Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I wonder what hats off psycho poo poo is going to play after the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1769166568892637550
no smoking.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Jesus Christ. Good riddance and a very merry ominous drone shadow and fall out of a loving airplane to the rapist army.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

steinrokkan posted:

I wonder if crippling the generation of reproductive age people will help in alleviating the looming demographic crisis :thunk:

Probably not, but it seems to be worse in Ukraine by a whole lot. This article is some seriously depressive reading

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/03/15/ukraine-village-mobilized-men-war/

You have to be a very special kind of lovely human to participate in forced conscription of civillians, regardless of nationality

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://packaged-media.redd.it/4ryg...5413fc30c2b#t=0

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
Without Putin, Lukashenko will immediately find himself in The Hague. That’s if he’s lucky and doesn’t go out the way Gaddafi did.

Without Russia’s support, his regime would collapse within a year. Putin has genuine support from a significant sector of Russia’s population, Lukashenko has almost none from Belarusians. The way the 2020-21 protests were put down was horrific.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

If your country doesn't have masked, armed men looking over your shoulder in the voting booth, it just isn't a democratic tankie utopia

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

FPV real time controlled cruise missile quadcopter is a technical or not?

If it was purpose-built then no, but if it was a commercial drone modified with weapons then yes.
Bonus points if it was already secondhand when it was modified.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys

You sunk my battleship

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Shinjobi posted:

just makes me wonder if we ever reach a point where the leeches wonder if it ain't worth it anymore

The second the blood money runs out

:stare: 33% of their refineries gone :stare:

That blood money is gonna run out fast

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Vampire Panties posted:

They mostly export unrefined crude oil. This has very little impact on their foreign sales.

The issue is that as they mostly refined unrefined crude, most of their refinery capacity exists to serve domestic demand, and they do not have all that much excess capacity. And demand goes up in a war.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

If they are destroying all the actual cracking towers when they hit the refineries things are going to get very complicated very quickly. :blyat: :ukraine:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Tuna-Fish posted:

They mostly export unrefined crude oil. This has very little impact on their foreign sales.

The issue is that as they mostly refined unrefined crude, most of their refinery capacity exists to serve domestic demand, and they do not have all that much excess capacity. And demand goes up in a war.

Do you think importing more refined products could cost more money, now that their internal (and likely irreplaceable) refineries are being eliminated? :allears:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Vampire Panties posted:

Do you think importing more refined products could cost more money, now that their internal (and likely irreplaceable) refineries are being eliminated? :allears:

Who are they going to import from? The countries that had all the extra refinery capacity that they used to export to are sanctioning them.

What I'm saying is that this is worse for them than costing a lot of money.

Their domestic supply chain is inefficient and therefore has a lot of slack, which is why this isn't that visible yet, but even if Ukraine stopped the strikes right now I'd expect that by summer they would have to ration domestic gasoline and diesel sales.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 17, 2024

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

How extensive is the damage from one attack and how quickly can it be repaired? It would probably be a mistake to assume that one large fireball means an entire refinery is gone.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

beer_war posted:

How extensive is the damage from one attack and how quickly can it be repaired? It would probably be a mistake to assume that one large fireball means an entire refinery is gone.

:iiam:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tuna-Fish posted:

Running out of diesel/petrol might even be worse for them than running out of money. Putin can just stop paying pensions and people will survive somehow (like they did in the 90s). Can't survive without fuel though. People can't get to work, food can't be distributed to processing center or shops, factories can't produce without working logistics, etc.

I wonder how large their strategic diesel reserves are and how much they can import from China or through ports.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Tuna-Fish posted:

This is a myth. Refined products are still a significant part of Russian fossil fuel exports, amounting to a 1/3 of total petroleum exports and 1/2 of seaborne trade.

The refined petroleum market is also much more diversified than the crude market, where China and India have a lot of leverage over Russia.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Gasoline/petrol was banned on exporting a few weeks back.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

beer_war posted:

Ukraine appears to be targeting the distillation towers, which is neither cheap nor easy to replace.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

beer_war posted:

The towers are the refinery. All the other poo poo is for supplying raw material, catalysts, and the output product. Fluid Catalytic Cracking is complex as gently caress. Assuming they were gasoline refineries, the towers would likely need to be replaced.

