Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I hate my stupid klepto/hoarder gamerbrain. I am compelled to click on every loving container so I have more scrolls and potions and arrows than I could possibly use. And then I don't use them. You know, just in case I need 8 scrolls of Ray of Sickness later. For something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Docjowles posted:

I hate my stupid klepto/hoarder gamerbrain. I am compelled to click on every loving container so I have more scrolls and potions and arrows than I could possibly use. And then I don't use them. You know, just in case I need 8 scrolls of Ray of Sickness later. For something.

Can I introduce you to the 20 scrolls of Speak to Animals/Speak to the Dead that my Druid with the Amulet of Lost Voices has

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Medullah posted:

There are a gajillion scrolls in the game. I pretty much had Gale learn everything he could (which, in case you didn't notice it like me, there's a button to see what he can learn when you're in the preparing scrolls menu...I was clicking each scroll individually to see if I could learn it for the first ~100 hours).

Is there a (Known) tag or icon or different color or something when you're in the Barter menu? I knew about that submenu, but I feel like I always was missing something when buying the scrolls.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

I have trouble not seeing JK Simmons as his character from Oz, so it adds a certain amount of menace to any villain role he's cast in.

same, Schillinger was such an iconic piece of poo poo. bg3 really could have reached its full potential if A2 ended with Dame aylin finishing off Ketheric by taking a dump on his face and giving the sieg heil while everyone watches and cheers

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowy posted:

As a still relatively new player, I'm trying to start using up more of the consumables I'm hoarding. Are there any scrolls in particular that I should have Gale learn? I'd like to get use up a bunch but I keep thinking he needs them.

Evocation spells if that's the subclass of Wizard your Gale is, because your party will be safe against Evo spells he casts.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Snowy posted:

As a still relatively new player, I'm trying to start using up more of the consumables I'm hoarding. Are there any scrolls in particular that I should have Gale learn? I'd like to get use up a bunch but I keep thinking he needs them.

E- and since I'm posting, I'm using the camp events notification mod but don't know what it means when the exclamation is over my character's head, not a companion's. Anyone know?

Have him learn stuff like animate dead, cloudkill, and later on, disintegrate.

Sell all the crap like protection from good and evil and dark vision.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Hey played various characters on ps5 for act 1 and got to act 2 a few months ago before playing other games and taking a break. I’m now starting a “for real” playthrough as I know a bit more as to what I’m doing now and am following a gaming podcast through it (the bonfireside chat/woff guys) and I have a question-

Is playing as a Storm Sorcerer (as a good person) a good time? Was thinking of doing that with a kitted out Storm Cleric shadowheart, wild magic Karlach and then probably battlemaster Laezel. From reading around online it sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Any other suggestions if not that? Thanks!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hey played various characters on ps5 for act 1 and got to act 2 a few months ago before playing other games and taking a break. I’m now starting a “for real” playthrough as I know a bit more as to what I’m doing now and am following a gaming podcast through it (the bonfireside chat/woff guys) and I have a question-

Is playing as a Storm Sorcerer (as a good person) a good time? Was thinking of doing that with a kitted out Storm Cleric shadowheart, wild magic Karlach and then probably battlemaster Laezel. From reading around online it sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Any other suggestions if not that? Thanks!

All of that sounds good, almost any build will work well enough to win which is nice

I don’t personally love playing sorc or wizard because only being able to cast your best stuff a couple times before long resting to recoup spell slots bums me out. Classes that regen their important abilities on short rest like monk and bard are more my speed. If you don’t have this particular hangup though there’s no denying it is a powerful class. Especially by act 3 when you get access to cone of cold and chain lightning and can annihilate a whole group in one shot. But it feels bad when I’m out of spell slots and doing 12 damage cantrips while the monk is hitting dudes for like 70 multiple times every turn.

I can’t get away from having monk/thief Astarion in my party. Just running around one shotting everything he can get his hands on. Plus all sleight of hand checks are basically auto win. There’s also a lot of really OP monk gear that goes to waste if you don’t have one.

