Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

ethanol posted:

Reminder sg is the best guitar

They're okay, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Do you use coated strings, widefault?
Or do you rotate through them in some fixed way in a play/care schedule to keep them from corroding

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

ethanol posted:

:hmmyes:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
No coated strings, no intentional rotation. I just don't seem to get corroded strings. Hell, there's a few here with easily 20 year old Dean Markley Blue Steels that are still bright and clean. The trick is to have air conditioning or a dehumidifier and wipe stuff down after playing. And if you're the type with corrosive sweat, keep something nearby to wipe your hands off every so often while playing.

I will say whatever the Chinese budget builders are using right now seem to come pre-corroded to make sure your fingers turn black the first time you play one. Firefly, Zuwei, KGD, Glen Burton; all of them left me with black, stinky fingers, and one of them was even unwinding itself.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Most of the string dulling stuff is dirt and dead skin. If you have like 10 guitars to rotate through the strings are gonna last a lot longer imo

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, 11 guitar haver here, it takes a while for strings to actually start to get bad.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Wash your hands before playing and wipe off afterwards and it's not a problem unless you have really acidic sweat.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I have xenomorph sweat it fuckin sucks bro.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I have xenomorph sweat it fuckin sucks bro.

same

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah, 11 guitar haver here, it takes a while for strings to actually start to get bad.

Recently I realized it’d been so long since I played one of my guitars that the neck was out of wack.

Strings were still good though.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Recently I realized it’d been so long since I played one of my guitars that the neck was out of wack.

Strings were still good though.

Yeah weather has been changing here and I've been needing to give some truss rods a turn this week.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

ethanol posted:

this is pretty good but you should fix that pick guard

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Stalizard posted:

I wanted to just post for a minute. I got some strap locks last week because the last time we had band practice my strap slipped off the thing; it seemed like a practical purchase.

Don't bother with Duncan strap locks if you have an SG. They stick out way too far behind the neck, the guitar wants to pivot downward, you gotta fight it with either the front of your fingering arm or the back of your picking arm and either way it makes you sound like poo poo.

There's a guy on the regular Internet forums who has solved this issue, though. I did what he said and I bought some Grolsch beer and pulled the rubber gaskets off of the bottles and that has worked perfectly. gently caress a strap lock, have a beer and it will all work out

Yeah, I use the grolsch trick on my Fenders (although I can't get my SG in its case with a strap, so it lives dangerously)

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Stalizard posted:

There's a guy on the regular Internet forums who has solved this issue, though. I did what he said and I bought some Grolsch beer and pulled the rubber gaskets off of the bottles and that has worked perfectly. gently caress a strap lock, have a beer and it will all work out

you can also get rubber washers at the hardware store

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like the schallers that came standard on my Rick :) although Rick uses a button that's different from the default lock that you can't use a tool on for some reason.

Dimarzio cliplock straps are also awesome :)

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I haven't had string corrosion problems since I was a teen but I think I just pay attention and wash my hands/wipe down more now.

However, I have a buddy who also has xenomorph sweat and he'll turn all my unwound strings black after one session :argh:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i have xenomorph sweat. not only do i turn strings black insanely fast, my arm resting on the body fucks up clearcoats

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I haven’t changed strings on my main guitar for like 6-7 years lol granted they are heavy as gently caress and flatwound but I am lucky to not sweat acid.

That said (I don’t always do this anymore) if you keep an old t-shirt/cotton cloth in your case and wipe down the strings every time you’re done playing it helps a lot. I used to always wash my hands before playing but now unless I just ate a pizza, have skin lotion on my hands etc. if they feel dry and smooth I’ll just play.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Southern Cassowary posted:

i have xenomorph sweat. not only do i turn strings black insanely fast, my arm resting on the body fucks up clearcoats

Relic speedrun

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Hail, chosen of Nurgle!

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

rio posted:

I haven’t changed strings on my main guitar for like 6-7 years lol granted they are heavy as gently caress and flatwound but I am lucky to not sweat acid.

That said (I don’t always do this anymore) if you keep an old t-shirt/cotton cloth in your case and wipe down the strings every time you’re done playing it helps a lot. I used to always wash my hands before playing but now unless I just ate a pizza, have skin lotion on my hands etc. if they feel dry and smooth I’ll just play.

yup! flats are sick, and mine have also been on for the better part of a decade. they even sound better for lots of styles imo, although you can't always get the hyper-sparkly tones lots of roundies crave.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Goddamn I gotta stay away from reverb, there's decent deals that I don't need mixed in with the ones I do lol. About to start lessons soon so I'm not all spastic with my practice finally.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

creamcorn posted:

yup! flats are sick, and mine have also been on for the better part of a decade. they even sound better for lots of styles imo, although you can't always get the hyper-sparkly tones lots of roundies crave.

Fo sho. I have flats on all my Bass guitars and my hollow body.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I'm trying to learn to the solo in Highway Star by Deep Purple. There's this big sixteenth note run up the high e string, I'm sure you know it. I started it at 80 bpm to get it under my fingers and then got comfortable at 100 bpm and then 112 and started feeling pretty good about myself, it's getting a little more fluid and almost starting to sound like music and not just some scale exercise. Then I rolled back up to the top of the sheet music to see what tempo I'm supposed to be playing at and it turns out it's fuckin 166

guess i'll just keep rolling this goddamned stone up this hill

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

bi-annual "landgrabber posts music": https://voca.ro/1gClFcSiArJP

technique sux because i was using my telecaster, which has a thin 50s rear end neck and 12s when i'm used to my strat. but tele pickups/tone just rule. really wishing i could just go find a good player tele but i have a leaky headgasket and owe my therapist money so

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

landgrabber posted:

technique sux because i was using my telecaster, which has a thin 50s rear end neck and 12s when i'm used to my strat. but tele pickups/tone just rule. really wishing i could just go find a good player tele but i have a leaky headgasket and owe my therapist money so

Love this, killer dirty tone. Reminds me of Ponytail, who I really dig.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

landgrabber posted:

the tone here is fantastic and i love the songwriting, this is good poo poo

if you're using the little flute synth thing as a standin for vocals i highly suggest messing around with synthv - the solaria voice has a free pack and is pretty dang good for sketching out vocal ideas if you don't have a vocalist

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
12s, why you workin so hard, man?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

12s, why you workin so hard, man?

i skimmed right over this lol

9s on a fender scale for life

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
except for jaguars and mustangs which basically can only be intonated with 10s or up

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

except for jaguars and mustangs which basically can only be intonated with 10s or up

i mean those are 24 inches right

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Yeah exactly

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

T Zero posted:

I'm looking get started in electric guitar, but have literally zero musical knowledge

duodenum posted:

I have 2 monoprice guitars and they are both pretty good for the price but only after a set-up. That's probably true for most sub-$250 guitars. poo poo, if you live in the Houston area I would give you one (or both) of them.

T Zero posted:

(Also lol I'm heading to Houston in a couple weeks for a conference.)

duodenum posted:

(funny how Apple's "portrait" algorithm backgrounded a couple of the tuners)

Here's the (pre-Indio) Monoprice Strat. It plays very nicely, and would be excellent for a beginner. All the electronics still work after sitting under dust for at least a year, I will clean it up. Needs new strings and a fret polish. Under the new tension (different strings than before), it might need a truss rod tweak. I will do all that because I think it's fun.

I have a very thin gig bag this came with, so if you're flying back from Houston, you might ask someone who has flown with guitars to see what to do to make sure it doesn't get snapped in half.

edit: I also have a good little practice amp that will go with it.

PM me and we can establish a time/place.

FOLK'S

A WHOLE rear end GUITAR STARTER KIT - GUITAR, AMP, BAG, CORD, TOOLS. THIS IS AMAZING.

GOONS ROCK. TEXAS ROCKS. THANK YOU DUODENUM. YOU ARE THE BEST PART OF THE BEST INTESTINE.

T Zero fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 18, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gratz on your musical journey beginning T Zero
and duodenum you are a good person

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

i skimmed right over this lol

9s on a fender scale for life

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

9s, why you workin so hard, man?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I use 10s on my strat

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

T Zero posted:

THANK YOU DUODENUM. YOU ARE THE BEST PART OF THE BEST INTESTINE.

hahaha, I love it! Nice to meet you and I hope that kit serves you well! 👍👍

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Music goons being so keen to help each other out, especially new players, is one of the best parts of ML I swear. It's just nice and wholesome, you love to see it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ethanol posted:

I use 10s on my strat

hell I don't even go higher than .11 on my acoustics

12s on an electric sounds like hand cramps to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any advice on what to do if you play classical and your nails are just absolute dogshit for guitar?

My nails start to curl a lot as soon as they grow in, and it's sort of manageable with most of my fingers but my index finger is just a disaster. I have to keep it just barely grown out enough to play the string but if I grow it even slightly too long it starts to hook on the string because it's just curling around it. This is kinda gross but I can like bend it straight by biting it with my teeth and kinda just bending it a bit and that'll last long enough for me to play but I mean I would prefer not to have to do that.

I got these tiptonic nail things and they work pretty well but not perfectly, sometimes they don't hook onto my nail like they're supposed to, and I find it hard to do artificial harmonics with them on, and it also makes a bit harder to avoid accidentally touching them on the string first instead of the pad of my finger, meaning I get like a nail clicking sound sometimes from them. Ideally I'd really like to be able to just use my actual nails.

Anyway, I've tried taking collagen, hair/nail vitamins, etc. but just wondering if anyone else had an experience like this and has any advice on if you can get your nails to grow in straight instead of hooking down.

I've played guitar for like 10 years and I think I only realized when I got these fake nails how many of my problems playing were from my nails

Also on my left hand I have issues with my middle finger where there's a giant indentation between the pad and the nail and when I try to fret things the string kinda slips into that gap and so I have to press down at very weird angles sometimes with my middle finger if I want to be able to fret with that finger without laying it flatter and accidentally touching the string above it sometimes. No one else seems to know what I am talking about when I describe this so also curious if anyone knows wtf happened here.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 18, 2024