Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Senua 1 is a wonderful, dark-ish experience that supposedly does a lot to simulate borderline/schizo/psychotic ways to view the world, and for that alone it's worth playing (just beware what you're getting into). It's interesting that some view it as horror, this is what some people with mental illness or disorders live with, according to the psych scientists and some patients who helped develop the game. (look up the documentaries after you've finished it). It's definitely... maybe "tough to watch" in some moments. Triggering?

As a pure game it really kinda sucks. It really is at its best in the "walking simulator" parts. The combat is just bad, the puzzles kinda suck. It commits the cardinal level design sin of using puzzles that "block" some path, but visually they're not really blocking the path with something believable (like it's just a piece of wood blocking a doorway), or placing levers just a bit out of reach where any normal person would just stretch a bit, or put their arm through the cage, or jump a bit, etc. I really dislike that and hope they fix it in the sequel. I still got past the puzzles but I mostly did not enjoy.

And yet, I would absolutely recommend playing it, it definitely stirred up some feelings while playing it. The ending song, the whole sequence at the last part, oof, getting to understand a bit of Senua's mind, some powerful moments. Senua the character is so wonderful, so vulnerable and full of weaknesses, but also strong and inspiring.

It's quite a journey, and it's not even that long, definitely give it a shot, but hopefully when you want to experience something a bit emotionally challenging (also super rewarding)

I agree with all that, which is why I'm so confused that it's getting a Big Sequel. Like was I supposed to take the events of the first game literally and she's a big action star?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AAA development baby!!!

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Did you finish it? I feel like anyone who would call it boring probably played it for like 45 minutes.
I beat it and hated it. Just doesn't have enough enemy types for an action game making every fight incredibly repetitive, it's very dingy all the time in a way that's not fun to look at, the story beats aren't interesting and the sequence where you're running through the place that's on fire was awful. It is the single worst game I've played since 2020 out of 150+.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This is just that developer's deal. Gimmicky face mocap going all the way back to their big Sony exclusive starring Andy serkis, shallow gameplay, basically just want to make movies with extremely simple gameplay bridging the gap between cutscenes.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I never got the hype around the Mental illness asmr game. It does look pretty but I’ve got my own voices to listen to if I want.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it's biggest issue is that it does tread that line between walking sim and action game that managed to piss some people off. It has puzzles/combat/and exploration but it's all pretty bare bones. If you go in expecting an all out AAA action game, maybe yeah you'll be disappointed. If you go in knowing it's sort of a walking sim+™ I think it succeeds. People say the combat is bad but I really don't think it is. It's very simple but I thought it felt chunky and pretty visceral. The puzzles are also pretty simple but challenging enough to stump me occasionally.

So yeah if you want it to be God Of War maybe it's disappointing, but if you are coming in just to soak up the vibes I think it's got a lot of cool and original poo poo going on.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I got three games coming out on 21st that I need to play. Hellblade 2, System Shock, and Hyperdimensional Neptune Sisters vs Sisters.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I really liked what they did with Senua’s arm, the aspect of “every time you die, this necrotic rot spreads further down your arm, and if it reaches your shoulder you’ll die permanently”. Really interesting way to implement a feeling of serious danger.

Endgame spoiler:
Except it literally does nothing, you can’t permanently die from it as most people figure out. It’s just another way your mind is loving with you

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like how the Control cutscenes just used FMV in a lot of parts instead of jank rear end mocap

Professor Darling 4evah

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

webmeister posted:

I really liked what they did with Senua’s arm, the aspect of “every time you die, this necrotic rot spreads further down your arm, and if it reaches your shoulder you’ll die permanently”. Really interesting way to implement a feeling of serious danger.
Also the only time you're just told about a mechanic through onscreen text addressing the player, which I thought was a bit clunky especially if the mechanic isn't real in the first place, have the voices tell you this instead, felt like a last minute addition

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I admit I am a stupidly impatient person when it comes to video games, you have maybe an hour, at most, to hook me. If you don't then I'm out, I don't care if I had just gotten to hour two or three it would have been the best, I'm not doing it. The equivalent of giving a show til the second episode to get good tbh.

priznat posted:

I like how the Control cutscenes just used FMV in a lot of parts instead of jank rear end mocap

Professor Darling 4evah

Control is just fun and entertaining, a lovely amalgamation of all those silly 80s/90s media. The built in assists definitely give the "just enjoy the ride" vibe.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Senuas Sacrifice is firmly in my pile named "games people recommended to me as amazing, but very much did not click for me and abandoned after 1h". Sadly Prey is also in that pile, I really wanted to like it. I hope I can still pull Cyberpunk 2077 out of it. :(

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hellblade's cutscenes felt mostly like a neurotypical's popculture-driven understanding of what psychosis looks like, but apparently they had consultants and poo poo

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Hellblade has like a 20 minute intro that can’t be skipped iirc

Just on a raft going down a river
For loving ever

The combat I thought was awesome and felt violent.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

House Flipper 2 is coming to Xbox next week.

Nice.

Also, the Xbox Spring Sale usually happens around this time of year. So hold on a bit if you were planning to buy something.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 16, 2024

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Everyone needs to play Control Ultimate Edition on their Xbox Series X right now.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I tried. Would've been a good tv show - as a game, didn't work for me.

Meaning, the interesting bits didn't involve superpowered murdery.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just making everything in office environments explode everywhere makes control an all timer for me, but the lore is also really neat.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Sandepande posted:

I tried. Would've been a good tv show - as a game, didn't work for me.

Meaning, the interesting bits didn't involve superpowered murdery.

Yeaaah I am debating whether I should continue playing it, the combat somehow feels wonky and annoying. Perhaps that‘s why I stopped playing the free Epic store version, I can‘t quite remember.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

American McGay posted:

Everyone needs to play Control Ultimate Edition on their Xbox Series X right now.

:emptyquote:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

American McGay posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

control is so good. maybe remedy's best game

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

American McGay posted:

I am playing it. I'm mostly in it for the weird and paranormal stuff and to explore the Oldest House, so I turned off the combat.

It feels like an SCP story, very cool.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

i still need to finish The Foundation DLC D:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can’t play control yet, need to finish cyberpunk

Hope it stays around on games pass

Also, hoping Ms drops a series X one pro 360 after seeing the ps5 pro leaks. If rockstar is gonna a be an rear end in a top hat and delay gta6 pc a while I might have to slum it on console

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shadow of Chernobyl whips rear end but the end game is absolute trash lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

control is so good. maybe remedy's best game
I tend to think so. AW2 and MP2 are the only competitors for me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

American McGay posted:

I finished the standard version, is the ultimate version worth playing ? What does it add to the overall experience?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I finished the standard version, is the ultimate version worth playing ? What does it add to the overall experience?
It includes the two story DLCs, The Foundation and AWE

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

If you haven't yet, play Control. If you've already finished the normal game, the dlc is nice but not really worth re-buying or replaying the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I tend to think so. AW2 and MP2 are the only competitors for me

Mp2 I adore but I thought AW2 completely shat the bed in the final act

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Sad! AW2 was a masterpiece which only grows the more I think about it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That last hour was dogshit, they clearly ran out of money

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Seemed consistent with the rest of the game to me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alan Wake was not very good and then the ending was very not good.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

If you don’t like controls’s combat and just want to take the ride turn on the god mode stuff in the accessibility options and blast through the game.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Kaboobi posted:

If you don’t like controls’s combat and just want to take the ride turn on the god mode stuff in the accessibility options and blast through the game.

Yeah, this. I'm playing it like a walking sim and it's way more fun.

Options used : Immortality and 1-hit kills.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I don't think it shat the bed that hard but the best part of the game is exploring new areas so it sucks when you run out of new areas to explore. It's not like a metroidvania where you get excited to find items in old areas you've been through already.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pinning up photos to a wall for an hour and then walking for five minutes around a pallette-swap map was pretty bad if we’re being honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Pinning up photos to a wall for an hour and then walking for five minutes around a pallette-swap map was pretty bad if we’re being honest

Maybe they should have called it Alan Walk 2