Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Medieval 2 had great sieges. It's been awhile so this may be foggy but you could garrison your own mix of units (up to a certain amount) that were free upkeep on top of the regular garrison as long as they were militia so if you're Venice you take like 6 pavise crossbowmen and 2 cavlarly to go wreck their siege equipment. The defensive towers were very strong, especially when you upgrade them. There were no ladders that every units could deploy, and even your most basic peasant with a bow had flaming arrows to destroy oncomming siege towers and rams. There was also a distinction between castles and cities though so most cities which were probably most of what you had were fairly vulnerable (unless you were an Italian I guess) and you'd only have maybe 2-3 castles to recruit new armies in. Sort of like the Total Warhammer games I guess with the way you can build different things in settlements but the divide was more extreme. Replenishing was also extremely hardcore in that game, in fact I don't think it even existed. You had to combine units and recruit new ones. This made for a much slower game overall.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Pre-Shogun 2 replenishment was manual, you had to garrison units in cities and then click on each of them to get them replenished lol

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Azran posted:

Pre-Shogun 2 replenishment was manual, you had to garrison units in cities and then click on each of them to get them replenished lol

Did you also need the actual building for that troop there? Empire was definitely how you're describing but I remember Medieval 2 being even more hardcore than that.

Oh also all agent interactions were on the map, including diplomacy. Want you talk to your neighbor? Hope you have a few turns for the diplomat to walk over and he doesn't get assassinated on the way.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah, any troop could be retrained in a town with a good blacksmith to be upgraded, but they wouldn't actually receive new men unless they were retrained in a settlement that could recruit that unit. And each town had a limited pool of recruitable units, which (I believe) was reset when you captured it, so your armies would genuinely get worn down as you went a-conquering; unless you were very good with losses, you needed to send your boys back to friendly territory to be replenished, and cycle in fresh troops in the meantime.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
good riddance to non-replenishment but i do really miss the ability to retrain units in order to get like, weapon and armor upgrades from provincial bonuses. for the most part these dont exist anymore but i know for a fact that yuan bo can get +20 armor to recruited units using his military district ability

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kazzah posted:

And each town had a limited pool of recruitable units, which (I believe) was reset when you captured it, so your armies would genuinely get worn down as you went a-conquering; unless you were very good with losses, you needed to send your boys back to friendly territory to be replenished, and cycle in fresh troops in the meantime.

I don't remember a limit per se, but you needed the building and (I think) enough population to draw from. You could gently caress up your cities if you drew enough peasants from them.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Oh also all agent interactions were on the map, including diplomacy. Want you talk to your neighbor? Hope you have a few turns for the diplomat to walk over and he doesn't get assassinated on the way.

lol this sounds amazing (on paper)

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
M2 kept the RTW thing where replenishing troops lowered their chevrons too, right?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
yep

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Medieval 2 had great sieges. It's been awhile so this may be foggy but you could garrison your own mix of units (up to a certain amount) that were free upkeep on top of the regular garrison as long as they were militia so if you're Venice you take like 6 pavise crossbowmen and 2 cavlarly to go wreck their siege equipment. The defensive towers were very strong, especially when you upgrade them. There were no ladders that every units could deploy, and even your most basic peasant with a bow had flaming arrows to destroy oncomming siege towers and rams. There was also a distinction between castles and cities though so most cities which were probably most of what you had were fairly vulnerable (unless you were an Italian I guess) and you'd only have maybe 2-3 castles to recruit new armies in. Sort of like the Total Warhammer games I guess with the way you can build different things in settlements but the divide was more extreme. Replenishing was also extremely hardcore in that game, in fact I don't think it even existed. You had to combine units and recruit new ones. This made for a much slower game overall.

You don’t have to rely on hazy memory, Medieval 2 still exists. It can be played right now. I did recently. The sieges suck rear end. The best sieges are in Thrones of Britannia where the map is really pretty but the garrison is tiny.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lords of the Realm 2 had the best sieges, you had to dig your way past the moat, then would capture the castle by getting a single horseman into the keep. Quite painless!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

these new kislevite warriors are a great low tier addition but do armored kossars still beat them in terms of meat shield effectiveness? im tempted to run a frontline of greatweapon kossars if i really want that AP damage against chaos warriors or whatever
It depends.

If you really want melee AP for relatively cheap (ie not tzar guard) then I think GW will be better for you. They lose 6 MD and 20 models but gain 50 armor, 12 MA, 12 health per model (net slight HP loss) and some extra damage. Plus their gun attack, which doesn't do much AP but is still really nice against unarmored troops and makes them more flexible. Shielded armored kossars keep the same MD but gain armor, a silver shield, and the 12 MA but have no AP to speak of.

All three have their uses though, especially if you don't have cav that can clear the field of their cavalry or large units. (I still think tzar guard should get bardiches). Personally I don't use GW armored kossars very much once I get streltsi because they kill the same melee niche but have much better ranged characteristics, but armored kossars and warriors stay in my armies through the endgame. I only phase out warriors once I can get war bear riders, honestly, but they stop being my main melee line and become flanking guards depending on what I'm facing. Armored kossars are just so durable even if they'll only kill unarmored enemies that they have a place in any army (unless you're fighting something like all trolls or mammoths or something).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
gotcha, good point on maybe just leaning harder into streltsi. i dont think their melee stats are particularly impressive, designated hybrid or not, but i do believe in killing as many enemies as i can before the melee commences being a good way to win fights

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

gotcha, good point on maybe just leaning harder into streltsi. i dont think their melee stats are particularly impressive, designated hybrid or not, but i do believe in killing as many enemies as i can before the melee commences being a good way to win fights
Yeah, I just don't like GW armored kossars that much. The loss to their MD compared to base feels too high. In theory, I really like a unit that has a powerful ranged attack against unarmored troops and a good AP attack as a versatile troop that just needs to fight differently against different types but it feels like they just aren't good enough at it. Streltsi may lose out hard in the MD department to GW AKs but their attack stats are pretty drat close to being the same. That, and I find moving my troops around to line up where my AP troops are compared to their armored forces ends up not helping that much. Knowing my armored kossars can hold the line long enough against most forces while I shoot/magic/cavalry/sled/bear their armored troops works slightly better imo.

Maybe I need to play around with GW AKs more. They might be better than I give them credit for at killing armored, shielded infantry. Usually I just dump some Blizzards on them.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
sieges were never good but always better than now

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

you could replenish, but it came out of the recruitment pool eg you could recruit 3 more units of dismounted nobles or replenish the equivalent of 3 units worth of men, or a mix of both. the units would also be trained as their own in a recruitment pool, and then you could mobilise them if you had the money, so if you lost several family members and their armies in battles against the mongols (see my turkish campaign many years ago) and were suddenly flush with cash you could recruit a new army fast, as long as you didn't mind them being from a collection of units and not just some doomstack (please ignore the increasing numbers of plate armoured swordsmen in later game, and 4 separate types of longbowmen for england)

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Did you also need the actual building for that troop there? Empire was definitely how you're describing but I remember Medieval 2 being even more hardcore than that.

When did they make them maps and not just chess pieces you moved around the map awkwardly?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

When did they make them maps and not just chess pieces you moved around the map awkwardly?

god, i miss you, risk map

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yep. They'll never go back, but they really ought to go back.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Ok grandpa

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

Rome I think.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

mmkay posted:

Rome I think.

Yep, shogun 1 and medieval 1 were risk maps. Rome 1 added the big overland map and frankly it has been worse since imo.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

mmkay posted:

Rome I think.

Correct (I also think).

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah rome tw was the changeover. It's never coming back. Your only hope is a re release or some sort mobile spin off

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Alright everybody I've been thinking it over. I declare the best TW to be the first one I played.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

someday they're gonna make would-be players buy odd-numbered packs of random dudes in order to build armies or pay exorbitant prices for big individual stuff/lords and every new edition they'll phase out older versions units, forcing you to buy new ones if you want to keep playing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
CA has heard your complaints about siege and a desire to return to WH2 mechanics, so in the next patch whenever you go to siege a city instead of fighting a battle you will be asked to solve a sudoku puzzle through a multiple choice question, two of the choices will be correct but only one will be the allowed answer.

Or you'll have to solve one of these.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

When you go to do a siege, it boots up a shogun 2 map.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

wiegieman posted:

When you go to do a siege, it boots up a shogun 2 map.

Hooray they'd be fun that way

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I like the gate battles in hams but literally every single time at least one enemy unit that climbs the walls will break and retreat further into the base and recover behind my lines, just intolerable

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
ngl modders are making siege maps and all and im kinda frustrated that not one of them was like...ill just make a bunch of really simple siege maps that the ai has less of a chance loving up, with bigass streets and only one side to orient towards or whatever

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Yeah, there's a bunch of LORE ACCURATE mods that make elaborate siege maps full of choke points and kill zones and they just sound miserable to fight on (unless you're defending)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I appreciate the challenges of having to work around all kinds of armies by all kinds of factions in TWH3 and making a siege map that feels fun for the attacker and defender for the majority of factions is an unenviable task, so the real question is how well did seiges work in Troy and Pharoah?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
no one remembers troy

no one played pharoah

it will be a mystery forever

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CA overcomplicates sieges. Just change the aesthetic of the bridge maps and add a tower or two for the defenders. That's such a huge advantage on its own and instead of it being a chasm covered by a bridge have it be a big beefy wall with a big ol' hole smashed out of it. Most siege maps either get the scale of the fort/city very, very wrong or it all goes unused.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
it's odd that the Grom/Eltharion siege didn't become the blueprint for them going foward as it's the most fun sieges have ever been in tww

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

is that the one where you hide grom in a forest for 40 minutes and win

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Settra is the best TK start, embrace thunderdome and routinely get 1.2k kills with your lord

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Third World Reagan posted:

no one remembers troy

no one played pharoah

it will be a mystery forever

It's weird because they literally gave troy away and still nobody played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I put maybe 30 turns into troy, maybe