Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

also the communist are about to die as a semi relevant party, as always Portugal is 30 years behind the general trend in the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Maybe, but the fact that the CGTP is still around kicking and moving means that Communism as an ideal is still kicking around as a movement. If it can mobilize regarding Palestine or about getting people paid, I don't think the PCP having a smaller share of votes these days wouldn't change potential worker action these days. Hearing the guy before Raimundo point this out and having the press response being "ok so you are going to protest about the will of the people?" is specially thick on a country where you can see labor action still going even during times where PCP would enjoy a higher share in the parliament.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Mar 10, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
There was more people voting this time than in over 20 years so maybe it's a good sign, we'll see, I doubt any government out of this will last the entire run and Marcelo will go for a hat trick in taking down the assembly

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The exit polls lean to a close tie between ad and ps, with ad leading by a bit.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
chega got the third most deputies so yeah, this sucks, not a big surprise, i guess it could have been worse
SLB is on in 15 mins

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'm saying side by side bc atm if you go by both head count, technically the left has slightly more votes, but I'll wait until all is counted. No Gerigonca so far, and no chance of AD leading the charge unless he joins with Chega, which will be one hell of a betrayal.

Sic telling people how to "vote properly" was one hell of a thing, I guess they dropped the pretense at this point now that their party is on route to be the leader. Even if this means that they're gonna pender more to a party whose people were directly threatening them on the police protests.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Mar 10, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
lol ok the results just keep getting worse and worse this poo poo sucks

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Chega's results are an embarassment, and as predicted the communist party has the worst result ever.
I can perfectly see AD and IL in a coalition, supported by Chega in the parliament.
We're screwed.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I made the joke that these elections were gonna be like Z-fighting, but on the sense of two overlapping planes flashing than anything too exciting.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Chega's results are an embarassment, and as predicted the communist party has the worst result ever.
I can perfectly see AD and IL in a coalition, supported by Chega in the parliament.
We're screwed.

chega second in lisbon is craaazy but in hindsight, not that surprising given how many people have been anxious over insecurity and want to feel the boot of a cop on their throat
anyways, whoever wants Avante EPs talk to me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

chega second in lisbon is craaazy but in hindsight, not that surprising given how many people have been anxious over insecurity and want to feel the boot of a cop on their throat
anyways, whoever wants Avante EPs talk to me

literal insecurity? was crime a big issue this election?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

i say swears online posted:

perceived insecurity, we have one of the lowest crime rates in europe but the fascist party, platformed by the media, and cops unions have been on a warpath about it, and people have been feeling more anxious about everything else so I guess that was a easy lick
what are you gonna say to people once they believe theyre in constant danger? I swear some people need a good slap in the face and smell the ashes

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

i say swears online posted:

Crime, corruption, immigration is the Chega playbook, just like most european fascist parties.
Even if none of them is a serious problem in Portugal, compared to the rising cost of living, the lack of affordable habitation, the brain drain, the state of our nhs, the permanent understaffing and underfunding of public services and so on.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Kunster posted:

The fact that there is no one here trying to tell you that Chega is the actual secret ultra hyper key to acheive true leftism™ should tell you that yes, them being around is bad news, so both major parties are hoping to avoid that situation. However, it was finally addressed that our elections had way more time to do debate and speech commentary than actual coverage of issues or elections and that perhaps political commentators have too much power. The answer to that, so far, was a Publico Saturday post on how that is conceded, then they should address the left-wing bias in journalism bc reporters or university professors have twitter or facebook or linkedin accounts where they can just QRT the post and go "what is this poo poo?" It should be reminded that the originator of that post was a guy that took a week vacation from his cosy commentary spot to go to a different newspaper to cry about that newspapers "Staff filled to the brim with dick-cutting feminists" and happily returned to his post and one time dumped his kids on the home of the PM to protest a leap day since they were disturbing his WFH job.

which lovely commentator is this?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Joao Miguel Tavares.

... Huh ps conceded. Weird, as he could have gotten another Geringonça going and there was still people to fill in. Oh well, that's gonna be a big rear end opposition.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
literally anything could happen from these results lol

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I went to bad a bit angry at Pedro Nuno Santos for conceeding and I woke up today and I noticed that he has now a bigger share. The President, AD and the libertarians don't want Chega to be involved on a government solution, so if they go ahead in a AD+IL thing, It's either gonna be a rule where Chega is just there to approve whatever (Or Not out of spite since they tend to be a wildcard at times) and the left coalition would just have a good chance to block everything. I thought this was a nice loser at first but... what can you do?

