Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That's right I'm back for more

In a 500e

edit: motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Petition to extend party to page 1001!

I mean I don't know how much effort goes into a probe, maybe one page is enough.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GoutPatrol posted:

That's right I'm back for more

In a 500e

edit: motherfucker

Gotta get up early in the morning to get probed around here. :clint:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How dare you write Open instead of Opel on my probe message. :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Gotta get up early in the morning to get probed around here. :clint:

most purported alien abductions are said to take place between 3 and 4AM

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

There was an alarming lack of electric rangers xls on the previous page.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Going to have to break thread rules to get probed now. Brb, working on some Elon screeds

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Advent Horizon posted:

I do love a wet Beaver. Even better if it has an electric buzz.

Not referring to them as ElectroBeaver is the biggest missed opportunity in the history of marketing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Since we’re kind of poo poo posting waiting to be probed, do you know where you can reliably see a bunch of EVs? Hiking trailheads. They’re a small but noticeable minority on the road, but if you’re gonna climb a mountain everything at the bottom is either an actual off road vehicle like an old Range Rover or some kind of EV.

At least from the sample size of all the hiking trails I go to.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Since we’re kind of poo poo posting waiting to be probed

I don't feel like that changed when we hit 1000 pages, though.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Xiahou Dun posted:

Since we’re kind of poo poo posting waiting to be probed, do you know where you can reliably see a bunch of EVs? Hiking trailheads. They’re a small but noticeable minority on the road, but if you’re gonna climb a mountain everything at the bottom is either an actual off road vehicle like an old Range Rover or some kind of EV.

At least from the sample size of all the hiking trails I go to.

A couple of years ago a friend invited me to participate in an Earth-Day EV show&tell at a local library. My Y was cool and all, but I also got to see one of the first local Kia EV6, along with an electric Mini and an original Tesla Roadster.

It was pretty awesome to be able see them all literally side-by-side. We also had signs with year and odometer readings, so you had an idea how something might wear over time.

Highly recommend dropping by one if you can.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

A couple of years ago a friend invited me to participate in an Earth-Day EV show&tell at a local library. My Y was cool and all, but I also got to see one of the first local Kia EV6, along with an electric Mini and an original Tesla Roadster.

It was pretty awesome to be able see them all literally side-by-side. We also had signs with year and odometer readings, so you had an idea how something might wear over time.

Highly recommend dropping by one if you can.

I stopped doing these because I was tired of cleaning sunscreen off everything inside the car.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cruft posted:

I stopped doing these because I was tired of cleaning sunscreen off everything inside the car.

What works good for that, I constantly get some in my car and It’s always such a bitch to clean.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

cruft posted:

Fair point. I'm far enough north that "sun screen" could just be a funny way of saying "the little flip-down visor".

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

What works good for that, I constantly get some in my car and It’s always such a bitch to clean.

I wish I knew. There's a spot on the front passenger door that we still haven't gotten out.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Regular dish soap is a decent degreaser that's not going to damage most surfaces. It's great for removing bug guts from the windshield as well.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
(Ioniq 6 things)

Tayter Swift posted:

edit: the "get some rest" bullshit warning went off four times in 30 minutes of highway driving and I can't figure out how to turn that poo poo off

I went this same route last night without the warning. Maybe it's adapting to my driving, or maybe I really did need some rest :shrug:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

cruft posted:

I wish I knew. There's a spot on the front passenger door that we still haven't gotten out.

Is this in your Model 3? If so, I have the same spot, but on the driver side.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

Yeah, it's where your elbow would go if you were going to roll the window all the way down and stick your hand out to idly play like it's an airplane wing.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

Wait, if it's not in my Model 3, is that going to change the location of your spot?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

cruft posted:

Wait, if it's not in my Model 3, is that going to change the location of your spot?

We’ve found a very specific kind of quantum entanglement.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

cruft posted:

I'm going to collapse this waveform. I almost didn't want to post this, as looking at the picture, the door interior here is way more dirty than I thought, but I'm going to anyway. It seems the 'soft' parts of the door discolored from the sun screen, and I haven't found anything that will get it off. I've tried the usual suspects, but maybe there is some secret detailing method/solvent?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mustache Ride posted:

There was an alarming lack of electric rangers xls on the previous page.

Hey, I got one in!

Kinda sad I missed getting a Red Bolt in my rap sheet too. Maybe CI can hook me up next time I'm Too Mean to 3O.

Bone Crimes posted:

I'm going to collapse this waveform. I almost didn't want to post this, as looking at the picture, the door interior here is way more dirty than I thought, but I'm going to anyway. It seems the 'soft' parts of the door discolored from the sun screen, and I haven't found anything that will get it off. I've tried the usual suspects, but maybe there is some secret detailing method/solvent?

If you spray it with acetone, you shouldn't have to worry about the sunscreen spot anymore.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FlapYoJacks posted:

How dare you write Open instead of Opel on my probe message. :colbert:

Oneof the best things Astral has doe is make probes editable, esp of clunky rear end spellers like me. Should be correct when the queue is flushed

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oneof the best things Astral has doe is make probes editable, esp of clunky rear end spellers like me. Should be correct when the queue is flushed

It's fixed! Thank you!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You missed me. :'(

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i like that the electrobeaver just says "PLANE" on the tail

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrLogan posted:

You missed me. :'(

Oh I might have just been waiting a tic ..... :D

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Decided to pull the trigger. Went for a Model 3 in the end, 2023 version so not the fancy newest one but I've been reading user reviews which complain a lot that the new Highland refresh isn't actually that much of an improvement in e.g. cabin noise, music system etc. versus the 2023 models. Also this means I get actual stalks for indicating and such so, kind of a win. Also also they were doing a discount on the long range RWD version from £47,000 to £42,300 which seems like a pretty good deal and means I can probably just go for cash payment.