My current crew is sorc/wizard/storm cleric dark urge. Monk/thief Astarion. Throwing barb Karlach. And archery bard Jaheira. It feels awesome, very little gives me trouble. The one thing I wish I had was more low level AoE for when you have to clean up 50 1 HP rats or some poo poo.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Docjowles posted:

All of that sounds good, almost any build will work well enough to win which is nice

I don’t personally love playing sorc or wizard because only being able to cast your best stuff a couple times before long resting to recoup spell slots bums me out. Classes that regen their important abilities on short rest like monk and bard are more my speed. If you don’t have this particular hangup though there’s no denying it is a powerful class. Especially by act 3 when you get access to cone of cold and chain lightning and can annihilate a whole group in one shot. But it feels bad when I’m out of spell slots and doing 12 damage cantrips while the monk is hitting dudes for like 70 multiple times every turn.

I can’t get away from having monk/thief Astarion in my party. Just running around one shotting everything he can get his hands on. Plus all sleight of hand checks are basically auto win. There’s also a lot of really OP monk gear that goes to waste if you don’t have one.

My current crew is sorc/wizard/storm cleric dark urge. Monk/thief Astarion. Throwing barb Karlach. And archery bard Jaheira. It feels awesome, very little gives me trouble. The one thing I wish I had was more low level AoE for when you have to clean up 50 1 HP rats or some poo poo.

Thanks for this write up. This is the thing I dislike about it so far and why I typically enjoy more melee type fighters- it just kinda sucks not always being able to use the good stuff. I do really like how sorcerer is super high charisma though!

Your current party sounds fun and when I eventually do a dark urge, I can’t wait to have astarion in my party. I’m saving a play through with him as that.

I have mulled over going storm cleric as my main character and then spec’ing shadowheart as a monk, but I’ll probably stick with this sorcerer for awhile still to see if I can get into it more when I get a few levels under my belt.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Docjowles posted:

I like this idea; I ran him as a Bard last time out as Tav was a Rogue (then a multiclassed version of the same thing) and it wasn't very dynamic. Plus all that Monk gear like you said.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the objectively most fun build is 1 fighter/1 wizard/10 sword bard with titanstring, helm of arcane acuity and band of the mystic scoundrel

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Docjowles posted:

Ice knife is good for the latter, scribe it with your wizard. Also smokepowder bombs are cheap

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 17, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Medullah posted:

Can I introduce you to the 20 scrolls of Speak to Animals/Speak to the Dead that my Druid with the Amulet of Lost Voices has

Same but my main can cast both of those at will due to having the speak with animals item and having read the Necromancy of Thay.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scrolls are lighter than gold.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mr. Lobe posted:

Also smokepowder bombs are cheap

Yeah I just keep some alchemist's fire etc. for those situations to save spell slots, or just shoot AOE arrows

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Finished tactician play through. Feels good man. Guess I will start beating my head against honor mode at some point. I expected it to be a lot harder but for the most part it felt pretty similar to balanced. To be fair knowing what’s coming and how to build an efficient party helps massively.

Had trouble with a handful of fights. First was Grym just because he kept walking like one pixel too far for the hammer to crush him, it is annoyingly finicky. Balthazar also gave me trouble as the big skeletons kept throwing everyone off a cliff round 1 lol. Better positioning fixed this. My Durge duel with Orin was a nightmare. She would win initiative every time and kill my poor sorcerer on the first turn. Had to reload repeatedly til I finally got to go first and then she saved against all my spells, lived to her turn, and killed me in one round. Only time I REALLY wished I had Alert. And finally the House of Grief was of course a bitch. I don’t think I would even attempt it on honor. Every other boss pretty much just fell over.

Also a couple ending spoilers

I had no idea Gale’s outcomes could vary so wildly. First run I told him to definitely not try to steal the crown of karsus, and he became a frumpy old professor. This time I just told him “you do you man I don’t really care”. Was not expecting him to turn up at the epilogue as a LITERAL loving BRAND NEW GOD lmfao. That story took quite a turn.

I also reloaded my final save so I could see what the become the Absolute ending looked like. I respect how cartoonishly evil it is.

Game very much stands up to repeated plays. I thought I was very thorough on my first run but I found SO much stuff I missed. I’m sure there is even more still to find. And I’m glad I did the resist durge option, it’s a pretty wild and cool story

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Medullah posted:

There are a gajillion scrolls in the game. I pretty much had Gale learn everything he could (which, in case you didn't notice it like me, there's a button to see what he can learn when you're in the preparing scrolls menu...I was clicking each scroll individually to see if I could learn it for the first ~100 hours).

Wait what

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ZearothK posted:

Scrolls are lighter than gold.

real Barterheads know

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Loel posted:

Wait what

did you know you can still use a shovel to dig, even when you fail all survival skills?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

did you know you can still use a shovel to dig, even when you fail all survival skills?

wait what

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

if you summon scratch he'll even point to where you should dig

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Zodium posted:

if you summon scratch he'll even point to where you should dig

what

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the flaming fistr just arrested Basket and my deva, fire myrmidon, and mummy but left everyone else. i love this game

edit: apparently this disarmed my fire myrmidon and deva.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 17, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Loel posted:

Wait what

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat

this will come in handy since I am playing Gale in a MP game with the homies

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ZearothK posted:

drat

this will come in handy since I am playing Gale in a MP game with the homies

What do you do when you’re frequently (I presume) forced to stay back at camp so that they can take a better character along with them?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bird with big dick posted:

What do you do when you’re frequently (I presume) forced to stay back at camp so that they can take a better character along with them?

i eat their shoes and hack vendors

also i pet my cat

[edit] in and out of game

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Oh that's very neat.

Any way to tell if the vendor has any scrolls I dont know? Right now I just steal buy the whole row and cross my fingers.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

How's the stability of this game in Act 3 these days? I got to Act 3 in like August and lost interest in the game because of how buggy it was, specifically with quest tracking

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Loel posted:

Oh that's very neat.

Any way to tell if the vendor has any scrolls I dont know? Right now I just steal buy the whole row and cross my fingers.

The only spells you can't learn from scrolls that are on the Wizard list are iirc Resilient Sphere, Arcane Gate, Counterspell, to a lesser extent Arcane Lock, and Knock. Scrolls for the last two exist but are pretty rare despite being green (uncommon).

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

johnny park posted:

How's the stability of this game in Act 3 these days? I got to Act 3 in like August and lost interest in the game because of how buggy it was, specifically with quest tracking

it wasnt perfect, but I had a drastically better time in Act 3 last month than at release, and theres been a patch since

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

johnny park posted:

I’m in Act 3 right now for my second play through and for some reason jaihera is a neutral party when she’s in my party. Haven’t yet encountered any other bugs though, just my computer having a hard time handling the environment.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Loel posted:

Oh that's very neat.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit I often quick save, buy all the scrolls, look to see if any can be scribed and then quick load and buy just those heh

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Gortash looks like he planewalked out of a Final Fantasy knockoff series and never found his way back home.

Professor Beetus posted:

Jason Isaacs is great in the role of Gortash but they whiffed hard on the character design. "Handsome young man" lol, he looks like a 45 y/o has been that still tours with their emo band that was popular in the 90s (and still creeps on young teen fans).

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Gortash would've been a slam dunk if they just hadn't explicitly described him as a 'handsome young man'. I'm ok with the villain being an obviously evil middle-aged pervert with a lovely dye job.

Maybe he's doctoring the Absolute's projections

Really appreciate that every time I peek in this thread people are dunking on Gortash. It makes me so angry how dumb he looks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

watchoutitsabear posted:

Really appreciate that every time I peek in this thread people are dunking on Gortash. It makes me so angry how dumb he looks.

I just see Miguel from Tekken.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I was mad his big disco king collar wasn’t big anymore once my hobbit bard wore it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Someone pointed out he is wearing a Guy Fieri flaming button down under his big dumb jacket and can’t stop laughing every time I see it

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Medullah posted:

I just see Miguel from Tekken.

That guy pulls it off way better

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

frankly i think it rules how gortash looks like your uncle trying to cosplay ardyn izunia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Entropic posted:

JK Simmons is one of those guys who seems to just always play himself and it takes you out of anything he's in.
The only memorable big role I remember seeing him in was Whiplash and every time I see him in anything else it just feels like a riff on that same character.

JK Simmons is a big part of why Portal 2 is great as Cave Johnson