Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tIDEHY21Bc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Something’s coming tomorrow…?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cryptic emoji hints there. Two of hearts and a sideways blue Diamond, maybe an ace of blue diamonds. Playing cards could mean Toymaker, deuces are wild, and Ace is also known as the blue diamond of aztlanta. This might be a new show premiere featuring Ace as her own Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Cryptic emoji hints there. Two of hearts and a sideways blue Diamond, maybe an ace of blue diamonds. Playing cards could mean Toymaker, deuces are wild, and Ace is also known as the blue diamond of aztlanta. This might be a new show premiere featuring Ace as her own Doctor.

I'm so glad that Martha is finally a Rutan again.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The_Doctor posted:

Something’s coming tomorrow…?

Probably a new full trailer or something like that, right?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
A teaser for a trailer, since that seems to be the way of things now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Probably the 16th Doctor announcement.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Khanstant posted:

Alright 3-2-1, settle down.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Announcement of Flux 2, the Fluxening.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is a fantastic trailer.

"You've both escaped from somewhere, haven't you?"
"Frequently! :haw:"

Leela: The Doctor always has a plan :colbert:
Doctor: RUN!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm eagerly awaiting Who to return in May, likely when I'm on vacation because why not?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

This is a fantastic trailer.

"You've both escaped from somewhere, haven't you?"
"Frequently! :haw:"

Leela: The Doctor always has a plan :colbert:
Doctor: RUN!

I like that season already, and that trailer makes me want to rewatch it all. Even Underworld, which is an accomplishment.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting Who to return in May, likely when I'm on vacation because why not?

I’m just wondering which bank holiday it’ll start on.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Start date: Sat, 11 May.

Release times:
- iPlayer and other streaming - Midnight (meaning Fri, 6 pm for me)
- BBC One broadcast - 7 pm Saturday

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Good for us in America, bad for UK viewers. Those TV ratings are probably going to plummet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait, am I misreading the time difference or does it go up on a streaming service BEFORE it airs on BBC One? That seems kinda... crazy? I must be misreading that, it'll air on BBC One first and then be available for streaming 4 hours later on iPlayer etc, right?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You'll be able to watch the television broadcast 19 hours after it's been available to stream, a real gift.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's... insane :psyduck:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm not a UK resident, but BBC One doesn't have commercials, right? So it shouldn't really matter what the broadcast viewing numbers are, just how many people are watching it in general. The fans watch it as soon as it's out online, the families turn it on after dinner on Saturday, it's all getting the brand out there.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
This sounds a lot like the broadcasting of Class (remember Class?)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Honestly given that with some stuff (e.g. Ghosts) the beeb is broadcasting the first episode and dropping the entire series on iPlayer the same day and time, this is SLIGHTLY better? It's a shame they're streaming it before broadcast because sitting down and watching a show when it airs creates asene of occasion and allows for stuff like twitter hashtags discussing it live.

I mean I guess twitter's a hellscape now but still, the reruns of old episodes of Top of the Pops on BBC4 still draw a crowd of people discussing it live.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

This sounds a lot like the broadcasting of Class (remember Class?)

I think more people have heard all the Big Finish audios and watched the Zygon softcore than have seen Class.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bicyclops posted:

I think more people have heard all the Big Finish audios and watched the Zygon softcore than have seen Class.

Class apparently had five seasons of Big Finish audios, which I can only assume means that Big Finish audios are really just a money-laundering operation.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Class apparently had five seasons of Big Finish audios, which I can only assume means that Big Finish audios are really just a money-laundering operation.

They're pretty good.

