Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mandoric posted:

There doesn't have to be a deliberate or conscious effort, just a Pythagorean filling-in from side A "these particular people click more ads" and side B "we make more money when more ads are clicked" of side C "show links to things these particular people will probably like".

A particular trend I've noticed is that search functions, not just internet search engines, seem to be less and less able to do exact searches.

I can put a phrase in quotation marks and it'll disregard that and only give me results with just one of the words, or the words apart, or synonyms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

history class does exist at hogwarts but its explicitly described as being the most boring class in the school thats being taught by a ghost i think we only ever actually see it once because the professor has some plot relevant information

at no point does anyone stop to wonder whether the negative historical experiences of goblins and giants with wizards might be why they decided to join forces with voldemort despite voldemorts main evil trait supposedly being that hes more racist than normal wizards

Voldemort ftw

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

A particular trend I've noticed is that search functions, not just internet search engines, seem to be less and less able to do exact searches.

I can put a phrase in quotation marks and it'll disregard that and only give me results with just one of the words, or the words apart, or synonyms.
search is just vibes now

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

"it actually owns that windows search accesses the internet" the words of a deranged madman

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I dunno I think it's really good that our personal devices need to be always online in order for us to use them. After all, how is the nsa going to scrape our data?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

They're getting much worse. I've mentioned this before, but it used to be that if I remembered the gist of a book that's title escaped me, I could find it straight away. Now, I essentially need to type in the title to google search, and for many books it won't even be in the first few results, which defeats the point of searching for it when I forget. I've had better luck either searching the terms on JSTOR, double checking if I have the pdf on my computer, or going through the bibliographies of related books on my shelves.

Even searching the "books" and "shopping" tabs does not return useful results unless you essentially have the title for a bunch of subjects. I was trying to remember what book on Guelphs and Ghibellines talked about Dante's experience at Campaldino, and had to use Yandex.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

e: I meant to ask. It's a cliche in movies and TV for American students to be taught the date of the Magna Carta. Is this a real thing? Do American students learn about 13th century English politics, and are they expected to do so by memorizing dates?

Yeah, that's the stuff you are tested on at a middle school level. Names and dates make up the curriculum. The most you learn about 13th c. politics is the people stood up to the king.

In secondary school, it heavily depends on the quality of the school and instructor. My experience was pretty good. Assessment was based on written essays, which required critical thinking and data synthesis.

But I'm not sure that was typical.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, I've noticed this too. I thought it was my personal perception.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

at no point does anyone stop to wonder whether the negative historical experiences of goblins and giants with wizards might be why they decided to join forces with voldemort despite voldemorts main evil trait supposedly being that hes more racist than normal wizards

the school is literally still staffed by slaves and the one person of hundreds? thousands? who gives a poo poo about that is treated like a kooky maniac. they would never ever ask those questions at that school

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I I don't think the political grievances of the goblins were ever addressed, she just talks about their rebellions...

The enslavement of the goblin things is basically treated as a joke. Like, Hermione tries to raise awareness of the goblins plight, and everyone just kinda laughs it off. "That's Hermione for you, her and her crazy ideas".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
What the actual gently caress.

https://twitter.com/joerussotweets/status/1767968501741105283

How is trump derangement syndrome this real.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Asproigerosis posted:

I dunno I think it's really good that our personal devices need to be always online in order for us to use them. After all, how is the nsa going to scrape our data?

I feel like the more dependent all of our tech is on internet, the worse the apocalypse is gonna be. even the cars won't work. bye bye mad max future.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

hooman posted:

lol that was actually a profoundly underrated movie

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
not by me. it's a perfect film and I said it upon first viewing when it came out :beerpal:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

I really liked the movie too. But I think you've entirely failed to understand it if you're ever agreeing with Ozymandias.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

hooman posted:

"Zack Snyder’s opus"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

All I remember about Watchmen is a dude got his face burned off in a fryolator-involved incident and a blue guy hanging huge dong

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ram dass in hell posted:

not by me. it's a perfect film and I said it upon first viewing when it came out :beerpal:

I turned it off after hearing the actor doing rorschach being all batman instead of being all blunt affect. also the story doesn't make any sense without the giant squid. the comedian finding out about the giant squid is what sets off all the other events in the book

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

e: I meant to ask. It's a cliche in movies and TV for American students to be taught the date of the Magna Carta. Is this a real thing? Do American students learn about 13th century English politics, and are they expected to do so by memorizing dates?

basically beat, but i have literally no recollection of anything like this. It was all in narrative timeline form, what happened before / after, with maybe some dates slammed in so you could sorta keep track of the general timeline of events. I don't even think I fuckin knew what the drat magna carta was until pretty fuckin late, tbh.

