Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

Just have some human overhear the guards say "whoever controls Halo controls the fate of the universe."

May your energy sword chip and shatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I'm just butt hurt they haven't explained the Spartan III augment process, yet. The armor is super cool, though. It will be fun to see people cosplay that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Glad it's not just me confused about a bunch of stuff. Went back and rewatched the previous episode and start of the latest one just in case there were answers there.

Nope.

So we have:

- how did the Covenant find the Halo system
- how did they get there before Makee and the Arbiter
- how does everyone suddenly know the Halo will "end everything" for humanity if they don't get there first
- if "compressing" a Covenant fusion drive will destroy an entire solar system, why not just launch a reactor into a human system?

Nazzadan posted:

This also made no sense to me so I looked it up because I assumed (correctly) that the wiki would be updated with info from this episode and this is what I found on the First Fleet of Solemn Accord's page:

After the Fall of Reach, fleet was dispatched to hunt down 'Gatanai and Makee after they had gone rogue from the Covenant. They met the Arbiter’s Ceudar-pattern heavy corvette after it had exited slipspace in the Soell system.

Which uuuh doesn't feel like what happened in the show?

Edit: wait the wording on that doesn't even imply that the Arbiter got their first, it could easily be interpreted as what we are thinking in that the fleet got there first and is just waiting lol

Yeah, that stuff on the wiki is definitely not what we saw on screen.

EDIT: Also, is there any loving point to the Weekly Adventures of Soren?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Unlike other Halo shows this one is about the characters.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 16, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Kwan went to join a good story line, and there was a contractual obligation for there to be a nothing story line that goes nowhere. Soren took one for the team.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I know Chief's suit probably opens and close like an Iron Man suit, but I like to think he needs the help of a squire like the knights of yore

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
After Chief shows up in the suit, all the blood had been washed off his face and neck from the earlier fight with Kai.

Now i’m just imagining Chief standing in a UNSC bathroom with damp paper towels, dabbing away blood, as other people come and go.

Rando Spartan-III: “Hey Chief. What’s up? Thought you were dead.”

Chief: “I got better.”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got around to watching the last two episodes

They didn't ever actually say in the show what Halos do right, everyone just assumed it's a weapon?

Also it's cool that the armory is just the Pillar of Autumn's from Halo 1 and also they definitely just released the Flood everywhere lol. Also it's weird that Soren's plot did a 180

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 16, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If the fact that the Halo is forerunner tech is enough to make it the only thing that matters in the war, then why has Hasley been poking around with this Forerunner door that just happens to be directly underneath her child soldier brainwashing blacksite for decades without trying to blow it open, or at least scanning to have any idea that there is an entire forerunner city on the other side.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

If the fact that the Halo is forerunner tech is enough to make it the only thing that matters in the war, then why has Hasley been poking around with this Forerunner door that just happens to be directly underneath her child soldier brainwashing blacksite for decades without trying to blow it open, or at least scanning to have any idea that there is an entire forerunner city on the other side.

Forerunner tech is way too advanced and durable for humans to simply blow open or scan.

Weirdly tho, the first game takes place in 2552, so unless we had another dark age we should've been wayyyy more advanced in 500 years. Slipspace travel notwithstanding.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
500 years into the future and 7.62x51 NATO is still the ammunition of choice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Only 52 years after Waterworld.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Only 52 years after Waterworld.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

Forerunner tech is way too advanced and durable for humans to simply blow open or scan.

Weirdly tho, the first game takes place in 2552, so unless we had another dark age we should've been wayyyy more advanced in 500 years. Slipspace travel notwithstanding.

It still doesn't explain how a cave city gets simply unnoticed on an already settled planet. Like they already have dug out huges tunnels etc, what is stopping them from digging into that huge alien city? Is the whole city surrounded by some special alien material/shield or whatever else? But if that's the case then it only brings up the question why they didn't run into that, ie the mystery should have been "there is this huge underground cave area we can't access" but that's not how its presented.
Let's be honest, they wanted their "cool moment" without the story caring about the logistics of any of it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Isn't the planet made of billions of sentinels somehow in the book?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Marsupial Ape posted:

I'm just butt hurt they haven't explained the Spartan III augment process, yet. The armor is super cool, though. It will be fun to see people cosplay that.

Because there isn't an augmentation process? It looks like these are literally redshirts given a suit of armor. Like that one Spanish speaking woman used to be "just" a communication officer now she has a suit that's probably just a security blanket and won't do much.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Boris Galerkin posted:

Because there isn't an augmentation process? It looks like these are literally redshirts given a suit of armor. Like that one Spanish speaking woman used to be "just" a communication officer now she has a suit that's probably just a security blanket and won't do much.

SPI armor is pretty much a security blanket. The point was having an enhanced human inside of it. In the simulation, the IIIs made a hard landing on the cruiser hull that would have shattered a normal human. All I have are games and books to square this stuff with.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

500 years into the future and 7.62x51 NATO is still the ammunition of choice.

Still eating into the cold war surplus

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Btw I am kind of perplexed how they chose to show the whole ring (Halo) for the first time.

That shot was extremely underwhelming and anticlimatic. It also failed to give any sense of scale, why would you waste such an introduction/first shot of the halo in space in such a cheap way (I don't mind the shot in complete isolation but not in regards to how/when it was used)?

I'll be honest, the whole setup of how the Halo is suddenly discovered is just weird and I feel it lacks a proper buildup/creation of tension which is astonishing because we "wasted" nearly two full seasons and then they still manage to make it feel rushed/coming out of the blue, like the Halo just happened to hang around in the next neighbouring system and suddenly everyone is there.
That is also not helped by the fact that we simply don't get any reactions to the fact that there is this giant structure out there in space. They could (and probably will) do that in the future but those reactions should be there when you put it on screen. For the Covenant it's literally a holy place and for the humans it should at least invoke some sort of awe.
This is the object the show is named after and yet it's first proper appearance is treated so casually and the story only recognises it as mcguffin, the stupid covenant ship spike plot gets more attention and interaction with other characters than the actual Halo...
It feels like "the race to the Halo" and the buildup to that should have been a focus which leads to a big moment where we finally reach the Halo for the first time instead of whatever this is. I don't know how you can get such a basic story setup wrong, it's right infront of the writers...

PS: I never played the Halo games and don't have any emotional connection to its story so if it annoys me I can only imagine what those who are more familiar with the source material might think.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 16, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LinkesAuge posted:

PS: I never played the Halo games and don't have any emotional connection to its story so if it annoys me I can only imagine what those who are more familiar with the source material might think.

For the record, this is the very first shot of the entire Halo storyline from 2001 and (barring a bit of gameplay), here's how the Halo is established:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTxmVZFWdw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY6Kd-qfRM8

Is it a masterclass in storytelling? No, but it is effective and its a noticeable step up compared to a lot of shooters at the time. It sets up the immediate situation while sprinkling in some cool details here and there to provide some wider context.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I always liked that aspect of Halo, that the ring was just this like, Star Trek sort of weird loving mysterious object out there in the depths of space they just happened across, and you find out more as you go. Not really a fan of the way the show has been hyping it up for 2 seasons as this mystical destiny super weapon that controls the fate of the galaxy or something. Like yeah the covenant should be zealous about it, but the humans it doesn't seem should also be so hyped up on it.

Also since the flood has already been released separately, I think they're going to condense Halo CE into the final episode, so chief will land on it, find a monitor, who tells him some info (but crucially to the show isn't able to reveal all of it), that it detects some flood now in the galaxy and is going to begin firing in t-whatever, and chief will have to make sure kai does the spike and blows up the ring before it can fire.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Dang, the Autumn passing above the escape pod is such a class shot

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'll say it again, the lack of pillar of autumn is a huge misstep for the show. But who knows, maybe we'll get an actually still alive admiral Keyes showing up at the 11th hour to prevent master chief and whatever spartan 3s are left from getting vaporized. The show hasn't really met a cliche or trope it hasn't liked, so a 1-2 combo of character you thought was dead showing back up, and the cavalry showing up to swoop in and save the day at the last minute wouldn't really surprise me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GET TO THE loving HALO!!! gently caress! This show is so annoying!!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The halo edging is kind of amusing at this point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

