Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I use the Steam deck exclusively and Cultic ran like a dream, outside of it taking a weirdly long time for the title screen to appear at first. Like when I loaded the game for the first time, I almost force-quit because I thought it was stuck, but it came up.

It takes forever on my pc too, I wouldn't worry too much about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just beat the final boss of Wrath and what a shitshow that was. It's like they decided to roll all the weaknesses of the game into one level: respawning turret enemies, surrounding the area with water, having to platform to get (tiny) ammo refills... Used seven Cruel Aegises on that and I don't feel the slightest bit of shame.

I don't think I'll be coming back to the game. The second act was fun but it in no way justfies the slogs before and after.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 16, 2024

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Well that's encouraging--I'm just about to get into Act II today! :rip:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

happy 20th anniversary ut2k4, and 25th to ut soon

gonna be a huge epic celebration I'm sure

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I hope sweeny falls out of a third story window and gets fatally wedgied by a lamp post

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mr. Sharps posted:

I hope sweeny falls out of a third story window and gets fatally wedgied by a lamp post

He's a real people person:

Tim Sweeney emailed Gabe Newell calling Valve 'you assholes' over Steam policies, to which Valve's COO replied internally 'you mad bro?'

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

I love that pic of Gabe - lazing about, being a multi-multi-trillionaire, rocking the "I should buy an asteroid field" look. A neuron in his brain misfires, and he accidentally thinks of that ol' Sweeney fellow; but then it fires correctly, and all is right with the world.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's going to suck immensely when gabe dies and game of thrones power struggles result in a steam IPO

hopefully by then we'll be uploaded to the web5 nft metaverse

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Angryhead posted:

Thankful to Haze for providing us with this classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHjvUjlF1kE
An all timer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love Dave Oshry. I wish he was my boss.

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/fps/y...K9B8MQRyEWYTl2I

Good Ol' El Oshuro posted:

In a recent interview with members of indie collective/developer New Blood, I asked them how they attribute their current success in the face of so much misery, layoffs, and studio closures in the industry. "We're not beholden to shareholders or investors or anything like that," said studio boss Dave Oshry. "We get to make what we want⁠—that's our whole motto: 'we hate money.'

"We don't actually hate money, money's great, but if we wanted money we'd make a Dusk survival horror crafting game. An open world survival horror crafting deck builder roguelike Dusk."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

is it wrong that i kind of want those games?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Arivia posted:

Yes. That's the entire point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Deck builder? Nah. Furthest I'll go is RotT trading cards.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arivia posted:

Deck builder yes, roguelike no

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think I like Cultic all that much. I'm at "The Mines", so maybe it changes as I go further, but this just isn't doing it for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dark Forces remaster is pricy but good. It looks exactly like I remember it (which means it looks significantly better than the original actually did)

Forgot how many of those goddamn land mines there were, though, and how often they were hidden in piles of pickups

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

I don't think I like Cultic all that much. I'm at "The Mines", so maybe it changes as I go further, but this just isn't doing it for me.

Different things for different people, but I'm curious, is there anything in particular that you don't like?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I finished Cultic. The enemy roster never clicked with me. It has three different iterations of "large enemy that rushes towards you and takes exactly 6 shotgun shells to kill and thus poses absolutely zero threat". It introduces zombies and then later introduces what's effectively a super-zombie variant later that might have been a fun change of pace for combat if it hadn't just been a super zombie. The majority of enemies can be easily and reliably headshot and don't alert each other so the final level for instance was like 99% remote sniping with no threat. The one time skeletons that are identical to the cultists are great though, they can stay.

Weapon wise, the only things that matter are the shotgun and one of the two rifles which are basically functionally identical except one has a scope which you use to kill absolutely everything that is human shaped with a head. The grenade launcher was never very useful, the sten I just used because I had 500 handgun ammo and decided I would switch it up, the flamethrower was exclusively used to kill the final boss, the handgun is nice up until you get the shotgun and then its completely replaceable, and lol if you think I ever used the axes again after getting a gun in my hand. The upgrade system also wasn't particularly interesting, and with weapons coming at different junctures in the campaign you may not be able to experiment like you want with later weapons.

Level design is ok to good in places, but my goodness your run speed is so slow I fiddled with the options for a long time thinking I had crouch or walk locked on accidentally. This means a couple of the maps that consist of large open "outdoor" areas end up being long walks between sections of the map. Compounded with how far away you can snipe enemies, in outdoor maps I was often walking through already cleared maps by the time I reached where the enemies had been.

Lastly, the graphics just never looked good to me. Its just an aesthetic I never ended up liking so the game was ugly brown for the whole way through and the only time I think it works is when you approach the sanitarium from the woods late in the game. The FOV also gave me some powerful motion sickness I've never had with one of these games before and even then occasionally swimming underwater would trigger it too due to the edges of the screen.

Swimming controls were unexpected, not bad, just not expected.

Edit: I assuredly missed something because I never figured out how to use Magnum ammo despite upgrading the lever action rifle.

Edit Edit: Also the lighter limiting you to one weapon was fine, but I like, couldn't really see any enemies any better with the lighter active so for the two short segments where you shoot with a dark cave with the lighter I was having zero fun because it was just shooting back at bullets whenever they were coming at me. The later lantern then removes the one hand mechanic and provides actual light to see by so... ok sure fine.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 17, 2024

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

I finished Cultic. The enemy roster never clicked with me. It has three different iterations of "large enemy that rushes towards you and takes exactly 6 shotgun shells to kill and thus poses absolutely zero threat". It introduces zombies and then later introduces what's effectively a super-zombie variant later that might have been a fun change of pace for combat if it hadn't just been a super zombie. The majority of enemies can be easily and reliably headshot and don't alert each other so the final level for instance was like 99% remote sniping with no threat. The one time skeletons that are identical to the cultists are great though, they can stay.

Weapon wise, the only things that matter are the shotgun and one of the two rifles which are basically functionally identical except one has a scope which you use to kill absolutely everything that is human shaped with a head. The grenade launcher was never very useful, the sten I just used because I had 500 handgun ammo and decided I would switch it up, the flamethrower was exclusively used to kill the final boss, the handgun is nice up until you get the shotgun and then its completely replaceable, and lol if you think I ever used the axes again after getting a gun in my hand. The upgrade system also wasn't particularly interesting, and with weapons coming at different junctures in the campaign you may not be able to experiment like you want with later weapons.

Level design is ok to good in places, but my goodness your run speed is so slow I fiddled with the options for a long time thinking I had crouch or walk locked on accidentally. This means a couple of the maps that consist of large open "outdoor" areas end up being long walks between sections of the map. Compounded with how far away you can snipe enemies, in outdoor maps I was often walking through already cleared maps by the time I reached where the enemies had been.

Lastly, the graphics just never looked good to me. Its just an aesthetic I never ended up liking so the game was ugly brown for the whole way through and the only time I think it works is when you approach the sanitarium from the woods late in the game. The FOV also gave me some powerful motion sickness I've never had with one of these games before and even then occasionally swimming underwater would trigger it too due to the edges of the screen.

Swimming controls were unexpected, not bad, just not expected.

Edit: I assuredly missed something because I never figured out how to use Magnum ammo despite upgrading the lever action rifle.

Edit Edit: Also the lighter limiting you to one weapon was fine, but I like, couldn't really see any enemies any better with the lighter active so for the two short segments where you shoot with a dark cave with the lighter I was having zero fun because it was just shooting back at bullets whenever they were coming at me. The later lantern then removes the one hand mechanic and provides actual light to see by so... ok sure fine.

I agree that sniping upends the balance of the game a bit, as I think the 'intended' look of the game is to be a bit pixellated so that you don't have a sharp view of enemies in the far distance. That said, I think playing on higher difficulties negates that somewhat as you kind of have to be underhanded in order to survive. What difficulty did you play on, out of interest?

Also where does this rank against Witchaven 1 and 2 :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played on whatever "standard" difficulty was. Unless higher difficulty changes enemy AI (it might) I don't see how much will change since chainsaw guys love getting stuck in walls and the other fat foes seem incredibly easy to also just walk away from.

Unequivocally better than Witchaven 1 and 2. Don't encourage me to make a "Worst FPS Ever" power ranking.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

I played on whatever "standard" difficulty was. Unless higher difficulty changes enemy AI (it might) I don't see how much will change since chainsaw guys love getting stuck in walls and the other fat foes seem incredibly easy to also just walk away from.

Unequivocally better than Witchaven 1 and 2. Don't encourage me to make a "Worst FPS Ever" power ranking.

You said you only used the flamethrower to kill the final boss... You didn't use it to very quickly take out the bigger threats, like the TWO chainsaw guys in the hedgemaze?! gently caress, that second one startled me so much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You said you only used the flamethrower to kill the final boss... You didn't use it to very quickly take out the bigger threats, like the TWO chainsaw guys in the hedgemaze?! gently caress, that second one startled me so much.

The shotgun dropped that problem so fast I ended up just fighting them one at a time, since the second one seems to spawn in on a different trigger (maybe going backwards in the maze further? not sure) and I had time to start exiting the maze after killing the first.

The only large threat where the shotgun wasn't the immediate and completely without any nuance correct option is the final boss and the flamethrower enemies.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 17, 2024

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Fair enough - I think the standard difficulty is a bit too easy tbh, but most of your points wouldn't be fixed on a higher difficulty anyway. Glad you finished it at least, even if it wasn't as enjoyable as you expected.

Barudak posted:

encourage me to make a "Worst FPS Ever" power ranking.

:yeah:

Wondering if Legend of the Seven Paladins outranks William Shatner's Tekwar tbh

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The magnum ammo is just the ammo for the LAR, if you mean the upgrade from a workbench the rifle is just more powerful after you pick that upgrade.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well that's encouraging--I'm just about to get into Act II today! :rip:
It's good actually. Don't worry about it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think Wrath might have lost me. I play through Quake 1 several times per year. It's probably my favorite type of FPS and I think I've lost the stomach to finish Wrath. The longer I play, the more I feel like quitting out and just playing Quake instead.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just in time for the 30th anniversaries of Doom II & The Downward Spiral...

The DOOM.wad Spiral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWqDe7I5T98

https://adamzerarez.bandcamp.com/album/the-doom-wad-spiral

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dramicus posted:

I think Wrath might have lost me. I play through Quake 1 several times per year. It's probably my favorite type of FPS and I think I've lost the stomach to finish Wrath. The longer I play, the more I feel like quitting out and just playing Quake instead.

I cleared Wrath ep1 and decided to put it down for a while. Like a number of these retro shooters (Supplice and Hedon 2 spring to mind), it aims for a scale so much larger than its inspirations that it gets kind of exhausting. I’m sure I’ll come back to it but yeah, need a break.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Cultic on standard feels like HMP in DOOM 2, or easier. Hard is definitely where to start if you're familiar at all with FPS games. I started on standard, breezed through it quickly and did enjoy it. But hard is when I truly loved the game. The enemy counts get noticeably raised and I found myself using most of the weapons and a lots of TNT. I found myself hot swapping weapons a lot in the later fights.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man, Turbo Overkill has all of the ingredients for a game I'd absolutely love but I hate the level design 5 levels in, just boring messes of corridors and huge open jump pad-heavy vertical spaces and the sound design is absolutely awful. Explosions seemingly have no sound effect at all, a few of the guns feel like they're missing effects, the chainsaw leg is all but completely silent, there's no foot steps, some levels open with complete silence; like no real music or any contextual sound effects for what's happening on the screen... Like all I ever really hear are the gun shots, rare music tracks, and the enemy barks. And the upgrade system is just... what the hell were they actually thinking? It's a clunky mess of worthless modifiers besides the major upgrades.