However, Diesel refineries use thermal cracking which is effectively a huge still, so those could likely be repaired or replaced in-country. Repairs and/or replacements would be complicated and require a high degree of manufacturing skill because they're boiling crude oil to 750° and collecting very specific vapours.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Clearly this means all the gasoline Russia is making and smuggling is just worth that much more money all going into Putin's pockets due to scarcity :bitcoin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EorayMel posted:

Clearly this means all the gasoline Russia is making and smuggling is just worth that much more money all going into Putin's pockets due to scarcity :bitcoin:

Jeans and fish as a barter system shall reign supreme again.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

bob dobbs is dead posted:

dictators have to be more neurotic than democratic leaders about legitimacy. therefore, they have lots more bling and weird legitimacy stuff that they need to do. you can literally tell dictators and democratic presidents apart visually, usually: cf. gadaffi with the medal-pile and all that. this was most extreme with kings, who obviously had the most bling of anyone in human history

legitimacy is intensely culture-specific. american presidents need to go to the iowa state fair and eat hot dogs. british and japanese prime ministers need to go kiss the monarch's rear end, but the monarch also needs to intensely and conspicuously do nothing. etc. you gotta proclaim your descent from dangun wanggeom by way of kim il-sung in north korea. for a thousand years there in catholic lands the pope had to be cool with you if you were a king. etc.

this election is not legitimate in and of itself, but it's a way to try to gain legitimacy by spending money. therefore, it's just basically a refined sorta bling

Is there like some study of this stuff?
I've been very curious about it since I had jury duty and realized the whole place is dressed up in dollar store opulence so you take the judge seriously.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

GABA ghoul posted:

I wonder how large their strategic diesel reserves are

They span several opulent floors with extensive under ground parking in Knightsbridge central London, Beverly Hills and Monaco thank you for asking.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Most of this is to gently caress up russian domestic oil as well as gently caress up russian war effort. Tanks and doofwagons need guzzoleeen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vampire Panties posted:

The towers are the refinery. All the other poo poo is for supplying raw material, catalysts, and the output product. Fluid Catalytic Cracking is complex as gently caress. Assuming they were gasoline refineries, the towers would likely need to be replaced.

However, Diesel refineries use thermal cracking which is effectively a huge still, so those could likely be repaired or replaced in-country. Repairs and/or replacements would be complicated and require a high degree of manufacturing skill because they're boiling crude oil to 750° and collecting very specific vapours.

Yeah, the Ukrainians can just keep tapping these sites with drones. I am sure they will hit all the ones they can all over Russia. Drones with dumb Donna are pretty easy to get apparently so far.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1769293912416342316
They look very well for people who supposedly died 4 times already.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

A picture as real as Russian election results.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Ouch.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://x.com/DefMon3/status/1769418770471174241?s=20

Bit more helpful than that Bingo card. That's a lot of red!

Edit: someone posted this Google Map in the replies where another user keeps track on the refinery "incidents" among other things. Really helps in getting a handle on how far Ukraine can reach with their drones and how much damage they are doing.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...69260156266&z=6

beer_war fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 17, 2024

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

beer_war posted:

I'm sure these facilities will be repaired promptly. It’s not as if Russia were stupid enough to draft highly skilled workers and send them into a meatgrinder of a war.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Oh look, Putin won another election. :rolleyes: Totally a normal country.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So, uh, it sure seems like these long range drones might be a strategic problem for Russia. I don't know the success rate overall, but it seems pretty high for Ukraine, and even if Russians start putting air defense in at these refineries, the damage here is already done at what looks like >50% of the refineries (if not fully effecting them), and Ukraine could move to target another critical part of the petroleum or energy logistics train that is still unprotected if need be. Also, the tempo seems pretty high, even if ongoing sortie rate is half of this, that seems pretty bad for Russia.

Like if I was Russia, I'd be freaking out if something like 30% of my petroleum distillation capacity in the western part was gone in a few weeks.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

The people just love their emperor. Of course you stupid Westoids wouldn't understand.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

beer_war posted:

The people just love their emperor. Of course you stupid Westoids wouldn't understand.

That orange crane's operator's station lol

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

beer_war posted:

I had a Russian internet friend in the 2000s and this is literally what he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Bone Crimes posted:

So, uh, it sure seems like these long range drones might be a strategic problem for Russia. I don't know the success rate overall, but it seems pretty high for Ukraine, and even if Russians start putting air defense in at these refineries, the damage here is already done at what looks like >50% of the refineries (if not fully effecting them), and Ukraine could move to target another critical part of the petroleum or energy logistics train that is still unprotected if need be. Also, the tempo seems pretty high, even if ongoing sortie rate is half of this, that seems pretty bad for Russia.

Like if I was Russia, I'd be freaking out if something like 30% of my petroleum distillation capacity in the western part was gone in a few weeks.

Russia also doesn't seem like it is capable of repairing or rebuilding most of these things in a cheap or timely manner, even though it's Russia's cash crop/most lucrative industry outside of concentrated human misery and they'd probably prioritize construction there. Maybe if they took some of the anti air systems away from Moscow or at least St. Petersburg and put them closer to more industrial towns and refineries things wouldn't look so lovely for Russia, but I guess there's just not enough AA stuff to cover all the areas and Putin probably factored in the loss of respect by having to scatter AA around more cities after all the talk about Ukraine being incompetent and Russia being untouchable. Even if most of the sanctions are ignored or circumvented it is pretty hard to sell gas/oil/energy under the table to buyers when you don't have any gas/oil/energy to sell in the first place.

If these strikes keep up like this for another month the idea Russia would probably have to start rationing gas/vehicles if Russia wasn't already doing so doesn't seem unlikely at all