Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

While there may not be a story in the game, I just learned a story from playing the game.

Apparently the Perkeo joker is based on the court jester Perkeo of Heidelberg, who was a dwarf that reputedly drank 5-8 gallons of wine a day -- the name is a variation of "Perche no?" which was his response to being asked if he wanted another glass of wine. He was so known for his drinking that he was also put in charge of the castle's wine stocks.

According to legend, he lived into his eighties. He eventually fell ill and went to see a doctor who advised him to drink some water. He died the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Setec_Astronomy posted:

While there may not be a story in the game, I just learned a story from playing the game.

Apparently the Perkeo joker is based on the court jester Perkeo of Heidelberg, who was a dwarf that reputedly drank 5-8 gallons of wine a day -- the name is a variation of "Perche no?" which was his response to being asked if he wanted another glass of wine. He was so known for his drinking that he was also put in charge of the castle's wine stocks.

According to legend, he lived into his eighties. He eventually fell ill and went to see a doctor who advised him to drink some water. He died the next day.

I don’t think I would put a severe alcoholic in charge of the wine stock!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Setec_Astronomy posted:

I figured all of the legendaries are based off of famous jesters.

Here's the rest of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorick
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboulet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagliacci (Canio)

and Perkeo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkeo_of_Heidelberg

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Harold Fjord posted:

I really need an undo button because I'm the kind of fool who slam buys the voucher right before noticing the hermit for sale

If you close the game and re-open it (or just go to main menu), you'll erase anything you did in a shop thus far.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

If you open a pack, and close while in that screen, that may not necessarily reset the shop and just take you back to the pack screen. It seems inconsistent.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I swear one of these days I'm going to lose, then break out the hypergeometic calculator, see that I had a 99.899999999% chance to draw one of the sixteen aces left in my deck after using all my discards and throw-away hands, and uninstall.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What decks are good for reaching Ante 12 and 100,000,000 chips?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Finally broke into ante 12 with the anaglyph deck. I was saving up double tags to get the 400 dollar trophy and I didn't see it until ante 11. How many tags is it all the way up to the top of the screen?

But even with all of that I couldn't break 50 million, capped out at 49. I think if I found more of my red seal steel cards I coulda made it over 100,000,000.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

MJeff posted:

The plasma deck is probably the easiest for this. If you can make 20,000 mult, the deck will turn that into (10,000 chips x 10,000 mult) = 100,000,000 chips. You typically have to start your run by focusing on making chips however you can, then pivot to mult in the midgame once you have a viable x-mult strategy.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Funnily enough I got the 100mil achievement with Abandoned Deck. Because you start with 40 cards its way easier to target a specific card, and once I got a card with Steel + Red Seal going it was pretty easy to just repeatedly hit it with Death/DNA/Cryptid.

Pretty much no matter what you do though, its gonna be a little luck based. Getting to Ante 12 is hard!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the true final boss of balatro is finding a way to stop playing balatro constantly

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

MJeff posted:

I did it with ghost, having more spectrals that you can use selectively is pretty useful. But I agree Plasma is probably best, I just don't like the mechanics of it.

Reaching ante 12 isn't that hard, you can get it by just doing a normal deck really well and stacking a ton of xMult. But for 100 million you absolutely need to rely on steels or glass, preferrably with red stamps.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Not the Jokers I thought I'd be using to get past Purple stakes, but I'm happy to be free. Cloud 9 kept feeding Bull so I was regularly around 200 chips on that card, and of course Hologram was giving a tasty 6.5 X at the end.

Card Sharp got picked up right before the Ante 8 boss to replace a Ramen that I had worn down.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
People talking about characters and lore but I do wish the game had a bit more personality. I forgot jimbo existed after the tutorial. It’d be nice if the boss blinds had some jimbo-esque different douchebags slagging you off with each hand

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"Looks like The House always wins!"

"That's The Wall, brother!"

"A bag of Doritos has more chips than you!"

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Snooze Cruise posted:

the true final boss of balatro is finding a way to stop playing balatro constantly

hosed up that they put an unwinnable final boss.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

play it nonstop until you clear gold stake worked for me, burned out pretty hard doing that

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Elman posted:

I did it with ghost, having more spectrals that you can use selectively is pretty useful. But I agree Plasma is probably best, I just don't like the mechanics of it.