They're not actually five seasons though, just twelve stories and an additional single thing. There are maybe three duds, but overall they're quite strong. More character focused things that usually only feature one or two leads, in a similar vein to their Torchwood range except with more of a focus on urban fantasy elements instead of technoparanoia.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Genuinely love that this late in the forum's life, if you mention any particular, obscure Big Finish story, there's at least one person who's heard it and expresses themselves in a way that, even if you disagree, doesn't sound completely unhinged. I really would have thought that even in the Doctor Who thread, nobody would have heard all of the Class Big Finish stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

It's a shame they're streaming it before broadcast because sitting down and watching a show when it airs creates asene of occasion and allows for stuff like twitter hashtags discussing it live.

Yeah, maybe it sounds silly to some, but I really enjoyed liveposting an episode as it aired here with the other posters in this thread. It doesn't wreck the show or anything, that would be silly, but it feels wrong to have BBC be the last place to actually air THEIR show.

Just kind of baffled by the whole thing, to be honest.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
We MAY need to make changes regarding this thread's policy for untagged spoilers. And by may I mean will.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why streamers don't all have a live feed is beyond me. Netflix is only just now testing theirs with Jake Paul Vs. Mike Tyson of all loving things, but the social aspect of watching things at the same time as other people is a huge part of watching poo poo.

The WWE Network had one, and it was super awesome until we all realized they weren't going to put anything good on it.

I spent years wondering why I would always watch horrendously edited versions of certain movies with ads when they came on TV despite the fact that I had the DVD not two feet from said television, and eventually I realized it's because knowing other people were seeing it at the same time does something rad for the human brain.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Really bizarre choice to be sure. Like it's no skin off my nose because I get the episodes through streaming and usually have to catch them a couple of days after the air, but the livewatch experience does feel very Doctor Who.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

LividLiquid posted:

I spent years wondering why I would always watch horrendously edited versions of certain movies with ads when they came on TV despite the fact that I had the DVD not two feet from said television, and eventually I realized it's because knowing other people were seeing it at the same time does something rad for the human brain.

Haha I've started doing this with old adult swim blocks on YouTube from 2003 or whatever, cause I'm old and the nostalgia disease is creeping deep into my bones

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Why streamers don't all have a live feed is beyond me. Netflix is only just now testing theirs with Jake Paul Vs. Mike Tyson of all loving things, but the social aspect of watching things at the same time as other people is a huge part of watching poo poo.

My favourite time of watching TV in the Internet era was when Twitch was still Justin.tv. some nerds streamed videogames, but the real star were tons of streams of shows people loved. Star Trek and Stargate even had their own communities, in part because you had to stay connected to find out where the next stream was when last one got swatted down.

Go figure humans like doing human things virtually that humans like to do offline.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Like, is the Christmas Special this year gonna air on Christmas Day in Britain but also be available globally (including iPlayer) for streaming a day and a half earlier? :psyduck:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

It's going to be like decorations. The Who Christmas Special will stream in early October this year.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Praying the UK gets the Internet in time to watch the premiere

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Make sure the hamsters are fed then.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

The rest of the world getting Doctor Who ahead of them is yet another consequence of Brexit that no one believed at the time.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, maybe it sounds silly to some, but I really enjoyed liveposting an episode as it aired here with the other posters in this thread. It doesn't wreck the show or anything, that would be silly, but it feels wrong to have BBC be the last place to actually air THEIR show.
iPlayer is BBC though. And we can't be far off from the tipping point - if we've not already reached it - where more people watch BBC television output via iPlayer than through conventional broadcast.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It turns out we’re not getting AN episode of Doctor Who on 11 May. We’re getting SOME episodeS of Doctor Who. Two, to be precise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wow, first proper episode of Ncuti Gatwa's run AND the first proper television episode of The 8th Doctor Adventures too!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Jessica Hynes (Human Nature, The End Of Time, BF's Invaders From Mars) is a great actress, but she's loving awesome and completely unrecognisable in this week's Dick Turpin. Really fun seeing her turn up as a hammy sexy troll witch, with ridiculous make-up. Cunk's just turned up too.

It's a fun show, worth checking out if you're looking for something Who-y but in a more silly mode.