Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Come now, you know tesla would have done much better that the government's paltry 8 chargers. Musk has shown he is happy to violate planning regulations. There would be 80, they would look stupid, and they would break down easily. But then the last is probably true of the government ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

love this guy, dry ramen ftw

"Artificial Spicy Chicken Flavor"

At least they're honest

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

PhilippAchtel posted:

"Artificial Spicy Chicken Flavor"

At least they're honest

better than genetically modifying the chicken to be spicy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

love this guy, dry ramen ftw

the 2x version of this are pretty spicy. i've not tried the 3x

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does anybody know how to get a copy of these. I never got around to reading any of the Governance series but an edited Selected Works approach for Xi seems a lot less intimating. Very interested in snagging a copy somehow

https://flp.com.cn/en/xi-jin-ping-zhu-zuo-xuan-du-di-yi-juan-di-er-juan-ying-wen/

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
China Nobel prize winner tarred as one of ‘three new evils’ amid rise in nationalist fervour
Mo Yan is widely celebrated in China but now faces a lawsuit accusing him of smearing the Communist party amid an increasingly febrile atmosphere online

quote:

At first glance, a Nobel prize winning author, a bottle of green tea and Beijing’s Tsinghua University have little in common. But in recent weeks they have been dubbed by China’s nationalist netizens as the “three new evils” in the fight to defend the country’s valour in cyberspace.

Last month a patriotic blogger called Wu Wanzheng filed a lawsuit against China’s only Nobel prize-winning author, Mo Yan, accusing him of smearing the Communist army and glorifying Japanese soldiers in his fictional works set during the Japanese invasion of China.

Wu, who posts online under the pseudonym “Truth-Telling Mao Xinghuo”, is seeking 1.5bn yuan ($208m/£164m) in damages from Mo – one yuan per Chinese citizen – as well as an apology from Mo and the removal of the offending books from circulation. His lawsuit has not yet been accepted by any court.

quote:

In attacking such a venerated figure, Wu “wants to sound more Catholic than the pope”, says Dali Yang, a professor of political science at the University of Chicago. And while some people have accused Wu of trying to boost his own social media clout, the fact that such a campaign is tolerated by China’s censors reflects the rising levels of online nationalism, which in recent years have reached dizzying heights of fervour.

Elsewhere on Weibo, netizens have been posting videos of themselves pouring away water from bottles of Nongfu Spring, China’s biggest bottled water company. The company’s crime? Using a design on its green tea drink that allegedly looks like a Japanese wooden pagoda. Another offending beverage, a brown rice tea, features on its packaging fish that allegedly look like Japanese koinobori, flags in the shape of carps.

The furore over Nongfu – whose founder, Zhong Shanshan, is China’s richest man – was sparked by the death last month of one of Zhong’s business rivals, Zong Qinghou, who was revered by nationalists. It soon spiralled into an all-out attack on Nongfu, with netizens criticising the drinks’ packaging as well as the fact that the company has US investors and that Zhong’s son is a US citizen.

“I’m patriotic, but you sell this Japanese stuff, I despise you,” said one Nongfu-hater outside a convenience store, in a video posted on Weibo. Some shops have reportedly stopped stocking Nongfu products and the company’s share price dropped by nearly 6% in the first week of March, although it has recovered slightly since.

“Traffickers in online nationalism have a vast audience from people who are pretty frustrated in terms of jobs, living standards and so on,” Yang notes. Analysts say online vitriol has been particularly intense since China’s zero-Covid regime kept tens of millions of people cooped up at home for the better part of three years, only to emerge into an economy battered by poor job prospects and weak demand.

Average hiring salaries in Chinese cities fell for three straight quarters in 2023. That has sparked resentment of the elites in some quarters, with a recent target being Tsinghua, China’s top university. Although it is generally regarded with admiration, recently some online have questioned why, unlike some 600 other Chinese institutions, it hasn’t been subject to sanctions by the US.

“You take so much money from the state, but you can’t even get on the sanction list of the ugly country, shouldn’t the people scold you?” wrote one Weibo user.

According to one outspoken Tsinghua law professor, Lao Dongyan, the online environment amounts to an “anti-intellectual culture” – unlike comments from many of the self-styled patriots, however, hers has since been deleted.

Eric Liu, a former content moderator for Weibo, says that while online witch-hunts are nothing new, “recently it has reached a level that surprised people”.

But it “hasn’t met any kind of obstacle of challenge” from the authorities, says Liu, who is now an editor for China Digital Times. And there is “no sign that it’s going to stop anytime soon”.

The evil CCP is refusing to censor the internet enough.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
has the word netizen ever been used to describe anything other than Chinese internet posters

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

slave to my cravings posted:

has the word netizen ever been used to describe anything other than Chinese internet posters

Yep
Savvy and woke: Gender, digital profile, social media competence, and political participation in gender issues among young Filipino netizens

How Turkish netizens can access the internet without censorship

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

south korean media also refers to posters as netizens when describing things that happen on the internet i have no idea why

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

It's an attempt to translate the very commonly used Chinese noun 网友(net friend) into English.

"Poster" is the correct translation, but old media doesn't respect the art form of posting

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the hello street cats-street feeder is empty. the prc has fallen

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"netizen" is also commonly used in Philippine news media, as in "many netizens are saying..."

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

"netizen" is also commonly used in Philippine news media, as in "many netizens are saying..."

yeah I think i remembered this from one or more articles you linked , which is why it was the first country to come to mind :)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Stairmaster posted:

the hello street cats-street feeder is empty. the prc has fallen

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ukrainianization continues

https://twitter.com/johngreen/status/1768387869775675655?t=1QStATOyzov8TYy0lvBErw&s=19

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Jose posted:

the 2x version of this are pretty spicy. i've not tried the 3x

the 2x is too much for me and i usually like hot stuff

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

China Nobel prize winner tarred as one of ‘three new evils’ amid rise in nationalist fervour
Mo Yan is widely celebrated in China but now faces a lawsuit accusing him of smearing the Communist party amid an increasingly febrile atmosphere online

The evil CCP is refusing to censor the internet enough.

drat, frivolous lawsuits and getting mad at foreign goods? good thing something like that could never happen in freedomland

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It's also used to describe Japanese or Korean internet posters. Some weird racial coding going on there.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So "netizen" only for Asians? Netizen wave tactic?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

netizen was in general use in the early internet era at least.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Netizens live under the information superhighway overpass.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the whole "netizen" thing was started, I thought, when AOL made Usenet available to their entire user base and idiots started posting everywhere. people tried to convince them to be "good netizens" but we all see how that turned out

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Suddenly thinking about that effect where you think of certain words, and your mind seeks them out.

https://twitter.com/sammythemc/status/1768736359638814729

Sassbot Alpha
Sep 2, 2011
Fallen Rib
Yeah it's been used consistently for as long as I can remember in UK media to describe people on the internet. Think it got less frequent with social media since they started referring to the specific website.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Netizens live under the information superhighway overpass.

thats where the trolls live

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1768618485226033511

Another banger

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Chenn'sright

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

No, only americans or their european vassals are allowed to own this kind of stuff because they are democratic and free and lawful good, so we know that when NSA is reading all our data this is for the good of the world, for our own good

Unlike China, a dangerous authoritarian state. They can’t be allowed to own stuff like that or they might do what the USA does literally all the time, but with evil intentions

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China should make Microsoft spinoff the operation system and let Chinese company own the Chinese Windows 11. Every country should have sovereign ownership to the OS they use.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
cpc just used a linux

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah why make Microsoft do anything when you can have Huawei and some other Chinese companies do it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Chinese Windows 11

Otherwise known as Windows XI

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

why would you risk infecting the people's republic with the anglo rot?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Huh, one of the more active western DPRK friendship activists, NatalieRevolts, seems to be in trouble. Probably a bit of a derail, but she seems OK and it's a shame to see her being targeted.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Wow, hosed up that they barred her from banking.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Idgi. What does this have to do with Ukraine?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Votskomit posted:

Idgi. What does this have to do with Ukraine?

The US is trying to turn the Philippines into the next battleground of the New Cold War, after Ukraine and Taiwan, is what I meant

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
As long as they don't give free naval ship to Philippines (and Taiwan), you don't have to worry about Ukrainization just yet. (It's interesting we lose the word "Finlandization" but gain a word "Ukrainization".)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The massive USAID investments is stage one, part of the development of a group of comprador liberals ideologically aligned with the American state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://x.com/nypost/status/1768999089843126411?s=46&t=mzWS2vgSInnU9jlt8C3n_Q