Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i dont think im capable of making a character for whom the proposal of a mayonnaise-based diet doesnt immediately result in an initiative roll for pvp combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
To protect your valuable mayonnaise?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just make sure to get the new revamped version if you can, which removes some of the worst bits of the original - the GRT stereotypes for the Vistani & Ezmerelda's 'shameful secret' being her prosthetic leg. Although it still leaves in the main issue of Strahd's backstory being that he's an incel and isn't that tragic and romantic.

I don't think Strahd is supposed to be seen as tragic and romantic.

Tracy Hickman makes it pretty clear in the Foreword of the Adventure.

CoS Foreword posted:

Byron — like the fictional vampires that he inspired, from Polidori’s Lord Ruthven down through the penultimate work of Bram Stoker — was a decadent predator, an abuser hidden behind a romantic veil. He was a comely and alluring monster — but a monster nevertheless. The romantic vampire of the earliest years of the genre was not just a spouse abuser but a spouse killer, the archetype of abuse in the worst kind of destructive codependency.

For Laura and me, those were the elements that truly defined Strahd von Zarovich — a selfish beast forever lurking behind a mask of tragic romance, the illusion of redemption that was ever only camouflage for his prey.

-
But the vampire genre has taken a turn from its roots in recent years. The vampire we so often see today exemplifies the polar opposite of the original archetype: the lie that it’s okay to enter into a romance with an abusive monster because if you love it enough, it will change.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Outrail posted:

To protect your valuable mayonnaise?

being offered a mayo-only diet by a party member is in the same league as being offered a written contract for my soul by asmodeus or a verbal contract for anything by an unseelie

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I take: One soul
You get: All of the Mayonnaise

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Make it an aoli and I’m in!

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

scary ghost dog posted:

being offered a mayo-only diet by a party member is in the same league as being offered a written contract for my soul by asmodeus or a verbal contract for anything by an unseelie

1. Eat mayo,
2. ???,
3. gain eldritch power.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pseudosavior posted:

1. Eat mayo,
2. ???,
3. gain eldritch power.

1. agree to mayo diet
2. add “was able to be convinced to eat only mayo” to the flaws section of my character sheet
3. realize the damage thats been done to my PC and engage in a battle to the death with whoever offered the mayo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
There is an anguished scream as the buffet table collapses under your rogues weight, spilling three days of prep work. The Souscheforer's aura darkens as he summons forth three mayonnaise elementals from the Culinary Plane of Fridge.

Roll for initiative.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 14, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Outrail posted:

There is an anguished scream as the buffet table collapses under your rogues weight, spilling three days of prep work. The Souscheforer's aura darkens as he summons forth three mayonnaise elementals from the Culinary Plane of Fridge.

Roll for initiative.

i choose to fail the saving throw against being frightened and i cunning action disengage, spend all of my movement to break line of sight and use the hide action

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Where do you hide? There is a walk in freezer, a pantry and an industrial washing machine.

*You accidentally glance at the DM screen, and see the monster manual opened to something beginning with "Mi..."*

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Outrail posted:

Where do you hide? There is a walk in freezer, a pantry and an industrial washing machine.

*You accidentally glance at the DM screen, and see the monster manual opened to something beginning with "Mi..."*

i set the industrial washing machine to maximum and climb in

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"you can't eat this mayonnaise! it is for the Duke."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Upsetting your friend's character who took the chef feat by putting mayo on everything.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Empty Sandwich posted:

"you can't eat this mayonnaise! it is for the Duke."

If the Duke doesn't want anyone touching his mayo he shouldn't be selling it in stores or sponsoring a college bowl game where the announcer dip various items in the Duke's mayo and the winning coach gets a vat of the Duke's mayo dumped on his head. :colbert:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

EightFlyingCars posted:

just make some fries to dip into the mayo, this is a solved problem

This is the most horrifying thing I have read on these forums.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Cthulu Carl posted:

If the Duke doesn't want anyone touching his mayo he shouldn't be selling it in stores or sponsoring a college bowl game where the announcer dip various items in the Duke's mayo and the winning coach gets a vat of the Duke's mayo dumped on his head. :colbert:

the Duke is very proud of the mayonnaise

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I assume the beer and wine the jug can make is of really bad quality (or else magic would put traditional brewers out of business), so that's probably some C-tier, nearly rotten bottom-shelf generic mayo coming out

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Outrail posted:

I hide in the mayo

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Eating at the Olive Labyrinth with the demilich assistant manager because that's the only place where the tabaxi can get a raw steak and the elf can get a decent ceasar salad.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

change my name posted:

I assume the beer and wine the jug can make is of really bad quality (or else magic would put traditional brewers out of business), so that's probably some C-tier, nearly rotten bottom-shelf generic mayo coming out

Why would you assume that? You’ve just got sour grapes about not having a jug of infinite booze.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Uh oh, pull up thread pull up! We're gonna crash right in to another derail about a mage-based economy compared to farming and, apparently, brewing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bird food bathtub posted:

Uh oh, pull up thread pull up! We're gonna crash right in to another derail about a mage-based economy compared to farming and, apparently, brewing.

