Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

More thoughts about Cultic now that I'm (almost done). I'm at what I believe to be the final level. I've been through the excavation area and past the huge wall of fire.

What's the deal with the slowdown? I don't always get it, even if I one-shot someone's head off. When I do get it, how is it supposed to help me? Or is it just a style thing?

Style thing. It's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Style thing. It's cool.

You can also toggle whether the music slows down or stays the same, or just turn the slowdown off altogether.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Convex posted:

You can also toggle whether the music slows down or stays the same

Ohhhhh my god, YES.

I don't mind the slowdown, but when I'm loving the music and then go to select a different weapon that wasn't my previous one, I don't like the music slowdown. I didn't notice that option. Thanks!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The slowdown can, if you're a loving pro, hello you line up more headshots. I am not a pro. I like it because it lets me know that TNT bundle I chucked over the wall blindly got a good crowd, especially when a stray eyeball flies up.

That t-shaped walkway over the lava is fun because you're tempted to kick a knight over the edge but they'll just hop right back up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wait if you kick them into the lava they jump out? What the gently caress.

I do always kick that one axe wielder into the lava wall. Every single time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I need to rebind my kick, because I rarely use it as it's a stick click and I prefer not to do that.

I'm using the Steam Deck exclusively, so I'm well aware of the back buttons, but I already have those used. My R4 is always jump in literally any game, so it's automatic for me. L4 is crouch when it's available.

The bottom buttons I also don't like using that much, just the way my fingers tend to hold the Switch, but I'll have to use one of them for kick.

Actually, I kicked a door open last night because I had kited some cultists towards the door, closed it, but they weren't opening it at all. So, I kick it, thinking "does this push them back? Does it do anything?"

I'm immediately nose-to-nose with like 3 grey hooded cultists which I truly didn't expect, and if it had been a longer moment, it would've been like Butch and Vincent facing off in Butch's kitchen in Pulp Fiction, but it ended up more like George Clooney (me) vs Brad Pitt (all of them) in the closet from Burn After Reading. Spoilered in case you haven't seen it, it's great. It actually happens shockingly early in the film considering the star power.

Anyway, none of this is a complaint, just part of my Cultic story. :clint:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LluoLlCSkCo

After the demo, my hopes aren't high for this game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Why must Shelly be cursed.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've been using 'Q' for 'Quick' kicking since Duke3D days (QWERTY layout) on all games. On Cultic it made so easy to kick boost and move around since I can keep pushing forward (W) and jumping with space.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah q works great for movement. I'll still flub it sometimes but less often than you'd think. It feels about the same cadence as slide jumping in ultrakill, but in reverse

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

HolyKrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LluoLlCSkCo

After the demo, my hopes aren't high for this game

yeah i'm definitely gonna wait for someone else to play it and tell us how much it sucks first

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yikes, a release date after pretty much being radio silent since the awful demo... I dunno bout that one folks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Jesus, if I was in a position to make decisions, I would definitely be accompanying that release date trailer with a "here's what we've unfucked since the demo" video.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've said it before, but all the good/promising games with Slipgate's names on them (WRATH, Tempest Rising, Core Decay) are all mostly developed by third-parties. I don't know that Slipgate itself has ever made a good game.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Still looks just as bad and weightless as the demo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The graphics look better anyway

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Deakul posted:

Yikes, a release date after pretty much being radio silent since the awful demo... I dunno bout that one folks.

To be fair, the demo response is one of the reasons they delayed it in the first place.

But yeah the trailer didn't really show if anything's changed substantially. There's so many cuts, you don't get to see how the gunplay flows

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait if you kick them into the lava they jump out? What the gently caress.

I do always kick that one axe wielder into the lava wall. Every single time.

The knights are I think immune to lava damage and also can jump a very silly height to get back up. I'm not going to Elon's chud site to dig through their horrible UI but I think a little before part 1 dropped the developer posted a video of doing that in exactly the same spot with the knight jumping back up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah I was more talking about the jump than the fire. I figured it'd automatically kill them anyway

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Mouse button 5 for quick kick / melee attacks obv

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Demo was complete and utter rear end but I am also a story driven linear FPS pilled moron so I volunteer to be the first to buy and try and I'll write up a report here. Who knows, maybe they ironed out the kinks??? :negative:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thank you for your sacrifice

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Kick is a borderline essential button in cultic, both for movement, combat, and just trying to throw things further/harder.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
So I got to try out Condemned 2 with Xenia. I've been waiting over a decade to see it emulated well or at least come to PC and it finally seems like it's possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVWkrMNy_Yc

Xenia with RTX HDR, vsync off, it actually seems to run fine at 120 fps, way past what it ran at on console which was around 30 iirc. Crazy how far 7th gen console emulation has come.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Obviously this means we are all one step closer to being able to play smash-hit FPS "Haze" on PC whenever we please

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Obviously this means we are all one step closer to being able to play smash-hit FPS "Haze" on PC whenever we please
I have bad news for you: Haze runs pretty decently in RPCS3.

https://twitter.com/kinsie/status/1300053133511458816

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Catching up on discussion, but a couple interesting things that came up...

