Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

shrike82 posted:

it's too bad apple doesn't take gaming seriously. i picked up a 14" m3 pro MBP for use while holidaying and it's just much better to use than my travel gaming laptop (zephyrus g14 with a 4090).

the latter uses a relatively efficient AMD chip but at best and with a lot of power management lasts maybe 6-7 hours for non-gaming tasks. the MBP could conservatively do 14-15 hours.

I think a lot of people slept on MacBooks, they’re amazingly efficient little laptops with the new ARM chips.

I still wouldn’t recommend game devs to design for Mac because it’s just not in Apple’s culture, and they don’t give a gently caress about changing some deep level feature that would break your game forever (heck some tiny apps have trouble with Apple yearly updates, imagine a game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Cicero posted:

Okay it is definitely the CPU getting throttled. Couldn't screenshot the active clock window because it changed as soon as I hit print screen or alt-tabbed out of the game, but:

lol

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Shipping Options:
-Ground
-Air
-Donnybrook

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Lamquin posted:

Got a bit of an annoyance - one of my GPU fans started rattling and the place I purchased it from offered to just straight up exchange it for a slightly used variant (Grade B - which they note as "The product may have screw marks in fasteners") as it was the only one of the model they had left plus some store credit for future purchases.

Fair enough, it's sitting in a case below my desk where I'll never look at it. So it arrived today on Friday, I unpack it to install it and... uh.

I have no idea what the previous owner did with this thing before returning it to the shop, but the IO panel is bent to the point I can't screw both screw in. Is this an "Oh hell no" scenario with GPUs, or can it hold on fine with just one screw? I tried lightly bending it back, but it didn't budge.

I don't know how it could possibly get that bent without damaging the PCB. Return.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

thats normal paste application for a laptop and i dont see any obvious missed spots on the die. possible that it dried out or wasnt getting good mounting pressure tho

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Cygni posted:

thats normal paste application for a laptop and i dont see any obvious missed spots on the die. possible that it dried out or wasnt getting good mounting pressure tho
Really? It looks really bad to me. The GPU, by contrast, had a nice even coat with no missing spots.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cicero posted:

Really? It looks really bad to me. The GPU, by contrast, had a nice even coat with no missing spots.

ideally when you apply appropriate mounting pressure, the paste will squeeze out of the sides. in a perfect world, you want an insanely thin layer of paste between the cooler and the die, as few atoms as is feasible to fill in the microscopic imperfections between the two flat surfaces.

it's hard to tell from a picture if the die there had good coverage because removing the cooler breaks the seal and moves stuff around, but a big blob and a big squeeze with a lot of it ending up on the substrate is normal in laptop (and GPU) land. using too little can be very bad, but using too much normally doesn't hurt anything, so the OEMs go hog wild.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

To me it looks like they squeezed too hard relative to how much paste they put in or something and parts of the CPU ended up with little/no paste.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I think a lot of people slept on MacBooks, they’re amazingly efficient little laptops with the new ARM chips.

I still wouldn’t recommend game devs to design for Mac because it’s just not in Apple’s culture, and they don’t give a gently caress about changing some deep level feature that would break your game forever (heck some tiny apps have trouble with Apple yearly updates, imagine a game)

If Apple becomes a good platform for games, it’ll be like Linux where developers just target Win64 and let Apple/whoever maintain the compatibility layer.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Return that poo poo that’s hosed up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cicero posted:

To me it looks like they squeezed too hard relative to how much paste they put in or something and parts of the CPU ended up with little/no paste.

There's really no such thing as squeezing too hard, as long as you're not cracking the die or anything. And again, having very little paste left is the goal. And we can't really tell what it was like while the cooler was attached with that shot since the paste shifts or gets stuck to the cooler too.

edit: with the way the paste is blobbed together in some spots and also spread out around the die in all directions, i'd say it's very unlikely for there to have been inadequate coverage on any part of the die.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 16, 2024

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’d be less worried about screwing it and and more concerned with what other damage isn’t as immediately visible.

Return that poo poo that’s hosed up.

DoombatINC posted:

Shipping Options:
-Ground
-Air
-Donnybrook

VectorSigma posted:

I don't know how it could possibly get that bent without damaging the PCB. Return.

... Yeaaaah. Thanks for the second opinion everyone, that's pretty much what my gut was telling me too. Glad to hear I wasn't being just paranoid. :)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Subjunctive posted:

If Apple becomes a good platform for games, it’ll be like Linux where developers just target Win64 and let Apple/whoever maintain the compatibility layer.

lol Apple outright killed Bootcamp when they switched to ARM. no fucks given. compatability layer, lmao and rofl

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lol Apple outright killed Bootcamp when they switched to ARM. no fucks given. compatability layer, lmao and rofl

You done need to run Windows to run Windows applications. SteamOS / the Steam Deck have zero Windows but some Windows games and applications perform better there than in their native habitat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

not sure where to ask this because it likely isn't gpu related, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction:

about every 3 to 4 seconds (seems regular) i get a very noticeable split second hitch (like a lag spike in an online game). i noticed it in game first, but it happens anywhere on desktop too. any idea how to start diagnosing what's up? "System" is what seems to jump up in CPU use in task manager at approximately the same time.

It actually does seem to be somewhat GPU related. As soon as I unplugged my second monitor (that was off, e:or more accurately powered on, but sleeping), the issue disappeared. Turning it on and extending also seems to work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

You done need to run Windows to run Windows applications. SteamOS / the Steam Deck have zero Windows but some Windows games and applications perform better there than in their native habitat.

The guys who make crossover also work on proton for the deck / Linux

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they don’t need boot camp, just a stronger version of their game compatibility prototyping kit, likely built along the lines of Proton

plus Rosetta 2, which they might want to EOL sooner rather than later, but that’s a choice in front of them

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bootcamp was for x86 Macs, and it was nothing short of a miracle that they kept it around as long as they did; it's entire existence essentially became dedicated toward "lol let's make life easier for education-based IT admins to allow students to select macOS or Windows so that university computing centers get filled with iMacs", with the occasional person who wanted to dual-boot for gaming in lieu of building a separate system/having a gaming laptop/owning a console.

Also Windows for ARM is not very good, and running x86 apps on it is not great. So why should Apple put any fucks/effort into that steaming pile of poo poo, knowing that Parallels and VM Ware will do just that.

Subjunctive posted:

they don’t need boot camp, just a stronger version of their game compatibility prototyping kit, likely built along the lines of Proton

plus Rosetta 2, which they might want to EOL sooner rather than later, but that’s a choice in front of them

Rosetta 2 is effectively in-house software, so I'd expect it to be around for a while. Rosetta 1 was licensed so they really wanted to drop support as fast as they could at the time.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

rosetta 2 will also need beefing up if it's to be a long term solution for playing games, it can't run AVX code and games are beginning to require that now

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

kliras posted:

it's still weird to me how cheap the proart supers are, at least in the eu. they're basically asus' premium model. maybe they're just easy to manufacture

In the UK at least they are still generally pricey. Asus has them listed at sensible rrp on their web shop, but with Nvidia FE level of stock holding, and everywhere else just bumps the price up.
They do look likw they'd cost less as far as materials go since they are not massive and overbuilt, and thankfully, no rgb. I guess they sell fewer though since the majority of "capital G Gamers" love that poo poo.

Anyway, I was so excited to see one so (relativity) cheap that I neglected to pick the saturday delivery option and now I have to wait another 2 days for it to arrive. Feel like a kid at a postponed christmas.
Seriously though, you'd think that when spending £1350 (got a cpu too) they'd just automatically wave the loving £3 surcharge.

-edit-
Haha, just got an email saying that my driver Ivan will be here with my deliver in an hour.
Weird, but good.

I wonder just how much it (4080 soop) will be than my outgoing (laptop) 3050 with 4GB VRAM? Fuckloads I assume.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 16, 2024

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Jiro posted:

The console noise is always something I don't look forward to. It's made me seriously consider if I ever get a ps5, I'm going to try and water block it.

? The PS5 is extremely quiet at full load, it's huge for a reason.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Judging by the playstation branding, I'm assuming this is developed by Sony for use with their consoles (probably just the PS5 Pro at first). AMD is reportedly developing their own AI accelerated version of FSR, which will probably be different.

From what I understand the licensing agreement basically lets AMD employ the tech that they co-develop with Sony in their APU's. It won't have the Sony branding of course, but very likely the underpinnings of their AI upscaling for RDNA4 will be very similar.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

? The PS5 is extremely quiet at full load, it's huge for a reason.

the disc drive, however, is obnoxiously loud

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sure, for the whole five second it spins up to do a glorified DRM check.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

why does your aftermarket SSD make noise?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

My brand new ProArt 4080 S has a clicking/rattling/vibrating fan, straight out of the box, fuuuuck.
The "side" ones are totally fine, but the middle one is an annoying bastard. Ah well, the retailer has some sort of 48 hour swap-out thing at least. I really hope they stay in stock while they reply to my RMA ticket as other than this, hopefully rare issue, the card is a thing of beauty.
I do all sorts of repairs such as chip re-balling, micro-soldering etc and I reckon I could easily fix it, or change that fan, but it cost a grand so nah, not this time.
Kind of ironic as I decided against a Gigabyte card as I had one develop this problem in the past.

Haha, while writing this post my (also new) PSU started to click weirdly when changing speed, but I've fixed that by poking it (gently) with a (plastic) stick.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

YerDa Zabam posted:

My brand new ProArt 4080 S has a clicking/rattling/vibrating fan, straight out of the box, fuuuuck.
The "side" ones are totally fine, but the middle one is an annoying bastard. Ah well, the retailer has some sort of 48 hour swap-out thing at least. I really hope they stay in stock while they reply to my RMA ticket as other than this, hopefully rare issue, the card is a thing of beauty.
I do all sorts of repairs such as chip re-balling, micro-soldering etc and I reckon I could easily fix it, or change that fan, but it cost a grand so nah, not this time.
Kind of ironic as I decided against a Gigabyte card as I had one develop this problem in the past.

Haha, while writing this post my (also new) PSU started to click weirdly when changing speed, but I've fixed that by poking it (gently) with a (plastic) stick.

Are you sure that it's not some errant wire or cable getting hit by the fan blade? While it's definitely possible, it does seem odd that you have two brand new components with noisy fans.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Branch Nvidian posted:

Are you sure that it's not some errant wire or cable getting hit by the fan blade? While it's definitely possible, it does seem odd that you have two brand new components with noisy fans.

I know what you mean, but nah, I've been over it all with the proverbial magnifying glass. Had it all out the bench too.
The psu fan is touching something just as it speeds up or slows down from the zero setting. Can't see inside, but it just sounds like plastic against metal. Definitely coming from in the psu.
The fan in the GPU, is definitely the bearing. I can actual feel it if I move the fan gently by hand. Bumpy/rough feeling that you get in really old failing fans usually.
If I manually set the dodgy fan to 20% and leave the other 2 to auto it's fine, and even with fur mark blasting it, nothing gets much higher than the low 70c level, and it sounds totally acceptable. gently caress that on such a pricey item though. Won't help the resale value either.
Other than the fault, the card is really great, I hope they cans swap it out, like for like. Or just change the fan.
Just (double) bad luck.

Unsurprisingly, the jump form laptop 3050 to 4080 (and 7800x3d) is insane though. The fluidity is as impressive as the looks.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

YerDa Zabam posted:

I know what you mean, but nah, I've been over it all with the proverbial magnifying glass. Had it all out the bench too.
The psu fan is touching something just as it speeds up or slows down from the zero setting. Can't see inside, but it just sounds like plastic against metal. Definitely coming from in the psu.
The fan in the GPU, is definitely the bearing. I can actual feel it if I move the fan gently by hand. Bumpy/rough feeling that you get in really old failing fans usually.
If I manually set the dodgy fan to 20% and leave the other 2 to auto it's fine, and even with fur mark blasting it, nothing gets much higher than the low 70c level, and it sounds totally acceptable. gently caress that on such a pricey item though. Won't help the resale value either.
Other than the fault, the card is really great, I hope they cans swap it out, like for like. Or just change the fan.
Just (double) bad luck.

Unsurprisingly, the jump form laptop 3050 to 4080 (and 7800x3d) is insane though. The fluidity is as impressive as the looks.

Do you live near some kind of solar flare magnetic storm or something?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2F8yisiS6E

Jensen has a GTC talk tomorrow at 1PM PDT. Expect the phrase AI tens of thousands of times and nothing for desktop. Nvidias new biggest, baddest huge dual-die Blackwell B100 AI accelerator is rumored to be the topic.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 18, 2024

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Rinkles posted:

not sure where to ask this because it likely isn't gpu related, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction:

about every 3 to 4 seconds (seems regular) i get a very noticeable split second hitch (like a lag spike in an online game). i noticed it in game first, but it happens anywhere on desktop too. any idea how to start diagnosing what's up? "System" is what seems to jump up in CPU use in task manager at approximately the same time.
Try running a scan with latencymon.

Run memtest64+ and check your storage drive?
Is your power supply like 10 years old?

All drivers up to date? Maybe a bios update for USB studdering or something exists?

Maybe a fresh install of windows failing that or "refresh" it

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

hark posted:

Do you live near some kind of solar flare magnetic storm or something?

Haha, maybe my old famously magnetic personality is returning. Hope not, I can't afford stupidly overpriced graphics cards and human relationships. One or the other sadly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Try running a scan with latencymon.

Run memtest64+ and check your storage drive?
Is your power supply like 10 years old?

All drivers up to date? Maybe a bios update for USB studdering or something exists?

Maybe a fresh install of windows failing that or "refresh" it

it was somehow my monitor causing it. with it connected but sleeping (this was a secondary monitor, and i was using the "PC screen Only" projection option with my main monitor) i'd get that periodic hiccup. as soon as it was turned on (extend or duplicate projection modes) or disconnected entirely, the issue disappeared. i have no idea what would cause this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Easy fix for that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_peEXvpcU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe a useful lifehack for rtx havers here

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cygni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2F8yisiS6E

Jensen has a GTC talk tomorrow at 1PM PDT. Expect the phrase AI tens of thousands of times and nothing for desktop. Nvidias new biggest, baddest huge dual-die Blackwell B100 AI accelerator is rumored to be the topic.

were live for 2024 AI fest part 10,000

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"We built another chip!"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuZLGJCl8bI

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

could prob make a banger remix with those samples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Cats in my gpu again