Any UK posters got recommendations on best home charger for this thing? Zappi and Ohm seem to be recommended on Reddit. The Tesla one looks nice but I hear it can sometimes be more expensive to install for some reason?
I need to look into Octupus energy too, though there are three different tarifs including the one where you can use the car as a house battery, it's taking me a while to wrap my head around which might be best.

edit: belated happy big thread day, thread!

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 16, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

From what I’ve read the 2019 refresh was a bigger deal than the 2024 one and yeah, gently caress lack of stalks.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I think dad is finally going to buy a car.

He spent a good half hour last night explaining to me that the Y is $11k cheaper than the 3 right now, but it has a lower range. Finally, he asked which one we would get if we had to get one, and we said we'd take the Y, the turn signal stalk, and $11k.

On monday he's planning to saunter into... the service center? I don't think he understands what "no dealerships" means. Whatever, we'll hang out with him while they do our CCS retrofit.

We'll see. It's taken him two years so far.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

El Grillo posted:

Decided to pull the trigger. Went for a Model 3 in the end, 2023 version so not the fancy newest one but I've been reading user reviews which complain a lot that the new Highland refresh isn't actually that much of an improvement in e.g. cabin noise, music system etc. versus the 2023 models. Also this means I get actual stalks for indicating and such so, kind of a win. Also also they were doing a discount on the long range RWD version from £47,000 to £42,300 which seems like a pretty good deal and means I can probably just go for cash payment.

Any UK posters got recommendations on best home charger for this thing? Zappi and Ohm seem to be recommended on Reddit. The Tesla one looks nice but I hear it can sometimes be more expensive to install for some reason?
I need to look into Octupus energy too, though there are three different tarifs including the one where you can use the car as a house battery, it's taking me a while to wrap my head around which might be best.

In the US, at least, electricians tend to see $$$ when someone mentions installing an EV charger. Moreso when it's a Tesla. Might be worth popping over to the owner club forums and see what other people recommend.

cruft posted:

He spent a good half hour last night explaining to me that the Y is $11k cheaper than the 3 right now, but it has a lower range. Finally, he asked which one we would get if we had to get one, and we said we'd take the Y, the turn signal stalk, and $11k.

On monday he's planning to saunter into... the service center? I don't think he understands what "no dealerships" means. Whatever, we'll hang out with him while they do our CCS retrofit.

Model Y are getting a $1,000 price increase in April.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I paid $300 for my plug installation in 2020 but the plug was installed directly behind my exterior electrical panel so really the easiest possible install.

It also kind of sounded like that was the only place they were willing to install it like if I wanted in a different place rather than charging me more they just wouldn’t want the work. Probably just a weird individual thing to them. But that spot worked fine for my install so I didn’t care.

At the opposite end of the spectrum I paid $1200 for my hot tub plug installation which is basically the same work but was in a much less convenient spot which necessitated a lot of crawling around in my attic.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

El Grillo posted:

I don’t know how it would be more expensive to install, but I have the Tesla wall mounted charger and it was cheaper than most of the other options to buy. Install should be the same price they all get fed power the same way.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

bird with big dick posted:

I paid $300 for my plug installation in 2020 but the plug was installed directly behind my exterior electrical panel so really the easiest possible install.

It also kind of sounded like that was the only place they were willing to install it like if I wanted in a different place rather than charging me more they just wouldn’t want the work. Probably just a weird individual thing to them. But that spot worked fine for my install so I didn’t care.

At the opposite end of the spectrum I paid $1200 for my hot tub plug installation which is basically the same work but was in a much less convenient spot which necessitated a lot of crawling around in my attic.

I'd say $300 for a plug literally inches away from the panel is a bit expensive, but otherwise this is how things should be, longer runs take more time, wire, and effort which is why they should cost more.

I believe the entire install cost for my hardwired tesla HPWC was around $960 including the unit itself which was $500 when I bought it, $350 for wire/conduit/breaker. Rest was some misc stuff, fasteners, grease, a spare 6-50 outlet in case I ever wanted to swap to an outlet instead, and finally inspection by the municipal building inspector. No labor cost because I did it myself (it is really not at all complicated if you are even remotely proficient at DIY projects).

Oh, and then my power utility wrote me a $500 rebate check as incentive for installing an EV charger.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
In general seems like maybe UK prices are higher at the moment, the absolute starting point seems to be about £950. No idea why it should be so much more expensive than US.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Just lol, lmao at the folks that didn't get EV prob'd.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

cruft posted:

[……]

Looking forward to your posts far in the future, of your father on his deathbed still waffling about buying a car.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kirios posted:

Just lol, lmao at the folks that didn't get EV prob'd.

Probes are only given to bad people and every single one is a mark of shame

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

Probes are only given to bad people and every single one is a mark of shame

Most Sixxers in AI are not shameful and are to be treasured.

Your Costco food crimes on the other hand....... dear god. I should 18hr you just for how cursed they are. Again