Again, they loving freaked out about ONE ADN SEAT! They can't "Oh its totes like Jill Stein!!" this because the voting share is absurdedly small if they were out of the picture! They would be on the same situation even if ADN didn't wander in like a confused dog. The electoral commission was totally right about this I'm sorry.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It prob plays smarter to play opposition against a unruly coalition than lead on the same conditions and maybe get overthrown again by the MP

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

even without the uh let’s say iffy law cases, this PS government was a train wreck. like I don’t think they’ll get a outright majority for the next decade plus.

actually, I don’t think any party will in the foreseeable future, we’ll probably become Belgium light.
boy, that’s gonna gently caress up marcelos legacy.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
So broadly what went wrong in Portugal? Standard social democrat bullshit?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

So broadly what went wrong in Portugal? Standard social democrat bullshit?

A bit of what went wrong with Europe in general with deindustrialisation in order to get that sweet EU money and pump Germany manufacturing, but more locally our revolution was stopped from outright bleeding the fascists and the stripping the elites of their gains, so they always hung around getting fat rich

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I would say a good positive of this election is that it managed to outright destroy Sic's reputation as being the more serious minded network of the bunch. They got what they wanted (PSD back in power, technically), but at the cost of breaking so much electoral standards and having the talking heads on the news weepingly asking the viewer to vote AD for the sake of democracy and screaming at the Bolsonaristas to vote for the real party and not their ""fake"" one, hours before the ballots closed.

Beforehand they had outright plausible deniability. Oh we accidently put a timer for Lula's arrest. Oh we accidently got a Bolsonarista as a "neutral" viewer after his elections. Oh we accidently covered a Syrian bombing like a pink magazine article. Oh we accidently let Cymerman post a stab vest advert in the middle of the ads for "worried ISraelis" with recreations of crazed Palestinians with no warning on the middle of the report. Oh we accidently cut out the case for Corbyn as being purely personality based. Oh we accidently let LMM outright threaten to Assange the poo poo out of the Luanda Leaks guy because he embarassed Cristiano Ronaldo. Oh we aci-

Sorry, the Portuguese now are aware they can either get semi-reasonable coverage on RTP or if they want slop, they can either go TVI, CNNPT or CM. They no longer need a Father Karras from Thief figure howling at them on how its populist to return the lost wages of teachers and how baby-like they were for demanding it, only for their party to Them forcibly return the wages. They don't have to put up with "YOu can save a lot of money if you just read the contracts for x y and z and end up selling most of your data or rights for a slightly smaller utility bill! This is the most reasonable thing ever!!!11". They killed Assussão Cristas's chance for an actual centre-ruling and ended up killing a chance for the "right candidate" they would endorse on any sort of foreign election because she dared to half endorse LGBTQ stuff or help the national healthcare system. Now they're stuck with a guy too scared to talk to Rui Tavares and , well, Andre Ventura eagerly waiting to see how big of a pie he's gonna get. I am amazed there's no Israeli embassador congratulations, that guy was the sole one on the Publico 10 Themes things outright asking for more help towards Israel!

There is no "The true path to leftism is to vote Chega and push it left" dipshits, so I'd say we're still somewhat reasonable on that front.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

The true path to leftism is to vote Chega and push it left,off a cliff

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1767479320350503383

that's allright, they'll just create a 99 year lease, it'll be fine

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I never would have joined the "we will put a base in your country" organisation had I known the consequences!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

double nine posted:

:australia: :cheers:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

double nine posted:

Could have thought about this a bit earlier imo

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

oh this is a hoot

https://dcweekly.org/2024/03/12/sweden-rejects-permanent-nato-bases-questions-need-for-nuclear-weapons-on-its-soil/

quote:

In a recent statement to the Turkish news agency Anadolu, Tobias Billström, the Swedish Minister of Foreign Affairs, made it clear that Sweden does not want permanent NATO bases in the country. While Sweden acknowledges the presence of NATO forces, the country has decided against hosting permanent alliance bases.

