Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
9 episodes later, I can name 3 characters and have a made up name for 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Buck, Bucky, Rosenthal, Crosby, spy chick, wrench bro…

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget hook boy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Was James Murray's character randomly vanishing after episode six historically accurate or just some sort of actor availability thing?

I reckon there was a draft of this season where this guy was more prominent and actually got something to do.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Okay, 4 dudes and They Cloned Harry Lennix!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Buck, Bucky, Rosenthal, Crosby, spy chick, wrench bro…

egg face, baby face, shot down blonde guy who left baby face, tuskegee 1 (loves america), tuskegee 2 (loves drawing), tuskegee 3 (bad neck), london ineedamanski

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I honestly kept forgetting which one between the rear end in a top hat with main character syndrome and Val Kilmer from Top Secret was Buck or Bucky, so I just settled on calling them the Bucks.

Rosie was the best character on the show, and I think he only showed up for the first time in episode... 4?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

I reckon there was a draft of this season where this guy was more prominent and actually got something to do.

Wasn't wrench guy Raff Law, as in Jude Law's son? I'm glad he wasn't more prominent.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I suspect they totally rewrote episodes 6-8 at some point during development hell, when they had executives or new writers saying “We should show the POW camp, work a romance in somewhere,” etc.

And perhaps the original plan for episodes 6-8 had a bunch of the stuff we’re talking about, that we would have liked to have seen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrMojok posted:

I suspect they totally rewrote episodes 6-8 at some point during development hell, when they had executives or new writers saying “We should show the POW camp, work a romance in somewhere,” etc.

And perhaps the original plan for episodes 6-8 had a bunch of the stuff we’re talking about, that we would have liked to have seen.

Eight was almost definitely rewritten, given the episode's director has a writing credit on it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This is cool. This company is building replica p-51s at a fraction of the cost of what a real one will run you.

https://bydanjohnson.com/your-own-p-51-only-modern-remarkable-sw-51-moves-into-production/

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Sorry if I a 12 year old bayonets my friend I’m going full Anakin and gonna murder some younglings. gently caress those kids.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Sorry if I a 12 year old bayonets my friend I’m going full Anakin and gonna murder some younglings. gently caress those kids.

Plus they were nazis, so gently caress'em. I love that scene illustrates facists perfectly, they will be haughty and cruel if they think they're in control, but the second they aren't they're the biggest babies ever.

Also Barry's death was perfectly illustrating why you don't put yourself in danger to help someone in a hopeless situation, juxtaposed with the scene with babyface, it says "instead of one dead guy, you now have two".

I think the show would of benefited from just being guys on the base/bomber mission stuff, adding the Tuskegee airmen early, and having the two plots meet up with the POW storyline. None of the other stuff was necessary. I actually enjoyed the POW stuff, I've read a few things about POW camps but not seen stuff about it, and most of that stuff is just SCHNELL SCHENLL! *points with rifle, kicks prisoner* style stuff.

The one nazi going "Seig Heil! For Blood and Soil! Ya!" to all the extremely morose volksstrum guys going off to die fighting the soviets, and the other guy going "yea, we're hosed, we literally have old men and boys left", so for once the Brits were right! Just none of the other times they said "oh yes Jerry is done for, Holland is defended by Old Men and Boys armed with ww1 surplus with 3 rounds each, Market Garden will be super easy".

That was a big plus of the episode, gently caress ton of Nazi's got killed on screen.

Oh yea, curious about the Germans in Holland, they were completely cut off, so would they of even been able to shoot at the air drops if they wanted to?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 16, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Germans in Holland were cut off following Market Garden and had to get cleared out of the Scheldt near Antwerp before the 1st Canadian Army swept up north into the Netherlands. Likely wouldn't have had much to shoot with while facing a full army group and hostile locals.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just rewatched Currahee from Band of Brothers and seriously, even one episode of training in Masters of the Air would have made a huge difference. In Curahee you get to know characters, personalities, histories etc all with the ever looming first mission hanging over everybody's heads and getting closer and closer, as opposed to Masters of the Air showing Buck and Bucky drinking and dancing before Miles Teller Buck goes to Iceland and acts like a huge rear end in a top hat all while Val Kilmer Buck spends the episode looking like he (justifiably) hates his "best friend".

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Jerusalem posted:

Just rewatched Currahee from Band of Brothers and seriously, even one episode of training in Masters of the Air would have made a huge difference. In Curahee you get to know characters, personalities, histories etc all with the ever looming first mission hanging over everybody's heads and getting closer and closer, as opposed to Masters of the Air showing Buck and Bucky drinking and dancing before Miles Teller Buck goes to Iceland and acts like a huge rear end in a top hat all while Val Kilmer Buck spends the episode looking like he (justifiably) hates his "best friend".

Yes but imagine you are a reasonably big cog making a TV show with big visuals yadda yadda and that is the best you can do before*.

