Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

12 Angry Men is from the 50s and still very good, although not all of The Men get all that angry really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
12 Honrny Men though they are all pissed off

some of them even get pissed on

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

khwarezm posted:

Funnily enough, for me 2001 really did live up to the hype and not in a 'it was good for its time' kind of way, though I am sucker for Kubrick in general (his best movie is Barry Lyndon BTW, its one of the greatest pieces of cinema ever created).

It's absolutely wild that a movie from the 60's has better looking visual effects than a lot of the poo poo that is made today.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's absolutely wild that a movie from the 60's has better looking visual effects than a lot of the poo poo that is made today.

Yeah the sets were so well made for the ship etc. just look amazing.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
CGI pretty much made action sequence and action movies worse, probably a lot worse.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Its not that surprising when he had access to all of the resources of the US federal government and NASA in particular.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
old movies rock

having the benefit of decades of hindsight and a huge, diverse library to choose from, i dont know why anyone with sense would just keep mainlining the algorithm of crap

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

dreezy posted:

old movies rock

having the benefit of decades of hindsight and a huge, diverse library to choose from, i dont know why anyone with sense would just keep mainlining the algorithm of crap

New movies rock too. It's hard to explain why things feel different now, but I think it's basically that there's no movie magic anymore? When you can do literally anything with computers, you lose that sense of wonder and being blown away by seeing something on a big screen. Nolan, Villeneuve, and Tom fuckin Cruise are the only ones I can think of that are even trying to do that anymore.

edit: Related to that is the fact there's no movie stars anymore. It's all about that IP, baby.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 17, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Barry Lyndon was 1975.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

dreezy posted:

old movies rock

Old movies are also neat for seeing something embedding the worldview of the time when it was made. Citizen Kane for example was 1941, that movie was made during world war 2, they have no idea the world to come, or if there would even be one.

M was shot during the Weimar Republic, before the Nazi party was even a thing, before WW2, before computers existed, before transistors existed. Just a completely different time, with however the filmmakers thought of the world around them frozen in time in the movie a hundred years later.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Two completely unrelated thoughts:

Re watching movies being different now.
Been thinking about this a lot and it is literally because there's no magic anymore. And I don't mean because of CG etc, but as a direct result of YouTube/podcasts (ie it's Stoklasa's fuckin fault). There's a huge, huge industry which is literally just explaining the magic trick for every type of art. At best it's something like Nerdwriter which lovingly deconstructs exactly how and why the magician cut the lady in half, the technical feats involved, the intended emotional response built into the theatrics etc. At worst it's cinema sins poo poo which is just a clapping seal yelling "haha you were thrilled when the magician cut the woman in half but she's not even dead you loving Idiot!!!!" I think both are detrimental though.

More Dune thoughts:
It's pretty wild that this massive populist sci fi epic has the Taliban as the good guys, capital as the villains, and the main character's super power is literally just multi culturalism. It also spends half it's run time making GBS threads on religion. An American could never have made this.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Finally saw Dune pt. 2, first of all, holy poo poo shut the gently caress up.

Second of all, its kind of funny how every Fremen character is doing an exaggerated Middle Eastern accent and "LEAD US TO OUR PROMISED LAND OUR LONG AWAITED LISAN AL GAIB" flowery speech patterns, and then Zendaya is there and she's just, like, American.

Zendaya/Channi is a NORTHERN Fremen.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I loving loathe your av Kingo

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

sure okay posted:

:yeah:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCyrKJg-1VM

Remembered this and made me laugh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

These guys rule

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

sure okay posted:

$5 to make your dreams come true

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

That post feels like foreshadowing and I immediately regret it

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Watch Citizen Kane for the first time and after you'll go "Ohhhhhhh... there's about 200 Simpsons jokes I understand better now."

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
looks like tupac mixed with handsome squidward

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Watch Citizen Kane for the first time and after you'll go "Ohhhhhhh... there's about 200 Simpsons jokes I understand better now."

Citizen Kane and The Godfather are like skeleton keys to understanding pop culture.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Knowing how movies are made is good

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does Dan Aykroyd always play straight guy against other SNL cast? Does he play cunning scammer in any comedy?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

the year was 2009, and hackers film 1995 was of the mind that any movie made before the 60s (arguably late 50s) aint worth poo poo. but a viewing of citizen kane changed all that because it was fuckin dazzling. remove the bird jump scare and its nearly perfect.

also i watched metropolis a few years later and it fuckin owned

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Also Animaniacs and a bunch of other kids cartoons. A bunch of people who make kids cartoons are cinema nerds apparently.

Who would of thought!!!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does Dan Aykroyd always play straight guy against other SNL cast? Does he play cunning scammer in any comedy?

My friend, let me tell you about a little gem called Nothing But Trouble

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

dr_rat posted:

Also Animaniacs and a bunch of other kids cartoons. A bunch of people who make kids cartoons are cinema nerds apparently.

Who would of thought!!!

The 90s truly was a golden period of cartoons having endless, very open references to Orson Welles that no kid watching them would get, certainly not me.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

FeculentWizardTits posted:

My friend, let me tell you about a little gem called Nothing But Trouble

Hahahaha, one of my favorite fever dream movies. Dunno which adult let me watch that as a kid

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen Citizen Kane in totality, but I took a film class where the professor ran down like 40 loving things that were invented in that movie. Like he'd show a 2 second clip and be like "This is the first time this ever happened in a movie. They had to engineer a new type of camera and lens to get this 2-second shot" and it would be something you've seen a million times since then. So I think watching it you'd probably be bored because people have been copying the techniques for 80 years, but watching it in 1941 you probably would have had your mind blown.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
And the cane from citizen Kane!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sunk Dunk posted:

And the cane from citizen Kane!

Fun fact!: As the cane was made from candy they need to make dozens of them as they kept melting under the hot studio lights and constantly needed to be replaced.

This is why you can also see lots of ants crawling all over the sets if you look closely.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PostNouveau posted:

I haven't seen Citizen Kane in totality, but I took a film class where the professor ran down like 40 loving things that were invented in that movie. Like he'd show a 2 second clip and be like "This is the first time this ever happened in a movie. They had to engineer a new type of camera and lens to get this 2-second shot" and it would be something you've seen a million times since then. So I think watching it you'd probably be bored because people have been copying the techniques for 80 years, but watching it in 1941 you probably would have had your mind blown.
I also watched it in film class so I have more of an appreciation for it than a regular person who has no connection to the film besides hearing that it is the 'greatest movie ever made'. It's a good character study and Orson Welles is great.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, if you want to see a good film watch the worst film ever made. Now that's amazing.

:vince:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Whorelord posted:

12 Angry Men is from the 50s and still very good, although not all of The Men get all that angry really

Brilliant direction story. They gave Lumet a $65,000 set budget for that flick. He spent $12,000 renting a conference room and pocketed the rest, classic scumbag move

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

they should reboot it and launch the angry cinematic universe

wait, that's just the fast and the furious nm

edit: they should call the 12th one "12 furious men"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

11 angry men is the prequel

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ocean's Eleven Angry Men.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

ANGRY M12N

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Some sleazy executive: “Make it 24 Angry Men! That’ll get the kids to look up from their phones!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

"And throw Zendaya in there, something for the dads!"