Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It’s a car negotiation, ask for whatever you want. The dealer won’t think twice about trying to screw you over. Worst they say is no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

There is no right or wrong when negotiating with a car dealership. Take them for everything you can get.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

You did not mention that you were not trading in the Tacoma, nor was the car you're buying the same dealership where you bought the Tacoma, even. I know alls fair in love and car negotiations, but asking the salesman to throw in an oil change on a car they have no interest in screams "dance for your tips" to me.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Would it have been easier to just ask for the dollar amount of an oil change off, and then pay for it? I have never worked at a car dealership, but I imagine they have established process for adjusting the price, but maybe less for giving some random car an oil change.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Silly Burrito posted:

Ok, a question: Is this a douchey move?

I’m buying a 2024 Toyota Venza. Going back and forth with the dealer and I asked if they could throw in a free oil change on my Tacoma. I wasn’t insisting on it, I just need an oil change and asked if they would do it.

In the end, they didn’t. But was that a douchey thing to ask for? Braks was laughing her rear end off while I was on the phone.

Nah, extract as much as you can from them. In the end, at worst they're out like $15-20 since that's what the bulk (synthetic?) oil and actual labor probably cost them.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m buying a 2024 Toyota Venza. Going back and forth with the dealer and I asked if they could throw in a free oil change on my Tacoma. I wasn’t insisting on it, I just need an oil change and asked if they would do it.

In the end, they didn’t. But was that a douchey thing to ask for? Braks was laughing her rear end off while I was on the phone.

Nope. They’re not your friends - it’s a negotiation.

The interest they have is earning your new business. I’m team SB here!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The fact that it was just a rando other car is a little unusual but I don't think it's an insane thing to try. If car dealers don't want people asking for outlandish poo poo maybe they shouldn't structure the process so that you feel like you have to ask for outlandish poo poo. The way that you can and should haggle over car prices or you overpay by thousands of dollars is wild. Other than real estate I really can't think of any mass produced good where there isn't just a fixed price and you take it or leave it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Trail up at Forest Park was undergoing construction but otherwise a good 8 mile loop.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've been involved with numerous suits against car dealerships with both car buyers and salesmen as clients. Car dealerships are profit extraction machines, and they do everything possible to squeeze every penny out of every single transaction. They are loving everyone top to bottom, and you have to make sure you're not getting used by them. They literally teach sales people psychological tactics to close the deal. Your only tool is your ability to get up and walk away.

Every fee they're adding onto the vehicle is horseshit. "X Dealership Name Package" or whatever it's called they add to their cars is just profit in their pockets. Doc fee? Profit in their pockets. Rehabilitation on a used car = full dealership rate charged against the vehicle for any work that had to be done. Actual cost for said rehabilitation is usually 1-2 hours of labor plus parts. They'll charge $1500 in rehab fees for changing the oil and rotating tires.

Always negotiate to the best of your power to get all of the fees removed. No matter how much they say they're taking a loss on the sale, they are not. I have literally dug through half a dozen different car dealer's books. Do not feel bad for ol' Gil.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

When I bought my Jeep I used the USAA car buying program because I didn’t feel like dealing with all of the bullshit. They still kept me in that little windowless room for an extra 45 minutes trying to sell me on clear coats and engine sealants and wipers for life and whatnot. I have nothing but disdain for car dealerships, their salesmen, and the lobbyists that try their damndest to prevent you from just buying the car from the manufacturer for a set price.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a sexual elk posted:

I also Looooove Stardew and if you haven’t seen it Ape is dropping a huge update soon

Oh snaaaaap

What’s in da update that has you especially excited???

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1768685328746135664

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Car dealers gently caress consumers with lots of horseshit fees. They will buy a car for $8k, list it for $16k, and then tack on $800-5000 in fees that are nothing more than them lining their pockets.

Car dealers gently caress their salespeople by manipulating the commissionable gross they get a cut of. Say they get a car from auction for $8000. They sell the car for $16,000 plus $3500 in fees tacked on. The salesman doesn’t get a cut of any additional fees. Their gross is only off the raw sales price. Management and ownership get the profit from the fees.

So you’d think at first that since they get 25% of commissionable gross that they’d get a $2k commission. Nope! First, even though the dealer paid $8k at auction, the purchase price in the system is often $1k higher. CG is now 25% of $7k.

Then there is something called a pack or lot fee. This is a straight up chunk of CG that the dealership reserves. Ranges from $500-2000. Average in my cases is around $1500. So now our CG is down to $5.5k.

Remember those rehab fees and such? Those and more also get billed against the car in the books. I’ve seen $100 charges for a car wash. They’ll have a $250 charge to the car for photos and internet advertising. These additional charges range from $1500-3000 with more being billed if there’s any additional work done on the car.

So now our CG is only $2500 so the salesman profit is $625. They’ll only get that full amount if they haven’t dipped into their “draw” at all. The “draw” is the hourly wage dealerships have to pay at a minimum. If sales are lean and commissions haven’t been above minimum wage, you go into the draw, and any amount they pay you beyond your commissions is tapped from any commission you get paid.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lmao

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've been involved with numerous suits against car dealerships with both car buyers and salesmen as clients. Car dealerships are profit extraction machines, and they do everything possible to squeeze every penny out of every single transaction. They are loving everyone top to bottom, and you have to make sure you're not getting used by them. They literally teach sales people psychological tactics to close the deal. Your only tool is your ability to get up and walk away.

Every fee they're adding onto the vehicle is horseshit. "X Dealership Name Package" or whatever it's called they add to their cars is just profit in their pockets. Doc fee? Profit in their pockets. Rehabilitation on a used car = full dealership rate charged against the vehicle for any work that had to be done. Actual cost for said rehabilitation is usually 1-2 hours of labor plus parts. They'll charge $1500 in rehab fees for changing the oil and rotating tires.

Always negotiate to the best of your power to get all of the fees removed. No matter how much they say they're taking a loss on the sale, they are not. I have literally dug through half a dozen different car dealer's books. Do not feel bad for ol' Gil.

Yeah we bought a used Hyundai a while back from a dealership. When I asked for some concession (don't remember what) the salesman straight up tried to tell me I had already talked him down so much he was taking a loss and his family wouldn't have food on the table. lmfao come the gently caress on dude, does this actually work on people? Weirdly when I said I wasn't interested at that price and got up to leave, the conversation was suddenly able to continue :thunk: RIP to that guy's starving kids I guess.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pain of Mind posted:

Would it have been easier to just ask for the dollar amount of an oil change off, and then pay for it? I have never worked at a car dealership, but I imagine they have established process for adjusting the price, but maybe less for giving some random car an oil change.

Oh yeah, and it worked out that way in the end. They took off more than what the oil change would've cost

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s a car negotiation, ask for whatever you want. The dealer won’t think twice about trying to screw you over. Worst they say is no.

That's my thinking too. At the worst they say no. :shrug:

Docjowles posted:

The fact that it was just a rando other car is a little unusual but I don't think it's an insane thing to try. If car dealers don't want people asking for outlandish poo poo maybe they shouldn't structure the process so that you feel like you have to ask for outlandish poo poo. The way that you can and should haggle over car prices or you overpay by thousands of dollars is wild. Other than real estate I really can't think of any mass produced good where there isn't just a fixed price and you take it or leave it

I agree. I remember buying Braks' Scion fondly because the price was the price and that was it. The main difference is that one dealership charged $10 for oil changes if we bought from them, so we did.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Car dealers gently caress consumers with lots of horseshit fees. They will buy a car for $8k, list it for $16k, and then tack on $800-5000 in fees that are nothing more than them lining their pockets.

Car dealers gently caress their salespeople by manipulating the commissionable gross they get a cut of. Say they get a car from auction for $8000. They sell the car for $16,000 plus $3500 in fees tacked on. The salesman doesn’t get a cut of any additional fees. Their gross is only off the raw sales price. Management and ownership get the profit from the fees.

So you’d think at first that since they get 25% of commissionable gross that they’d get a $2k commission. Nope! First, even though the dealer paid $8k at auction, the purchase price in the system is often $1k higher. CG is now 25% of $7k.

Then there is something called a pack or lot fee. This is a straight up chunk of CG that the dealership reserves. Ranges from $500-2000. Average in my cases is around $1500. So now our CG is down to $5.5k.

Remember those rehab fees and such? Those and more also get billed against the car in the books. I’ve seen $100 charges for a car wash. They’ll have a $250 charge to the car for photos and internet advertising. These additional charges range from $1500-3000 with more being billed if there’s any additional work done on the car.

So now our CG is only $2500 so the salesman profit is $625. They’ll only get that full amount if they haven’t dipped into their “draw” at all. The “draw” is the hourly wage dealerships have to pay at a minimum. If sales are lean and commissions haven’t been above minimum wage, you go into the draw, and any amount they pay you beyond your commissions is tapped from any commission you get paid.

drat, that's pretty fascinating to know, thank you!

Long story short, I test drove a 2024 Toyota Venza Limited, and I really liked it. I emailed multiple dealers asking what their out the door price was. Went back and forth on a couple of them. Then I found this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/file/d/12NxPhXAS73y9fDUN0Y3Ac1QqhkHQBS8k/edit?filetype=msexcel

That shows EVERY Venza in the United States and it shows where they are, what the MSRP is, what the dealer's price is, etc. (It also has links for every other Toyota, Lexus, and Hyundai models, so have a look if you're interested). So I kind of had an idea of how much they're going for.

This specific one that I'm buying has about $1600 in extra stuff that I don't really want (roof rails, car floor mats (I want Weathertech), dash cam, and the paint package). One of the dealers that I was working with that I met through Costco found this car through a neighbor dealership and stripped most of those prices away, but I'm keeping the stuff. They told me that the lowest they could go was $50,162 out the door with tax, title, license, everything. I asked if we could do $49,500 and an oil change. He called back and said no, the best we could do is $50,162 and that was it. I said, ok, I'll keep looking.

They called me back one hour later. $49,900. :D

I'm sure there's more profit built in, but in looking at some of the other quotes I got, this is pretty bottom of the barrel competitively speaking. It was the lowest quote by $2000. I still can't believe cars are that much more expensive, but to be fair, my truck is a 2006 Tacoma, it's been awhile. But at least I didn't have to spend my day in a car dealership while they walk back and forth. Just have to have the new car delivered to the lot, give them a check from Navy Federal and done.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Canned Sunshine posted:

So is the Switch Lite still an ok buy for young kids, or should I just avoid it? We have a normal Switch that my oldest uses, but my middle kid gets jealous now, but is also still relatively destructive, so I was thinking the Switch Lite, suitably bumped, could be a good option for him.

I think it is (if nothing else you don't have to worry about lovely Joy-cons), and you might be able to get one cheap; just looking online I'm seeing prices for under 180, so you don't mind used that can be an option

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Canned Sunshine posted:

So is the Switch Lite still an ok buy for young kids, or should I just avoid it? We have a normal Switch that my oldest uses, but my middle kid gets jealous now, but is also still relatively destructive, so I was thinking the Switch Lite, suitably bumped, could be a good option for him.

Yeah, go for it. New switch comes out in almost exactly 1 year btw if that's any concern, most likely not worth worrying about for kids.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Canned Sunshine posted:

To help from the video games thread:

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Nintendo Switch Lite - Turquoise $184.99 + free $25 Amazon credit w/ coupon code NSWLITE25

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I am def being a native Seattlite stereotype today. It's in the mid to upper 60s and I'm fully out and about in a tank top and shorts, hairy legs and all. I missed the sun a lot, can't lie.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Goddammit Mina, this is too good

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1769099571957747756?t=QONovdJQ-P6Cx2eqLoQo_w&s=19

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

:golfclap:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

:wow:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:perfect:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ooooh yeah

PPP from Saucy Mommas

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

My wife has always been very funny

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Ooooh yeah

PPP from Saucy Mommas

This looks very good but I now have heartburn simply from looking at the photo

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I went to an italian bakery today and spent far too much on meats, jarred veg and a big old bread stick and made a giant sandwich. This will be the only thing I eat today and I did the maths in my app and its 1700 calories. imgur is being a dickhead or i'd upload.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Silly Burrito posted:

When I bought my Miata from a small mechanic/private dealer kind of spot, the guy wanted $4200 on the ad, I was the first person to look at it and offered him $3500, we settled on $3750 and he took care of getting the license plates registered in my name. When I bought my M3 from a private seller, we agreed on a price and then he knocked $1000 off after we shook on it.

So I don't think asking a stealership to give you $5 in value when you're buying a $45k car is that douchey.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I just watched Dream Scenario.

It's a very weird Nicholas Cage movie.

It should be noted Ari Aster & Nicholas Cage produced it too.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Docjowles posted:

This looks very good but I now have heartburn simply from looking at the photo

Just wished the toppings were crisped up a little bit more when I opened the box, but it was great. The place does home made sauce/dough, even the crust alone rocks. I get it tho, they were slammed cause it’s a ski resort town and we got a ton of beautiful powder yesterday

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Also just caught up on Shogun, I’m loving it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a sexual elk posted:

Also just caught up on Shogun, I’m loving it

Between saucy mamas, and Shogun, you are my favorite poster today, like most days

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Wow. Hurtful, kiimo

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

I went to an italian bakery today and spent far too much on meats, jarred veg and a big old bread stick and made a giant sandwich. This will be the only thing I eat today and I did the maths in my app and its 1700 calories. imgur is being a dickhead or i'd upload.

I am waiting for the pics because dang that sounds good

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

Wow. Hurtful, kiimo

I like to breed a healthy environment of competition in my clubhouse

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

kiimo posted:

Between saucy mamas, and Shogun, you are my favorite poster today, like most days

Awwwww, for reals that means a lot

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My non goon wife knows most of you guys by names whenever I talk about forum stuff, kiimo is my Bear goon. Ether and a few others are my LA goons, burrito and braks are the couple, android is the Washington gun cooking guy, blindsite is my night crew n****.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sorry to the lot I missed but I love you all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shinji2015 posted:

I think it is (if nothing else you don't have to worry about lovely Joy-cons), and you might be able to get one cheap; just looking online I'm seeing prices for under 180, so you don't mind used that can be an option

Kalli posted:

Yeah, go for it. New switch comes out in almost exactly 1 year btw if that's any concern, most likely not worth worrying about for kids.

Silly Burrito posted:

To help from the video games thread:

Thanks all! It seems like the Amazon deal had expired, at least at $185 + credit, but my local Target had them with GCs also, and I got 5% off and so it was $190 + GC. Ordered a bumpered case for it too so I'm thinking the kiddos will be excited, and I'll probably use it at times in bed once they're asleep too, since my oldest being all-in on Pokemon has gotten me interested in the games again too.

a sexual elk posted:

Ooooh yeah

PPP from Saucy Mommas

That looks amazing. I can't tell if those are peperoncinos or banana peppers, but either is a very underrated ingredient on pizzas.