Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

lordfrikk posted:

I feel like there's always going to be a very limited amount of games that will torture a card like 4090, but playing at 4K while expecting decent FPS there's were a bunch last year that made me glad for having it (Cyberpunk 2077, Baldur's Gate 3, Alan Wake 2, Jusant, Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, Hogwarts Legacy, The Talos Principle 2).

Graphically, I think Alan Wake 2 easily gives CP2077 a run for its money. Jusant was beautiful but obviously going for a more stylized look. Hogwarts Legacy felt high-fidelity but not as impressive as other games when it comes to lighting. Baldur's Gate 3 had great texture work but again lighting was not on the same level.

BG3 is not a super GPU-intensive game, I could easily max it out at 1440p on my 3080 and ended up CPU-constrained in act 3. Even my 4070 ti can push 60+ fps at 4K (though I usually run DLSS and a frame cap anyways just to cut back on power draw since it doesn't need max FPS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They should really ditch that dumb 12V high power connector and just start getting psu makers to support the 48V power connector that is in the pci sig standard now.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

shrike82 posted:

the PS5 has been great as a console gaming box. the issues sony is facing with "AAA" game financing applies to the PC equivalents too

The console noise is always something I don't look forward to. It's made me seriously consider if I ever get a ps5, I'm going to try and water block it.

Branch Nvidian posted:

GamePass is the only reason to get an Xbox, which is why I'm not really talking about it. To my knowledge every single Xbox title also has a Windows PC version.

They have so many OG X-Box games and 360 but NOT Conker Live and Reloaded!!! :argh:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jiro posted:

The console noise is always something I don't look forward to. It's made me seriously consider if I ever get a ps5, I'm going to try and water block it.

PS5 is pretty quiet. That's the upshot of its huge size, it's for cooling. It's like 45 dB under sustained max load

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

acksplode posted:

PS5 is pretty quiet. That's the upshot of its huge size, it's for cooling. It's like 45 dB under sustained max load

Yeah, mine is noticeably quieter than the PC it's sitting next to, and if there is any ambient room noise at all - even just the central air kicking in - it's utterly drowned out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the PS5 was by their own admission super overbuilt for cooling because of how loud the PS4 Pro got. Even my later revision with the much smaller heatsink is inaudible over normal game noise even when it is spinning the fans up.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

sauer kraut posted:

Imma be honest, if I bought a 4090 I'd be a bit sour by now about the lack of games to put it through its paces.

You can’t be serious

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

You can’t be serious

They mean lack of good games

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

New patch out for Portal RTX. DLSS 3.5 with Ray Reconstruction which makes a big difference, and RTX IO... not that this game really needs it. The game looks so much better now after all the updates. Reconstruction and Framegen have really fleshed out the visuals.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

might see if i can get the DLSS-to-FSR framegen mod working in portal

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Can't wait for Half Life 2 with all these features.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, actual stuff that gets people excited.
I'm sure having a 4090 is handy to brute force garbage code like MS FS or Starfield.
There is no what in the console world would be considered a system mover though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

maybe when the PS5 final fantasy games get PC ports there'll be a reason to upgrade from my 3080

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

As much as I hate to admit it, if FFXVI ends up having some exclusive feature that only works on Nvidia cards I'm going to be pissed, and then I'm going to upgrade my GPU again because I love FFXVI.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Yes, actual stuff that gets people excited.
I'm sure having a 4090 is handy to brute force garbage code like MS FS or Starfield.
There is no what in the console world would be considered a system mover though.

4090 is fun as gently caress to brute force just regular games to 5K res with, 2.25x DLDSR (plus DLSS Quality for the extra sauce) for lyfe baby

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 15, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Looks like MLID got ahold of a doc detailing Sony's upcoming AI-accelerated temporal upscaling algorithm for the PS5 Pro, labeled "PSSR" (Playstation Spectral Super Resolution): https://videocardz.com/newz/sony-playstation-5-pro-teased-with-pssr-spectral-super-resolution-support

It does seem like the GPU in the PS5 Pro will have AI acceleration (300 TOPS in INT-8), which is close to the 4090 (330 I think?). 2ms is still around 4x the overhead cost as DLSS Performance at 4K with a 4090 though, putting it closer to the 2060 Super (2.16ms overhead, according to Nvidia).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 15, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
so those rumors were true.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Looks like MLID got ahold of a doc detailing Sony's upcoming AI-accelerated temporal upscaling algorithm for the PS5 Pro, labeled "PSSR" (Playstation Spectral Super Resolution):

