Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Am I just imagining things or didn't Burrow have nearly as much hype as Trevor?

Nah, he didn’t. I remember articles pondering whether the Bengals should take Young over Burrow. Being a one year wonder without elite physical tools kept him from reaching that tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I feel like you can group the #1 overall QBs in three tiers:

- Generational "can't miss" guys
- Consensus guys
- Lack of consensus guys

There was a consensus that Burrow was the #1 pick/QB so he makes the second tier, but I don't remember many people calling him a generational talent. That's a bit of hyperbole that draft experts still tend to hold back on from what I can tell.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sataere posted:

I get that I'm in the minority on seeing this, but it just kept showing up to me. So many of his big plays downfield feel like broken plays. A lot of the closer ones, I just hate his ball placement. I suspect cleaning up his mechanics and not having a dogshit line will help with some of this.

I think JJM has similar issues with his deep ball, but he isn't the athletic specimen that Maye is supposed to be.

Also, Maye has a slightly better grade than I gave Stroud last year, who was my favorite quarterback in that class and who I was screaming was being underrated. My disappointment in Maye is probably more that I expected to rank him closer to Caleb and it just didn't happen. :v:

Maye's deepball accuracy is great tho?

Maye's major problem accuracy wise is throwing to his right for some weird reason.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Nah, he didn’t. I remember articles pondering whether the Bengals should take Young over Burrow. Being a one year wonder without elite physical tools kept him from reaching that tier.

Yeah Burrow was a huge 1 year wonder player, that played with a all timer WR in Jamarr chase.

His 1 year wonder was at least his second year in the league though, unlike some QB's in this draft who had his breakout heisman year when he played with elite 2 first round pick WR's after a rather middling 4 seasons previously.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 17, 2024

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Burrow was more of a one hit wonder, which kept him from being in that generational tier. Granted, that one hit was the greatest college football season ever.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I also remember there being Burrow vs Tua debate before Tua got injured.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Maye's major problem accuracy wise is throwing to his right for some weird reason.

That is probably what I'm seeing. I don't really focus on side being thrown when I'm watching. Just good or not good.

quote:

Yeah Burrow was a huge 1 year wonder player, that played with a all timer WR in Jamarr chase.

His 1 year wonder was at least his second year in the league though, unlike some QB's in this draft who had his breakout heisman year when he played with elite 2 first round pick WR's after a rather middling 4 seasons previously.

And Justin Jefferson. In hindsight, we really should've seen CEH bust status coming.

Also if Nabers falls to nine and the Bears pass, I will never forgive Poles.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SKULL.GIF posted:

A current 6th is worth about 1.25% of the #11 pick, I'd say a future 6th is probably half of that?

I wasn't really looking to judge it vs the value of the Vikings pick just making fun of the guy that said Fields was worth a first, but thank you all the same

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

surf rock posted:

I also remember there being Burrow vs Tua debate before Tua got injured.

Yeah. Heck, Bama would have beaten LSU if tua wasn't hurt - that first drive he dropped the ball out of nowhere for a fumble because of the ankle pain he was playing with

Meanwhile Trevor Lawrence absolutely torched Bama as a freshman, then declined a bit after that, but everyone was just salivating over him the whole time

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

IcePhoenix posted:

I wasn't really looking to judge it vs the value of the Vikings pick just making fun of the guy that said Fields was worth a first, but thank you all the same

Fields was the #11 pick which is why I used that specific number.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

I will continue to cheer for Justin Fields and I'm glad that he went to a perennially winning franchise where he could actually compete for a starting spot. I believe Justin can be great, but he clearly needs work the Bears were unable to provide. Hopefully Tomlin and the Canada-less Steelers can give Justin the rebound he deserves.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

trevorreznik posted:

Yeah. Heck, Bama would have beaten LSU if tua wasn't hurt - that first drive he dropped the ball out of nowhere for a fumble because of the ankle pain he was playing with

It was 3rd and goal and he wasn’t going to make it to the endzone, it was a 3 point swing at worst and LSU end up with a 20 point lead at halftime. He dropped the ball trying to move it to his other hand, it’s not like he cried out in pain and fell over holding his lower leg.

In conclusion Bama was always going to lose because they were not a team of destiny, LSU was.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SKULL.GIF posted:

Fields was the #11 pick which is why I used that specific number.

oh that's a fun coincidence then

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It was 3rd and goal and he wasn’t going to make it to the endzone, it was a 3 point swing at worst and LSU end up with a 20 point lead at halftime. He dropped the ball trying to move it to his other hand, it’s not like he cried out in pain and fell over holding his lower leg.

In conclusion Bama was always going to lose because they were not a team of destiny, LSU was.

Don't bring all these facts in here, football is a game of Momentum and Emotion

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/JaquanBrisker/status/1769171896031920202?t=uZjP2DpLpzGZvGsCh_oPmg&s=19

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

trevorreznik posted:

Don't bring all these facts in here, football is a game of Momentum and Emotion

The momentum and emotion of LSU being the team of destiny overcame such things like the opposing team about to score

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Sataere posted:

Also if Nabers falls to nine and the Bears pass, I will never forgive Poles.

They need to take a top OT like Fashanu or Fuaga so Caleb isn't running for his life all game

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

JF1 is an above average talent who had below average production, for the most part due to a subpar supporting cast (coaching included), and when the supporting cast improved his flaws became magnified. I truly hope his flaws are coached out in the Steel City.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I will never believe again.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 17, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Edible just kicked in and my idle thoughts just hit me a vision of an unfortunately decently likely, Cursed but very funny future.

There is like a decently high chance, that in the near future, the Bears get a significantly better trade return for Tyson Bagent than they just did for Fields

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Dexo posted:

Edible just kicked in and my idle thoughts just hit me a vision of an unfortunately decently likely, Cursed but very funny future.

There is like a decently high chance, that in the near future, the Bears get a significantly better trade return for Tyson Bagent than they just did for Fields

Yes, but thats because he doesnt have a 25 million dollar anchor on him.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

think it might be time to be done with the nfl

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

think it might be time to be done with the nfl

You don’t need football, you have Boo Buie.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CharlestheHammer posted:

The position is irrelevant if your coaches suck at developing QBs

They're already loving his development and he hasn't even been drafted.

Niwrad posted:

Better offensive line and Bruce Arians. I think they drafted TY that year too. Reggie Wayne was also really loving good.
Offensive line is preeeeeettttttyyyyyy important

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
De'Vondre Campbell unloading on Joe Barry and the Packers D coaching, you just love to see it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good Will Hrunting posted:

De'Vondre Campbell unloading on Joe Barry and the Packers D coaching, you just love to see it

For people who aren't hooked into Xitter:

Pretty clearly taking shots at Barry here. His previous tweets also say he was massively mis-used and that he spent most snaps trying to get other players on the correct assignments.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

justin fields

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I would bet money on the Packers defense improving next year to somewhere in the #8-#16 DVOA range and the Packers offense having a sophomore slump until midway through the season. I can picture it so clearly.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

HootTheOwl posted:

They're already loving his development and he hasn't even been drafted.

How?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

surf rock posted:

I would bet money on the Packers defense improving next year to somewhere in the #8-#16 DVOA range and the Packers offense having a sophomore slump until midway through the season. I can picture it so clearly.

It will be worth it but this thread will go places if that happens

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

They are drafting him

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

By making him play day one
By strapping him to a lame duck staff

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

There is no point trying to talk with doomers.

It's just a brick wall of cynicism.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

There is no point trying to talk with doomers.

It's just a brick wall of cynicism.

And yet I can't stop engaging lol.

It really is hard not to get excited for the future. I'm with you in thinking Flus is not the lame duck coach everyone is making him out to be.

This is going to be the best position a rookie quarterback has ever gone into and that quarterback is fantastically good. We have a top five receiving core and our third best receiving option being Kmet is just fire.

They are so loving primed

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Williams is going to have an insane amount of pressure on him and rookie quarterbacks with very rare exceptions struggle.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
He's going to set the record for NFL rookie season passing yards, TDs and wins

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

if caleb william is truly Him than it probably doesn't matter. The jaguars gave Trevor Lawrence the literal worst coach we've ever seen in the NFL and he was fine. You can critique Flus for sure but like... he's not loving Urbz.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Eberflus doesn't matter here, Shane Waldron does.

Eberflus's job isn't in danger if the team is better than last year, and, this may be crazy, but I think it will be better! Because the roster is better!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Trevor is a bad QB that people pretend is good

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

R.D. Mangles posted:

Williams is going to have an insane amount of pressure on him and rookie quarterbacks with very rare exceptions struggle.

Part of the reason rookie quarterbacks struggle is because they inevitably end up on very bad teams. It is why mid round rookies always seem to flash. They are on better teams.

Williams is going to have a ton of pressure, but he's been a top prospect since high school. It isn't like it is something new.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Trevor is a bad QB that people pretend is good

:lol:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
This is a fun article:

https://twitter.com/erikschlitt/status/1769423596198257060?t=uRNKj-YTp06tSmBKzl3pMQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

You are my enemy now.