Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Takoha does something main characterish

Art nerds

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Turns out only people with art degrees can survive the ghost-murder house.

Edit: Takoha really is a good person, isn't he?

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Mar 15, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh poo poo, my parents had a lil framed picture of the ol' lady with the horse on her lap. that exact drawing! i always thought that was by Albert Engström or Eigil Petersen, nice!

e: I have some books by them, I should scan them. Also Fritz Jürgensen might be fun. Late 1800s comedy from bourgeoise Copenhagen

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Mar 15, 2024

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Emzedoh posted:

STEMlords stay losing

Yeah I appreciate Takoha for just being a genuine dude who loves art and wants to help out. He's not a particularly heroic figure or anything, and he's in way over his head, but he's still gonna do what he can

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Carthag Tuek posted:

Late 1800s comedy from bourgeoise Copenhagen

Well, that's why I keep coming back to these forums

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh poo poo, my parents had a lil framed picture of the ol' lady with the horse on her lap. that exact drawing! i always thought that was by Albert Engström or Eigil Petersen, nice!

e: I have some books by them, I should scan them. Also Fritz Jürgensen might be fun. Late 1800s comedy from bourgeoise Copenhagen

This quote encompasses everything I know about 1800s Denmark:

“I have just now come from a party where I was its life and soul; witticisms streamed from my lips, everyone laughed and admired me, but I went away — yes, the dash should be as long as the radius of the earth's orbit ——————————— and wanted to shoot myself.”

― Søren Kierkegaard

So yes, excited to learn more!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Emzedoh posted:

Kierkegaard

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Emzedoh posted:

Sometimes, the best self-preservation is having no self-preservation at all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Emzedoh posted:

This quote encompasses everything I know about 1800s Denmark:

“I have just now come from a party where I was its life and soul; witticisms streamed from my lips, everyone laughed and admired me, but I went away — yes, the dash should be as long as the radius of the earth's orbit ——————————— and wanted to shoot myself.”

― Søren Kierkegaard

So yes, excited to learn more!

look up the Kierkegaard caricatures that Meir Goldschmidt published in his satirical magazine Corsaren

they were catty as hell

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

Sometimes, the best self-preservation is having no self-preservation at all.

It's true.

I suspect this is an accurate depiction of what it is like to read Kierkegaard.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Mar 16, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Emzedoh posted:

It's true.

I suspect this is an accurate depiction of what it is like to read Kierkegaard.

he aint heavy, he's my philosopher

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I was expecting Tiger, Tiger to be one of those comics like Lavender Jack where race and sexual identity don't exist in any real way so it's nice to see part of it being about a guy who meets a big bearded gay dude who helps him navigate homosexuality in a time when the gay male identity is inaccessible to most of the population. I know it's a cliche to talk about Moby Dick just because it's a comic about boats and big sea monsters but it would have been the Great American Gay Novel if Melbourne had access to the gay male identity when he wrote it, the first thing that happens in it is two guys get married in a totally nonsexual way that just means they're best friends and soulmates who sleep in the same bed together sometimes.

also souboutei is still great lol, of course the goofy airhead manga artist accidentally makes friends with the haunted portait artist and unknowingly talks his way out of having his soul be eaten by demons

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Flournival Dixon posted:

the goofy airhead manga artist accidentally makes friends with the haunted portait artist and unknowingly talks his way out of having his soul be eaten by demons

I love the sentences this thread produces.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

look up the Kierkegaard caricatures that Meir Goldschmidt published in his satirical magazine Corsaren

they were catty as hell

I would very much like to see those!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lunar Maladies

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Emzedoh posted:

I would very much like to see those!

patience, patience...

Fritz Jürgensen, A Family Expecting the Omnibus

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"Perhaps one day, she will realize how I stood here, many a night, and took comfort in the thought of being her so near without her knowing it"

early incel

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

That's a yikes, yes.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 35: Beautiful Dream (Finale)

You know, that's a little interesting - how often in these kinds of stories does the person trapped in the time loop have something as dreadful as being trapped in an underground prison camp on the other end of the loop?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

KennyMan666 posted:

Secrets.

The reporter (interviewing the hundred-year-old on his birthday): Would you like to share some of the reasons you can assume have contributed to you having reached this respectable age?
The hundred-year-old: Right, well, I have never worked before breakfast.
The reporter: Well, that's interesting. I'll note that down.
The hundred-year-old: But there's also something else, that you should not forget.
The reporter: What's that?
The hundred-year-old: I have never worked after breakfast either.

Huh. Is the usage of 'Nej' as an interjection equivalent to 'Well' more an... Old thing in Swedish? I know when I was trying to translating the captions before reading your translation I was getting a bit confused, since I thought the interviewer was disagreeing with the old man.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kennel posted:

Tiger, Tiger

I love his freaking out over being attracted to a hunky jerk :3

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces

#468: Light Of Judgment - Stooged

#469: Light Of Judgment - Gesundheit?

#470: Light Of Judgment - Small Fry

MS Paint Masterpieces

#472: Light Of Judgment - In Your Face, God

#473: Value Of Life - Teleporting Needs Machines?

#474: Value Of Life - Details Shmetails

I like the bickering dynamic they have

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the holy poopacy posted:

All things considered, I suppose things could be worse. Just imagine if a stray dog had happened to be chasing Strig's cat when he got hit by the car...

lmao

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Samovar posted:

Huh. Is the usage of 'Nej' as an interjection equivalent to 'Well' more an... Old thing in Swedish? I know when I was trying to translating the captions before reading your translation I was getting a bit confused, since I thought the interviewer was disagreeing with the old man.

It's a pretty frequent occurrence today. Nä, nej, nähä are all used as "oh" or "wow" and such, in addition to no.

Also sometimes used basically as yes, answering for example "nej vad trevligt" (no how nice) when asked to go out for coffee just means yes. Tone is very important of course.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Samovar posted:

It's still a common phrasing in modern Scandinavian, as an indication of mild surprise or interest. Kinda like "you don't say," or maybe "no, really?" depending on intonation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
"Jo nä" as they might say here, which is "yes no".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah na seems to be universal

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

SimonChris posted:

The Vagabond of Limbo

hi god, can you please make my waifu real and in love with me

lmao

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Have some more dinosaurs!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tree Bucket posted:

this is amazing :allears:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Tree Bucket posted:

cant decide which i prefer, the chonkers or the aztec revival

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I quite like the Sponsorship Strut

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mx. posted:

cant decide which i prefer, the chonkers or the aztec revival

Aztec revivalism was a surprisingly fun style to draw in. I'll have to redraw a comic that way, if I can think of a good match for it.
11 year old me would have viewed Chonker Dinos as a betrayal of James Gurney's legacy or something

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket keeps on winning.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Kit Walker posted:

I don’t remember, but I think it sticks with largely two page spreads. The whole thing was a fan translation done by a few groups over time and I think the group that did the majority of it was this one. I can probably split the images up into two if it’s an issue

Hey, no worries! Like I said, not a huge issue!, so don't go making more work for yourself. I'm enjoying it a lot, thanks for sharing it! I think we can all agree that Souboutei needs destroying.

Tree Bucket posted:

Aztec revivalism was a surprisingly fun style to draw in. I'll have to redraw a comic that way, if I can think of a good match for it.

No idea if it would actually work but my mind went to those fun pages in Lavender Jack where different artists illustrated the various ideas people had about who LJ was.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Girl genius just acted like it was about to launch into another side story and I was about to lose my mind.

It was a fakeout. You win this time foglios, you weird pervs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fritz Jürgensen

— Let us hear what the Chancellor says
— Yes, Uncle, what do You think?
— Hmm, well, in this case lots can be said — both pro et contra

The young Miss Muggs has revealed musical genius by playing "The Brave Soldier" with one finger. Lest such skill not be uncultivated, she is daily by her mother and teacheress accompanied to the fortepiano to receive musical education