Reaching ante 12 isn't that hard, you can get it by just doing a normal deck really well and stacking a ton of xMult. But for 100 million you absolutely need to rely on steels or glass, preferrably with red stamps.

The way I ended up doing it was using Hack + Brainstorm to triple-trigger cloned glass 2s.

Retrigger effects in general can be super powerful, I've had runs where I got a Seltzer mid-run and started skipping aggressively so it would last all the way through the end.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Popete posted:

love this game but man, slamming my head against orange stakes and spamming restarts can be rough.

yeah it really takes out the fun from the game, thankfully the dev recognizes its a problem and is working to fix it

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there anyone that has issues with fullscreen/borderless removing the cursor icon but you can still select things ? Steam community has some good advice like turning off overlays like Nvidia/Gamebar/Discord ( :thumbsup:) to things like using another mouse (:what:) or plugging the mouse into another USB port with the last one actually confirmed by someone else (I think it was seen as a new device and generic drivers were installed)

Right now I am doing windows video mode and using Borderless Windows to expand the window to fullscreen.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

i love using the anaglyph deck to load up on negative jokers

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Just lost an attempt at Jokerless by a single card. If the final boss hadn't been Violet Vessel or I'd have drawn a single extra glass card from my deck I would have won.

:shepicide:
:sigh:

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 16, 2024

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I just absolutely crushed the “Fragile” challenge. I got a ton of mileage out of Gift Card and some other jokers that generate income, so by ante 3, I already had close to $100. From there, it was just fishing for planets and jokers with +mult or anything that facilitates playing high cards and pairs. I also skipped every blind in antes 6-8.

For shits and giggles, I ran it to ante 12 where I lost to The Hook. I learned that another way to lose is to completely run out of cards. Oops.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Expectation: 1 in 4 chance to upgrade played hand
Reality: 1 in 17 hands upgraded

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Expectation: 1 in 4 chance to upgrade played hand
Reality: zero hands upgraded

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Gotta combine Space Joker with Oops All Sixes and Blueprint. Then it’ll upgrade at least 1 hand.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Space Joker is always guaranteed to give you at least 1 upgrade, but only on the hand that loses the run.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Aggro posted:

Gotta combine Space Joker with Oops All Sixes and Blueprint. Then it’ll upgrade at least 1 hand.

It really is so sad compared to burnt joker.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Aggro posted:

Haelian had a crazy run with those and brainstorm. By the end, he has idol, 3x copies of blueprint brainstorm and the deck almost all one card.
https://youtu.be/n67dD4lPWFk?si=qfBYvw6srDHNfFJN

I don't find NL that pleasant to listen to, this guy is ok but a bit weird.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Too easy. I do that every time I lose to some bullshit.

Hmm, but what if I played again. Just once more.

Also people wanting a story just are admitting Inscryption broke their brains.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Space joker can be good on runs where you're just going to wind up spamming pair/high card, but you'd generally prefer to just have burnt joker.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

You ditch Green Joker (+20 mult) for Cavendish here, right?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

You ditch Green Joker (+20 mult) for Cavendish here, right?

I'd ditch the Chad, unless there's a special use for it I'm not seeing.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Snooze Cruise posted:

Unicorn Overlord cured me...for now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DaveWoo posted:

I'd ditch the Chad, unless there's a special use for it I'm not seeing.

It was double-triggering my 2s for Wee Joker. I wound up selling it too. Current state of the run:

Is this a good shop? :thunk:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lmao and then Blueprint shoed up a couple shops later.

What the gently caress do I copy with Blueprint?! Hack? Wee Joker? Canio?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

lmao and then Blueprint shoed up a couple shops later.

What the gently caress do I copy with Blueprint?! Hack? Wee Joker? Canio?

Hack when you have spare plays to spam 2s to run up Wee Joker, Canio when you actually need points (unless campfire is actually higher for some reason.)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

the holy poopacy posted:

Hack when you have spare plays to spam 2s to run up Wee Joker, Canio when you actually need points (unless campfire is actually higher for some reason.)

I have three red seal glass 2s, is it still Canio when I'm playing those and playing to win? Or is it Hack to get extra triggers on the glass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

I have three red seal glass 2s, is it still Canio when I'm playing those and playing to win? Or is it Hack to get extra triggers on the glass?

I don't believe Hack causes the red seal to trigger again, so copying Hack gives you an extra x8 in that case. Depends on if Canio beats that or not.