Additionally, Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson, during a press conference in Brussels, emphasized that Stockholm does not see the need for nuclear weapons to be stationed in the country during peacetime.

The protocol for Sweden’s accession to NATO officially came into effect on Thursday, March 7, as confirmed by the US State Department. On March 11, the Swedish flag was raised at NATO headquarters in Brussels, marking the country’s official membership in the alliance. However, Swedish representatives stated that there is currently no need for NATO bases or nuclear weapons to be deployed on Swedish soil.

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg expressed his satisfaction with Sweden’s inclusion, highlighting that Sweden’s membership strengthens NATO, enhances Sweden’s security, and makes the alliance more reliable.

It is worth noting that earlier in Sweden, the population was urged to stock up on canned food in case of a conflict with Russia.

[Additional Context: Sweden’s decision not to host permanent NATO bases reflects the country’s long-standing policy of neutrality. While the nation participates in NATO exercises and maintains partnerships with the alliance, it has refrained from full membership until now. Sweden’s commitment to peace and its desire to avoid escalating tensions with neighboring Russia have influenced its decision to reject permanent NATO bases. However, critics argue that this stance may leave Sweden vulnerable in a changing geopolitical landscape.]

"during peacetime" you say. Well, ukraine is currently at war, sooooooo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

double nine posted:

it's a stupid technicality with which these arseholes are much too pleased

basically what they do is make all the swedish bases "shared" bases, where US troops have sovereign jurisdiction and are not obliged to pay tolls or taxes or to submit to swedish inspection &c. this way, they're stationed in the shared bases, so there are no US bases! because journalists are blithering idiots this really does serve to distort the public conversation about this stuff. they pulled a similar trick in norway.

i hate it. i hate it. i hate it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Yes, the big red white and blue dick is going into our rear end in a top hat, but we're gaping so wide they're not technically *loving* us.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The Swedish intelligence services have been working in secret with the USA and the UK since at least 1954 as far as the public knows.

Why would you trust any public statement made by the Swedish government regarding neutrality.

Swedish television, SVT posted:

The Snowden Documents

08 December, 2013

NSA "asking for" specific exchanges from FRA - Secret treaty since 1954

Sweden is continuously providing the NSA with collection from the cables that FRA is listening to. In spite of Swedens previous status as a non-aligned country there have been secret agreements in place since 1954 with the USA on exchanges of intelligence. The last one is from 2011 and the exchange of intelligence has since then “burgeoned” In the top-secret documents the NSA writes that they are “asking for” specific exchanges but that the deal needs to be kept secret since it can harm Swedens “political neutrality”.

Swedish television, SVT, can now reveal new information concerning Sweden in the Snowden documents.

Since 2011, the US is granted access to cable collection performed by Swedish Government SIGINT Agency, the FRA. As recently as in 2004, after 50 years of secret cooperation, an even closer relation was established between the NSA and the FRA, through a bilateral agreement.

This appears in top-secret documents obtained by the SVT programme Uppdrag Granskning. For the first time ever we can now read, in plain text, exactly how close Swedish FRA is to its American SIGINT counterpart, the NSA. This document, dated April 18th of this year, clearly shows that the relation is very close indeed, seemingly growing even closer.

“NSA’s relationship with the FRA, an extremely competent, technically innovative, and trusted Third Party partner, continues to grow. The FRA provided NSA with access to its cable collection in 2011, providing unique collection on high-priority Russian targets”

Another document, dated this year, reads:

“NSA (…) would like to continue to collaborate on FRA’s cable access program, which has resulted in unique SIGINT reporting on a variety of high-priority SIGINT topics.”

Since 2011, the US has had access to the FRA’s cable collection in a completely new way, according to the Snowden documents. This is FRA:s version of the cooperation:

We don’t grant any other organisation direct access to our information, and we screen before we hand over information, we screen thoroughly. Swedes can rest assured with that, says Dag Hartelius, Director General FRA

The entire time, the FRA has alleged that it only serves Sweden, with the Swedish government as its principal.

– We never give full access to cables, it is always a selected amount of the material that we collect that we exchange with others, said FRA spokesperson Fredrik Wallin today to SVT news.

But this is what the NSA writes about its role and that of its British counterpart GCHQ regarding the FRA, which was established in a special, top-secret agreement:

"The paper (…) requires both of us to keep the other informed as to what we are doing with the FRA, and requires the FRA to dedupe if both GCHQ and we are separately asking for the same or similar exchanges."

But what does it mean when the Americans write that they have "access to FRA's cable collection"?

- I can not answer why it is written as it is in these alleged documents, says Fredrik Wallin.

The Snowden documents, obtained by the SVT programme Uppdrag Granskning, reveal that the cooperation was formalized as far back as in the 1950’s.

“NSA:s relationship with the Swedish SIGINT service, Forsvarets Radioanstalt (FRA) was established in 1954 under the UKUSA agreement.”

The Snowden documents establish that Sweden too was part of the UKUSA intelligence agreement between the US and Great Britain, along with a number of other partner nations. And as recently as in 2004, the close ties were made even closer. That’s when the NSA established a top-secret bilateral cooperation agreement directly with Sweden.

“As of April 2004, NSA, GcHQ and the FRA agreed to dissolve this part of the UKUSA agreement and hold bilateral exchanges on both COMINT and ELINT)".

“As a result of this change, our COMINT relationship with FRA has burgeoned on both sides.”

The Americans are fully aware of just how politically sensitive this is to Sweden. In a document dated June 6th of 2006 the NSA writes:

"The relationship with Sweden is protected at the TOP SECRET level because of that nation’s political neutrality."

The NSA has declined to give SVT an interview on their relation with the FRA, but has responded with a written statement that reads: “We are not going to comment publicly on every specific alleged intelligence activity, and the US government has made clear that the United States gathers foreign intelligence of the type gathered by all nations".

Reporters: Sven Bergman, Joachim Dyfvermark, Ryan Gallagher, Glenn Greenwald, Fredrik Laurin and Filip Struwe.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The Danish government wants to spend an additional 40.5 billion DKK on defense over the next four years and expand conscription from 4 to 11 months and include women.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
good luck to the danish broomstick brigades

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

The Danish government wants to spend an additional 40.5 billion DKK on defense over the next four years and expand conscription from 4 to 11 months and include women.

It seems like it was a poor idea to get rid of all their artillery then unless their plan was to radically depopulate themselves.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ardennes posted:

It seems like it was a poor idea to get rid of all their artillery then unless their plan was to radically depopulate themselves.

I simply won't stand for this slanderous disparagement of the proud Armed Forces of the Kingdom of Denmark, they have the Elbit ATMOS 2000 self-propelled gun system (singular).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ardennes posted:

they're only increasing the number of annual conscripts from 4.7k to 5k tho, so the money will probably mostly be for matériel

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carthag Tuek posted:

they're only increasing the number of annual conscripts from 4.7k to 5k tho, so the money will probably mostly be for matériel
bras for 300 big-boobed babes

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://x.com/jacobin/status/1767898457811898677?s=20

gradenko_2000 posted:

I posted this the other day:

the Programmed to Chill guy did some digging
code:
https://twitter.com/JimmyFalunGong/status/1768718806363308298
the author is Roman Broszowski

Broszowski lists himself as having worked for a group called "Notes from Poland", which calls itself a "grassroots social-media service"

here is a link to the National Endowment for Democracy giving a grant of 126,500.00 to Notes from Poland in 2021

Broszowski's LinkedIn also says he used to intern for Josh Gottheimer (D-NJ), Jim Johnson (Treasury Undersecretary under Clinton, failed NJ Governor candidate), Chrissy Houlahan (D-PA), and Ken Harbaugh (D-OH)

according to his LinkedIn, when he was getting his Bachelor's in Oberlin College, he received a grant from OCREECAS to cover the 2019 Polish parliamentary elections

OCREECAS is the Center for Russian, Eastern European, and Central Asian Studies. It was founded in 1998 "with support from the Clowes Fund, Inc."

the Clowes Fund was founded Dr. George Henry Alexander Clowes, who you might remember as the guy who founded the Eli Lilly corporation and privatized insulin

i'll skip to the end:

https://x.com/JimmyFalunGong/status/1768721373361279077?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

The Danish government wants to...expand conscription from 4 to 11 months and include women.

how well does that poll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

bras for 300 big-boobed babes

it's this