Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

Fire tornadoes are either lightly drifting things that never bother me or intense zones of fire that engulf the area im in and never let me survive and im not sure why it can be different

Man, I had a 4 min extraction in Hellmire with Fire tornados, and it felt pretty much like hell on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

It takes a special kind of game where a bullshit unexplained blue laser can appear and just delete you while you’re trying to do a mission and everyone agrees it’s just the coolest poo poo ever and gets so excited.

The game has a huge degree of “bullshit is part of the game” in a way few have since :xcom: so you can just gently caress with players by all of a sudden sometimes having flying enemies you’ve never introduced murder everyone and the players eat it up. Such good vibes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Can the slugger damage the exposed vents on Cannon/AA/Mortar Towers and Tanks?
Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ9FO_BK4fk

But only slowly/badly. EAT/RR are obviously way better, AMR is somewhat better although still slow and inefficient, and laser cannon is also way better.

Both AMR/laser cannon have better pen than slugger, but I think the reason laser cannon is so much better than AMR here may be because
1). vents are classified as "massive" weakpoints and like the ones on bugs, resist non-explosive damage
2). laser cannon has explosive tag

Tom Tucker posted:

It takes a special kind of game where a bullshit unexplained blue laser can appear and just delete you while you’re trying to do a mission and everyone agrees it’s just the coolest poo poo ever and gets so excited.

The game has a huge degree of “bullshit is part of the game” in a way few have since :xcom: so you can just gently caress with players by all of a sudden sometimes having flying enemies you’ve never introduced murder everyone and the players eat it up. Such good vibes.
I still have not seen any video of this that didn't just look like a blue armor ricochet hitspark being misinterpreted.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Getting pretty tired of running good missions with good pubbie crews (nobody accepts friend requests, perhaps indicating that I’m not very good) only for the game to error out during the extraction tickdown. I really need medals okay

I'm reasonably sure friend requests haven't worked (they're stuck pending) for about a month

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I will say in my experience from joining higher level people, so far they mostly just summoned down a weapon I don't have yet and told me to take it while they blew poo poo up.

I've gotten a mech a couple times due to this.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

There are also weird physics or interaction bugs that can randomly make things not work in funny ways.

I think it helps that there aren't really any consequences to dying or "failing" a mission beyond getting some but not all of the xp/reqs. I guess you lose samples though but :shrug:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

the scorcher wrecks tanks and cannon tower radiators really quick. on the tanks it gives you the "deflected" hit icon but it still damages it. i havent counted how many shots it takes but its less than a clip

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kly posted:

the scorcher wrecks tanks and cannon tower radiators really quick. on the tanks it gives you the "deflected" hit icon but it still damages it. i havent counted how many shots it takes but its less than a clip
This contributes further to my theory think that vents work like bug "massive weakpoints" and take reduced damage from bullets, full damage from explosive or explosive-tagged weapons(and also that laser cannon is explosive tagged).

I imagine the deflected icon shows up because it's also splashing the armor nearby the vent, like how if you shoot a shot that fully penetrates through a target into something that deflects it, you get the deflected icon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

even post-buff this is too true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUr5r4XVoFc

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I want to like the slugger but it's the most finicky gun to hit things with sometimes

https://i.imgur.com/OL1dsBJ.mp4

No I will not ADS

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Scorcher is fantastic in general. You can rapidly single shot a bunch of light bots, double tap walkers through the eye slit, kill devastators reasonably well, and damage heavy unit weak points.

I really wish the Dominator could do similarly well. Cool concept but poor execution there.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

LazyMaybe posted:

This contributes further to my theory think that vents work like bug "massive weakpoints" and take reduced damage from bullets, full damage from explosive or explosive-tagged weapons(and also that laser cannon is explosive tagged).

I imagine the deflected icon shows up because it's also splashing the armor nearby the vent, like how if you shoot a shot that fully penetrates through a target into something that deflects it, you get the deflected icon.
Yeah I've been taking this as true because the AMR takes like 8 shots to a turret/tank vent but the AC takes 3, despite them both doing similar damage to Devastators (1 headshot or 2 body shots to kill) and Hulk heads (2 shots to kill) so they both have to have damage roughly comparable to each other.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/WPYkEXp.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

they have cloaking fields now :tinfoil:

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Triarii posted:

I want to like the slugger but it's the most finicky gun to hit things with sometimes

No I will not ADS

wait a tad bit longer between shots; you're missing because it's still kicking, even though the reticle is starting to settle.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You definitely need to ADS if you want to use the Slugger as a marksman rifle.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Triarii posted:

No I will not ADS

Consider crouching.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

creamcorn posted:

wait a tad bit longer between shots; you're missing because it's still kicking, even though the reticle is starting to settle.
Not so much "still kicking" as how pumping the action moves the gun and shifts the point of aim.
First person on slugger is particularly good because you see how the aim is getting affected by this more clearly, besides just being more zoomed in.

e: though maybe it's actually the predictive reticle interacting weirdly with the ramp messing things up there? but either way those shots would be easy first person.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I'm amazed a single person is playing on draupnir, which not only limits you to three strategems, but also massively increases their cooldowns.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Only strat I need is a 500, which I ride down onto a level 1 "Kill the Devastators" mission repeatedly to maximize freedom delivered to the planet per hour.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

I'm amazed a single person is playing on draupnir, which not only limits you to three strategems, but also massively increases their cooldowns.

Those are enemy field conditions because you’re playing on high difficulty, they’re not part of Draupnir. The only special thing about Draupnir is the constant fog and rain.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Janissary Hop posted:

Operation modifiers aren't planet-wide, they're random between operations and between difficulties

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

johnny park posted:

Operation modifiers aren't planet-wide, they're random between operations and between difficulties

there are planetary and operation modifiers

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Janissary Hop posted:

I never read the modificators. I just click in whatever planet I think it will be fancy. Reading is for unpatriotic nerds!

And for people smarter than me...

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

there are planetary and operation modifiers

Okay? What he's describing are operation modifiers lol

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So today's personal order is to kill 2 bile titans. I was in a group that did a bile titan mission, we (not me) killed it and I didn't get any credit towards the goal, 0/2 after extract. I assume I have to kill them personally?

Is everything else communal though? Medals, samples and currency that are recovered and made it to extract?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Turin Turambar posted:

I never read the modificators. I just click in whatever planet I think it will be fancy. Reading is for unpatriotic nerds!

And for people smarter than me...
Let's rephrase that then: why is anyone playing on draupnir if a missed shot by a random raider can hit a pimple behind you and send you careening 50 feet into the air into the nearest rock/minefield

also why is anyone on draupnir if there's constant rain/fog and the automatons do not give a poo poo about rain or fog

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Draupnir is pretty, fighting the bots is more than fighting the bugs, and if I wanted a perfectly frictionless experience, I would play on Trivial.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Sestze posted:

Let's rephrase that then: why is anyone playing on draupnir if a missed shot by a random raider can hit a pimple behind you and send you careening 50 feet into the air into the nearest rock/minefield

Sounds like a skill issue tbh

Sestze posted:

also why is anyone on draupnir if there's constant rain/fog and the automatons do not give a poo poo about rain or fog
They do actually. Their visual detection range goes down in rain/fog. If you give away your position they'll still fire in your general direction though.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Just pretend like you’re Scottish commandos and the bots are perfidious Albion.

Why else would you be fighting in a bog over sheep pastures?

Need some plaid armor options.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Zwabu posted:

So today's personal order is to kill 2 bile titans. I was in a group that did a bile titan mission, we (not me) killed it and I didn't get any credit towards the goal, 0/2 after extract. I assume I have to kill them personally?

Is everything else communal though? Medals, samples and currency that are recovered and made it to extract?

I did the second titan kill with a group and I don't think I got the last hit in, but it still satisfied the mission.

The first one I did solo since the matchmaking wasn't working at all and it was a trip. I was at level ~7 and I don't have any of the meaty stratagems unlocked yet but I finally managed to squish it with the pod for my last life. Eventually a charger got me; I may have failed to evacuate but by god, I got the job done.

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 17, 2024

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i had the same thing happen but it worked on the 2nd mission and i did not personally kill any titans. maybe its cause i joined the first one mid mission even thought the 2 kills did happen after i joined.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

johnny park posted:

Which is why I am more angry that I can't look at the mission type, or even planetary effects most of the time, when trying to reinforce missions. Than "actually you and a second guy joining were instantly kicked by a duo, and your next mission failed to load"

No wonder I am hardly bringing airburst anymore. I love it, but I love not having it be a total party kill threat because I was not allowed to know it was a scatter mission more.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Bugs laying booby traps on me

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...d2ecae428b5e0c&

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I’ve killed a solid dozen bile titans with my reinforcement pod but I’ve also gotten stuck under a bile titan corpse by trying to kill it with my pod about two dozen times.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’ve been out for two weeks.

Am I misremembering, or did the railgun get weaker? I thought that’s what I was popping charger armor off with before, but it seems to bounce all the time now?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Internet Explorer posted:

Playing with some friends last night and we ran out of reinforcements. One Helldiver left, struggling to survive until the next reinforcement is available. He calls it down and the guy lands right on top of him, killing him instantly. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

lmao nice

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Triarii posted:

No I will not ADS

If you will not ADS at this range, crouch.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

I’ve been out for two weeks.

Am I misremembering, or did the railgun get weaker? I thought that’s what I was popping charger armor off with before, but it seems to bounce all the time now?

The railgun got nerfed a while back and now requires 2-3 charged shots in unsafe mode to break their leg armor. In safe mode shots will deflect. To compensate they adjusted chargers so now they die to a single headshot with an EAT or Recoilless Rifle. The weakpoint is a little higher than you would expect but once you get it killing chargers is now easier than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Sestze posted:

Honestly if you don't like things like this why even play this game and not arma or something