Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s an equivalent to the 717 and formerly DC-9-50

Both 717s were 5-abreast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does an asymmetric seat layout (3-2, etc) impact how the plane is designed or is that not much of a concern since the extra column of seats is close to the center?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Asymmetrical seat planes look a lot like pro bowlers, one arm is noticably larger than the other

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Annoyed chat bot: the A220-100 is ABC DE five abreast

It's been a long time since I've been on one but I vaguely remember previous 5-wide planes (like the DC-9 and family) being ABC DF or maybe AC DEF, which seems less confusing since it upholds the "A/F are windows, C/D are aisle" that people are used to. Did I just imagine that or did Bombardier/Airbus decide they wanted to be different? Or did it depend on the airline?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

david_a posted:

Does an asymmetric seat layout (3-2, etc) impact how the plane is designed or is that not much of a concern since the extra column of seats is close to the center?

Passengers have annoying requirements like “personal space” and “room to breathe” and “emergency egress requirements” so they are extremely light as air cargo goes. Their precise average lateral CG position is probably generally only single-digit inches from the centerline, and easily trimmed out.

The only time I ever had an airplane get close to lateral CG limits was a DC-10 we loaded with bundles of drill pipe. They had to be centered on a cookie sheet and overhung an entire pallet position both fore and aft, and were too long to turn inside the airplane, so we had to have the same number on each side, and have them in juuuust the right cargo positions longitudinally. Oh, and then figure out the load order to make it happen.

The loadmaster got a few extra gray hairs on that one.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Pilot seat movement at center of LATAM 787-9 dive investigation

quote:

The focus of the investigation into an inflight upset aboard a LATAM Boeing 787-9 on March 11 has centered on the movement of a flight deck seat, two people briefed on the incident tell The Air Current.

quote:

One senior airline safety official briefed on the early facts said that based on the available information it was understood that the seat movement was "pilot induced, not intentionally" Another person familiar with the investigation said "the seat movement caused the nose down" attitude of the aircraft and added that the possibility of an electrical short was also under review.

Airbus discovered that drinks poured into the radio stack isn't conducive to ongoing operating of the A350's engines - I wonder what happened here to cause the unintentional seat movement.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Theris posted:

It's been a long time since I've been on one but I vaguely remember previous 5-wide planes (like the DC-9 and family) being ABC DF or maybe AC DEF, which seems less confusing since it upholds the "A/F are windows, C/D are aisle" that people are used to. Did I just imagine that or did Bombardier/Airbus decide they wanted to be different? Or did it depend on the airline?

Q400 Westjet goes AB|CD
Air Canada goes AC|DF

As someone who likes a window seat I was very disappointed the first time I rode an Air Canada Dash-8 and was in seat 17D

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So maybe this whole thing will turn out to be "one of the pilots was moving their seat up while holding onto the yoke and accidentally pushed it way forward"? FFS.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Copilot pranked the pilot flying at a very inopportune moment.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jonny Nox posted:

Q400 Westjet goes AB|CD
Air Canada goes AC|DF

As someone who likes a window seat I was very disappointed the first time I rode an Air Canada Dash-8 and was in seat 17D

I rode one of Alaska’s 737-400Cs before they went away, and picked 17F, not fully grokking at the time that you load the pax from the aft door. :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wombot posted:

Airbus discovered that drinks poured into the radio stack isn't conducive to ongoing operating of the A350's engines - I wonder what happened here to cause the unintentional seat movement.
Problem exists between seat and yoke

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Theris posted:

It's airline dependent. If I recall correctly, Delta was running DC-9-50s and MD-88s that had different patterns on five wide, one was AB and DEF and one was ABC EF.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Wombot posted:

Turns out Cessna makes the 787 cockpit seats.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Goddamn the ticket kiosk had a warning for RealID being mandatory in 2025 now lmao

I feel like the initial compliance date was like, 2005? Holy poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
RealID mandates are like Godot

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

My dad said that on one flight where they had some sort of issue and had to turn around the captain did something like that

…circa 1980

Had a captain tell us "Sorry for the delay but we had a light shining that wasn't supposed to so we had a tech over and now it's not shining any more so we're good to go".

No mention about the actual issue just that the lightbulb is now off.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Goddamn the ticket kiosk had a warning for RealID being mandatory in 2025 now lmao

I feel like the initial compliance date was like, 2005? Holy poo poo

I got the real ID license so it my fault they pushed it back. Sorry.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

We really are through the looking glass, people

Apparently that Boeing dude was predicting he'd be killed?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Just a quick thought. Any one single person with something to hide or protect could decide to murder for their very personal benefit. The guy might very possibly be a victim without some great mega company's movie plot-y outlandish conspiracy, simply because a single psychopath is trying to avoid personal consequences and doubling down

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Just a quick thought. Any one single person with something to hide or protect could decide to murder for their very personal benefit. The guy might very possibly be a victim without some great mega company's movie plot-y outlandish conspiracy, simply because a single psychopath is trying to avoid personal consequences and doubling down

That's an entirely fair point.

Not the best look for Boeing, regardless

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Counting the days until the fall of the house of Boeing spawns articles predicting the rise of fabless aviation design houses* and aerospace forge corporations**

*engineering firms and **lego manufactories
*design bureaus and **factory organisations

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It’s company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a murder. Always use the indefinite article: a murder, never our murder.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Stochastic corporate assassination was, in fact, the cyberpunk future we were promised.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Platystemon posted:

It’s company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a murder. Always use the indefinite article: a murder, never our murder.

Found the PG&E spokesman

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Second World War was fought in less time than it has taken PG$E to fail to update their lines and pipes.

It turns out that it’s cheaper to run television commercials stroking their own cocks.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

The article announcing he'd been found dead went to print with a press release from Boeing PR calling it "tragic". I think they missed that policy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hells Angels takes a similar stance when its members are arrested.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Platystemon posted:

I am Jack’s Alaskan Airline exit-row seat. I am left unbolted, I kill Jack.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thoughts on the latest Scott Manley video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYMewo1JTzI

Mrs and I watched it and she said "wait, is he really going to take off with a real risk of losing his instruments?" I know it was a short hop and a calculated risk, but I'm a little surprised he went through with it. Appreciate insights from others that are more educated than us in the subject.I realize the aircraft wasn't so much having a mechanical issue as a switch in the wrong position which wasn't caught, but obviously that wasn't realized at the time so I assume that the default consideration would be an issue with the aircraft?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 15, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

In my opinion, its VFR Day, with an instructor and ForeFlight on a separate device, it's *okay*. Losing radio is less than optimal, but I can understand the desire to have a broken charging system at your home airport vs some other airport.

Edit: I was thinking about it at lunch, and one thing he mentioned is if he lost his avionics he'd lose his airspeed indicator, and he has to be going under 75mph to deploy flaps. I would have liked to brief a no-flaps landing before taking off.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 15, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

RESET THE CLOCK

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1768788704376590793

Warbird fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 16, 2024

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Here's a cool picture of a normal plane

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1768767927065715164

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

We need to stop overstating BOEING and start noting "UNITED." I'm seeing a bunch of United maintenance woes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
United and Boeing just gonna Thelma and Louise this poo poo huh?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also apparently the Dreamliner that took the unexpected five the other day... Boeing sent out an alert that it could be because of a problem with loose pilot switches and not just on that one plane.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

We need to stop overstating BOEING and start noting "UNITED." I'm seeing a bunch of United maintenance woes.

Definitely United, but also Alaska at least, if not also American. Delta so far hasn't had any major MX related issues make the news. Just today it was reported that there were reasonably obvious tells the plug door on AS1282 was loose, but despite concerns raised by FAs and passengers it didn't get any attention until a predictive maintenance tool tagged it for inspection (slated for the day after the blowout occurred).

Boeing's new planes are poo poo, and the old ones that are good are getting poo poo maintenance.

FAA has let both sides go lax and are now trying to herd those genies back in the bottles.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Per WSJ

quote:

A Latam Airlines flight attendant hit a switch on the pilot’s seat while serving a meal, leading a motorized feature to push the pilot into the controls and push down the plane’s nose, according to U.S. industry officials briefed on preliminary evidence from an investigation. The switch, on the back of the chair, is usually covered and isn’t supposed to be used when a pilot is in the seat.

Boeing issued a memo late Thursday to operators of 787 jets recommending that they inspect the cockpit chairs for loose covers on the switches and instructing them how to turn off power to the pilot seat motor if needed. Boeing said it is considering updates to flight crew manuals.

https://archive.ph/bTcOs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^ the holes in this piece of cheese are going to be interesting

I’m not sure how true it is anymore but Delta TechOps was uniquely capable of heavy airframe and engine maintenance among the airlines and actually did it for a lot of others.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

.... why are we still using yokes?