Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/15/04

Brenda Starr 10/30 - 11/1/52

Smokey Stover 5/15/60

Everyday Movies 5/5/37

"I won't be long, Violet. I'm just going down to the beauty parlor to have my hair done -- I haven't heard any gossip for a week."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/29 - 5/1/43

Closer Than We Think! 5/15/60

I suppose we're close to this in cities where CCTV is widely used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 5/15/60

I suppose we're close to this in cities where CCTV is widely used.
Don't forget automatic speed and stoplight ticketing

THORN, October 23-26, 1984

And now we finally have Smiley Bone! Here's what Jeff has to say about him not appearing until now:

quote:

Smiley Bone has been around almost as long as Fone Bone and Phoney. When I was ten years old and drawing Bone stories in note pads, Smiley was the third wheel in all their adventures. I introduced him now because I didn’t really have a new story beyond the political satire, and I was starting to lose interest. The palace intrigue, the Vizier? Where was this going? I hoped adding Smiley would put some juice back in the feature.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (March 19, 1977)

One of those occasional reminders that these strips looked a little different in black and white.

The syndicate recolorists are obviously figuring this out as they go. For the first Franklin strips they put his skin color over Sparky's original shading. Considering those Funky Winkerbean strips where someone tried coloring over the original halftone dots and made Funky look like he was having a stroke, it's not the worst solution in the world...as long as we can still get to the original somewhere.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (February 10-12, 1936)

Thimble Theater (October 19, 1940)

Out Our Way (April 3-5, 1944, spoiler because Ick's back)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 16, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

riderchop posted:

Zippy The Pinhead

Thought it looked familiar! This is the Miss Oxford Diner in Oxford, PA, between Philadelphia & Lancaster.

https://www.missoxforddiner.com/

It was closed for a while in the 1990s. Happy to report it's doing just fine!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Dun dun dunnnnn.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

And a new issue of Popcom

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

More Dr. Hormone! Right on!! :snoop: :420: :okpos:

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Karen is just bitching about how her husband won't wear all the nice shirts she gets him.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
drat Flash continues to impress!

I see Boltar's great great great great grandson needs some lesson in killing an enemy though.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

And as for that pesky little career, well, you won't be needing one of those anymore ;)

Gil Thorp

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Toni, you just peed on that. Get it off the kitchen table.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Comic Strips 2024: Just stand there and be wide

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

I like that vicious sneer :argh:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

This lady seems much happier with her very good boy than Opal does with her husband, so I have to assume it's sour straight grapes.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

OK, back to your regularly-scheduled not-describing-medical-procedures-firsthand comic.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Third panel's cool but that first panel :stare:

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

Laughed out loud at this one.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 7/24-26/52

7/24
7/25
7/26

Archie 11/9-11/49

The paper I get Archie from was running strips out of order, so the 11/12 strip appeared in yesterday's bunch.

Change your shirt.

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 4/17/77

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (October 18-20, 2005)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 08, 1962)

Fun fact, if you read The Song of Roland, you quickly realise that Roland sucks and it's his fault everyone dies.

My mum is very proud of her little bit of Basque heritage, and it amuses me to no end that in real life they're the ones who killed Roland (for entirely understandable reasons) and the chroniclers were just like "we'd rather claim it was the Saracens than admit it was those fuckers up in the hills."

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Has Jules never met a cat? That cat is his cat. It'll come home to get fed. Then you bring the cat inside and don't let it out again. It's not going to devastate the entire local bird population in one afternoon.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Are we gearing up to this guy falling down and breaking something else in the middle of the convention?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Are we gearing up to this guy falling down and breaking something else in the middle of the convention?

He's going to get stuck on the shitter.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Green Intern posted:

We should be so lucky. We're gearing up to him being unable to get up off the toilet for a month.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

attacked by a crazed fan who thinks the boot is part of an elaborate kayfabe

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 17, 1910)

Baron Bean(March 18, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(February 17, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(November 8, 1919)

Us Boys(March 16, 1912)

The Gumps(April 14, 1917)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Green Intern posted:

Remember the last plot line with those two had one falling victim to an old person malady - then the other one doing the same thing.

The lady probably slipped and broke her hip in the food court and we'll spend a week listening to them compare and contrast their his and hers motorized recliners.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

you're the dog now, man

Hit Him In The Dick

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Selachian posted:

Archie 11/9-11/49

So... canonically, Jughead has a massive, Memento-style chest tattoo in backwards calligraphy?

This needs to be addressed.

Hippocrass posted:

Gasoline Alley(November 8, 1919)

This is a good gag and made me smile.

(I normally scroll past the ancient American comic strips because too often the old-timey ho-down gurpity-doo th' shucks n' fer gol' wal goober-berries — chee! — banter is nigh incomprehensible to me, especially when written in eye dialect. Sometimes I put the effort in but the humour is rarely worth it.)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

(I normally scroll past the ancient American comic strips because too often the old-timey ho-down gurpity-doo th' shucks n' fer gol' wal goober-berries — chee! — banter is nigh incomprehensible to me, especially when written in eye dialect. Sometimes I put the effort in but the humour is rarely worth it.)

I deeply appreciate Hippocrass's historical comics post, but I have to admit that the only ones I consistently read are Polly and her Pals and The Gumps, plus occasionally Gasoline Alley when it seems more comprehensible to someone like me who knows jack poo poo about cars. Which, thinking about it, are the ones that don't have too much eye dialect in them, plus aren't the most densely packed compared to some others.

I don't mind a bit of eye dialect, but I think I prefer it used with a bit of restraint.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the less comprehensible, the better, i say. love that window into a completely unrecognizable past

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Crushinski is going to get surprised by Sting descending from the rafters.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Doomykins posted:

Wow! What lovely friends and people!

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

catlord posted:

I deeply appreciate Hippocrass's historical comics post

Oh, same, to be clear! I think there's value in it and I'm glad that stuff gets posted. It's just 'not for me', most of the time. Occasionally I'm in the right mindset and have the time to slow down and take some of it in. It's interesting, at the very least.

I also appreciate Selachian giving me the chance to read Pogo, even if I choose not to more often than not, just because so many cartoonists I admire have named it as a favourite — to say nothing of the fact that They Might Be Giants have done a couple of low-key cover versions of Pogo songs over the years. I was always curious about it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Oh, same, to be clear! I think there's value in it and I'm glad that stuff gets posted. It's just 'not for me', most of the time. Occasionally I'm in the right mindset and have the time to slow down and take some of it in. It's interesting, at the very least.

I also appreciate Selachian giving me the chance to read Pogo, even if I choose not to more often than not, just because so many cartoonists I admire have named it as a favourite — to say nothing of the fact that They Might Be Giants have done a couple of low-key cover versions of Pogo songs over the years. I was always curious about it.

Hard agree to both. I have trouble with Pogo, but when I can get into it, it's so good. Also, I didn't know about those TMBG songs, that's cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWtPu_gFrvU

Running Around With Some Bunny Of A Girl