Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
the only way you could say that preseason to 1 is the same as starting now and 4, is if the new itemization is complete dogshit and makes every character in the game worse because some andys were mad that some guy on twitch is doing big numbers that he couldnt figure out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

harrygomm posted:

this just leads to the thing everyone hated about preseason/season 1. if it's someone with a lot of time, they finish the story, see the old system for like a week then have to immediately reroll to be able to do the new seasonal stuff

if they have a million kids and wives, they showboat the story and their character gets moved to eternal and they go "oh finally i can do the new seasonal stuff. what do you mean i have to roll a new character and start over"

this is basically the same time gap as release -> S1 that was derided by a ton of people

You're playing Diablo, an arpg. It's supposed to do that.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
it's like everyone is trying to miss the point. i like the seasonality

however, people widely disliked the weird amount of time between launch and S1. the consensus being that S1 probably should have just coincided with launch

they are setting up a similar situation again.

they can easily avoid the similar situation, and potential negative sentiment, by putting the game on GP and releasing S4 at the same time.

did none of you play or read this thread at launch?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

No I get what you're saying but I think they played it right (likewise with game pass).

Seasons are defined by their seasonal gimmick. You cannot get the seasonal gimmick without finishing the campaign. So having time to finish that before S4 removes that fomo feeling of new seasonal content locked behind a demons head on a pike.

I liked the season 0 lag, let me chill through the campaign without worrying about seasonal stuff. Plus it's a good story, especially if you meander through side quests. Lose out on a lot of world building if you blaze through the campaign.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
seasons are 3 months long. that's more than enough time to leisurely finish the campaign, the battle pass, the season journey, the hidden objectives, level cap a character, and reroll if you want to. outside of the strawman with 1 million wives, i don't know anyone who was still worried about finishing the campaign in september.

most of the people here who still play seasons only engage with them for 2-5ish weeks, so that still leaves 2 months of time you can dedicate to trying out all the classes, getting all the lilith statues, getting zone wide completion up, and finishing the campaign

if i were going to introduce a bunch of people to my game, and i thought that S4 was going to be better than S3, id want to introduce them to the new, better systems and not the old ones that are almost universally disliked.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

harrygomm posted:

if i were going to introduce a bunch of people to my game, and i thought that S4 was going to be better than S3, id want to introduce them to the new, better systems and not the old ones that are almost universally disliked.

I think this is a more realistic concern, having people learn how items work and possibly dropping sweeping changes on them a few weeks later. Or it's a hint to us that the item changes won't actually be all that sweeping.

It always seemed to me like the people losing their minds over seasonal resets were a loud minority that were being amplified by gaming sites desperate for another article about the flavour of the month game. As soon as the first season started, all those incredulous "I have to make a new character!?!?" posts mysteriously dried up

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
“This game DELETES your characters every 3 months!!!”

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Maybe they're hoping thay the freshness of the game will keep them the first few weeks then the novelty of the attempt at making it good will keep them longer, getting five or six weeks out of these game pass people to maybe buy some cosmetics

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Popoto posted:

God that drama when d4 was having it's first season was great, though it does show how many new non arpg players it brought in. I don't think last epoch would be doing such crazy numbers without d4 capturing and then disappointing so many people. I think poe2s launch is going to be absolutely huge too because of it (and it'll be free)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I understand the arguments but I doubt there will be sweeping changes to items

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Diablo4 is half off already on steam. drat

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At last, we can finally say it is Diablo 2.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It'd be crazy for the bean counters to not string new players along in trying the game and then rolling a second class a few weeks later to see what a season is about. There's also a healthy point between people who rush the campaign as poopsockers with a casual 28 hour two day session and gamer dads juggling their two secret families and their 80 hour a week job who struggle to get in 30 minutes a day. The staggered release is fine.

euphronius posted:

There better be since they're almost universally derided and one of the big season 4 selling points is the itemization revamp. I don't think the D4 team wants another S3 + Gauntlet reaction from players in the lead up to the first expansion(eh, we might get S5 before "late 2024.") I know I'm not going to get it given the likely release price($40 minimum) and that D4 still hasn't satisfied me as a $70 game, struggling to barely clear the $30 mark and losing in satisfaction to plenty of $10 or less Diablo 2 spiritual sequels.

I know the D4 team hates good marketing for some reason but Big Rod needs to deliver the hype and he's not gonna do it by putting a $60 horse in the shop with some Mephisto bits on it and calling it Herald of Hate.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

euphronius posted:

That would be disappointing because Blizz is calling the itemization changes “massive.”

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Ehud posted:

That would be disappointing because Blizz is calling the itemization changes “massive.”

Well you see they’ve increased the size of the text and icons by up to 150%

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Honestly wish they would. Playing on console is rough for my old rear end eyes by the end of a session.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If your eyes are in your rear end maybe that's why they feel so rough.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

some guy who never played video games once is sitting in an office and telling the fund men that actually letting people play your game for free before the good changes is good, because they won't know the bad things are bad until they're level 70 or so and statistically like 80% of the players would never reach that anyways. they're also explaining to the fund men that even the smaller percentage of players who will figure out the bad thing is bad, will be enamored by the idea that blizzard was willing to fix it and therefore will fix everything eventually, earning trust in the player.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I saw an article describe a game as using a "buy to play" model and I hate that this is now a thing.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Tonetta posted:

some guy who never played video games once is sitting in an office and telling the fund men that actually letting people play your game for free before the good changes is good, because they won't know the bad things are bad until they're level 70 or so and statistically like 80% of the players would never reach that anyways. they're also explaining to the fund men that even the smaller percentage of players who will figure out the bad thing is bad, will be enamored by the idea that blizzard was willing to fix it and therefore will fix everything eventually, earning trust in the player.

Now dealing with the folks who have never once played a videogame and yet are in charge is something I do have experience with. None of them would have this conversation because they don't know any of this. All they know is MAU and ARPU and they think MAUxARPU will hold once it goes to Game Pass as though Game Pass players are all equally as good customers as purchasers.

E: fwiw my guess is Blizzard folks were asked about timing across a few different possible windows and this is what they thought was best. That could be to avoid messing up holiday sales or because they really think the next season is solid or just because they think that this maximizes the number of people who try the campaign, enjoy it, and can be sold the first expansion. It's also not an overly busy Game Pass release window for the genre, competing mostly with MLB.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 16, 2024

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I mean the real reason is staring us in the face. most of us are just too old to see it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bamhand posted:

I saw an article describe a game as using a "buy to play" model and I hate that this is now a thing.

:negative:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
it's been a thing for at least a decade.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

doomfunk posted:

it's been a thing for at least a decade.

ok.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

that was brusque of me. the first time I personally saw it was in the context of games previously on a subscription model converting to a single purchase plus optional subscription, and the same terminology was used for a project I was working on in 2013-2014 when it took went from sub-only to sub-optional.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
it's been around at least since guild wars 2 but i'm sure if i thought long enough i could remember something before that. probably a good sign that you haven't heard it until now

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Popoto posted:

TBF you are going to have to delete characters eventually.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Tarnop posted:

I think this is a more realistic concern, having people learn how items work and possibly dropping sweeping changes on them a few weeks later. Or it's a hint to us that the item changes won't actually be all that sweeping.

It always seemed to me like the people losing their minds over seasonal resets were a loud minority that were being amplified by gaming sites desperate for another article about the flavour of the month game. As soon as the first season started, all those incredulous "I have to make a new character!?!?" posts mysteriously dried up

i just heard someone talking about this in the past week, how it's a bad idea to invalidate old seasonal characters. some people still keeping that rage alive

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would think most people make fun of "buy to play," at least I do, because it sounds stupid. You already buy games to play them. That's what you're doing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

harrygomm posted:

i just heard someone talking about this in the past week, how it's a bad idea to invalidate old seasonal characters. some people still keeping that rage alive

It is :shrug:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

sure, but much like "normalcy", we're stuck with it so we may as well accept that we shan't be rid of it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I like buying games and playing them.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tarnop posted:

I wouldn't read into the battle pass timing being a sign of S4 not being as big of an overhaul. Read it more like someone with their own office wanting it on gamepass, drat the expense.

Overhauling itemization shortly after game pass yeah that'll be confusing for some.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kaysette posted:

I like buying games and playing them.
Sorry this is no longer allowed. You have to watch other people stream them and then buy nfts.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

doomfunk posted:

sure, but much like "normalcy", we're stuck with it so we may as well accept that we shan't be rid of it.

Buy2Play is the New Normal of Games As A Service.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mouth-based eating

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I picked this up on sale having not played any Diablo since I think 2. I tested a necromancer, a rogue and a sorcerer and decided to go with the necromancer because I like having some company in a single player game. I'm up to around L17 pursuing the main quest only and the occasional event out in the world and so far I'm enjoying it. The graphics and sound are excellent, voice work is good and the cosmetics system is easy to use and has my necro looking pretty cool.

What I don't like is that I've been jumped by the Butcher twice now in the span of two hours, the second time while I was going through my first dungeon to pick up a necro aspect.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, the Butcher will kick your butt the first few times you see him. If you immediately TP out of the dungeon he'll de-spawn, or you can try to kite him around any nearby shrines or poles if there are any. Eventually you'll be strong enough to take him out, and the revenge is sweet.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

And then he turns back into a DPS check at endgame, or at least he does after that annoying patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
This thread always makes me lol.

I hate that they made a game that feels good to play and then failed to make it fun beyond the novelty, but my best guess is player retension falls off a cliff if it hasn’t already, and then they take the hatchet to the systems. Numbers don’t lie and if you lose your revenue streams er I mean players, you’ll be compelled to be more aggressive with adjustments.

And ARPG genre needs a burn down from the top. That’s evidenced by all the discourse around any ARpg release in recent memory.

Hope they lose all their players and give the game a facelift.