I feel like the level design has plenty of time to improve as the game goes on but the whole thing feels anemic with the lack of sound effects and a tad over-designed with a dumb upgrade system that doesn't really add much to the game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wrath finished. I would have done it time ago, but Helldivers 2 distracted me strongly for the last two weeks :)

The game seemed strangely insistent in leave me a bad aftertaste as last memory , with a last level (The Red Throne, in my case), so full of BS gotcha moments, fights that felt cheap, and annoying snipers, so the solution is like coming back to the 90s in the bad sense, and save a lot and counter snipe them playing in a more boring way, peeking in corners, etc.
For moments it reminded me of... Blood :D :D.

The game overall have just too many snipers, I complained a pair of times how the AI is too static and prone to be a turret, but it isn't just the AI, even their placement was too sniper friendly, so it's also problem related to the design of some of the encoutnesr.

Thanks god the last boss wasn't very hard, in fact I had less problems with him than the second boss. Being the last one, I just used with freedom all the items I had saved, so I surrounded him with 8 turrets while I fired at him too with the wrath damage multiplier.

In hindsight, I'd say the (default) saving system is a mistake. I didn't enjoy the game more for it, in fact in some parts it frustrated me, because we players are dumb sometimes. But I decided against it when I was already a few levels away of the ending, so I played with limited saves.

Something that surprised me was seeing several enemies still because they were getting stuck in geometry, when in Quake 1 (even in the original port) I remember how good were the enemies at navigating the map and hunting you. Not here.

On the other hand, I enjoyed a lot levels like Crucible of Souls, long and complex and more exploration driven. I guess I enjoy mapping them in my head.

Finally, it's also a pity the whole long Early Access conflicted development cycle they had, if only because seeing the achievements it seems 86% of buyers haven't noticed the game was finally released. So much effort, and your own buyers won't ever play it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

victrix posted:

happy 20th anniversary ut2k4, and 25th to ut soon

gonna be a huge epic celebration I'm sure

I still play UT99 fairly regularly. Game still slaps like hell.

I am all in on anything Epic do for UT this year, but on the safe assumption they don't do poo poo, putting in the small amount of work to get the GOTY edition restored and back online is an easy recommend. Especially to a thread full of crusty old cranks like this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

2k4 is good too but man, nothing else plays like 99. It just feels perfect for a multiplayer shooter. Movement, weapons, everything. I even love the ripper. The only weakness I feel is the smaller 1v1 maps, and I don't like facing worlds at all (sniping is lame).

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Milo and POTUS posted:

and I don't like facing worlds at all (sniping is lame).

Danny O'Dwyer's No Clip video about UT99 and Facing Worlds is really great, and well worth a watch if you have a spare 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuUIeEgT22M

Does a really amazing job of capturing why the map is dumb as hell, but why folk love it anyway, and expands on the era of dumb looking maps still being viable and memorable before the industry codified everything.

Based on my recent experience, Facing Worlds is actually a bit of a rarity when playing online, but firing up a few rounds of it with bots is still one of the most straight up fun ways I like to spend my gaming time. And ordinarily I loving hate/am totally poo poo at sniping.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'll always love UT2K4 more than 99, for the Assault maps, and it being the first PC game I bought, with my own money, after I bought my first computer (with my own credit card). I loved that whole experience. I remember it feeling like there was just so. much. content. The moment I felt like I had played everything, there'd be a map I missed, or some mutators or something. gently caress, I love that game and I'm so glad I bought it on Steam before the huge Epic fail of it being delisted.

Edit: meant to post a separate question: I want to play Quake 1 remaster with my son. Ok, no problem. I'm on Steam, he's on the Switch. However, I'd like to also play CTF with him, but I don't seem to be able to find a way to put the bots just on the opposing team. Am I missing something? It seems like they auto fill the moment the match starts.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 17, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Bumhead posted:

Danny O'Dwyer's No Clip video about UT99 and Facing Worlds is really great, and well worth a watch if you have a spare 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuUIeEgT22M

Does a really amazing job of capturing why the map is dumb as hell, but why folk love it anyway, and expands on the era of dumb looking maps still being viable and memorable before the industry codified everything.

Based on my recent experience, Facing Worlds is actually a bit of a rarity when playing online, but firing up a few rounds of it with bots is still one of the most straight up fun ways I like to spend my gaming time. And ordinarily I loving hate/am totally poo poo at sniping.

I can assure you, my time is valueless. I watched a 30 minute video on bad tf2 outfit colors the other day

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I just finished Cultic too. I gave up on trying to figure out why it was running bad on the Steam Deck and just played through on the PC, which was a better choice anyway. Really enjoyed it for the most part although it has a couple things keeping it from Dusk-tier for me. The atmosphere is amazing, this is one of the ugliest games I've ever played but in a good way. I played with the default color filtering and whatever other options which I guess can tone the look down some, but I don't think I'd want to - everything is dark, garish, offputting and grimy in a delightful way. It's just so gross and raw-looking and I absolutely love it (and those colors, animations and sounds when you set someone on fire are perfection). I also love the slower pace (relative to other retro shooters) and the almost survival horror feel (whoever called it FPS RE4 was completely right), the level design is mostly great, there are some really well-done set pieces and reveals, and all the weapons felt great to use. The story is serviceable, I'm always down for some spooky cult shlock and the setting overall is fun, but the flavor text and notes are just kinda fine (not bad by any means but not particularly compelling either). It does feel like things are starting to pick up some in the Interlude, which might actually be my favorite level. I could have done with a couple less underground tunnel sections though, which feel a little uninspired next to the fantastic more open areas. The combat mostly feels great and like I said, I actually really like the more deliberate pacing and longer-range encounters, but they sometimes bump up against the art style when you're trying to snipe a couple grey pixels tucked into a hillside made entirely of greenish-gray and brownish-gray pixels, especially before you get the rifle with a scope. This is less of an issue on PC than on the Steam Deck, but even on my decent-sized monitor it was awkward at times. I also feel like the ammo balance is tuned a little weird for my liking - the lever action rifle is my favorite gun but I just never had anywhere near enough bullets for it, and not in a way that felt interesting. I was bombarded with ammo for the pistol, shotgun, and even the power weapons, but even when I'd come on the giant ammo stashes before a big fight, it seemed like I got a million rounds for everything else and about clip and a half for the LAR.

Pretty minor complaints overall, but they're enough to keep it from quite reaching the top-tier for me. There are also a couple odd QOL nitpicks, there's no "Continue" on the main menu so you have to manually load your game, and then the saves aren't sorted newest-to-oldest and the beginning-of-level saves always seemed to be at the top of the list for me, with the most recent save a few spots down the list. Again, that's an incredibly minor thing, but there are a handful of little quirks like that which give it a kind of unpolished feel (which is totally understandable since it's apparently made by one guy). Definitely excited to see where Chaper 2 goes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Man, Turbo Overkill has all of the ingredients for a game I'd absolutely love but I hate the level design 5 levels in, just boring messes of corridors and huge open jump pad-heavy vertical spaces and the sound design is absolutely awful. Explosions seemingly have no sound effect at all, a few of the guns feel like they're missing effects, the chainsaw leg is all but completely silent, there's no foot steps, some levels open with complete silence; like no real music or any contextual sound effects for what's happening on the screen... Like all I ever really hear are the gun shots, rare music tracks, and the enemy barks. And the upgrade system is just... what the hell were they actually thinking? It's a clunky mess of worthless modifiers besides the major upgrades.

I feel like the level design has plenty of time to improve as the game goes on but the whole thing feels anemic with the lack of sound effects and a tad over-designed with a dumb upgrade system that doesn't really add much to the game.

I generally liked the level design, in that I never got lost, and the arenas were generally fun to fight in, but I do think they trend towards becoming too long as the game gets going. Completely agree about the sound tho, it's the game's fatal flaw. I still had a blast with it, and it punches way above its weight considering all the vehicle levels and big, scripted moments.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 17, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah all the guns and explosions in TO sound weak as gently caress it sucks lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Something else I appreciated about TO is that it had its own large enemy roster that was both varied and readable, and wasn't just Doom's or Quake's.