're not a strong or a good class, no (I think they're fun but that's just me) but Beamdog decided that a melee based class needed to have its capacity to avoid critical hits, specifically the dusty loun stone losing its crit immunity, removed. They also added a non-helmet item that removes critical hits in the form of the gargoyle cape and decided it wasn't going to be one of the items ported over to SoA. There's a lot wrong with the monk class since vanilla SoA but I can absolutely put that at Beamdog's feet.

Nevertheless you can complete the game with any race/class combo so go nuts.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yeah they said they weren't allowed to (or wouldn't?) make significant balance changes yet they nerfed the gently caress out of a lot of things in the last few patches.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Oh right, I forgot about Ioun Stones losing their crit immunity. Absolutely crippling for the more fragile classes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s probably my penchant for only playing on normal rules, but I’ve never been too fussed over crit immunity. I’m sure if I was playing core or higher, or using mods like SCS, I’d absolutely notice it.

Can party members even get critically hit on normal or lower difficulty? I can’t remember but it’d explain why I never cared.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Monks mightn't be the strongest or best class.

But you get to rip Firkraag with your bare hands and punch him right in his smug loving face.

Worth it.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

H13 posted:

Monks mightn't be the strongest or best class.

But you get to rip Firkraag with your bare hands and punch him right in his smug loving face.

Worth it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
"How did the Bhaalspawn defeat Sarevok?"
"Punched him"

"Oh...what about Irenicus?"
"Punched him repeatedly"

"I see...and..."
"He punches everyone until they stop being a problem"

"Even the Demogorgon?"
"Especially the Demogorgon."

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apologies for the double post, but unrelated to the joys of punching your enemies in the face.

I'm starting BG2 to do a Thief\Mage run of some description. I saw the Shadowdancer thing and thought: "Boy that looks like fun. I bet I can use Shadowstep as unofficial time stop to snap off a quick spell" and "Hide in plain sight? So I can hide, run in, sneak attack, then hide again immediately without having to run off or do something clever? My god this seems broken as hell"

Trip report:

It's broken as hell.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat according to GOG I've got 117 hours of Baldurs Gate but I have no memory of this.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hollismason posted:

drat according to GOG I've got 117 hours of Baldurs Gate but I have no memory of this.

I have 1017 hours in bg2.....

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

oh poo poo I severely underestimated lol it's 2,821.50 hours

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shard posted:

:catstare:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

IN MY DEFENSE....i left the game running overnight a lot back in the day to trigger the next chain in romance companion quests lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shard posted:

IN MY DEFENSE....i left the game running overnight a lot back in the day to trigger the next chain in romance companion quests lol

That's 117 days.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

We will give you 50 hours off for that. The rest are on you bro.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Thinking Imma fire up the Ole BG this weekend. Can't decide on class but tempted for gnome multiclass

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hollismason posted:

That's 117 days.

Yeah and Jaheira's romance might hit the next stage ANY DAY NOW

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I want a chill experience what class is real chill.

I'm leaning Bard.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I'm leaning Bard.

if you're playing baldur's gate (doesn't apply in icewind dale) you've got like 0 reason not to go thief/illusionist instead of bard for a gnome

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Shard posted:

I think if I had never gone through graduate school and accumulated an aspirational Steam backlog to play I might have a combined 2,000 hours in both games! But wow, almost 3,000 in one is pretty impressive, did you win a prize

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think if I had never gone through graduate school and accumulated an aspirational Steam backlog to play I might have a combined 2,000 hours in both games! But wow, almost 3,000 in one is pretty impressive, did you win a prize

I found a game series I really really enjoy and will apparently enjoy for my entire life?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Millions of people are out there joylessly feeding money into reskinned gambling apps all day. If you're enjoying something, you shouldn't feel any shame about spending time doing it. Steam can inflate play time for other reasons too. I've had a couple games rack up 100+ hours of playtime because the process hung in the background instead of closing when I exited.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Randallteal posted:

Millions of people are out there joylessly feeding money into reskinned gambling apps all day. If you're enjoying something, you shouldn't feel any shame about spending time doing it. Steam can inflate play time for other reasons too. I've had a couple games rack up 100+ hours of playtime because the process hung in the background instead of closing when I exited.

realistically I've played this game more than this. Because that's just the hours from the BG2 EE. So it's not counting the time I played on BG2, BG2TTOB, BG2 COMPLETE or any other version.

I have also played and beaten it several times on PS5 and switch lol.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Hollismason posted:

I'm leaning Bard.

Inquisitor paladin or multiclass fighter/thief would be my go-to for something relaxed. Not as "I do exactly one thing" as a straight fighter but simple and very strong.

Or, for the ultimate one-trick pony, archer ranger. You indeed do exactly one thing and that one thing deletes most enemies very quickly.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The god of murder would appreciate the efficiency of his child becoming an automatic turret

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bard is pretty fun to play as a chill class imo. Not the best at anything, but you can do some fun combinations of skills plus your caster level is a lot higher than normal since you're on the thief experience table.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
To me Half-Orc Berserker is peak chill. Big HP pool + rage giving immunity to confusion, charm, fear, hold, imprisonment, level drain, maze, feeblemind and sleep. A truly ridiculous ability.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Randallteal posted:

To me Half-Orc Berserker is peak chill. Big HP pool + rage giving immunity to confusion, charm, fear, hold, imprisonment, level drain, maze, feeblemind and sleep. A truly ridiculous ability.

Old school rage is fantastic, and I still often get confused playing 5th Ed tabletop thinking it prevents more than it does. Lol.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Too mad to be banished to some wack rear end crystal prison or put to sleep

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay so I think I'll go with Bard because I don't recall ever playing that one.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Randallteal posted:

Don't forget stun. Stun is grade triple A bullshit that's very hard to be immune to.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I have Aerie duel wielding the flail of ages+3 and the kneecapper and I am dying at this image of her tiny frame just wailing on fools with weapons probably bigger than her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So in all my years of playing Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, there are still some companions I've never used or taken anywhere. I'm just now figuring out that Keldorn is a busted rear end "i win" button and I'm not sure how I ever got along without him. That said, is there a more amicable solution to his "family problems" than "murder the dude who looked after his kids and imprison his wife?" I picked the dialogue options that I thought would lead to some kind of understanding, went and met Keldorn some hours later in his temple, and he's like "well that's done, back to your quest."