*Still not as good for this third show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Those Germans probably realized that sending up flak might get a bunch of Mustangs buzzing around them looking for something to do at the end of the war.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished watching it. Anyone else feel like these last two episodes were taken over by someone else who decided to throw as much "mandatory World War 2 film iconography" into the proceedings as possible? We've got a detour into the Holocaust for five minutes, soldiers quoting Nietzsche at each other, a mega patriotic camp uprising with a man openly weeping holding onto an American Flag, Black soldiers discussing the ideals of America when faced with racist Germans, etc. It became extremely "America wins the War".

This week certainly wasn't as bad as last week which felt like the nadir of the show, but I dunno, it is just as disjointed as the rest of it all. I'd like to see a version that doesn't include Crosby's stilted narration or the overbearing soundtrack.

I feel like this show's destiny is to exist primarily in clip form on youtube channels like Johnny's War Stories. In bite sized chunks the show can be good and even excellent, but I really can't see myself coming back to watch full episodes.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 16, 2024

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

This is cool. This company is building replica p-51s at a fraction of the cost of what a real one will run you.

https://bydanjohnson.com/your-own-p-51-only-modern-remarkable-sw-51-moves-into-production/

The Mustang design is pretty popular in scaled down kit/sport plane form, I think there's like seven or eight different manufacturers in various scales/engines/retractable or nonretractable landing gear.

The same for the P-38 would be dope as hell but I think then you gotta get rated for two engines.

Phy fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 16, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Arc Hammer posted:

Finished watching it. Anyone else feel like these last two episodes were taken over by someone else who decided to throw as much "mandatory World War 2 film iconography" into the proceedings as possible? We've got a detour into the Holocaust for five minutes, soldiers quoting Nietzsche at each other, a mega patriotic camp uprising with a man openly weeping holding onto an American Flag, Black soldiers discussing the ideals of America when faced with racist Germans, etc. It became extremely "America wins the War".

This week certainly wasn't as bad as last week which felt like the nadir of the show, but I dunno, it is just as disjointed as the rest of it all. I'd like to see a version that doesn't include Crosby's stilted narration or the overbearing soundtrack.

I feel like this show's destiny is to exist primarily in clip form on youtube channels like Johnny's War Stories. In bite sized chunks the show can be good and even excellent, but I really can't see myself coming back to watch full episodes.

Yeah, i turned the last episode off when Rosie was extrapolated to seeing the Holocaust. Honestly, the whole show is poo poo. All of the genuine acting happens in the first three episodes, the story is convoluted bullshit, the effects are lazy, and the attention to detail only exists to not show something. I could've watched Memphis Belle 4 times instead of this show and been better for it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It felt like they were going to have some kind of beef between the Tuskegee airmen and the French African troops, with the way they look at each other.

Was the old guy Rosie talked to Jewish? It sounded like his family was killed during the Holocaust of Bullets.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, this last episode is over the top even for this series in terms of "America number 1." Like, Rosie lands in no man's land instead of behind Russian lines just so we can the red army just shooting surrendering and running germans. And of course the pilots aren't freed, they liberate themselves.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Crosby killed Lincoln? What an rear end in a top hat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, ideally the show should've started with their last training sortie before making the Atlantic crossing, with no showing of the "pit stop" in Greenland.

"Well, fellas...we're as ready as we're gonna get" juxtaposed with "Bucky" getting in those two sorties and seeing what it's like.

This show managed to be both abbreviated and superfluous all at the wrong times.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holy poo poo it would have been so cool to have Buck and his crew doing a training mission and then smash cut to Bucky doing his first bombing run.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Linked earlier in the thread the 100th had a wild time in training with one exercise had them take off in Kansas and the whole group ended up scattered all over the western united states, except one plane that ended up in eastern Tenessee. Which coincedently was where the navigators wife lived.

Give us stuff like that in the training episode

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Okay, that had some real loving problems. I'll call out one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

The food relief drops in Holland. I have no problem with those being included. I have a huge loving problem with an exposition scene set on the airbase that those missions with the food relief missions visible from where they're loving standing. If they need food right over there, just don't take it off the loving truck. Drive it over!

Rosie's milk run was set up with all the classic tells of a last-minute tragedy. They even had some rando show up for his very first ever ride in an airplane. Some rear end in a top hat thinks he's super clever for "subverting" that trope. gently caress him. Putting the one person from the ground crew that had lines on that flight would have meant something and tied some things together. So many wasted chances for good storytelling.

Captain Westgate spinoff when?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Okay, that had some real loving problems. I'll call out one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

The food relief drops in Holland. I have no problem with those being included. I have a huge loving problem with an exposition scene set on the airbase that those missions with the food relief missions visible from where they're loving standing. If they need food right over there, just don't take it off the loving truck. Drive it over!

Rosie's milk run was set up with all the classic tells of a last-minute tragedy. They even had some rando show up for his very first ever ride in an airplane. Some rear end in a top hat thinks he's super clever for "subverting" that trope. gently caress him. Putting the one person from the ground crew that had lines on that flight would have meant something and tied some things together. So many wasted chances for good storytelling.

