Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

It was a loud unpleasant slog that he did nothing to enhance. For the most part I tend not to like movies where someone makes bad decisions for 2 hours with a few exceptions. The introductory scene in the African mine kind of got my hopes up, but the rest of the movie just sucked.

I Love Hated it because while I thought it was an excellently filmed and acted movie, it reminded me a lot of addicts I’ve known in real life and I spent the movie feeling high anxiety.

Irl people like Sandler’s character are smart but still constantly make bad decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shageletic posted:

I only like media that has intelligent characters masterminding through problems, like YuGiyoh

Timothee Chalomet could probably actually pull off Yugi. The real trick is, who's Kaiba?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Christian Bale

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Timothee Chalomet could probably actually pull off Yugi. The real trick is, who's Kaiba?
Austin Butler

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Can confirm Love Lies Bleeding fucks.

Can also confirm it revs up something in people. A jet engine at takeoff that pulls moral geese in with its torque

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1768723843646919019

Propulsion 3.141592653589793238462643383279 5028841971693993751058209749445923078164 062862089986280348253421170679 gasoline fuel ethenol meth

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Read that story earlier, dude was hammered and jerked himself asleep in the big recliner seat.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Read that story earlier, dude was hammered and jerked himself asleep in the big recliner seat.

Whomst amon

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
glad you made bail OP

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

A24’s Ready Player two

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
He also had 2 bottles of Fireball, a vape, and a coke setup. Dude was gone.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Can also confirm it revs up something in people. A jet engine at takeoff that pulls moral geese in with its torque

Propulsion 3.141592653589793238462643383279 5028841971693993751058209749445923078164 062862089986280348253421170679 gasoline fuel ethenol meth

Can’t fault the commitment

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Truly an ally.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He also had 2 bottles of Fireball, a vape, and a coke setup. Dude was gone.

Boebert and her boyfriend went out to see a movie instead, eh?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/JamesHibberd/status/1768702192985247772

What a loving dunce

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That is indeed a galaxy-brained dipshit take, lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, one wants to tax rich people, and the other wants to legislate minorities out of existence, just different ways to run a state!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In awe of how imbecilic that is, probably the worst thing you can say about someone is that it would have been better had they not opened their mouths in the first place.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think Civil War will suck because the title is bad and annoys me. It’s about a civil war and it’s called Civil War, is that really the best they could come up with?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

that's a terrible take but the film is getting good reviews so I dunno, maybe he's so bad at politics he made the story interesting without them

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tars Tarkas posted:

that's a terrible take but the film is getting good reviews so I dunno, maybe he's so bad at politics he made the story interesting without them

I feel like this just has implications for what to expect from critics (nothing whatsoever).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I read a review of the movie and the two points I took away from it were that it's basically a movie about war journalists but in the US, and that they never really go into what caused this civil war much.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I read a review of the movie and the two points I took away from it were that it's basically a movie about war journalists but in the US, and that they never really go into what caused this civil war much.

I can’t help but look at this through the lense of the hundred plus journalists Israel has murdered over the past five months and it getting narry a peep from their American counterparts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s a Civil War where the premise begins with California and Texas allying and seceding, which… lmao

It sounds extremely “British man fundamentally misunderstands American politics”

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nucleic Acids posted:

I can’t help but look at this through the lense of the hundred plus journalists Israel has murdered over the past five months and it getting narry a peep from their American counterparts.

I know that people get annoyed at constantly referring to current events but yeah, this is egregious. The most journalists killed in a warzone since WW2 makes this kind of cultural product seem sanctimonious and aloof!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a Civil War where the premise begins with California and Texas allying and seceding, which… lmao

It sounds extremely “British man fundamentally misunderstands American politics”

It sounds less like seceding and more like rebelling. California and Texas teaming up does seem very "Gotta hear both sides" though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

California and Texas teaming up together really isn't that much of a stretch. Modern conservatism was birthed in Orange County, heart of the defense industry.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

California and Texas teaming up together really isn't that much of a stretch. Modern conservatism was birthed in Orange County, heart of the defense industry.

Orange County is not the entire state and government of California

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's not 1968 anymore, Orange votes Dem now.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lmao

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
To be fair, a huge amount of California is basically just Oklahoma 2.0.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’ve found Garland sus for a long while now, but he struck me more as a pretentious git than as a complete moron.

I have zero enthusiasm for the movie, but I’m willing to hope that he’s using the old American definition of “Right and Left” meaning, like, Red Team / Blue Team. That’s still stupid, but it’s a different, cynical kind of stupid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The most I’m hoping for is a new Jesse Plemons creep character. I’m fully expecting the rest of the movie to be a both-sides-are-equally-bad-actually shitshow now.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’ve found Garland sus for a long while now, but he struck me more as a pretentious git than as a complete moron.

I have zero enthusiasm for the movie, but I’m willing to hope that he’s using the old American definition of “Right and Left” meaning, like, Red Team / Blue Team. That’s still stupid, but it’s a different, cynical kind of stupid.

I was assuming "wildly misogynist faux-ally moron," basically a toughguy Joss Whedon.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Jesus, he’s plugging a movie why do you expect honesty? He can’t alienate anybody that might buy a ticket, no matter the content of the movie after said ticket is purchased.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I don't know what it is about this film, but I'm more excited for it than I've been for any other film this year.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Remulak posted:

Jesus, he’s plugging a movie why do you expect honesty? He can’t alienate anybody that might buy a ticket, no matter the content of the movie after said ticket is purchased.

But what he said is loving idiotic, regardless of anyone's specific political views."How to run a state" being a moral question is the entire foundation of political philosophy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m going to watch it on Netflix in 3 years

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

reminds me of that map of how Russia thinks the US would balkanise and it's just complete fantasy.

Garland has always struck me as a guy who believes his own hype and isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is. The movies he writes tend to be exactly as good as the director making them is. As he's been directing his own stuff, they seem more built around a big reveal or twist rather than a skilful execution of that twist or idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

reminds me of that map of how Russia thinks the US would balkanise and it's just complete fantasy.

lmao is that the Louisiana Purchase