At least chief’s suit jerks him off

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When she gahkaboonohs on my Quillick til I Mahgahchee

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

IAMTHEMEH

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia0iyDUipiM

Wondering how exactly Chief landing on the Halo in the middle of a giant space battle will get help him stop an entire fleet. Eh, he'll probably land right next to the Control Room or the Silent Cartographer.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Lol at still thinking the halo will feature in the finale more than a single closing shot of chief walking out of a ship onto it, and thats being generous

in the end, the Chief was loving all of us

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

They need to blow up the ring at the end of the episode so they can 1) speedrun halo CE and get through all that content no one cares about quickly, then 2) set up "there are more of them...." as a teaser for the next season, so seasons 3 and 4 and be about the hunt for the other halos, while chief goes rogue and deals with his trauma from losing his spartans.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Ratjaculation posted:

Lol at still thinking the halo will feature in the finale more than a single closing shot of chief walking out of a ship onto it, and thats being generous

in the end, the Chief was loving all of us

We get 10 minutes of Master Chief on the Halo, in a non descript forerunner room. He activates the failsafe and it is blown up. In that entire time he never puts his helmet on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I want chief to step out onto the halo and it's got original Xbox graphics.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I hope when Jarn Halo blows up the Halo, it red rings.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm just watching Onyx so still playing a bit of catchup but to be honest I think this show was always doomed to be a failure due to basic budgeting.

A story where a good 70% of it is alien poo poo and explosions needs a fuckton of CGI to bring it to life in a way that works.

This is why this and any other show of its type inevitable defaults to focus on humans with human problems and human bad guys.

It's cheaper.

That being said, I think back to Farscape and maybe I'm misremembering, but there were aliens galore in that show.

Is it actually not that expensive to do a live action space opera, and instead it's just bad writing and misspent budget, or was something like Farscape cheap to make because it reused sets a lot, etc?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Farscape was filmed in Australia, which is cheaper. It used pretty minimal CGI compared to contemporary shows like later seasons of Star Trek or the very CGI heavy Battlestar Galactica and Firefly. Brian Henson was an executive producer on Farscape so they had the huge advantage of Jim Henson Creature Shop experience for both the muppets like Rygel and the rubber forehead alien makeup. And even then the show got cancelled because it was quite expensive to make. It's more an example of the right people in the right place at the right time to make the most out of the resources they had. And sometimes it still looked like rear end or focused on explosive piss.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Arc Hammer posted:

Farscape was filmed in Australia, which is cheaper. It used pretty minimal CGI compared to contemporary shows like later seasons of Star Trek or the very CGI heavy Battlestar Galactica and Firefly. Brian Henson was an executive producer on Farscape so they had the huge advantage of Jim Henson Creature Shop experience for both the muppets like Rygel and the rubber forehead alien makeup. And even then the show got cancelled because it was quite expensive to make. It's more an example of the right people in the right place at the right time to make the most out of the resources they had. And sometimes it still looked like rear end or focused on explosive piss.

I guess I'm just surprised that for a story based on a game slated for its heavily recycled assets and environments, Starship Troopers level military designs, maybe 6(?) different alien species differing only by colour and worlds that basically look like the places they filmed Stargate SG1, we don't have something that's relatively cheap to make and entertaining to watch.

I don't know much about production, but how many scenes/sets have been filmed so far that don't seem to get used again?

It's like all of the characters are always moving somewhere new all of the time.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 18, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They'll make season 3 and to save on filming costs they go to Vanvouver and film in the bushes outside UBC like they did with the Forward Unto Dawn miniseries.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love that the halo show still doesn't have the budget to consistently do or depict things people associate with halo and so resorts to the same wheel-spinning bullshit you'd expect from a lot of shows these days regardless of the genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

Was cheaper, in the 90's. Now they pay $12 for movie screws