Pronounced "Piss-er"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Looks like MLID got ahold of a doc detailing Sony's upcoming AI-accelerated temporal upscaling algorithm for the PS5 Pro, labeled "PSSR" (Playstation Spectral Super Resolution): https://videocardz.com/newz/sony-playstation-5-pro-teased-with-pssr-spectral-super-resolution-support

It does seem like the GPU in the PS5 Pro will have AI acceleration (300 TOPS in INT-8), which is close to the 4090 (330 I think?). 2ms is still around 4x the overhead cost as DLSS Performance at 4K with a 4090 though, putting it closer to the 2060 Super (2.16ms overhead, according to Nvidia).

Now is this something that Sony will basically restrict to just the PS5, or will AMD be able to leverage any of it on the desktop side?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Canned Sunshine posted:

Now is this something that Sony will basically restrict to just the PS5, or will AMD be able to leverage any of it on the desktop side?

Judging by the playstation branding, I'm assuming this is developed by Sony for use with their consoles (probably just the PS5 Pro at first). AMD is reportedly developing their own AI accelerated version of FSR, which will probably be different.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i hope they can get more japanese devs to use this, because fsr1-upscaled ffxvi and nearest neighbour-upscaled(!) ffvii:r ain't it

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Do any of you guys have any experience with the Asus ProArt RTX cards?

I managed to get one (4080 Super OC) for just under £1000 from Scan which was about £180 under any other sellers have them at. Also, it was pretty much the lowest priced card available except from one that had a few reviews mentioning higher temp/fans/general lower quality. It was either Inno or Zotac, I can't recall after looking up so many.
As well as the price, I actually love the look of it, to the extent that I'm now considering having a case with a glass side, which is a 180 change of position for me.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows how they perform noise and temperature wise? As it is a "2.5 slot", I'm hoping that's actually plenty for that chip, and all the others are just over the top mega chngus style for gamer appeal.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, I mean, fair, I suppose, if you're talking about ray tracing stuff. But I feel like I've been using the card a lot. The new Avatar game. Alex Wake 2. CP2077 path tracing. Hogwarts Legacy.

It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish though. A lot of people including myself bought their 4090 in October of 2022 for $1599. Isn't it literally worth more than we paid for it now? I'm bad at ebay but I think that's the case.

Even if it's not, 4K/120 (let alone 4K/144) is demanding enough that having a 4090 on hand is always a good call and always feels worth it. I don't care what people game on, and no one needs a 4090; I just don't get it. I've never felt like I wasn't using the 4090's abilities.

Even when you're playing a normal raster game without too much going on, it can be nice. I recently played Tales of Arise on 200% render on 4K which looked great, since the game doesn't have DLSS for jaggy reduction. On top of that, we have Forbidden West about to release, FF7 Rebirth on a relatively short 3 month exclusivity window, and you have FF16 PC late in dev.

Idk like more power to people who don't feel like they need a 4090, I've been staunchly saying in this very thread for a while now that a used 3080 is the best call for almost everyone, but I just don't buy the "4090 wasn't worth it" narrative at all unless we're trying to make the broader statement that no one should, like, game at native 4K. But that's a whole other can of worms.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Do any of you guys have any experience with the Asus ProArt RTX cards?

I managed to get one (4080 Super OC) for just under £1000 from Scan which was about £180 under any other sellers have them at. Also, it was pretty much the lowest priced card available except from one that had a few reviews mentioning higher temp/fans/general lower quality. It was either Inno or Zotac, I can't recall after looking up so many.
As well as the price, I actually love the look of it, to the extent that I'm now considering having a case with a glass side, which is a 180 change of position for me.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows how they perform noise and temperature wise? As it is a "2.5 slot", I'm hoping that's actually plenty for that chip, and all the others are just over the top mega chngus style for gamer appeal.