I find the comparison of HROT to Prodeus fascinating, as I feel it's a bit of a case of congruence.

Prodeus feels like taking the sort of intricate map design from Dark Forces, giving it a more basic doom-like bestiary and weapon set, and applying a tonne of modern-inspired polish. It works, but the core loop gets a bit bland, but still bolstered by the map design. Relatively "soulless" but with some legs.

HROT is more like a build engine style game, but steeped in cultural influence from Czechoslovakia. The weapons and bestiary aren't all that inspired, but it more than makes up for it with the charm you find in every level. Relatively chock full of "soul" but hampered by its simplistic presentation.

And then the comparison between Turbo Overkill and Sprawl briefly came up. I only ever played demos of these games at the same PAX event, so that colours my perspective.

Turbo Overkill had a very bare bones approach to its aesthetics, but the actual gameplay and feel of it was sublime. The demo they had set up at the show was a staged horde mode where you would get a prize if you could complete it. I found myself coming back to that demo begging to replay it as I was getting more familiar with the movement and how to manage the hordes, with a mix of chainsaw leg dashing and the traditional kiting, very addictive.

Sprawl on the other hand oozed with the exact sort of aesthetics that is entirely my jam. I was pretty hyped about the initial presentation, and was wooed by the approach of the main designer of the game. But when I got my hands on the demo, I was severely disappointed with how it played. Mostly because it was riddled with scripting bugs at the time, but it also seemed to lend itself more to the sort of linear corridor shooter that I'm never all that jazzed about. I trust the bugs have been ironed out since release, but that bad first impression means I have yet to jump into the final product.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 16, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's funny because to me watching pagb's run sprawl looks bland as gently caress, and turbo overkill you may not vibe with the cyberpunk/synthwave aesthetic but it definitely has a style to it

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The Kins posted:

BOOOSH!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Kins posted:

The amount of hype this piece of poo poo got before release was unbelievable. I remember it being on the cover of Edge magazine, interviews and puff pieces all over the place about how you'd start on the bad guy side and work our they were bad and switch to the good guy side... and then it comes out and all your squad mates at the start might as well have Snidely Whiplash mustaches and big badges saying "WE ARE THE BAD GUYS" in case the player didn't quite understand why they were going to switch sides, and the gunplay is bad and the whole thing just goes in the big pile of "Failed Halo Killers"

Edit: Apparently I dreamed the Edge cover, they must have just had a massive feature on it.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 16, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

its true crime was basically killing timesplitters forever

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turns out that the real Halo killer were just Halo games made by 343

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

its true crime was basically killing timesplitters forever

:agreed:

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I grabbed Cultic based on the recommendations here and it seems very good so far but I'm having weird performance issues on the Deck. It will drop from 60 to 40fps seemingly at random for about 30 seconds at a time and it's really distracting. Doesn't seem to line up with having a lot of things on screen or any kind of back-end loading or anything that I can tell, it just kinda... starts chugging for a bit and then goes back to normal. Anyone else have that?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cultic's 90 FOV gave me horrible sensory sickness and I had to lower it to 70, weird as hell.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I grabbed Cultic based on the recommendations here and it seems very good so far but I'm having weird performance issues on the Deck. It will drop from 60 to 40fps seemingly at random for about 30 seconds at a time and it's really distracting. Doesn't seem to line up with having a lot of things on screen or any kind of back-end loading or anything that I can tell, it just kinda... starts chugging for a bit and then goes back to normal. Anyone else have that?

Yep it ran really badly for me.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Speaking of performance, did that Switch patch for Dark Forces ever get released?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Thankful to Haze for providing us with this classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHjvUjlF1kE

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2398450/Classic_Marathon/

Er, Marathon coming to Steam I guess??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I use the Steam deck exclusively and Cultic ran like a dream, outside of it taking a weirdly long time for the title screen to appear at first. Like when I loaded the game for the first time, I almost force-quit because I thought it was stuck, but it came up.

I'm also running Cryoutilities on my deck, so maybe that's making it play better? I mean, I've been downloading the shaders for it, so it actually will run better and better as time goes on, barring some update that makes it less optimized.

SPEAKING OF CULTIC... I beat it. Died twice to the thing, but eventually killed the thing.

How come no one told me Interlude was actually scarier?! The parking garage.... :gonk: