Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thanks guys. I'm gonna give Way of the Monk a go (and Animated Armory while I'm at it). I wanna keep it simple, earlier in the week I was trying to add a mod that kept leading me to lists of other required mods, I was like five levels deep when it threw up a list of 8 other mods I needed and then I just deleted the whole bunch in disgust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
I just wanted to make a video to show how pretty and soothing these weathers are. drat reavers :argh:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Not me trying to find out which loving mod is crashing the game before the title screen menu can load and not knowing how to read the crash logger log files. :smith:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That's a missing master error. You have a plug-in installed that's dependent on a plugin either not installed or below it in the load order.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Might also be a bad bsa file. I'd run into this when running skyrim LE mods in SE. A lot of them were straight compatible, but the bsa format must have changed slightly. If that's the case you can usually just extract the bsa and delete the original file.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
infinite loading screen.

Its joever.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Running Nolvus with 100+ hours into my save I've just come to live with the crashes. Sometimes the game crashes after 3 hours. Sometimes it crashes after 10 minutes. Sometimes it spawns a dragon indoors behind a wall so neither of us can attack each other.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Pretty happy with the lack of crashes in my current modlist. Only thing is a very occasional freeze up that seems to mostly happen in the overworld. Whatever, it's rare and it takes like ten seconds to get back in

celestial teapot posted:

I just wanted to make a video to show how pretty and soothing these weathers are. drat reavers :argh:

Lol

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I probably have myself to blame for adding a couple hundred of mods ontop of Nolvus.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So I managed, after quite a bit of work, to get the game to load but now I've run into a new problem: I can't move. The game simply refuses to recognize movement keys. I've checked, double-checked, and triple-checked everything related to controllers (it's off in the in-game menu, disabled in the .ini files in both the MyGames folder and MO2 -- just in case -- and I even went ahead and disabled SteamInput for Skyrim), but I still can't loving move. It doesn't recognize mouse or keyboard buttons at all, all I can do is look around.

I have no loving idea what is causing this and it's infuriating, because the game is otherwise working.

Incidentally, my previous problem was related to OAR not playing nice with Vanargard animations, I guess? I dunno. I removed the Vanargard stuff and it allowed the game to load, that's all I know.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Have you tested consoling tcl and/or tfc?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yep, also disabled the steam overlay (since I forgot to mention that and I know from past experience that it can cause weirdness with Skyrim). No luck thus far. The game only recognizes escape and tilde (for the console). All other keyboard/mouse buttons are ignored entirely.

Reading up on it a bit, it may be due to SkyUI? Apparently the last two patches (1130 and 1170, the latter of which I'm running) messed with menu files somewhat and I guess SkyUI needs an update for that? Or something? I'm going to look into it some more.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Gonkish posted:

So I managed, after quite a bit of work, to get the game to load but now I've run into a new problem: I can't move. The game simply refuses to recognize movement keys. I've checked, double-checked, and triple-checked everything related to controllers (it's off in the in-game menu, disabled in the .ini files in both the MyGames folder and MO2 -- just in case -- and I even went ahead and disabled SteamInput for Skyrim), but I still can't loving move. It doesn't recognize mouse or keyboard buttons at all, all I can do is look around.

I have no loving idea what is causing this and it's infuriating, because the game is otherwise working.

Incidentally, my previous problem was related to OAR not playing nice with Vanargard animations, I guess? I dunno. I removed the Vanargard stuff and it allowed the game to load, that's all I know.
Do your buttons work if try to launch a vanilla profile through MO2?

At least some of the Vanargand animations require OAR, so I'd be surprised if there was an incompatibility there. Some kind of Nemesis issue seems more likely. Or possibly a load order problem?

Eric the Mauve posted:

The more relevant question might be if he can open the console at all. If none of his keyboard input is registering the console key (or opening the menu, for that matter) wouldn't work either. e: Oh never mind

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Staltran posted:

Do your buttons work if try to launch a vanilla profile through MO2?

At least some of the Vanargand animations require OAR, so I'd be surprised if there was an incompatibility there. Some kind of Nemesis issue seems more likely. Or possibly a load order problem?

Loaded up my testing profile and disabled all mods: keyboard works again. So there's definitely either a conflict or a load order issue. Created another testing profile with everything enabled, and then sorted with LOOT just to see if that would help: keyboard non-responsive again. Went back to the basic test profile with everything disabled, turned on JUST SkyUI, and the keyboard works. So now I'm lost in completely different ways.

I didn't think about Nemesis, though. I may need to update that. I'll give that a go and report back.

EDIT: Updated/reinstalled Nemesis from scratch, and then ran it and did all the things to make it work. Loaded in, still no keyboard controls. Completely lost. Looks like I get to work through mods in batches to find the loving culprit now. Weeeeeee. :smith:

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 14, 2024

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bisecting is a very quick way of finding a bad item in a batch, whether it's mods or code or whatever.

Enable the first half of your mods, see if it works: if it does, enable half of the remaining mods, etc. If it doesn't work, enable all of the half that was originally disabled and disable half of what was originally enabled, etc. So at each step you have only half as many mods disabled as the last step.

That's logarithmic, so if you have 100 mods it'll take max 7 tries to find the bad one. 256 mods would be 8 tries.

What you're describing is not a bad situation though - at least 2 keys work and things work when your mods are disabled, that's really good as things go.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

v1ld posted:

Bisecting is a very quick way of finding a bad item in a batch, whether it's mods or code or whatever.

Enable the first half of your mods, see if it works: if it does, enable half of the remaining mods, etc. If it doesn't work, enable all of the half that was originally disabled and disable half of what was originally enabled, etc. So at each step you have only half as many mods disabled as the last step.

That's logarithmic, so if you have 100 mods it'll take max 7 tries to find the bad one. 256 mods would be 8 tries.

What you're describing is not a bad situation though - at least 2 keys work and things work when your mods are disabled, that's really good as things go.

Did this and I found it, finally: ENB Input Disabler is apparently disabling controls in the latest update. But hey, mystery solved!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Did this and I found it, finally: ENB Input Disabler is apparently disabling controls in the latest update. But hey, mystery solved!

well, it lived up to its name

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Gonkish posted:

The comments on that mod are mostly folks going "finally I freaking found the mod turning off all input!"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gonkish posted:

Okay, close the thread. We're not gonna top this.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Skyrim Modding: "finally I freaking found the mod turning off all input!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Okay, were you using a mod pack designed gamepads or did you build the list yourself?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skyrim Modding: ENB Input Disabler is apparently disabling controls in the latest update

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Okay, were you using a mod pack designed gamepads or did you build the list yourself?

To be fair, looking at the mod it’s a skse plugin that disables input to the game while the ENB editor is turned on. So it makes sense (although that’s personally never something I’ve had trouble with) to run in a regular install, it’s not a game pad thing being used while playing on keyboard and mouse.

It’s just very funny is all.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Gonkish posted:

Lmao

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

This is what I get for forgetting what mods I've installed. (This is my own mod list that I've just kinda smushed together over time, I don't even have the left pane in MO2 organized with dividers or anything, so it's an ungodly mess.) But hey, now I get to figure out if there's an alternative to loving PureDark's DRM bullshit so that I can use DLSS in Skyrim! Alternatively, I have to ditch ENB, I guess?

EDIT: Also, I should note that the mod was only supposed to disable inputs while the ENB options menu was open, because that was bugging out for me and making the game do weird poo poo previously and that was my "fix". Unfortunately, seems like it's bugged to gently caress in version 1170 and just fucks all your inputs at all times, forever.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 15, 2024

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I don’t think the DLSS mod for Skyrim has DRM.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Flowing Thot posted:

I don’t think the DLSS mod for Skyrim has DRM.

The one on the Nexus doesn't, but that one doesn't work with ENB. PureDark has a version that works with ENB, but it's only available through his Patreon and that has whatever DRM he uses. It's weird.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Gonkish posted:

The one on the Nexus doesn't, but that one doesn't work with ENB. PureDark has a version that works with ENB, but it's only available through his Patreon and that has whatever DRM he uses. It's weird.

I have the Patreon one I have never seen it have any DRM it didn’t ask for any kind of login or anything and was just hosted on Discord.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Flowing Thot posted:

I have the Patreon one I have never seen it have any DRM it didn’t ask for any kind of login or anything and was just hosted on Discord.

Depends on what version we're talking about here. Earlier versions didn't have any sort of DRM, but the latest ones absolutely do (and only the latest ones have been updated to 1130/1170).

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Things I do not trust: DRM added into mods.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
But think of the juicy drama that will come from that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Does anyone still care about fourth party ENB extensions now that Community Shaders has parallax, dynamic cubemaps, and subsurface scattering?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Caphi posted:

Does anyone still care about fourth party ENB extensions now that Community Shaders has parallax, dynamic cubemaps, and subsurface scattering?

I didn't even know this was a thing, but it is, and it works beautifully? What the hell? I have missed so much in the Skyrim mod scene. drat. Thanks for bringing this up.

Now I just need to find a Reshade preset that can approximate the color tone of Rudy ENB, because I liked that.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
So I decided to reinstall SE and finally try finishing this game, which led me to try out installing one of these huge graphical overhaul multipacks. I couldn't get my first choice to work via wabbajack/mo2, so I went with my second choice using the vortex "collections" method. It actually worked and looks a little nicer, but the author included mods to make all of the female companions/potential spouses look prettier (no guys though lol). And yeah, they are prettier, but this guy definitely had a type, and they all look they they're related and just had their hair done at the salon. I tried disabling the mods in question, but since it's vortex, they've all been permanently hit with the instagram model stick.

I also can't prove it, but I think it made all the redguards in the game have a lighter complexion.

I guess the moral of the story is if you want to download a curated list of 100's of mods mods, take a look at the underlying files and ask yourself if it wouldn't be easier to just download some texture swaps and ENBs instead of having 4k mountain rocks. Or don't use vortex.

I'm off to reinstall this game.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Caphi posted:

This is a bit of a holy war in the skyrim modding community right now.

Myself, I have not used ENB (too much trouble getting it to play nice with my video card drivers on linux). But CS works fine, and therefore I have lost interest in getting ENB working.

I would like to hear neutral perspectives from reasonable people who have used both, because I can't see much difference between what I see in my game vs screenshots of ENB. But there's so much horseshit drama involved, if I go into a discord and ask about this it just turns into a slap fight.

BigRoman posted:

don't use vortex.

This is what you just learned. Wait for nexusmods' new thing to ship. Until then it's wabbajack and MO2. Maybe after it ships too, but we'll see...

celestial teapot fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 17, 2024

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I'd probably try CS, but I don't want to tinker with the preinstalled modlist which is using ENB and risk breaking everything. Maybe the new version of Nolvus that is coming out soon will have a CS option. ENB guy is a shithead and it runs badly so would be nice to move away from it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

How well does Community Shaders do in enhancing shadows and ambient occlusion? That's the primary reason I used ENB as recently as year before last, not all the other stuff it or reshade come with.

The better shadows and AO have a big effect on graphical presentation. I used to run ENB with just those 2 enabled and even published a "preset" with just those enabled which was cheap to do even 10 years back: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34014

I'd be glad to see ENB go away along with all the drama that comes with it, but mods like Lux do much better if it is present - they can tweak the lighting model better.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Does Vortex not do a virtual file system with Skyrim? Because it absolutely has that capability and can do it with Starfield.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BigRoman posted:

So I decided to reinstall SE and finally try finishing this game, which led me to try out installing one of these huge graphical overhaul multipacks. I couldn't get my first choice to work via wabbajack/mo2, so I went with my second choice using the vortex "collections" method. It actually worked and looks a little nicer, but the author included mods to make all of the female companions/potential spouses look prettier (no guys though lol). And yeah, they are prettier, but this guy definitely had a type, and they all look they they're related and just had their hair done at the salon. I tried disabling the mods in question, but since it's vortex, they've all been permanently hit with the instagram model stick.

I also can't prove it, but I think it made all the redguards in the game have a lighter complexion.

I guess the moral of the story is if you want to download a curated list of 100's of mods mods, take a look at the underlying files and ask yourself if it wouldn't be easier to just download some texture swaps and ENBs instead of having 4k mountain rocks. Or don't use vortex.

I'm off to reinstall this game.

Almost every single graphic overhaul wabbajack I've used made both Redguards and Dunmer lighter skinned, and straightened all the Redguard hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Looking forward to Elder Scrolls VI: Hammerfell when ever so oddly enough the entire population of Redguards has been replaced by Nords and Bretons lol