Those were practice drops

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

mllaneza posted:

lmao you thought those were supposed to be the real drops taking place 100 yards behind them and not practice drops?! I will never get over how bad some goons are at watching TV.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

twistedmentat posted:

It felt like they were going to have some kind of beef between the Tuskegee airmen and the French African troops, with the way they look at each other.

Was the old guy Rosie talked to Jewish? It sounded like his family was killed during the Holocaust of Bullets.

The old guy says he's gonna travel to Palestine, so yeah, Jewish.

Major Major Major
Apr 23, 2014
I didn’t hate this show, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit up until episode 7 or so I if I remember correctly.

My biggest issue was the dialogue. In BoB I always felt like I was just observing a conversation from that time period that made sense, moved the plot/characterizations forward but wasn’t too cinematic. In this show every conversation almost they have is super dramatic and doesn’t feel real to life at all.

I have very little faith that the events and conversations that occurred in this series were authentic to real life whereas BoB I have never had that doubt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMlemhFqowU

Always loved this scene where Frank gives O'Keefe poo poo. It gets the point across how tired and worn out Easy veterans are without needing to wax poetic about the way war changes a man and "the things I've seen" speeches. It's just a normally friendly guy like Perconte losing his temper on a poor young kid who doesn't know any better.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

D-Pad posted:

lmao you thought those were supposed to be the real drops taking place 100 yards behind them and not practice drops?! I will never get over how bad some goons are at watching TV.

Then they missed a golden opportunity to use the word "practicing". I'm watching this thing, not writing it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Then they missed a golden opportunity to use the word "practicing". I'm watching this thing, not writing it.

Ever hear of the concept of show not tell in story telling?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speaking of not being good at watching things, I have to admit I wasn't sure, but the guy they take on that final run WAS the young mechanic who headed up the ground crew, I thought? When he said he came over by boat in 44 and had never flown in a plane and Crosby is mouth agape over it, I thought it was because this is the guy who was fixing up their planes (extremely well!) and he couldn't quite believe it?

Did I mix him up with somebody else?

Flikken posted:

Linked earlier in the thread the 100th had a wild time in training with one exercise had them take off in Kansas and the whole group ended up scattered all over the western united states, except one plane that ended up in eastern Tenessee. Which coincedently was where the navigators wife lived.

Oh my God, that would have been a fantastic inclusion.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 16, 2024

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

i got confused about him because he disappeared for several episodes and in that last episode they called him ken and kenny and not the thing he's been called the whole show, lemmon.

mllaneza posted:

buddy they're in the uk. holland and the uk are not that close. that was also the one person from the ground crew with lines too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Day of Days in BoB still a loving incredible watch, and the one-off characters who appear in it like "Cowboy" Hall ("From Texas?" "No, Manhattan") actually feel like real people. Also I don't have the best eye for this stuff but I thought the visual effects of the planes flying through the flak and the paratroopers making their jumps through all that hell stands out particularly strongly even today. I had also forgotten just how quickly Speirs is established as a very effective killer with zero fear or seemingly moral compunctions and how his direct approach is contrasted so effectively against Winters' more strategic and careful (even if quickly improvised) planning.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 28, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ahh don't make me watch BoB again for what must be literally the 40something time. Yes! Cowboy, fricking acted by Andrew Scott!! "Scott has described the working atmosphere on Band of Brothers as "awful"."😔

Batcat
May 2, 2009

Flikken posted:

Not a chance, this show was only ever interested in making Americans misty-eyed and reaffirming their exceptionalism. The most we got was one aircraft crashing in training because of a "stall" but they couldn't even show that honestly, it goes down with an engine ablaze.

I actually thought this episode started out ok, the bomber going down was done pretty well, all the stuff with the forced march was fine and then we got to Rosie's contrived stroll through the atrocity exhibition and that was the final nail for me. Egan hoisting up Old Glory (with the help of a black man, obviously) to thousands of cheering allied prisoners and that last 20 minutes of back-slapping over a job well done just pissed me off. The story of the 8th Air Force is of tens of thousands of unbelievably brave men being sent to their deaths through a combination of incompetence, pig-headedness and aircraft that were incapable of carrying out the job they were tasked with, all to achieve (for the most part) very little. I'd agree with it being better watching Memphis Belle instead of this, you'll learn about as much and at least you'll get to see some real B-17s.

I mean, this is a show featuring the Tuskegee airmen and the only person who even mentions the treatment they got from their own side is a Nazi who has it immediately thrown back in his face. By a Tuskegee airman. Just gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

buddy they're in the uk. holland and the uk are not that close. that was also the one person from the ground crew with lines too.

Much like Top Gun: Maverick, with Hondo being the only enlisted representation for the entire Navy.

Maybe in Top Gun 3 they'll have *two* non-Nobles who'll actually have a moment where they're not talking about officers and their derring-do! :allears: