Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Simplex posted:

Not me, but that ending is so astonishing that I would like to believe that nobody could write that, and film it, and think "well that wraps up this story."

The very last (live action) bit? Yeah, that lost me. Was it basically a lebsian u haul joke or a reference to Henry James or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Drive Away Dolls seemed well meaning but clearly made by a white man who is almost loving 70 and needs to work with his drat brother again. I guess they are, with a horror project next, thank God cuz I didn't like Ikea Macbeth either.
Not to say either of their solo films was like, atrocious. Trying to figure out if either movie is worse than their Ladykillers remake that just feels like a generic obnoxious 2000s comedy, but at least that led me to the loving classic Alec Guinness original (and also I guess it's sorta fun to see Tom Hanks doing his cartoonish Poe-quoting Colonel Sanders or whatever gently caress he's up to in there, and the painting is fun).

Still never seen Intolerable Cruelty tho... 🤔

It's occasionally cute and has some good gags, but overall just disjointed and mediocre.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't seen it but I am pretty sure it was a collaboration with his wife.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Open Source Idiom posted:

The very last (live action) bit? Yeah, that lost me. Was it basically a lebsian u haul joke or a reference to Henry James or what?

They're talking about "Leave the World Behind" lol.

And I agree (about Leave the World Behind) in that it very much stopped at the end of act 2. The entire premise of "whoa see all they needed to do was sow some discord and we'll tear ourselves apart!" being the ~*~TwIsT~*~ is so mind numbingly embarrassing... like... NO loving poo poo THAT'S WHAT WE'RE ACTUALLY LIVING.

God that ending was bad.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Finally finished True Detective season 4
What a collection of self hating, miserable, idiots serving a mystery with a giant turd of a resolution

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Promised Land is a really good western. Mads doing Mads stuff on 18th century Danish moors. It gets a little goofy at the end. Incredible looking movie as well.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Poor Things is on Hulu and I hate basically everything about it. The cinematography is interesting, but everything else about the movie is so dissonant and gross.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched it the other day and I loved it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Had so much fun watching Don't Let the River Beast Get You on youtube. I think it's on tubi too. A rare purposefully bad film I thought was actually funny and I had my eyes and ears attuned constantly to whatever intentionally horribly written line or stupid prop etc.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel like I'll get lower and lower on Poor Things the more I watch it but it did make me laugh at least a couple times. Some really poor choices that made me feel pretty weird.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Goddamn, everyone should watch Dream Scenario on HBO it's so good.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Sweet, didn't realize it got added

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's all over the place in the best possible way and probably the best Nic Cage performance in a while.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Really enjoyed Dream Scenario, don't think it tops his performance in Pig but it's up there. I also liked Poor Things a lot, up there with The Holdovers for my favorites of last year.

Tried to watch Dumb Money last night and found it really boring, so much so I was dozing off in the back half.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Drive Away Dolls seemed well meaning but clearly made by a white man who is almost loving 70 and needs to work with his drat brother again. I guess they are, with a horror project next, thank God cuz I didn't like Ikea Macbeth either.
Not to say either of their solo films was like, atrocious. Trying to figure out if either movie is worse than their Ladykillers remake that just feels like a generic obnoxious 2000s comedy, but at least that led me to the loving classic Alec Guinness original (and also I guess it's sorta fun to see Tom Hanks doing his cartoonish Poe-quoting Colonel Sanders or whatever gently caress he's up to in there, and the painting is fun).

Still never seen Intolerable Cruelty tho... 🤔

Intolerable Cruelty is only good because of how funny Clooney is. He's great, everything else? Eh....

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Dream Scenario rules. Best Nic Cage performance since Pig (but doesn’t quite top Pig for me, either)

It’s nice that Cage has been more selective with his roles of late, he had veered into Steven Seagal territory for a while there

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

I really enjoyed Dream Scenario. Those are the Cage roles I tend to like best.

The scene where she's finally getting an opportunity for him to act out his sexual prowess from the dreams she's been having and he's just super awkward and farting killed me.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The only fault I found with Dream Scenario is it feels like the screenplay ran out of gas 2/3rds of the way, but the first 2/3rds are just about perfect so it's fine.

The cancel culture stuff just felt like really weak tea.

Glottis posted:

The scene where she's finally getting an opportunity for him to act out his sexual prowess from the dreams she's been having and he's just super awkward and farting killed me.
I was cackling at this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah that scene had me laughing so hard. I knew something like that was gonna happen but the details took me by surprise. The second time it happened I just lost it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Upsidads posted:

Finally finished True Detective season 4
What a collection of self hating, miserable, idiots serving a mystery with a giant turd of a resolution

This is every season of true detective, even the good ones

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I liked TD season 4 a lot. It would have had to be a lot worse for me to put it down because I like the setting so much.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Glottis posted:

I really enjoyed Dream Scenario. Those are the Cage roles I tend to like best.

I wonder if he farts while cumming when he’s with his wife too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wait, is that not supposed to happen?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

withak posted:

Wait, is that not supposed to happen?

I fart after sex every single time fortunately there's no one around to smell it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tiny Timbs posted:

I liked TD season 4 a lot. It would have had to be a lot worse for me to put it down because I like the setting so much.

I love the setting and I think after Fortitude, True Detective, the Terror and the Thing. Only the Thing and somewhat the Terror are actually good

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 18, 2024

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I absolutely adore Alison Brie and have watched many of her somewhat terrible movies because I like her so much but Freelance is loving intolerable. I thought Brie could have chemistry with anyone but I've learned there are limits and that limit is John Cena. His character is so unnecessarily pissy it feels like Cena was just hungover and pissed during the entire shoot. The movie is an absolute mess. It's worth watching just because it's so staggeringly bad on every level from writing to directing. Good lord. I thought Ghosted was the bottom of the barrel of charming actors thrown into a garbage action romance movie but this makes Ghosted look like movie of the year.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Brie was naked in Freelance and that's exactly what I expected to see so ultimately it was a good movie in my opinion.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

TheMopeSquad posted:

Brie was naked in Freelance and that's exactly what I expected to see so ultimately it was a good movie in my opinion.
Somehow, Roger Ebert returned

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

He’s writing blog posts about Sydney Sweeney movies from heaven

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tiny Timbs posted:

He really would be obsessed with her

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The man knew what he liked.

And what he liked was great titties.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TheMopeSquad posted:

You should go watch Somebody I Used to Know.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Tiny Timbs posted:

"It must be said that Sweeney is a fine young actress, who plays the role with verve and conviction. That she exactly resembles Ms. Motorboat 2018 is merely a bonus."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
dont be weird

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MacheteZombie posted:

dont be weird

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

MacheteZombie posted:

dont be weird

That's a big ask of the ghost of Roger Ebert.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's more the ghost of Mr. Skin, Ebert was properly worshipful of the feminine form.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's more the ghost of Mr. Skin, Ebert was properly worshipful of the feminine form.

Yeah I wanted to throw a gag but Ebert was always very polite (but very insistent) about what he liked.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Ebert's Tomb Raider review was an all timer. https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/lara-croft-tomb-raider-2001

Roger Ebert circa 2001 posted:

Lara Croft is a major babe with a great set of ears.

It is cold on the tundra, and everyone wears fur-lined parkas. Everyone but Lara, whose light gray designer cape sweeps behind her so that we can admire the tight matching sweater she is wearing, which clings tightly to those parts of her body that can be found a foot below and a little to the front of her great ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

1glitch0 posted:

You should go watch Somebody I Used to Know.

I heard that sucked.