They're good, my 4070 ti ProArt runs super quiet and has never cracked 70 degrees even under full load (but also it's mounted vertically against a mesh panel so your mileage may vary)

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

change my name posted:

They're good, my 4070 ti ProArt runs super quiet and has never cracked 70 degrees even under full load (but also it's mounted vertically against a mesh panel so your mileage may vary)

Good to hear thanks.
I'm really pleased that I lucked out. I've admired them in passing, but they were always priced way above rrp, and seemingly never in stock direct from Asus.
Might be a bit of a gateway drug though as I'm now eyeing the motherboards too haha.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's still weird to me how cheap the proart supers are, at least in the eu. they're basically asus' premium model. maybe they're just easy to manufacture

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

not sure where to ask this because it likely isn't gpu related, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction:

about every 3 to 4 seconds (seems regular) i get a very noticeable split second hitch (like a lag spike in an online game). i noticed it in game first, but it happens anywhere on desktop too. any idea how to start diagnosing what's up? "System" is what seems to jump up in CPU use in task manager at approximately the same time.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Check the event viewer to see if there is anything showing up repeatedly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i might not be searching correctly, but i don't see anything popping up with that frequency

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

:pt:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Playstation Spectral Super Resolution

We’re using ghosts now? I don’t know this seems like a bad idea

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

We’re using ghosts now? I don’t know this seems like a bad idea
If AMD renamed their matrix math units to Ecto Cores, they'd instantly win every GPU generation forever.

I guess names don't need to mean anything for this stuff, but "spectral" might indicate that Sony is trying something in frequency space rather than in image space like current upscaling algorithms work. Spectral Band Replication, where you infer higher frequency bands from lower ones, has been a thing in audio compression forever. I could see, if you had the FLOPs to do a 2D FFT/iFFT every frame, that doing upscaling and infilling in frequency space could come with some benefits. At least, it's been shown that doing something like a DCT or FFT on training data and then feeding that to a Convolutional Neural Net can have some benefits as far as training time and needed network depth go.

steckles fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 15, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Could also just be the tried and true practice of Japanese companies slapping English words on things without taking even a moment to consider what the words actually mean.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think most if not all of sony's SDK development has been done by SN systems in the UK, since the PS4

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's too bad apple doesn't take gaming seriously. i picked up a 14" m3 pro MBP for use while holidaying and it's just much better to use than my travel gaming laptop (zephyrus g14 with a 4090).

the latter uses a relatively efficient AMD chip but at best and with a lot of power management lasts maybe 6-7 hours for non-gaming tasks. the MBP could conservatively do 14-15 hours.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shrike82 posted:

it's too bad apple doesn't take gaming seriously. i picked up a 14" m3 pro MBP for use while holidaying and it's just much better to use than my travel gaming laptop (zephyrus g14 with a 4090).

the latter uses a relatively efficient AMD chip but at best and with a lot of power management lasts maybe 6-7 hours for non-gaming tasks. the MBP could conservatively do 14-15 hours.

What're you talking about? You've got Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Village and *thinks really hard* Death Stranding!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

What're you talking about? You've got Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Village and *thinks really hard* Death Stranding!

TBF if you use crossover a lot of games run really well.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Got a bit of an annoyance - one of my GPU fans started rattling and the place I purchased it from offered to just straight up exchange it for a slightly used variant (Grade B - which they note as "The product may have screw marks in fasteners") as it was the only one of the model they had left plus some store credit for future purchases.

Fair enough, it's sitting in a case below my desk where I'll never look at it. So it arrived today on Friday, I unpack it to install it and... uh.

I have no idea what the previous owner did with this thing before returning it to the shop, but the IO panel is bent to the point I can't screw both screw in. Is this an "Oh hell no" scenario with GPUs, or can it hold on fine with just one screw? I tried lightly bending it back, but it didn't budge.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Twerk from Home posted:

And BG3! (May or may not run at above 1fps)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lamquin posted:

Got a bit of an annoyance - one of my GPU fans started rattling and the place I purchased it from offered to just straight up exchange it for a slightly used variant (Grade B - which they note as "The product may have screw marks in fasteners") as it was the only one of the model they had left plus some store credit for future purchases.

Fair enough, it's sitting in a case below my desk where I'll never look at it. So it arrived today on Friday, I unpack it to install it and... uh.

I have no idea what the previous owner did with this thing before returning it to the shop, but the IO panel is bent to the point I can't screw both screw in. Is this an "Oh hell no" scenario with GPUs, or can it hold on fine with just one screw? I tried lightly bending it back, but it didn't budge.

I’d be less worried about screwing it and and more concerned with what other damage isn’t as immediately visible.

Return that poo poo that’s hosed up.