Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Docjowles posted:

For real. Ravengard is supposed to be the legendary human shield protecting Baldur's Gate and he got absolutely dunked on by some doughy dipshit who looks like he should be in a VH1 documentary about the 1990s rock scene in St. Louis. Gortash definitely abuses whatever the Sword Coast version of opioids is

Gortash looks like he planewalked out of a Final Fantasy knockoff series and never found his way back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Woolie Wool posted:

Gortash looks like he planewalked out of a Final Fantasy knockoff series and never found his way back home.

I rock his boots when I get them though. Clownshoes really complete my Jafar from Aladdin Warlock look.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Woolie Wool posted:

I really like both Jason Isaacs and JK Simmons but they feel miscast in this. Neither of their voices feel like a natural fit to what you see, which isn't something I'd say about any of the main cast or the majority of the supporting cast.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Orin is extremely well cast otoh

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I dunno. I feel like Isaacs nails the “smarmy dick” voice.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Orin is extremely well cast otoh

The actress does a very good job of trying to be way to loving edgy and extra which is Orins character exactly so really it's perfect casting.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's too bad Slayer form sucks, because it would almost be worth getting just to hear Orin throw her tantrum.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Geekboy posted:

I dunno. I feel like Isaacs nails the “smarmy dick” voice.

I thought he was great, though the character design of Gortash is one of the few misses in the game. JK Simmons mostly just sounds like JK Simmons, though. And why does he have a different accent than his daughter and all his relatives?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man, I'd heard there was genetalia sliders in this game but I had no idea how big it could get

**NWS**

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Playing a less moral character on my third playthrough is kinda hard, but I had a good laugh watching a gnome fly through the air in Act 1.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jenny of Oldstones posted:

Playing a less moral character on my third playthrough is kinda hard, but I had a good laugh watching a gnome fly through the air in Act 1.
good for letting a Resist Durge blow off steam imo

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Neorxenawang posted:

I thought he was great, though the character design of Gortash is one of the few misses in the game. JK Simmons mostly just sounds like JK Simmons, though. And why does he have a different accent than his daughter and all his relatives?

Well his daughter was out of the picture for quite a while, maybe his accent changed along the way somewhere when he lived in some other realm for a couple of decades

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
[A list of oaths and sayings that ought to incur Tymora's blessing, granting the speaker good luck!]

1. By Lady Lucks's Smile

2. Turntable Tymora, I Invoke Thee

3. By The Rolling Of My Dice, Please Let These Results Be Nice

4. Spin, Spin, Oh Fickle Fate Wheel!

5. Lady of the Diamond-Glitter Dice, Mistress of Good Fortune, Sovereign of Luck, Please Have Mercy On Me, For gently caress's Sake

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ZearothK posted:

During EA it was a lot easier to piss off the companions, got tuned way way down, as it was kind of unpopular.

I am not sure it is even possible to get a companion to abandon the party for reasons beyond siding with the Goblins in act 1 or loving up their personal quest (or doing it without them).

If you get them down to -50 approval they'll leave, but pretty much the only way to do this is through repeatedly injuring them in combat. It'd be hard to do by accident even if you're completely reckless with friendly fire.

Of course, leaving the party means losing their protection from the brain worms, so after finding out what the artifact does it kinda makes sense that everyone except Jaheira and Halsin would be reluctant to leave even if they really don't like you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Woolie Wool posted:

I like how as a paladin I cannot commit crimes without breaking my oath, but if Astarion steals everything that is not nailed down and I enjoy the profits from his constant criminal activity, this falls within my oath because

After a while it starts to feel like Mizora's legal games in reverse lol

Lathander: "You know stealing from people you do business with is Bad, right?"
Me: "Under article IV, section 14 of the Oath of the Ancients it says right here that only thefts I have personally committed are covered by the oaths, and also the Zhentarim are thieves and deserve to be stolen from in return."
Lathander: "So why are you buying equipment from the Zhentarim and doing their fetch quest anyway?"
Me: "Just shut up and give me my oath charges for tomorrow."

(I have a mod that lets me select a patron deity for my paladin, aside from unlocking some dialogue options it doesn't do anything, I have it just for role playing)

Playing on multiplayer, it's honestly harder to find safe ways to break my oath on purpose.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Neorxenawang posted:

His relatives are zombies

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For my next run I think I've settled on Bard/Warlock, seems the recommendation is 2 Warlock/10 Swords Bard. Any advice on which to start as?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Bard 5 so you get extra attack

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Bards get their second attack at 6, but 5 is Font of Inspiration, which they need too.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
ok but why Warlock 2 then? you're not blasting or doing anything with a subclass

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Warlock is a popular thing to stick on the side of bard because one level gets you eldritch blast, two for invocations, and three for misty step, plus Pact Weapon if you want to go that route.

There isn't that much wrong with straight bard though and personally I think it's completely reasonable to do (But then, I don't really support multiclassing on principle, I think it's bad design in 5e and I'd only do it in the game for a specific thematic Wyll build because it'd feel too weird to ditch warlock entirely.)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I think the point for taking 2 levels of Warlock is when you want to play a caster (ie. Lore) Bard, becouse it will give you Eldritch Blast + Repelling and Agonizing Blast, so that's a solid, consistent source of magic damage that is still using Charisma as casting modifier. Lore bards focus on buffing/debufffing/controlling spells and don't have extra weapon attacks or proficiencies, so they are a bit lacking in damage department otherwise.

