Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Asteroid Alert posted:

I'm not getting any severance.

If I quit of my own volition, I'd have to seriously prove that it was for due cause. Otherwise I risk losing unemployment benefits for a fair few months.

Since there's the 2 week notice period before my time begins, I'm still required to do things my employer defines as per by my contract.

You're sick that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Accipiter posted:

As someone who travels A LOT (not for work), I will tell you that often times the vacations where you do very little can be some of the best.

The nickname given to me at work is "jet set" because of how much I travel, but with as much plane hopping as I do I still enjoy the hell out of a week of just not working.

A guy I used to work with travels like every other weekend. Just picks a random place that has a cheap flight, flies out Friday night, checks out some local breweries, and flies home Sunday. He's a single dude with no other responsibilities and thats what he likes to do. Super jealous and think it would be really cool.

When the kids are grown, I'd love to just go to google flights, pick a cheap flight somewhere and spend a weekend somewhere I've never been.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Asteroid Alert posted:

Since there's the 2 week notice period before my time begins, I'm still required to do things my employer defines as per by my contract.

Internet Explorer posted:

You're sick that day.

Or accidentally delete the invite from your calendar.

Or attend but make them wish you hadn't.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

skipdogg posted:

A guy I used to work with travels like every other weekend. Just picks a random place that has a cheap flight, flies out Friday night, checks out some local breweries, and flies home Sunday. He's a single dude with no other responsibilities and thats what he likes to do. Super jealous and think it would be really cool.

I was doing this before COVID hit and I really miss it. I need to get back to it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

skipdogg posted:

That's literally what I do a lot of the time. I've been to all 50 states, mostly on weekenders (so I don't need to take any PTO), see the big stuff, check out local breweries, and sample the flavor before heading home Sunday night and back to work on Monday.

When possible and applicable I take my girlfriend with me. Impromptu weekend trips are great to shake things up and keep the routines interesting.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'd love to travel like that but I'm too drat tall for economy seats. Flying on a budget is miserable for me. Which unfortunately rules out (possibly) cool consulting jobs that require frequent travel.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hugemoris

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Cried in my office today, starting to think that I don't like this job. Took Monday off and my plan is to do as many applications as possible.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Just remember that you deserve better and will find better

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's not DNS
it couldn't be DNS
it... wait it isn't dns?

no it is DNS

wait it isn't

gently caress I'm gonna be working this weekend

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sorry

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sorry nothing, at least I'm employed

I feel awful for all y'all going through the worst of this cycle of pad-bonuses-by-firing-everyone cycle, y'all deserve better for sure

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

:hai:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

tokin as fun as it is to josh you for being a zoomer, yeah that job sucks and you absolutely deserve better

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I love DNS!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Thanks all, I talked it over with a friend and I'm feeling more grounded now. Actively looking for jobs and in the worst case I've got ~10 months of living expenses saved. All I want is to work for people who know more than I do and act like adults, rather than 40 year old tweens.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that latter part is gonna be difficult

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How much is to much? Because Im at 5 weeks and I feel like I could use another 5 weeks.

I guess I'd be a bad case, but I'm up to 4 weeks, but I gain 10hrs every 2 weeks.

My issue is I dealt with some bad times in my life by staying so busy I didn't have to think about things. I don't recommend that method.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

I guess I'd be a bad case, but I'm up to 4 weeks, but I gain 10hrs every 2 weeks.

My issue is I dealt with some bad times in my life by staying so busy I didn't have to think about things. I don't recommend that method.

There's lots of coping mechanisms that make things worse in some ways but deal with a specific issue pretty well. Good Scotch for example.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yo it takes a minute to migrate a 50tb vm from a. Nimble to a netapp. Good times.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Accipiter posted:

As someone who travels A LOT (not for work), I will tell you that often times the vacations where you do very little can be some of the best.

The nickname given to me at work is "jet set" because of how much I travel, but with as much plane hopping as I do I still enjoy the hell out of a week of just not working.

Yeah, I'd like some quiet. I seem to be doing all Linux work in the entire org, and that's getting stressful…

Second week I might hope on a train and see where that takes me. I have an unlimited rail pass as long as I stick to regional trains and buses and ferries, so I don't have to plan ahead either.

GreenNight posted:

Yo it takes a minute to migrate a 50tb vm from a. Nimble to a netapp. Good times.

We have a 500TB powervault with attached vSphere cluster and I dread the day we have to ditch both. Clock's ticking…

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My advice is to quit your job and go hike a long trail. I did that and got a better job afterwards. It’s a 100% success rate.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

tokin opposition posted:

Cried in my office today, starting to think that I don't like this job. Took Monday off and my plan is to do as many applications as possible.

I dealt with an abusive boss (make no mistake, this is what you're dealing with) for far too long, and the day I handed in my notice my mood improved so dramatically it was like a light switch. I did this before I had another job lined up - I wouldn't recommend that on general principles because not having an income and watching your savings dwindle is a layer of stress on top of that of job hunting. But it was better for me than the alternative.

