Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Cuttlefush posted:

ok, get this. sherman hull. abrams turret.

and also it's tumblehome'd. and it's stealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Wasn't the 17lber in the Sherman Firefly like mounted sideways or something in the turret?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Minenfeld! posted:

Wasn't the 17lber in the Sherman Firefly like mounted sideways or something in the turret?

the recoil system was changed and the breech was sideways. the funnier thing is that one design iteration just had the gun locked right in with no recoil system

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
When you get into guns mounted on things like planes, the troth they sit in are generally made of amalgam metals (alloys), for heat distribution, it's preferable to use Inconel than Titanium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inconel

The F35B variants gun troth is Inconel.

HouseofSuren has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Mar 17, 2024

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

In war thunder the projectiles are so fast they bug out the hit detection/mouse control because the server can't catch up

Always hilarious to see the X-ray on hit and it's just a telephone pole going straight through and out the other side

Griz
May 21, 2001

Z the IVth posted:

Didn't the US have a bunch of tank destroyers that had open top turrets?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M18_Hellcat?useskin=vector

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Z the IVth posted:

Didn't the US have a bunch of tank destroyers that had open top turrets?

The Germans and the Soviets built vehicles that had these armored chassis, with a gun in it, on a casemate, no turret. The original reason was doctrinal: if the infantry needed to shoot a gun at a hard, immobile target, then you didn't need a tank with a turret to do that job, a mobile gun would do just fine. For this reason, the Germans called these vehicles "assault guns", or Sturmgeshutz.

Their later development also played into economic needs: it was cheaper and faster to slap a turret-less gun on a chassis, than having to design a build a turret to hold that gun. As well, you could fit much larger guns on a vehicle this way, than having to design a turret to accommodate it. Not only would the availability of bigger guns be useful in trying to hit and destroy tanks, when you're playing defense, the lack of a turret doesn't matter that much, since you should already know which direction the attack is coming from, and can emplace yourself appropriately. For this reason, these vehicles are considered "tank destroyers" in the broad sense of the phrase.

The Americans wanted to build vehicles, which weren't tanks per se, but were designed to fight tanks. Leslie McNair, who pioneered this concept, figured that if the US Army ever had to deal with a "blitzkrieg-style" offensive, they'd need something with speed, and with the flexibility of having a turret. The idea was that they could use their agility and their defensive positioning to get the first shots in, and so they could forego the armor. Losing the armor also meant being able to keep a high rate of advance, which they would need when responding to 500 German tanks pouring through a gap in the line. This is why American tank destroyers such as the M10 and the M18 are so different: they have a turret mounted on a chassis, like a tank, and unlike an "assault gun", but turrets are open-topped, and the vehicles have very little armor.

But all of these are considered tank destroyers.

The "joke" in the post I made was a hypothetical model of what an American "assault gun" would look like, as in a gun in a casemate, put in a Sherman chassis.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

and, as you know from Stopping the Panzers, the M10s were wildly successful and popular in Commonwealth service, where they were used as, well, self-propelled guns. Commonwealth M10s ran up the scoreboard in Normandy and Italy because they were given to artillery anti-tank units and used as powerful anti-tank guns that could reposition effectively, rather than as... whatever the hell tank destroyers were supposed to do.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
Remember when they were sending Leopards to Ukraine, and before that Turkey's Leopards were soaring through the air in northern Syria.

Never seen a vehicle just crumple in actual battle the way that thing did.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

and, as you know from Stopping the Panzers, the M10s were wildly successful and popular in Commonwealth service, where they were used as, well, self-propelled guns. Commonwealth M10s ran up the scoreboard in Normandy and Italy because they were given to artillery anti-tank units and used as powerful anti-tank guns that could reposition effectively, rather than as... whatever the hell tank destroyers were supposed to do.

US tank destroyer doctrine was designed to counter the Germans' armored spearheads. You get a lot of tank destroyers, you mass them together, and then you keep them in reserve for when the German armored spearhead breaks through your front line. The US used tank destroyers doctrinally exactly once, in the battle of El Guettar.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Apr 3, 2024

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
the soviets simply let the armored spearheads drive through their minefields

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

BearsBearsBears posted:

The US used tank destroyers doctrinally exactly once, in the battle of El Guettar.

How'd it work out?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

and also it's tumblehome'd. and it's stealth

Stealth paint on a t34 fulfills this brief

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
F-35 stealth paint on a Roman chariot, towing a rhinemetal smoothbore.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

M3 Lee purity, Sherman tank parts.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

Sorry my joke was poorly thought out and I need to issue a clarification:

The Roman chariot would of course be pulled along by a Boston Dynamics robot horse, painted in digicam, with an NSN number stencilled on it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DancingShade posted:

fallout 6 looking pretty good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

US tank destroyer doctrine was designed to counter the Germans' armored spearheads. You get a lot of tank destroyers, you mass the, together, and then you keep them in reserve for when the German armored spearhead breaks through your front line. The US used tank destroyers doctrinally exactly once, in the battle of El Guettar.

I think FF's point was that the Anglo-Canadians made better use of the American-style TDs because they ignored American doctrine.

For better or worse, there was never any blitzkrieg in the battles from Torch onwards. The TDs were supposed to respond to the problem of entire Panzer divisions breaking into operational space, which didn't really happen - whatever such success the Germans had in armored punches were often limited to the tactical scale save perhaps Wacht Am Rhein.

So the TDs were left without their raison d'etre ever materializing (and especially with the bizarre decision to convert TD units to use towed guns right before Overlord). In this context, the Americans did use TDs as direct fire support units, but mostly out of a lack of anything better to do, and their handling in this respect was haphazard at best.

In contrast, the Anglos used them in this role, or as direct anti-tank defense, from the get-go, and were more successful as a result.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Plus the second you started having companies and battalions of motor gun carriages deployed, it did not take a genius to realize that it could better serve as an assault gun supporting infantry or fire indirect HE rounds or helping consolidate gains from counterattacks, so US forces started doing that quickly, with Guettar being an early war exception (it worked in that case, but Europe’s terrain != North Africa, especially when attacking dug in defenses).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Sorry my joke was poorly thought out and I need to issue a clarification:

The Roman chariot would of course be pulled along by a Boston Dynamics robot horse, painted in digicam, with an NSN number stencilled on it.

One of the British artillery regiments still trains with horse drawn cannon IIRC. Mainly ceremonial I but I guess they can do a spot of 40k LARPing in a pinch.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Z the IVth posted:

One of the British artillery regiments still trains with horse drawn cannon IIRC. Mainly ceremonial I but I guess they can do a spot of 40k LARPing in a pinch.

Maybe they compete at the International Military Mounted Invitational, which is a real thing for all the horsey teams.

The US also maintains some small number of flying artillery demonstration / heritage teams.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
and canada has ff

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Cuttlefush posted:

and canada has ff

"Be part of a ceremonial royal horse artillery team" has got to be in his top 3, right beside "be austro-hungarian" and "be in charge of a soviet artillery regiment"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

D-Pad posted:

How'd it [TDs at El Guettar] work out?

from Harry Yeide's "The Tank Killers":

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Z the IVth posted:

it was a problem during the interwar period to get British artillery units to accept motorization because the care and feeding of the horses used to haul guns around consumed so effort that artillery officers were more concerned about such veterinary affairs than anything else.

this was called "The Swingletree Factor" - an inability of the men to see beyond "the point of attachment of the traces connecting the team of horses to the gun limber"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

"Be part of a ceremonial royal horse artillery team" has got to be in his top 3, right beside "be austro-hungarian" and "be in charge of a soviet artillery regiment"

Instead he has Cato wife lmao

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Z the IVth posted:

Kings Troop, RHA. QF 13 Pounders.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 12:28 on Mar 17, 2024

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The US is getting kicked out of Niger following Frances almost immediate exit after the coup. The US sent a delegation unannounced to the government, told them that they couldn’t ally with Russia or Iran on security deals / equipment and were promptly told to get the gently caress out

Niger is saying that the agreement was unfair and they need real allies to fight terrorists (that the us props up as an excuse to have bases in Africa and the Middle East)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1769335405147512861

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
cool hegemony you've got going on when some of the poorest countries in the world feel totally fine with telling you to gently caress off

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hey Iraq, take a lesson from Niger. The US is a paper tiger with all their equipment rusting away and political paralysis that prevents meaningful reform to fix the issues. You can just tell the US to gently caress off and they’ll cry about how the relationship is strategically important to fight ISIS or Alqaeda or whatever but you know the game. They are just there as a check on Iran, Russia and China and the US is the one funding these groups

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

goddd that's so embarrassing, even the voice over is American

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hey Iraq, take a lesson from Niger. The US is a paper tiger with all their equipment rusting away and political paralysis that prevents meaningful reform to fix the issues. You can just tell the US to gently caress off and they’ll cry about how the relationship is strategically important to fight ISIS or Alqaeda or whatever but you know the game. They are just there as a check on Iran, Russia and China and the US is the one funding these groups

tbf the US will also spend 10 years reducing your country to rubble for no reason but that seems tied more to presidents' personal grudges than anything, so telling them to gently caress off probably won't make that happen one way or another

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Cao Ni Ma posted:

us getting kicked out of niger is very ftw

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

from Harry Yeide's "The Tank Killers":

This is cool, thanks!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yinlock posted:

tbf the US will also spend 10 years reducing your country to rubble for no reason but that seems tied more to presidents' personal grudges than anything, so telling them to gently caress off probably won't make that happen one way or another
Yes but US does that to every country that's friendly or not.

It's pointless to waste time thinking about what the mindless beast will do since it's not governed by reason or is even capable of thought.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
idk, I feel like the US cares way more about the middle east than Africa.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Africa_Command

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Was gonna say its called Africom not MiddleEastcom