Why would you want to take only 2 levels of Warlock when you want to play Swords Bard, I have no idea, because 2 levels of Warlock will give them nothing. You want either 3 levels and choose Pact of Blade to be able to use your Charisma modifiers for attack/damage rolls of your weapon, or 5 (with Pact of Blade again) to get the bonus weapon attack, for total of 3 with 6 levels of Swords Bard (if you are not playing on Honor mode).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I honestly find it weird that bards are meant to be the the spellcasters that can hold a sword, but they don't get shield or misty step, which is why Bladesingers are eating all the melee bards' lunches at all times in tabletop (on top of all the other stuff from the wizard spell list).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lt. Lizard posted:

I think the point for taking 2 levels of Warlock is when you want to play a caster (ie. Lore) Bard, becouse it will give you Eldritch Blast + Repelling and Agonizing Blast, so that's a solid, consistent source of magic damage that is still using Charisma as casting modifier. Lore bards focus on buffing/debufffing/controlling spells and don't have extra weapon attacks or proficiencies, so they are a bit lacking in damage department otherwise.

Why would you want to take only 2 levels of Warlock when you want to play Swords Bard, I have no idea, because 2 levels of Warlock will give them nothing. You want either 3 levels and choose Pact of Blade to be able to use your Charisma modifiers for attack/damage rolls of your weapon, or 5 (with Pact of Blade again) to get the bonus weapon attack, for total of 3 with 6 levels of Swords Bard (if you are not playing on Honor mode).

Yeah I thought I bookmarked the post that explained it but am struggling to find it again. Oh well.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
If you're doing swords bard then it seems like 3 warlock to get pact blade makes the most sense.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

How much does having a Durge in a co-op game mess with things? Was thinking whenever my friend and i get around to playing this together i would do a resist Durge just so she could see the content.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The Shame Boy posted:

How much does having a Durge in a co-op game mess with things? Was thinking whenever my friend and i get around to playing this together i would do a resist Durge just so she could see the content.

You get dialogue priority in act 3 and should probably do a lot of the convos with Gortash, Orin, and Heslik. The problem is that it can make Act 3 All About That Urge. The Act 2 check could be a deal breaker if you go full “do it for the content”.

Good thing is you can rescue the hostage right away because it’s your house so you can just open the door

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I really enjoyed JK Simmons in the role of Ketheric. His opening scene does a lot to establish his menace as an unstoppable immortal force, but he plays it with almost a bored indifference, which is imo the perfect fit for a guy who literally can't be killed and who has the normal lifespan of an elf anyway. This guy has seen and done just about everything and been through a lot. And nothing can stop him.

Jason Isaacs is great in the role of Gortash but they whiffed hard on the character design. "Handsome young man" lol, he looks like a 45 y/o has been that still tours with their emo band that was popular in the 90s (and still creeps on young teen fans).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I got strong Ryan Adams vibes from Gortash so......yeah, spot on.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Gortash would've been a slam dunk if they just hadn't explicitly described him as a 'handsome young man'. I'm ok with the villain being an obviously evil middle-aged pervert with a lovely dye job.

Maybe he's doctoring the Absolute's projections

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
JK Simmons is one of those guys who seems to just always play himself and it takes you out of anything he's in.
The only memorable big role I remember seeing him in was Whiplash and every time I see him in anything else it just feels like a riff on that same character.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

He's brilliant in Counterpart, where he plays JK Simmons and alt-universe Opposite JK Simmons.

I don't normally get the fawning over actors playing different versions of the same character but he nails it.

Also it's just a brilliant show all round.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JK Simmons is a great actor but his Ketheric does feel out of place, like he's trying to do Lear while the other Chosen understood the assignment a little better. I love Maggie Robertson's community theatre rendition of Orin, it's all so irritatingly tryhard much like the Cult of Bhaal itself.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

simmons in his prime probably had it in him to to do the kind of full-on operatic supervillain that a game like BG3 demanded, but the guy's 69 (nice) and looks like james randi and i'm not sure if he's got that kind of juice left anymore

i'm surprised they didn't just dig up simon templeman from wherever he's nesting, he's probably got the perfect voice for it at his age and he knows how to play a part like ketheric

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I have trouble not seeing JK Simmons as his character from Oz, so it adds a certain amount of menace to any villain role he's cast in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Vermain posted:

simmons in his prime probably had it in him to to do the kind of full-on operatic supervillain that a game like BG3 demanded, but the guy's 69 (nice) and looks like james randi and i'm not sure if he's got that kind of juice left anymore

i'm surprised they didn't just dig up simon templeman from wherever he's nesting, he's probably got the perfect voice for it at his age and he knows how to play a part like ketheric

Eh, I dunno, he gets pretty angry in Invincible.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Medullah posted:

Eh, I dunno, he gets pretty angry in Invincible.

it's less "anger" and more "bombast" that you need for a production like BG3. you gotta get that 2002 raimi spider-man energy when you're in a game about fighting evil squidhead guys with a party composed of very much larger-than-life personalities, but that's over two decades removed, and sometimes you just can't get that energy back

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

As a still relatively new player, I'm trying to start using up more of the consumables I'm hoarding. Are there any scrolls in particular that I should have Gale learn? I'd like to get use up a bunch but I keep thinking he needs them.

E- and since I'm posting, I'm using the camp events notification mod but don't know what it means when the exclamation is over my character's head, not a companion's. Anyone know?

Snowy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Snowy posted:

As a still relatively new player, I'm trying to start using up more of the consumables I'm hoarding. Are there any scrolls in particular that I should have Gale learn? I'd like to get use up a bunch but I keep thinking he needs them.

E- and since I'm posting, I'm using the camp events notification mod but don't know what it means when the exclamation is over my character's head, not a companion's. Anyone know?

There are a gajillion scrolls in the game. I pretty much had Gale learn everything he could (which, in case you didn't notice it like me, there's a button to see what he can learn when you're in the preparing scrolls menu...I was clicking each scroll individually to see if I could learn it for the first ~100 hours).