It may help if you actively disengage from your current job - I mean stop caring about meeting any expectations your boss may have (since they aren't achievable anyway). That combined with actively job hunting will hopefully improve your mood, because you're taking steps to get out of your situation, rather than just sitting there feeling trapped. I feel like that was my biggest mistake when I was going through it.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Kinda sucks to learn that my department (which is less than 6 months old) apparently we're already going through budget cuts on staff. Fired one guy who had it coming and two who didn't.

That's depressing. I think I still have reasonable job security, but man.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I was just reading the hdparm manpage because I needed some obscure feature. It's the only manual that keeps shouting at me.

I appreciate that the warnings aren't copy pasted. Someone thought about each warning and whether merely bold text wasn't enough and ALL CAPS was necessary.

Also, I think the author wants to tell me something.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Serious Hardware/Software Crap › Working in IT 3.0: EXTREMELY DANGEROUS

I've been having a hell of a time at work and I sure would love to complain about it but it's probably too easy for that to come bite me in the rear end at some point.

tokin opposition posted:

Thanks all, I talked it over with a friend and I'm feeling more grounded now. Actively looking for jobs and in the worst case I've got ~10 months of living expenses saved. All I want is to work for people who know more than I do and act like adults, rather than 40 year old tweens.

I haven't posted much in here but I've been following your trials and let me be another voice to the chorus, you absolutely deserve better and I'm sure you'll find it.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Just got told I'm being sent to Vegas for the ServiceNow conference. I've never been to an event like this before, and I'm not sure this is where I want to start, but oh well!

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
More like ServiceNever. I jest, but that does sounds like a sleepy vendor conference to start with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Skip the morning sessions and use the pools when they aren't busy

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Service now is absolutely horrible and a miserable user experience. While you are there please slap a dev for me.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SNOW is one if those things that is only as good as the effort you put into it

if you have a dedicated team that knows what they're doing it can be a perfectly reasonable user experience

most orgs do not put that level of effort into it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a platform not a product, and a company buying into it without committing to giving it full time developer resources is going to have a bad time

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've bitched a lot about our IT department, but the one thing they've managed to implement reasonably well is SNOW.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Fool posted:

SNOW is one if those things that is only as good as the effort you put into it

Except it gets slower the more you put into it.

Simple things like "loading a form" or "searching for a thing" are loving abysmal for us because of all the background scripting they're using to populate box drop downs.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

you ate my cat posted:

Just got told I'm being sent to Vegas for the ServiceNow conference. I've never been to an event like this before, and I'm not sure this is where I want to start, but oh well!

Have fun. I've been 7 times.

Here's some advice -

Skip the massive keynotes and watch from your hotel room if you don't want to get up early.
The conference food is terrible so I recommend expensing your meals.
The most valuable sessions will be the smallest random companies talking about how they implemented something unique.
Make sure to sign up for partner happy hours and events if you want to meet other ServiceNow people.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

We've had performance issues with SNOW, oh yes. We have a team of 5 just managing our 9000+ kinds of Configuration Items. On an INCident ticket, I have buttons to assign it to the affected user's local onsite team, the support team for the CI, or send it back to Service Desk to try routing it again. I can start a Bomgar remote support session with another button. It's integrated with Nexthink so I can pull up device health information and run remote actions. People complain that you have to create a Business Service in order to fill out the form to have a Jenkins job create a new VM for you, but the primary and delegates on the service automatically get notifications when a maintenance window is scheduled for the ESXi host or NAS that the VM lives on.

We also have enough of a license spend that they put engineering resources into optimizing their way out of our performance issues and allotted more compute to us.

It really is a platform, and we've gotten it mature enough that were realizing real benefits from the automation we can implement. Even HR, Finance, and Facilities use it. That creates a one-stop landing page for requesting things or reporting breakage across the enterprise. I'd estimate at least 20 FTEs and 30 or 40 contractors work on the platform now, and it's worth it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mllaneza posted:

People complain that you have to create a Business Service in order to fill out the form to have a Jenkins job create a new VM for you, but the primary and delegates on the service automatically get notifications when a maintenance window is scheduled for the ESXi host or NAS that the VM lives on.

At my current job I'm directly responsible for the requirement to have an application defined in BMC before resources can be deployed via terraform, and by god I'd do it again.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

All I know about Service Now is they pillaged anything worth anything from my last job lol

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Did the new teams client kill the option to get a notification when a coworkers status changes, or is that something that can be disabled on tenant level.

I’m currently missing this option and it completely sucks to keep track of when coworkers in different timezones come online…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Susat posted:

Kinda sucks to learn that my department (which is less than 6 months old) apparently we're already going through budget cuts on staff. Fired one guy who had it coming and two who didn't.

That's depressing. I think I still have reasonable job security, but man.

I was talking with the other person doing support this morning and we did a quick comb through sailpoint and some separations tickets, found out a total of 12 people across our entire division got let go this friday under 5 months of our division's lifespan. Our division total was only 50 people at the start across Service Desk, IPNT, Access and License Management.

There's been some reductions across the entire board at my org but oof. 24% feels like a lot.