Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Phenotype posted:

How do you deal with chargers besides using EATs? I always feel kinda helpless when they show up unless I've got them. They move around enough that it seems really tough to hit them with airstrikes, and the only other option seems to be bringing a similarly-limited support weapon like the Spear or RR.

My usual loadout for anything higher than a 4 has been EAT, laser or shield backpack, and two airstrike-type stratagems, and I'm finding it really hard to break away from it.

A bit late for this but hey:

Cheap comedy option. If you throw a stratagem ball while they're doing their little rearing up hop with their front legs before they charge, it will stick to the charger. It usually bounces off the exoskeleton at other times.

So what you want to do is call a Supply or SOS beacon and make it drop on top of the charger, killing it completely or leaving it wounded and with its armor gone. Super cheap and effective. Just try to stay close to it so it doesn't gain much speed (the pod can miss if the bug runs too fast).

It's the poor man's Orbital Rail Cannon strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

space uncle posted:

My favorite open mic moment was a bro who was talking to his bro in the room over.
“Dude this game is sick.”
“What you doin later”
“Oh poo poo look at this”
“Yeah I’ll hit you guys up later”
“Yeah I kept seeing clips of this game on my TikTok had to get it looked so fuckin sick”

His open mic convo got another pubbie bro to chime in
“Yo bro this was on my TikTok too I kept seeing it looked hella fun so I bought it”
“Hell yeah bro”

Just two Cadet bros broing out about TikTok and killing bugs. Then Bro #2 couldn’t figure out how to work the map and we never made it into the next mission and our lovable group of open mic idiots disbanded.

i had two guys talking about how one of their girlfriends puts cilantro on kraft dinner when she makes it and other ways they like the prepare their macaroni

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Been trying some wacky loadouts and the ballistic shield feels buggy as hell. Getting stuck in T-pose/ragdoll when I switch with it out and stuff. I do like that they made a variant one-handd reload animation just for a niche piece of equipment though. Attention to detail like that is what elevates this game.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LazyMaybe posted:

Right, which is exactly why I don't take rocket pods. A anti-armor strat which is only good against 1/2 of the heavy armor bugs is not a great choice for bug missions.

Yeah I find the Rocket Pods much better for bot missions because you can use it to crack a lot of their heavy armor and also drop them on Fabricators to destroy them in a pinch.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Qubee posted:

The cooldown makes me vomit. It's also relatively useless because there's never a single instance of bile titans showing up. They keep cropping up in waves and your orbital laser will inevitably be on cooldown.

On bug missions you aren't using orbitals to clear out titans, you're using them to clear out the 9001 small and medium bugs that are threatening to overwhelm you.

Phenotype posted:

How do you deal with chargers besides using EATs? I always feel kinda helpless when they show up unless I've got them. They move around enough that it seems really tough to hit them with airstrikes, and the only other option seems to be bringing a similarly-limited support weapon like the Spear or RR.

My usual loadout for anything higher than a 4 has been EAT, laser or shield backpack, and two airstrike-type stratagems, and I'm finding it really hard to break away from it.

Suck it up and bring recoilless rifle (don't bring spear because even when it locks on it loves to hit the back armor, requiring two shots to take it out), orbital rail gun stratagem one shots them, orbital laser will kill them but takes most of the charge, 110 rocket pods can one shot them or leave them damaged enough to finish off with other methods, use a flamethrower to focus one of their legs, use a railgun in unsafe mode to penetrate their armor, empty out all your impact grenades on their rear end, simply spam them down with arc thrower, call in a mech and be able to deal with up to 12 chargers if you're good at shooting their legs, use grenade launcher to blow up their rear end or, if you're super pro, explode underneath them. I'm sure there's more.

I think playing with just EATs for anti armor is super greedy and only works consistently if you're only running into one or two armored threats at a time. Which maybe you are at the difficulty you're playing at, in which case master shooting chargers in the head to one shot them if you don't want to bring more than just EATs.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Janissary Hop posted:

I think playing with just EATs for anti armor is super greedy and only works consistently if you're only running into one or two armored threats at a time. Which maybe you are at the difficulty you're playing at, in which case master shooting chargers in the head to one shot them if you don't want to bring more than just EATs.

bring more EATs

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Riatsala posted:

I'm almost at the point where I'm willing to kick any pubbie who takes mortar sentry. Almost.

theres two guys i play with semi-regularly and they always bring mortars on bug missions. the only time i convinced them not to is when i told them it will blow up their newly bought mechs. then they brought them on the next mission, which some unlucky goon joined in on, played a mission and a half, then left mid mission, understandably.

Hakarne posted:

Can Eagle Clusters really close bug holes?

i almost always bring clusters on bug missions and they have closed a nest hole maybe twice. it can happen but you have to be super lucky. kinda like napalm strike will some times take out a bot factory.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Riatsala posted:

I'm almost at the point where I'm willing to kick any pubbie who takes mortar sentry. Almost.

I just camp on top of them on exterminate missions but some sickos bring them on regular jobs. In such situations you can just blow up the turret with a grenade

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Janissary Hop posted:

On bug missions you aren't using orbitals to clear out titans, you're using them to clear out the 9001 small and medium bugs that are threatening to overwhelm you.

Suck it up and bring recoilless rifle (don't bring spear because even when it locks on it loves to hit the back armor, requiring two shots to take it out), orbital rail gun stratagem one shots them, orbital laser will kill them but takes most of the charge, 110 rocket pods can one shot them or leave them damaged enough to finish off with other methods, use a flamethrower to focus one of their legs, use a railgun in unsafe mode to penetrate their armor, empty out all your impact grenades on their rear end, simply spam them down with arc thrower, call in a mech and be able to deal with up to 12 chargers if you're good at shooting their legs, use grenade launcher to blow up their rear end or, if you're super pro, explode underneath them. I'm sure there's more.

You should be calling EATs every 70 seconds, 60 with the upgrade, whether you need them or not. The field should be littered with EATs especially if you end up in a position for more than a couple of minutes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

yeah EATs rule. Bringing up map should have em all over the place

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

The thing is it is a 4-player game. You've got 3 other kits on the field in addition to the EAT.

You're not the only person on the field. Yeah, you get two tubes every 60 seconds, plus the pod if you're clever. But what does the rest of the team have? A flamethrower? That kills chargers leaving you to swat titans. Autocannon? That wrecks Devastators. Air strikes?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

PookBear posted:

I turned off crossplay so I didn't have to deal with console players and their love of open mics they bought for 10 dollars in 2006

No one on console buys those mics. The mics are built into every PS5 controller and in Sony's infinite wisdom they are on and not muted by default on startup. Basically no one changes that default.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

also worth repeating for those that don't know: when you drop a weapon, if you don't plan on using it right away, break its pod so that it falls on the ground. that way, it becomes marked on the map. very useful for when you're EAT spamming

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If everyone brings the expendable you can have so many of the things lying around you can just spend them on crap that doesn't even need it like Brood Commanders or Bile Spewers. If you get unlucky with Titan spawns and get loads of them at once, it can get hairy, but I usually don't have any trouble managing Titans and hordes with just the regular Eagle Airstrike and contact nades plus my Slugger/Sickle. For objectives and extraction you just call in a Patriot and mop the floor with however many bugs the game decides to throw at you.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Having two people with EATs feels super good.

Being able to take out three or four chargers, accounting for misses, and having enough shots to take out at least one bile titan every minute-ish is super effective.

They really do need to fix the spear though because it should be super cool and satisfying but most of the time it's just frustrating. I feel like if it could reliably lock on, even it if intentionally had problems with fog or other natural visibility problems, it would be exceptionally well balanced.

Someone asked and I didn't see this directly answered, current railgun still feels pretty good and puts in work where its needed. Having to basically always use it in unsafe mode is basically the exact change that it needed for balance. It adds a little bit more time between shots and that makes situations where it previously excelled a little more hectic, it still one shots a ton of stuff that takes the AC or AMR two or three shots to take down (and those still have the upper hand of taking out bot tanks and towers more easily), still takes out bile titans in, uh, several hits, etc. But with that slightly added time to fire and always present threat of blowing yourself up while trying to line up the perfect shot it no longer feels like the railgun trivializes too many encounters. Having absolutely zero crowd control but keeping a backpack slot free feels like a fine trade off, you can run it with an ammo pack to have more than enough shots for anything, a rover to keep trash off of you while aiming in hairy bug situations, or a shield for extra survivability.

I still use it a lot less frequently than before but I feel like its a fine pick for either bots or bugs, definitely better against bots though.

E: unrelated, I want to be able to cook my stratagem call downs. I get why we can't, having every half the stratagems also be an orbital rail cannon and the ability to be way more precise with eagle strike, etc, would be busted strong. But it would feel great.

One of the things that initially peaked my interest in this game was hearing about Malevelon Creek, being absolutely ambushed by bot laser fire from all sides and deciding to just call down an air strike directly on your own position because you know you're already dead. Imagine holding on to a cluster bomb strike and then last second diving into the horde.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 16, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

4 EATs is a hoot

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

not a fan if pubbies bringing their motars but the extreme hatred they sometimes receive is just toxic gamer bs.

had a match today with two weirdos named MOONBEAR and MOONOWL lvl 50/49 and we played two missions 7 with another 29 pubby who dared to bring his motar to a rescue op. I was collecting samples elsewhere as both moonies were terrible at proper map exploration and they were at the objective when apparently the pubby dropped his motar and instead of just destroying it they completely went off the rails shouting "omg kick kick!!" and ofc kicked him. Complete overreaction, everything went smooth before and the lvl 29 pubby was definitely not a bad player otherwise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The increased stategem cooldown on Draupnir makes it one brutal grind. Lots of open ground laced with chokepoints so after your initial deaths it's a long time to wait until you've got your stratagems back up to deal with the growing bot numbers.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

FunkyFjord posted:

Having two people with EATs feels super good.

Being able to take out three or four chargers, accounting for misses, and having enough shots to take out at least one bile titan every minute-ish is super effective.

They really do need to fix the spear though because it should be super cool and satisfying but most of the time it's just frustrating. I feel like if it could reliably lock on, even it if intentionally had problems with fog or other natural visibility problems, it would be exceptionally well balanced.

Someone asked and I didn't see this directly answered, current railgun still feels pretty good and puts in work where its needed. Having to basically always use it in unsafe mode is basically the exact change that it needed for balance. It adds a little bit more time between shots and that makes situations where it previously excelled a little more hectic, it still one shots a ton of stuff that takes the AC or AMR two or three shots to take down (and those still have the upper hand of taking out bot tanks and towers more easily), still takes out bile titans in, uh, several hits, etc. But with that slightly added time to fire and always present threat of blowing yourself up while trying to line up the perfect shot it no longer feels like the railgun trivializes too many encounters. Having absolutely zero crowd control but keeping a backpack slot free feels like a fine trade off, you can run it with an ammo pack to have more than enough shots for anything, a rover to keep trash off of you while aiming in hairy bug situations, or a shield for extra survivability.

I still use it a lot less frequently than before but I feel like its a fine pick for either bots or bugs, definitely better against bots though.

I think my only complaint about the Railgun is that it should be able to unsafe charge two-tap Tanks and Turrets in their weak spot. But other than that they feel like they're in a good spot.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

I just camp on top of them on exterminate missions but some sickos bring them on regular jobs. In such situations you can just blow up the turret with a grenade

they go down with a couple bullets too, no need to waste a grenade

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Warmachine posted:

The thing is it is a 4-player game. You've got 3 other kits on the field in addition to the EAT.

You're not the only person on the field. Yeah, you get two tubes every 60 seconds, plus the pod if you're clever. But what does the rest of the team have? A flamethrower? That kills chargers leaving you to swat titans. Autocannon? That wrecks Devastators. Air strikes?

What I do is spawn the EATs whenever I can, even when I don't need them, and then I mark the pod when it lands. The pubbies usually take the hint fairly easily and... what do you know? Suddenly there's more than 1 of us carrying them. And then I keep spawning them on every cooldown.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Hwurmp posted:

You're too close, you need to shoot from farther away.

No, farther than that.

No, farther than that.

No, farther than that.
... no that's too far

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Blue beams can't melt steel beams? Yeah, I'm sure he'd like us to think that

Spookydonut posted:

apparently the global K:D across all players is 4:1

mine is 53:1 so i weep at all the people who must be 4:1 or worse

No loving way

chami posted:

I don't remember exactly what it is for the Sickle, but at least the laser cannon SFX changes pitch when you're about to overheat. I wouldn't be surprised if there were something similar and another visual cue like more smoke coming out of the barrel when you're close to the burnout point for the Sickle.

