Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah those are just territorial purchase historical maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’ve found Garland sus for a long while now, but he struck me more as a pretentious git than as a complete moron.

I have zero enthusiasm for the movie, but I’m willing to hope that he’s using the old American definition of “Right and Left” meaning, like, Red Team / Blue Team. That’s still stupid, but it’s a different, cynical kind of stupid.

Yeah, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Dredd, Ex Machina, and Annihilation are all so good. It's hard to see him fall after all that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pinterest Mom posted:

lmao is that the Louisiana Purchase

As a dumb American I must admit a certain relief/terror knowing everyone else is just as stupid.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It was posted earlier in the thread that it makes a certain sense if they're going with the idea of America just regular crumbling or going "fascist" in the sense of just being evil and pissing everyone off, which it sounds like. California and Texas throw in together because you gotta knock down the king before you can split things up later.

But yeah, insanely dumb sounding and not sure why you'd even do a civil war movie if you didn't want to explore the politics of it. You could have just done any war or left it even more vague/abstract. I guess it could be a cool looking/edited movie but man is it bad when loving Bushwick has better thought out politics.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 17, 2024

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

But yeah, insanely dumb sounding and not sure why you'd even do a civil war movie if you didn't want to explore the politics of it. You could have just done any war or left it even more vague/abstract.

Hell, a vague one sounds like a better angle for making it frightening. Major networks are offline, perhaps your region has had cables cut to it and you're not sure who's friend or foe based on the last things you hear. Which way do you go, do you hunker down? Can you trust anyone in town who claims to have a line to the outside world or is this a power grab? A lot of uncertainty seems like the kind of thing that he'd work really well with for tension, and yet...

Instead he started from one of the dumbest possible points and every elaboration has only made it seem even sillier.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Oh, yeah, Jericho was a let's say uneven show, but that was a really cool thing it started off with in the first season. The viewer has a little more knowledge thanks to one character, but nobody else really has any idea what's going on after half of the country gets nuked. Other than occasional signs of life that some of the government made it.

About halfway through the first season they find out about and send a group of traders off to a Fallout-style Barter Town that was set up on a fairgrounds. The fairgrounds have an info board where people pin rumors and news that they've picked up. They find out that there are 5 separate presidents and other claimants ranging from governors of big states to the 95th senator who's technically the guy in the chain of command who was supposed to be president to generals who think it should be a military government for a little bit. With a caveat that some of this could be outdated or bullshit.

They pretty quickly shake it down to East vs. West with an independent Texas choosing to wait and see, but it was a cool idea.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Oh, yeah, Jericho was a let's say uneven show, but that was a really cool thing it started off with in the first season. The viewer has a little more knowledge thanks to one character, but nobody else really has any idea what's going on after half of the country gets nuked. Other than occasional signs of life that some of the government made it.

About halfway through the first season they find out about and send a group of traders off to a Fallout-style Barter Town that was set up on a fairgrounds. The fairgrounds have an info board where people pin rumors and news that they've picked up. They find out that there are 5 separate presidents and other claimants ranging from governors of big states to the 95th senator who's technically the guy in the chain of command who was supposed to be president to generals who think it should be a military government for a little bit. With a caveat that some of this could be outdated or bullshit.

They pretty quickly shake it down to East vs. West with an independent Texas choosing to wait and see, but it was a cool idea.
Jericho Season 1 was so good. Season 2 wasn't bad but it didn't keep that same feeling of these people being completely disconnected from everything going on.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

knowing absolutely nothing about jericho it sounds more considered than alex garland's civil war movie

i liked ex machina and annihilation as aesthetic pieces that i did not think about very much, and when i heard about men i assumed he did not have the writing chops to pull off that kind of social commentary and didn't bother. civil war sounds like more of the same in that regard.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Men is the absolute nadir of this dumbass “elevated horror” trend that A24 and Blumhouse ushered in, just an absolutely miserable, dreadful film

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The concept for Civil War is very similar to the Vertigo comic series DMZ, which was about a war reporter who goes into NYC, which is a no-man's land between two warring sides of a new civil war. It apparently got some kind of lovely Hulu miniseries that had little to no connection to the actual source material a couple of years ago.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

The concept for Civil War is very similar to the Vertigo comic series DMZ, which was about a war reporter who goes into NYC, which is a no-man's land between two warring sides of a new civil war. It apparently got some kind of lovely Hulu miniseries that had little to no connection to the actual source material a couple of years ago.

Creator of the comic agrees
https://twitter.com/brianwood/status/1734946793941574047?t=pN-LYrih-QuJZEuWkULYxA&s=19

It was on HBO and it seems that they were more interested in putting their bets on The Last of Us a year later.