Mage-o-naise

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
uhhhh literal miracle whip

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MadDogMike posted:

Oddly enough absolutely none of our characters, even the evil one, actually wanted to take over Ravenloft. Admittedly a lot of it was the place was horrible enough to us that nobody wanted to stay anywhere NEAR it once we finally got a chance to escape; I rather expect any song my bard character came up with post-campaign about Ravenloft would have had the lyric "gently caress that loving place" in it somewhere. I seem to recall the general opinion from the party over the whole hinted "maybe Strahd will return from the dead!" thing was "it'll be someone else's problem then!". Though out of character it was probably my favorite campaign I've played ever; we had the right level of competence to adventurer stupidity for it to be a blast. DM was great on the one-liners too; I'm still torn whether I laughed harder over when we tried to lure Mordekainen to the abbot for healing with a Sending spell and got back a reply of "Oh no, the voices in my head are back!!" or when we trolled Strahd by asking why he wasn't eating the lovely meal he prepared for us and he replied "Oh, I'll be dining later this evening" :drac:.

You made the right choice. I haven't played the module but I did read a bunch of Ravenloft novels back in the day, (lol) and I assume the lore is basically the same.

The point of the domains of dread is to torture awful people. Each domain is crafted to torture it's dark "lord". Other people get trapped in them too, but that's mostly incidental. Though honestly most of the normal people you meet there are also kinda lovely.

You can't permanently improve the domains. You can't redeem them. You can't destroy them. You can replace the tortured soul at the center with a new one, but that guy will eventually be twisted into an evil fucker too. Pretty good chance the original "lord" will come back eventually anyway. The only unambiguous good you can do there is rescue a few souls from the cycle of lovely reincarnation by getting them out of Ravenloft and back to the real world. Even that is a bit of a wash, because the mists will just capture new people to keep the population at required levels.

It's the Kobayashi Maru.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm going to assemble a team of adventures to destroy ravenloft once and for all by attacking the mists themselves. Druids, wizards, clerics and sorcerers with a focus on environmental, heat and and weather magics.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Plugging in dehumidifiers all around Barovia

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Outrail posted:

I'm going to assemble a team of adventures to destroy ravenloft once and for all by attacking the mists themselves. Druids, wizards, clerics and sorcerers with a focus on environmental, heat and and weather magics.

Just need a lot of people to cast magic missile at the darkness.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

You made the right choice. I haven't played the module but I did read a bunch of Ravenloft novels back in the day, (lol) and I assume the lore is basically the same.

The point of the domains of dread is to torture awful people. Each domain is crafted to torture it's dark "lord". Other people get trapped in them too, but that's mostly incidental. Though honestly most of the normal people you meet there are also kinda lovely.

You can't permanently improve the domains. You can't redeem them. You can't destroy them. You can replace the tortured soul at the center with a new one, but that guy will eventually be twisted into an evil fucker too. Pretty good chance the original "lord" will come back eventually anyway. The only unambiguous good you can do there is rescue a few souls from the cycle of lovely reincarnation by getting them out of Ravenloft and back to the real world. Even that is a bit of a wash, because the mists will just capture new people to keep the population at required levels.

It's the Kobayashi Maru.

This is why I thought it would be fun to play an evil character who explicitly wanted to take over Barovia. As I player, I got to "win", but I also knew my loathsome jerk of a character would receive his just punishment.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

This is why I thought it would be fun to play an evil character who explicitly wanted to take over Barovia. As I player, I got to "win", but I also knew my loathsome jerk of a character would receive his just punishment.

You probably would get some sort of ironic punishment where every day you try to take over Barovia, you almost do it, you fail, you are publicly humiliated and then painfully killed by Strahd, just to awaken the morning after and restart the cycle.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

You probably would get some sort of ironic punishment where every day you try to take over Barovia, you almost do it, you fail, you are publicly humiliated and then painfully killed by Strahd, just to awaken the morning after and restart the cycle.

Nah, that's why Gjery joined a party of do-gooders and helped them off Strahd. Now he just has to deal with the fact that while he's the master of Barovia and gets to spend all night hunting in whatever wild-shape form he chooses, he has to spend every day as a paltry mortal constantly on the run from all the people who want to hunt him down for all the promises he broke along the way.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Did anyone get the Book of Many Things? I totally forgot about it after the physical delay.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Open Marriage Night posted:

Did anyone get the Book of Many Things? I totally forgot about it after the physical delay.

I did, honestly it was a surprise stand out. While I personally like planescape more, the Book of Many Things is probably one of the best books they have put out for 5e, easily recommend it to any DM.

I am not the best at reviewing, but I can answer any questions you might have.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Yusin posted:

I did, honestly it was a surprise stand out. While I personally like planescape more, the Book of Many Things is probably one of the best books they have put out for 5e, easily recommend it to any DM.

I am not the best at reviewing, but I can answer any questions you might have.

How many odd pages does it have?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Outrail posted:

How many odd pages does it have?

192 + an 80 page booklet that gives info about the cards. (Not in a game mechanics way, but for story and fortune telling and their meanings)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yusin posted:

192 + an 80 page booklet that gives info about the cards. (Not in a game mechanics way, but for story and fortune telling and their meanings)

How many even pages does it have? :dadjoke:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Facebook Aunt posted:

How many even pages does it have? :dadjoke:

:hmmyes:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Obscure FR lore question: does anyone know what language people speak around the Border Kingdoms and the lake of steam? I’m trying to make a map of human languages (i.e. the things people actually speak other than Common) but I can’t see there’s much info in this area.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Reveilled posted:

Obscure FR lore question: does anyone know what language people speak around the Border Kingdoms and the lake of steam? I’m trying to make a map of human languages (i.e. the things people actually speak other than Common) but I can’t see there’s much info in this area.

Welsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Uncommon