The gun starts visibly venting heat when it's getting close to cooked, and i think the pitch changes as well.

But honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about overheating. The thing has SIX heat sinks, I don't think I've ever even gotten down to three left

causticBeet posted:

One or two stun grenades in the new warbond are really good at making chargers stand still for just long enough to eat poo poo from your airstrike or choice. They seem really good in general, it’s just a hard trade off for “can 1 shot spewers and easily close bug nests”

I feel like I can't give that up though, it's already super frustrating not to have enough grenades to close all the holes, can't imagine not having any.

That being said some missions don't include bug holes or factories so maybe I'll consider changing loadout on those alone.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

hey mom its 420 posted:

also worth repeating for those that don't know: when you drop a weapon, if you don't plan on using it right away, break its pod so that it falls on the ground. that way, it becomes marked on the map. very useful for when you're EAT spamming
This is genius. Does it also work on resupply pods or do those not get marked on the map?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Play posted:

I feel like I can't give that up though, it's already super frustrating not to have enough grenades to close all the holes, can't imagine not having any.

That being said some missions don't include bug holes or factories so maybe I'll consider changing loadout on those alone.

If you have a secondary that can close them like a GL it makes the most sense, but otherwise you’re subjecting yourself to the will of your teammates. Which can be not a big deal at all or really annoying depending on how cohesive everything is. In general I think the strategem/inventory loadout system is more fun when you rely on your team a bit instead of only ever bringing a perfectly rounded loadout that can deal with a little bit of everything.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 16, 2024

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

The increased stategem cooldown on Draupnir makes it one brutal grind. Lots of open ground laced with chokepoints so after your initial deaths it's a long time to wait until you've got your stratagems back up to deal with the growing bot numbers.

Stratagem Cooldown is honestly one of those deal breaker, never pick modifiers for me. It’s just not enjoyable to have that much downtime on very important call-ins.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

JonBolds posted:

Stratagem Cooldown is honestly one of those deal breaker, never pick modifiers for me. It’s just not enjoyable to have that much downtime on very important call-ins.

Especially when you're so crippled without them!

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 16, 2024

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

i think it's very normal to not consider official advertising material released by the developers to be considered leaks or worry about needing to spoiler tag the game's steam banner art because it has the flying bugs in it

show me the flying bugs psycho

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ijyt posted:

yeah he's the psycho

Lemme just open Google, enter "Helldivers 2 cover" and open up images...............

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 16, 2024

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

yeah he's the psycho

Lemme just open Google, enter "Helldivers 2 cover" and open up images...............

He's talking about the steam banner art, which is in the above post, please learn to read Hillary :)

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Is strategem cooldown bad? What are you guys needing so many strategems for are you blasting through your autocannon ammo too fast?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ijyt posted:

oh woops, looks like i was mixed up

i was actually thinking of the uncropped version of the image you see on the loading screen the first time you start the game. silly me! i added spoilers for you though :)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if there are any other planned things hinted at in various game art.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I just wonder why we don't have any missions where you have to carry the Super Earth flag and plant it somewhere like in the tutorial.

Some kind of king of the hill, last stand mission protecting the flag would be neat. We already have the defense missions, so it's not too much of a lift.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Captain Ironblood posted:

I just wonder why we don't have any missions where you have to carry the Super Earth flag and plant it somewhere like in the tutorial.

Some kind of king of the hill, last stand mission protecting the flag would be neat. We already have the defense missions, so it's not too much of a lift.

There are flag raising missions in the low difficulties. Trivial at least, maybe easy as well.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Flag should be a random map side objective too imo

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm sad they messed with the Orbital Laser.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

RandomBlue posted:

There are flag raising missions in the low difficulties. Trivial at least, maybe easy as well.

those are a telescoping flag pole that extend up out of a pod you call down, no carrying things around there

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Give me a Super Earth Flag that takes up your backpack spot. It doesn't even have to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Give me a Super Earth Flag that takes up your backpack spot. It doesn't even have to do anything.

You get more requisition but it makes you more visible to patrols.