Brian Wood is, as I recall, not a good person, but the comic was decent, especially standalone stories from the city.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Civil War should have been a comedy but probably so should have Men

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Men is the absolute nadir of this dumbass “elevated horror” trend that A24 and Blumhouse ushered in, just an absolutely miserable, dreadful film

Elevated horror, but featuring a haunted skyscraper and an elevator ride.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My impression about Garland has long been that he’s just really a lot dumber than he thinks he is. His movies introduce ideas but then they seem to fail to say anything interesting or clear about them. They just go the dumb route but there’s an air of arrogance like something very deep was said. And that politics quote certainly supports that idea.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah those are just territorial purchase historical maps

They don't teach ANYTHING in schools anymore.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Thats literally just "when territory was added to the US"

lmao at the Gadsden Purchase being a discrete identity.

Edit should have refreshed

LocalMews
Mar 15, 2024
So is the new thread ready yet? I mean we are past Oscar Season so it should be appropriate to start a new thread.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wow you made it 2.5 days this time, congrats

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Baron, he’s keeping the lights on! :salute:

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Even if this is just garland saying both-sidesism stuff to try to juice ticket sales, the whole point of releasing a movie like this during an election year is to profit off of anxious doomscrollers, so lol that their marketing strategy is "politics doesn't matter so much you should stop worrying about it"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The reviews I've read seem to confirm that its politics are dumb as rocks. It sounds like it's going after a "after the fighting is over and the smoke clears, does anyone even remember what we were fighting over?"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sounds dumb as gently caress

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

feedmyleg posted:

The reviews I've read seem to confirm that its politics are dumb as rocks. It sounds like it's going after a "after the fighting is over and the smoke clears, does anyone even remember what we were fighting over?"

So, yet another useless hand-wringing shitlib then?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You guys are all really mad about a movie you haven’t seen

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Vegetable posted:

I'm not mad or anything, I saw the trailer before Dunc 2 and thought it was crass and, for reasons that do not seem readily apparent, aping Zombieland.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Turns out the cause of the civil war was people arguing about Civil War

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Alex Garland is good at building mood, and mood can be enough to save a mid movie. Civil War might not be a theatre experience for me, but I expect I'll enjoy it on streaming.

Also, looking into it is how I found out Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons are married. Good for them.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vegetable posted:

This poo poo is so loving lame. People watched the trailers and are like “man this looks like it sucks.” This isn’t even in like, the top fifty angriest incidents I’ve seen in CineD.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Post da list

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Everything I hear about it makes me think of Ed the Sock ripping into a Greenday music video where he said the theme was “War is Bad” and that’s a really loving lame “take” because it’s safe and doesn’t piss off The Money.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also it's just kind of funny. Or at least I think it's funny. Like, from the trailers and interviews, it's a "controversial" movie pitch that should either go abstract as hell or dig deep into a message. And instead from what I've seen it's basically "So President Evil wins and he's like 'Lol, I'm evil y'all' and he bans all the FBI so they can't even arrest him and makes the police illegal and outlaws superman and now he's mad with power and Texas and California both join up to stop him because he's so evil." Ignoring all the actual politics...hell, a lot of the country would be pretty down with banning the FBI.

Which, if it was a fun dumb movie I might be down for, but it's by the guy who likes to make more serious movies so it's funny. The setup is lagging behind a movie where a wrestler throws President Evil out of the Oval Office and yells "You've just been impeached!"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Given the surprisingly positive reviews from SXSW I have to wonder if the movie is being done no favors by A24's marketing strategy of "WITNESS THE BRILLIANT WORLDBUILDING OF ALEX GARLAND" and it's not actually very important in the film itself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Never make a new thread, 2023 is forever.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its 2023 somewhere

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My brain won't fully register that it's 2024 until may at the earliest.

So I'm cool with the old thread for now

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Revive the 2020 thread just to make that weirdo even angrier

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's funny that they haven't even bothered perma-ing the last account, they're just gonna keep rereging anyway.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

At this point this thread is profit-generating for SA so I would suggest not changing a thing about it

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Vegetable posted:

There are some seriously thin skinned :freep: replys all over the forums regarding this movie.

How dare he!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

My impression about Garland has long been that he’s just really a lot dumber than he thinks he is. His movies introduce ideas but then they seem to fail to say anything interesting or clear about them. They just go the dumb route but there’s an air of arrogance like something very deep was said. And that politics quote certainly supports that idea.

Same here. Ex Machina was the first act of a better story carried by outstanding performances.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The comic fuckin' sucked too.

Actually, that's inaccurate. Everything up to the end of the election arc is good. I've never been more sure that a writer didn't plan his work past a certain point than everything after that. It was twisting in the wind for so long, ending with absolute wank where it all comes down to his super important and special main character who ends the war because he writes so well and then sacrifices himself by getting guantanmoed It's a weirdly messianic ending for a character who was never built that way and I remember being mad about it for a good week.