One problem is the quality of education is wildly nonstandard and varies A LOT, the other is it's generally poo poo. Books may be extremely out of date or brand new. Teachers may be by-the-book or flexible and realistic. Books may be straight up factually wrong or have political agendas. Same with school boards.

My nephew's one teacher literally helped him cheat because he was loving up and it was easier than holding him back or helping him understand. Now he's in deep poo poo and very much behind his peers and nobody gives a gently caress, except his teachers now will absolutely hammer his rear end if he gets busted cheating.

gradenko_2000 posted:

i have no idea you might have to be like
+hot +milfs +in +my +area +want +to +chat
or whatever insane incomprehensible notation they use to specify precision now.
"two words" vaguely links the two words, i think
+"two words" doesn't work, it's just weighting the linked value instead of strictly excluding everything else in the query?
"+two +words" doesn't work because it's trying to use the pluses as weighted values within the quoted component or some poo poo

I have no idea how to exclude unrelated information or specify "only this exact loving thing" it's a clusterfuck, it's garbage, it's fuckin trash, and it's just luck of the draw if you get anything remotely similar to what you want. It actively starts building and correlating what it thinks you personally consider to be related queries too, and they can be absolutely completely unrelated or even deadass opposites. So if you want something like greek language pluralization rules, it's going to see ok this device looks up language information every so often, and looked up aquarium stuff every so often. Other users have questions related to aquariums and plurals like xyz. Clearly this goon wants to know about the pluralization of octopus.

No, i'm gonna have to go to the loving library or buy an actual book is what i'm going to have to do. I can't even search how to do old style searching or make it give me the precision search rules or anything. Fuckin gonna go try and see if metacrawler or some poo poo still works. Altavista.

e: and the motherfucker will give me results that are literally the same loving result, right next to each other in the list of results! literally the same url in the list of urls! what the gently caress is this poo poo?

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Mar 17, 2024

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Voice of Labor posted:

I turned it off after hearing the actor doing rorschach being all batman instead of being all blunt affect. also the story doesn't make any sense without the giant squid. the comedian finding out about the giant squid is what sets off all the other events in the book

combat giant squid erasure

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

basically beat, but i have literally no recollection of anything like this. It was all in narrative timeline form, what happened before / after, with maybe some dates slammed in so you could sorta keep track of the general timeline of events. I don't even think I fuckin knew what the drat magna carta was until pretty fuckin late, tbh.

One problem is the quality of education is wildly nonstandard and varies A LOT, the other is it's generally poo poo. Books may be extremely out of date or brand new. Teachers may be by-the-book or flexible and realistic. Books may be straight up factually wrong or have political agendas. Same with school boards.

My nephew's one teacher literally helped him cheat because he was loving up and it was easier than holding him back or helping him understand. Now he's in deep poo poo and very much behind his peers and nobody gives a gently caress, except his teachers now will absolutely hammer his rear end if he gets busted cheating.

i have no idea you might have to be like
+hot +milfs +in +my +area +want +to +chat
or whatever insane incomprehensible notation they use to specify precision now.
"two words" vaguely links the two words, i think
+"two words" doesn't work, it's just weighting the linked value instead of strictly excluding everything else in the query?
"+two +words" doesn't work because it's trying to use the pluses as weighted values within the quoted component or some poo poo

I have no idea how to exclude unrelated information or specify "only this exact loving thing" it's a clusterfuck, it's garbage, it's fuckin trash, and it's just luck of the draw if you get anything remotely similar to what you want. It actively starts building and correlating what it thinks you personally consider to be related queries too, and they can be absolutely completely unrelated or even deadass opposites. So if you want something like greek language pluralization rules, it's going to see ok this device looks up language information every so often, and looked up aquarium stuff every so often. Other users have questions related to aquariums and plurals like xyz. Clearly this goon wants to know about the pluralization of octopus.

No, i'm gonna have to go to the loving library or buy an actual book is what i'm going to have to do. I can't even search how to do old style searching or make it give me the precision search rules or anything. Fuckin gonna go try and see if metacrawler or some poo poo still works. Altavista.

Google removed the + operator quite a while ago (maybe around the time Google+ was a thing?)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I repeatedly switch between google, bing, and the duck one just to see if i can get anything decent

i dunno it seems like it's all crap, even the ones that do have at least some ways of trying to specify what you want. Also they've seemingly converged on giving me garbage results in all cases no matter what i'm looking for

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

SixteenShells posted:

the school is literally still staffed by slaves and the one person of hundreds? thousands? who gives a poo poo about that is treated like a kooky maniac. they would never ever ask those questions at that school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhu4T_vwxIU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

hooman posted:

I did not watch those men

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

I did not watch those men

do not watch

do not watch

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

1glitch0 posted:

i'm loving dying over here

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
2028: Trump v Biden, again

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
every election from now on will be trump vs biden until one or both of them croaks and after that it will be chatgpt trump vs chatgpt biden

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

2028: Trump v Biden, again

this is the one scenario where I vote Biden because this is funny as hell

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

every election from now on will be trump vs biden until one or both of them croaks and after that it will be chatgpt trump vs chatgpt biden

chatgpTrump

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Probably Magic posted:

Yeah, even when I was 9 or 10, I just thought Harry Potter was bad Roald Dahl, and a big part of it is that Dahl's protagonists are usually completely isolated against the world with only one ally or very inhuman allies, but Harry has an entire fraternity and the administration on his side and he's still whining. The Potter books might've worked better if the protagonist was a girl, that would actually explain the chip on the shoulder better, but as is, a white kid acting so slighted even though he has his own fan club feels real offputting. Guess that's why she tried to tease that Harry could be black, because that's the only real way to sell it better.

Lewis and Dahl just did such a better job speaking, at least to me, to feelings of marginalization. Harry Potter never sells that to me. Then they treat the elves like poo poo - very cool!

Charlie kinda stands out that he's got a loving but also very dependent family- people joke about the four grandparents all bedbound in the same bed but that probably wouldn't even be too unusual in the days of intergenerational households.

Also even before pretty much every adaptation gives the Oompa-Loompas more agency to the point where it seems like they really run the show and just let Wonka be the frontman, I would not gently caress with an Oompa-Loompa.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

I think you can get improved results by doing the following (on google, not sure about other engines):

after you search, look to the right for a button called "tools". click that, then change "all results" to "verbatim"

see if that helps

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Davethulhu posted:

I think you can get improved results by doing the following (on google, not sure about other engines):

after you search, look to the right for a button called "tools". click that, then change "all results" to "verbatim"

see if that helps

that option hasn't done anything meaningful in years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mcmagic posted:

Joss Whedon of all people may have had a point saying it came a little bit too early, riffing on superheroes that hadn't really gotten prominent movie adaptations yet. The Comedian being Captain America and Dr Manhattan striding across Vietnam being a pretty good counterpoint to Wonder Woman in No Man's Land, for starters.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Saraiguma posted:

that option hasn't done anything meaningful in years

i still get different results out of it. usually what i want pops up when it hadn't

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

WASHINGTON]
Any hope of success is fleeting
How can I keep leading when the people I’m
Leading keep retreating?
We put a stop to the bleeding as the British take Brooklyn
Knight takes rook, but look

[WASHINGTON]
We are outgunned

Outmanned

Outnumbered
Outplanned

We gotta make an all out stand
Ayo, I’m gonna need a right-hand man

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

I repeatedly switch between google, bing, and the duck one just to see if i can get anything decent

i dunno it seems like it's all crap, even the ones that do have at least some ways of trying to specify what you want. Also they've seemingly converged on giving me garbage results in all cases no matter what i'm looking for

yep. additionally I just want to preempt any kagi kramers in here - it sucks too, harder in many ways. their filters are more broken than google's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

hooman posted:

I really liked the movie too. But I think you've entirely failed to understand it if you're ever agreeing with Ozymandias.

The entire point was it was a stupid plan that was never going to work and he killed hundreds of people for loving nothing!