Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Watching that Netflix The Gentleman series and I am a sucker for Guy Richie gangster stuff so I dig it. I didn’t like the movie that much but prefer this. Vinnie Jones is especially good, he’s really aged into a pretty dignified career, surprising after lock stock and Snatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
Can't wait for the 12 Angry Men vs Dirty Dozen crossover!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

piratepilates posted:

Old movies are also neat for seeing something embedding the worldview of the time when it was made. Citizen Kane for example was 1941, that movie was made during world war 2, they have no idea the world to come, or if there would even be one.

M was shot during the Weimar Republic, before the Nazi party was even a thing, before WW2, before computers existed, before transistors existed. Just a completely different time, with however the filmmakers thought of the world around them frozen in time in the movie a hundred years later.
I assume everyone knows this one, but Casablanca was also shot during WWII, and Peter Lorre, Paul Henreid, Conrad Veidt, and, like, a lot of extras and bit players were actual European expats, many who fled to the U.S. to escape nazi persecution

so in the famous scene where Laszlo instructs the band to play La Marseillaise to drown out the nazis, one of the reasons it hits so hard is the people playing emotionally overwhelmed frenchmen are just actual refugees shedding real tears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-E2H1ChJM

e: and of course Rick giving that curt little nod is a great character moment, but at the time was also some pretty bangin propaganda- the american protagonist, after a long period of self-imposed neutrality and isolation, finally reaches the point where he can't stand on the sidelines anymore and heroically sides against the nazis, in december 1941 lol :911:

Cubone fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 17, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
12 angry women

because of the woke

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
So after seeing Dune there aren't a whole lot of movies to be released that I'm actually looking forward to.

Thankfully one of the cinemas near me has released their upcoming program for the year so I'll be looking forward to the following...

Banshees of Inisherin
Suspiria (Remake)
Godfather
Train to Busan
Alien and Aliens grindhouse double feature
Moonlight
King of Comedy
Rosemary's Baby
The Crow
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Fly
Ghostbusters
The Terminator

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

That's a drat fine lineup

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I always loved grumpier old men as a kid and thought it was a sequel to 12 Angry Men

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

That DICK! posted:

I always loved grumpier old men as a kid and thought it was a sequel to 12 Angry Men

The two grump men in that were grump due to misplaced emotion turning sadness over there 10 angry friends all being dead into being grumpy jerks.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

More Dune thoughts:
It's pretty wild that this massive populist sci fi epic has the Taliban as the good guys, capital as the villains, and the main character's super power is literally just multi culturalism. It also spends half it's run time making GBS threads on religion. An American could never have made this.

hell yeah

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCH9jvbgMIQ

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Thank you for posting this. Her channel is amazing for so many reasons. I watched almost every video of
Deuandra's premier party videos for Diamond Cobra vs the White Fox.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just got that Puppet Master box set. Feeding my inner Jay if you will

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Orson Welles told a kind of funny story about how he really didn’t want to make movies, and he only started liking film after he started making the movie. So he just kept asking for more and more control over the first picture, and the studio kept giving it to him because they’re really wanted hints until he got full authority over the movie. And the reason he invented all these shots is that he didn’t know they were considered impossible, through sheer ignorance. So he had a good crew that would just make whatever he was imagining actually happen.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
remember when animaniacs did an entire segment that was just orson welles' real voiceover outtake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uWW--w4SRs

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 17, 2024

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The Start Trek TNG bluray set is awesome. Where my DS9 now?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does Dan Aykroyd always play straight guy against other SNL cast? Does he play cunning scammer in any comedy?

he plays one of the "Moch" Brothers in The Campaign

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

billymumphrey posted:

So after seeing Dune there aren't a whole lot of movies to be released that I'm actually looking forward to.

Uhhh, what about Deadpool 3?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

No. 6 posted:

The Start Trek TNG bluray set is awesome. Where my DS9 now?

One downside of it is having Best of Both Worlds as a single movie instead of as separate episodes the way it should be so you get the musical sting at the end of part 1.

I love that she's using stock YouTube music for her movie trailers when she's a musician who could just make her own music for her own movie trailers.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Saw Dream Scenario on Max. I liked the vibe of the filming locations and sets and color palette, and it had a weird, restrained tone that made it feel silly and mysterious and vaguely threatening. Nic Cage farts and cums in his pants. The song in the closing credits is from True Stories. Definitely worth a watch.

I saw Vampire’s Kiss last weekend, Dream Scenario this weekend; I think I need to watch The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent next weekend so I can have a trinity of single Cage weekends.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 17, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent is weird because it feels like, out of all of his performances, that’s the one Cage put the least of himself in.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Gripweed posted:

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent is weird because it feels like, out of all of his performances, that’s the one Cage put the least of himself in.

That’s funny. How is it?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

beware
bebrave
bewise

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

big catch for Deuandra to get the remake rights to Doom House

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Dijkstracula posted:

big catch for Deuandra to get the remake rights to Doom House

poo poo, maybe she's the one that posted stuff on Lowtax's YouTube channel last year.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

Two completely unrelated thoughts:

Re watching movies being different now.
Been thinking about this a lot and it is literally because there's no magic anymore.

This is absurd. Like taking an art appreciation class makes you less able to enjoy art because know you know more about it.

I like to see the wizards fuckin do their work, cast their magic and I love knowing what components they used to cast it and why. It makes me want to do wizard poo poo too and when I make my magic I'm always happy to share how I did it.

I guess if magic to you is just ignorance of how things work or get made, then sure, the magic of the world is lessened every time you learn literally anything but why bother fostering that for yourself? There's a lot more richness in the hows and whys of things than just going "idk lol."

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gutcruncher posted:

hey sexy. hot amateur girls are ready to get off for you
HOW DO I GET A PUPPET MASTER TOY

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

khwarezm posted:

Its not that surprising when he had access to all of the resources of the US federal government and NASA in particular.

lol

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I guess if magic to you is just ignorance of how things work or get made, then sure, the magic of the world is lessened every time you learn literally anything but why bother fostering that for yourself? There's a lot more richness in the hows and whys of things than just going "idk lol."

You say that but most people aren't able to handle the truth.

Such as the fact that Mike and the boys are actually from Winchester England, and their American slob façade was meticulously crafted for decades on London's West End theatre circuit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao yeah England, famously a real place. Nevermind there is no movie depicting England until well after studios existed to simulate the fantasy island.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just watched Dream Scenario and that was a big disappointment. I wish I could have actually seen a Sprite ad campaign featuring Nic Cage.

LocalMews
Mar 15, 2024
Folks of the RLM thread, the content drought is almost over, since we got a Patreon Update:

Hello, today marks the day I shall complete the latest episode of Wheel of the Worst (posting date TBD). Clocking in at 90 minutes it's a long one, but we had some bangers and some fun discussions. This one is sure to offend someone. well mostone. Prepare yourselves for the nightmare to come. I've included this still to show the sheer shock and disbelief of one Richard Evans as he realizes a tape on the wheel is indeed real. Get ready to throw up in your bloomers, dummies. -Krebs Gorlon.

Rich Evans looks pretty damned shocked in the image included in the update.

Also Joe Camp, director of the Benji movies died.

https://www.deadline.com/2024/03/joe-camp-dead-benji-1235859874/

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Begone Satan

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

a 90 min wheel of the worst? dont mind if i do

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

LocalMews posted:

Folks of the RLM thread, the content drought is almost over, since we got a Patreon Update:

Hello, today marks the day I shall complete the latest episode of Wheel of the Worst (posting date TBD). Clocking in at 90 minutes it's a long one, but we had some bangers and some fun discussions. This one is sure to offend someone. well mostone. Prepare yourselves for the nightmare to come. I've included this still to show the sheer shock and disbelief of one Richard Evans as he realizes a tape on the wheel is indeed real. Get ready to throw up in your bloomers, dummies. -Krebs Gorlon.

Lmao ok I’m back on board with this gimmick

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

LocalMews posted:

thanks man, aprpeciate your contributions. i knew i had a feeling this new wheel ep would have some bangers. we were due goddammit! DUE!!!! interested to see what the tape in question is. as much as theyve talked about how a black spine could just be someones home movie, almost all the tapes they do were intended for commercial sale or meant to be seen. i can only imagine how many legitimate home movies people have sent them that they have to pre screen out. i wonder if they will cross that line into found footage

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Khanstant posted:

This is absurd. Like taking an art appreciation class makes you less able to enjoy art because know you know more about it.

I like to see the wizards fuckin do their work, cast their magic and I love knowing what components they used to cast it and why. It makes me want to do wizard poo poo too and when I make my magic I'm always happy to share how I did it.

For someone who takes it as the beginning of a journey and has a decent level of intelligence, curiosity, and self awareness then yes, you're absolutely right. For anyone else it's a Dunning Krueger machine that results in people saying stuff like "Steven Spielberg is incompetent and Jurassic Park is objectively a Bad Movie because YouTube said there wasn't a cliff and then there was a cliff". I've got pretty bad news about the make up of the general population.

Maybe I could have picked a better analogy (or you can just disagree with me, or I might even be an idiot on the internet), but can you honestly not see a change in how people relate to art and movies in particular over the last decade or two? Because for me it seems like a much, much more combative relationship from normies. There's a sense of fear of being "tricked" by a movie and finding out later that the movie made a mistake. A fear of looking the fool for saying you like a movie ten minutes before the cinema sins bells start ringing. People seem way more inclined to watch a movie looking for faults and seams, generally missing the actual ones (see previous discussion of Dune drone shot) and then applying the idea of the film makers incompetence to their own failings. Then they get to feel smarter then the Hollywood big shots and tell everyone on earth they could have done a better job (they couldn't).

Again, the cool, good, and media literate posters in the RLM thread don't tend to do this because they have enough context and understanding to parse what's going on and understand that being able to name something (call to action, plot twist etc) doesn't actually make it bad. Even cine d posters get this, they're just all contrarian drug addicts.

The people who decide if movies get made, are not rlm thread posters. They're normies, and they want normies to go to the movies. And normies with that power, armed with that lovely, combative, "my failings are the films fault", fear of liking something that gets made fun of for dumb reasons on the internet, attitude, are why we have the film industry we currently do.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/bigmonkeong/status/1769394158966305023

Even Sony is scoring points off of Marvel now.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

yeah I agree. the idea that "ignorance is bliss" is a bourgeois lie. it's only "true" because people repeat it mindlessly

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gutcruncher posted:

Not bad. Out of the thirteen Puppet Masters, four of them are sort of watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I love that she's using stock YouTube music for her movie trailers when she's a musician who could just make her own music for her own movie trailers.

She can't use her own music, otherwise she'd have to give her channel a copyright strike.