Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

free hubcaps posted:

Isn't the issue with tiktok related to the fact that the Chinese government insists on having some sort of back end access to the app for security reasons?

There is zero evidence for the Chinese government having back end access to the app. Even the ex-employees who have testified the Chinese government has taken data were saying it was various one-time things. (Like "gimme every tiktok user in hong kong who talks about protests".)

I think you may be getting confused with Section 702, the law that gave the US government back-end access to all communication and allowed limitless mass surveillance of US citizens as long as the NSA could claim it was "incidental".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why the gently caress would they not have back-door access :confused:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Borscht posted:

We should trade. China unbans Google, Facebook, (not twitter), and craigslist and we keep ticktock
Google deliberately left because they were going to have their trade secrets stolen if they agreed to the usual 51-49 split with a party favourite.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Grand Fromage posted:

Apparently Grindr was also a Chinese company that was force-sold for similar reasons so this isn't even unprecedented if they do it.

I have never used Tiktok and never will so I firmly don't care other than finding it funny.

There's two sets of laws in play here and both go back to around WW1. To own a media company in the US, you must be a US citizen. Now, they argue that companies like Google or Tiktok aren't media companies because 1.they don't create their own content and 2. Being on the internet makes them "technology companies " instead of media companies.

The other law is a slate of national security divestment laws. This is what happened with Grndr. There is an entire organization, The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, that makes these determinations. Tiktok in this case just ignored the CFIUS and forced the issue to congress. This specifically requires that the company cannot be owned by a country on the foreign adversary list which includes China. Tiktok could be sold to any country in the EU or whatever with no issues.

In the past Tiktok has entered into data protection agreements with the US government to avoid divesture but they've been caught violating those agreements several times now.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Klyith posted:

There is zero evidence for the Chinese government having back end access to the app. Even the ex-employees who have testified the Chinese government has taken data were saying it was various one-time things. (Like "gimme every tiktok user in hong kong who talks about protests".)

I think you may be getting confused with Section 702, the law that gave the US government back-end access to all communication and allowed limitless mass surveillance of US citizens as long as the NSA could claim it was "incidental".

That isn't exactly a "one time thing", thats the govt using the app in a mass persecution campaign? And tiktok's claims that they wouldn't comply with government requests to turn over data are laughable.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Grand Fromage posted:

Apparently Grindr was also a Chinese company that was force-sold for similar reasons so this isn't even unprecedented if they do it.

I have never used Tiktok and never will so I firmly don't care other than finding it funny.

the "national security reasons" for Grindr were real (the fear that theyd out closeted U.S. government and military officials)

Silicon Valley was a documentary that was fictionalized to make it less sensationalistic and more plausible than reality

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

eSports Chaebol posted:

the "national security reasons" for Grindr were real (the fear that theyd out closeted U.S. government and military officials)

Silicon Valley was a documentary that was fictionalized to make it less sensationalistic and more plausible than reality

And again, grindr wasn't banned, only change was the bank accounts. "It's not national security when we do it"

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Eh, they just proved the platform's power as a tool of propaganda by telling their users the app was facing a ban and prompting users to enter their zip and provide them with their representatives' contact number.

It'll be interesting to see how the bill does in the senate. Trump has positioned himself against the bill as it appears one of his billionaire donors has a large financial stake.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

And again, grindr wasn't banned, only change was the bank accounts. "It's not national security when we do it"

And again, this isn't a bill to ban tiktok, but a divesture which is the exact same thing as grndr.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The junk collector posted:

And again, this isn't a bill to ban tiktok, but a divesture which is the exact same thing as grndr.

Which reveals the national security argument for the convenient alibi that it is. We agree?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Eh, they just proved the platform's power as a tool of propaganda by telling their users the app was facing a ban and prompting users to enter their zip and provide them with their representatives' contact number.

It'll be interesting to see how the bill does in the senate. Trump has positioned himself against the bill as it appears one of his billionaire donors has a large financial stake.

this completely solidified the house banning it, lol

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The primary news source of a huge chunk of the US' population being under the thumb of its increasingly explicit enemy is such a straightforwardly huge risk that I'm kind of baffled that trying to sever that link is even mildly controversial. Even if the PRC isn't tipping the scales already (and wasn't there a big thing that came out a few months back that seems to strongly imply they are?), this isn't the kind of thing we need dangling over our heads.

I don't think the data protection issue is even a blip in comparison really. China probably already has the data they could possibly want on each of us.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

If your objection to tiktok is being scared about americas news consumption, oh boy

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

my objection to tiktok is it sucks.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
they killed vine because gay and black people took it over and now theyre mad at the consequences

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If your objection to tiktok is being scared about americas news consumption, oh boy

Yes ownership of media by politically active billionaires also needs to be banned

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Strategic Tea posted:

Yes ownership of media by politically active billionaires also needs to be banned

Yes. It all sucks. It's dumb they're being weird about tiktok alone

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's pretty hypocritical for the CCP to demand backdoor access to tiktok and yet at the same time tiktok does not allow videos of backdoor access

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
suspect the Senate will stall the bill but TikTok will take the hint and begin steering Western market users to a narrower range of content; it was certainly going to do so anyway (it's still turning losses and needs TikTok Shop to get off the ground sooner rather than later, and what was good for rapid user growth is not necessarily good for promoting the purchase of goods and services. In particular TikTok wants more older users with more disposable income...)

both Europe and China (!) markets require platforms to offer non-tailored recommendations as an option and to be able to explain to users why some content is recommended over others in tailored feeds; it's not a novel concept

if it pulls it off it might even have the gumption to return to Hong Kong, too; that's when you'll know it's really neutered

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hong kong is dead as a place for chinese companies to escape chinese regulations, it's singapore and vancouver now

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Mozi posted:

it's pretty hypocritical for the CCP to demand backdoor access to tiktok and yet at the same time tiktok does not allow videos of backdoor access

This is my biggest issue

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

NoiseAnnoys posted:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

free hubcaps posted:

Isn't the issue with tiktok related to the fact that the Chinese government insists on having some sort of back end access to the app for security reasons?

I could be wrong but I think the fact teens use it to disagree with US policy plays very little role in the attempt to ban it.

I can’t speak to the former but yeah, what the teens using it think about politics actually doesn’t matter to Congress.

And, to be clear, this isn’t an attempt to ban it, it’s an attempt to make the company that owns it divest it. It only gets banned if they don’t

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yes. It all sucks. It's dumb they're being weird about tiktok alone

"Owned by China" vs. "Owned by the billionaire who's paying for my campaign" are both bad but congress is actually able to act on one of them :shrug:

Also lol at various Chinese mouthpieces calling the US paranoid xenophobes when not only is most US social media banned in China, Tiktok is banned in China.

I dunno if Gaza has anything to do with it. On the one hand this has been in the works for awhile, but on the other now is when they got around to it.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why the gently caress would they not have back-door access :confused:

When Tiktok/Bytedance execs insist that they haven't built in any backdoor access for the CCP, it is likely a) true and b) irrelevant

Because the CCP doesn't need backdoor access, they have frontdoor access. It's stipulated in Chinese cybersecurity law that tech companies grant the government unfettered access to user data, hire CCP officials to work at the highest levels of the company, and retain a 6-month backup of any data deleted by users.

They're also required to immediately inform the government of any known exploits or security holes, while banning them from sharing them with any other entity. Actually fixing them is less prioritized because all governments rely on undisclosed and unpatched exploits for cyber-espionage purposes.

The concern isn't that the CCP is going to see videos of every dipshit teen dance, it's that some of those teens will share a household with a parent who is a valuable target. And the Tiktok app collects a huge volume of data as it is, having info on every router that the daughter of a military official or scientist connects to and every wifi network they walk in the vicinity of can be a pretty big leg-up for targeted cyberespionage

Of course you can't expect congress to wrap their heads around that, so they worry about influence ops.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah neither the US nor PRC position on this is that complicated. "We want to spy on everyone foreign and domestic, while limiting our geopolitical rivals' ability to do the same".

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Yes but have considered the fact that GOVT IS TRYING TO BAN THE THING I LIKE?!? :byodood:

No I will not learn a single thing more than that unless it's force fed to me via Tik Tok's algorithmic filter.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
the fact that Apple was willing to have an extremely public PR pissing match when USG dusted off the All Writs Act for the FarookPhone, yet handed master iCloud keys to CCP without a second thought, really says everything you need to know about your individual rights in the two countries

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Shumagorath posted:

the fact that Apple was willing to have an extremely public PR pissing match when USG dusted off the All Writs Act for the FarookPhone, yet handed master iCloud keys to CCP without a second thought, really says everything you need to know about your individual rights in the two countrieswhere Apple execs are getting their money from

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

yes, that’s the problem. you really cracked the case

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Starting to think these CCP fellows aren't very nice.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

TrashMammal posted:

yes, that’s the problem. you really cracked the case

i mean, they're getting their money from apple stock, which would take a huge poo poo if apple got kicked out of half their market and their entire manufacturing base

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cactus Ghost posted:

i mean, they're getting their money from apple stock, which would take a huge poo poo if apple got kicked out of half their market and their entire manufacturing base

"you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack"
-you

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i stand by what i said

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean, it'd be pretty hard to sit down.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Before we debate it further, it's important to reiterate what a bottomless well of highly original quality unscripted content Tik Tok truly is.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7323636970205302059

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If nothing of any value is lost, or even something sucks rear end, then the means can be whatever, anything at all, to justify the ends

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
oh no I watched that :(

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

oh no I watched that :(

now you’re a ccp agent, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU