Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

what about watching tv shows at 0.5x speed and adding some reverb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlFyuwUagz0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I watched the first ep of Shogun at 1x last night and enjoyed every second of it. I also watched two episodes of The Blacklist at 2x speed and enjoyed every second of it. You can enjoy slowly sipping an 18 year old Macallan and taking your time with it, whilst equally enjoying slamming back whatever the bowl of piss equivalent of whiskey is. And yes, I'm comparing The Blacklist to a bowl of piss because you can't put it at the same level as Shogun or Dune lol, but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed. Shout out to all the people that worked tirelessly on creating The Blacklist, special thanks to speed controls because it's not a show I'd watch otherwise.

PS: you don't necessarily have to watch TV to kill time or because you're bored. You can watch TV because... you enjoy watching TV? And with today's society treating us all like worker ants, free time is becoming more and more of a precious commodity. I'd rather squeeze in a couple eps of a show I enjoy whilst still relaxing, before reality inevitably claws me back into the shitshow that is preparing dinner, tidying up and ironing clothes for the following workday.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Earwicker posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bpet67TTVag

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Earwicker posted:

I once fat fingered some buttons that made a youtube extension slow everything down to 0.5%. Watched about 10 (5???) minutes of some video thinking the dude was doing a bit but no, I'm an idiot pissing away my spare time

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fruits of the sea posted:

I once fat fingered some buttons that made a youtube extension slow everything down to 0.5%. Watched about 10 (5???) minutes of some video thinking the dude was doing a bit but no, I'm an idiot pissing away my spare time

At that speed, 10 minutes of view time would equal 3 seconds of actual runtime.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Just watch 2 shows at the same time at normal speed, then you're watching as the artist intended but still being more productive.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Trapick posted:

Just watch 2 shows at the same time at normal speed, then you're watching as the artist intended but still being more productive.

The artist is dead. Who cares what they intended

Also let people enjoy things, who cares if it's different than how you live your life?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This is a slippery slope

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Slimy Hog posted:

Also let people enjoy things, who cares if it's different than how you live your life?

Having an opinion is not letting or not letting anybody do anything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

This is a slippery slope

Pretty soon teens will be setting up viewing rooms where they watch five shows side-by-side at 1x, 2x, 5x, 10x, and .25x speeds

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Qubee posted:

you can enjoy slowly sipping an 18 year old Macallan and taking your time with it, whilst equally enjoying slamming back whatever the bowl of piss equivalent of whiskey is

i guess i am missing something in life becuase i do not find "slamming back whatever the bowl of piss equivalent of whiskey is" enjoyable even a tiny little bit. especially now that im old and i cant drink much, the rare occasions when i do its going to be something good!

Slimy Hog posted:

i do. i think many other people do too. "the artist is dead" is not a universally true philosophy, it's one point of view.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 17, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Earwicker posted:

no one is stopping him from doing anything at all :confused:

Human Tornada posted:

Having an opinion is not letting or not letting anybody do anything.

There's a perfectly obvious implied "without subjecting him to criticism for it" at the end of a statement like "let him enjoy things his own way". No one is suggesting going to his house to physically prevent him from turning up the speed; you're deliberately taking it that way just to be contrary.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

No one is suggesting going to his house to physically prevent him from turning up the speed; you're deliberately taking it that way just to be contrary.

yes obviously no one is going to that poster's house, but the way i took it was that they wouldn't be able to enjoy the activity if they were exposed to criticism of it, which is not an uncommon attitude on the internet. that whole "don't yuck someone's yum" way of thinking.

happily that doesn't seem be the case and the poster is enjoying their doublespeed blacklist or whatever so good for them

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Earwicker posted:

"the artist is dead" is not a universally true philosophy, it's one point of view.

Easy to say, given that Barthes is dead

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I like how people are giving someone poo poo for watching TV shows at 1.5x and maybe not getting everything out of them when the vast majority of people are half-watching shows while loving around on their phone.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

No one is suggesting going to his house to physically prevent him from turning up the speed; you're deliberately taking it that way just to be contrary.

I'm suggesting that. I'm gonna turn off the motion smoothing on their TV while I'm there too.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I like how people are giving someone poo poo for watching TV shows at 1.5x and maybe not getting everything out of them when the vast majority of people are half-watching shows while loving around on their phone.

Those people should be executed, op

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I listen to podcasts at 1.5x speed because my ADHD rear end is subscribed to....well over thirty of them and my playlist is 497 hours and they come out faster than I can listen and I need whatever help I can get

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

YggiDee posted:

I listen to podcasts at 1.5x speed because my ADHD rear end is subscribed to....well over thirty of them and my playlist is 497 hours and they come out faster than I can listen and I need whatever help I can get

Podcasts at 1.5x speed is the natural state of affairs. Watching Meatspin: The Musical at 1.5x speed like that swinging dick is going to turn them into a helicopter and they're going to come out of the screen at you is a bit weird.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Has anyone tried DDPYoga? I’m a little confused, am I supposed to be doing isometric muscle tension the whole time through all of the movements?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Has anyone tried DDPYoga? I’m a little confused, am I supposed to be doing isometric muscle tension the whole time through all of the movements?

You're probably better off asking over here

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

ultrafilter posted:

You're probably better off asking over here

Good idea, thanks!

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Can you wash self-adhesive bandages? I have some with a strong rubber smell I want to get rid of.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Earwicker posted:

i mean it is of course your right to watch stuff however you want to watch it, but when you then say "and nothing of value was lost" about doing so, thats a pretty insulting attitude towards the work of a ton of people involved in what you are watching
When you think about it, reviews are actually extremely rude and should all be replaced with a simple acknowledgement that a lot of people worked very hard and that's wonderful.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but the whole point of watching a tv show is wasting time, if you feel the need to save time by speeding it up you've misunderstood the whole thing and probably shouldn't have watched it in the first place.
it's a symptom of like viewing shows/movies in an instrumental mechanical way where you only want to watch them for the sake of finishing them (maybe to post about online or just to say that you did) and not to enjoy the experience of watching for its own sake
and at that point you should seriously reconsider whether you actually want to watch the thing in the first place or whether you're just doing it outta some kinda completionism or social pressure brainworms
What a bizarre perspective. If I felt like I was wasting time by watching TV, I would do something else. Like watch a show I actually enjoyed, for example. Probably at 2x speed. I'm not sitting down to "waste some time", I'm hoping to be entertained. I do watch a lot of stuff at higher speed because I don't have time for all of the stuff I want to watch (or listen) to. And it's very odd how widely accepted it is to do this with podcasts or audio books, and doing so with YouTube videos is relatively common, but the second you say that you watched a TV show or movie at a higher speed people go loving insane. "How could you do that? You obviously don't even like TV and only want to brag about having watched that show. Stop wasting your life! Extremely disrespectful to the people who worked on it!"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

And it's very odd how widely accepted it is to do this with podcasts or audio books, and doing so with YouTube videos is relatively common, but the second you say that you watched a TV show or movie at a higher speed people go loving insane.

by "go loving insane" you mean.. post words on the internet that you disagree with?

because that's literally all that happened here.

as for the difference with podcasts, as someone who makes fiction podcasts, i find the "speeding up" tendency among podcast listeners to be annoying, but i understand where it comes from.. it comes from the fact that the vast majority of podcasts are simply trying to relate factual information, and the majority of listeners are just trying to learn specific information, not appreciate the other forms of artistry or craft that go into what they are listening to. in many cases, there isn't much other than a bit of intro music - the rest of it is literally just a person or two speaking. same with most audiobooks. this is not the case with fictional tv shows and movies, which tend to have a lot more going on than just people speaking and relating factual information, therefore watching them sped up is far less common.

quote:

Extremely disrespectful to the people who worked on it!"

to be clear, when i made that remark about being disrespectful towards the people who worked on it, i wasnt talking about the act of speeding something up. i was talking about the declaration that "nothing of value was lost" in doing so.

and yes many reviews are extremely rude. sometimes deliberately so. this doesn't mean they should be replaced or anything of the kind, not sure where that line of thinking came from.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 18, 2024

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

If I don't like something it should be illegal

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

If I don't like something it should be illegal

The death squad picked me up yesterday and I'm slated for execution tomorrow. Thanks for this, pal.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Username/post combo.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Qubee posted:

The death squad picked me up yesterday and I'm slated for execution tomorrow. Thanks for this, pal.

:byewhore:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Earwicker posted:

as for the difference with podcasts, as someone who makes fiction podcasts, i find the "speeding up" tendency among podcast listeners to be annoying, but i understand where it comes from.. it comes from the fact that the vast majority of podcasts are simply trying to relate factual information, and the majority of listeners are just trying to learn specific information
In fact, you do not understand where it comes from at all. Who's listening to a podcast as a form of research? Podcasts are, for the most part, entertainment. Even the ones that contain interesting facts. People don't listen to them to learn facts, they listen to be entertained.

Earwicker posted:

and yes many reviews are extremely rude. sometimes deliberately so. this doesn't mean they should be replaced or anything of the kind, not sure where that line of thinking came from.
When you say things like "why not just watch things where you actually appreciate ... instead of just trying to cram as much 'content' into your head as fast as possible" it is very clear that you disapprove of people watching TV at faster playback speeds and would prefer they not do it, because you find their belief that it is a perfectly acceptable way to watch and that it does not diminish the value of the programme to be "insulting attitude towards the work". Presumably then you also object to other things people do that are insulting to the work?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

In fact, you do not understand where it comes from at all. Who's listening to a podcast as a form of research? Podcasts are, for the most part, entertainment. Even the ones that contain interesting facts. People don't listen to them to learn facts, they listen to be entertained.

I didn't mean learning facts in the sense of "doing research", I meant learning facts for fun. Like reading wikipedia articles about random stuff, or reading non-fiction books about random topics, which I and a lot of other people do just for entertainment.

Tiggum posted:

When you say things like "why not just watch things where you actually appreciate ... instead of just trying to cram as much 'content' into your head as fast as possible" it is very clear that you disapprove of people watching TV at faster playback speeds and would prefer they not do it

I understand that it came across that way, and thats my bad, but that was an actual question, I was honestly asking whether the narrative/plot is the only thing he cared about. and if one's time to watch stuff is so limited - which i understand, as mine is as well, why not spend that limited time on something where you like all the parts of it?

quote:

Presumably then you also object to other things people do that are insulting to the work?

I guess that depends on what you mean by "object". I find it kind of annoying, or rather a very off-putting approach to art or media. But I don't think it's some kind of immoral activity or crime or that anyone should be stopped from doing so. Is it worthy of disagreement on an internet message board? Sure. Anything beyond that? Of course not.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 18, 2024

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

This conversation is dumb.

Why are snakes in both Disney's Robin Hood and Jungle book portrayed as being able to hypnotize?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

This conversation is dumb.

Why are snakes in both Disney's Robin Hood and Jungle book portrayed as being able to hypnotize?

As a total guess, because one prey response to predators is to freeze? Which could kinda seem like hypnosis if you want to ascribe mystical capabilities to animals.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As a total guess, because one prey response to predators is to freeze? Which could kinda seem like hypnosis if you want to ascribe mystical capabilities to animals.

It's this. A lot of people think that snakes can hypnotize their prey somehow as a result.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

ultrafilter posted:

It's this. A lot of people think that snakes can hypnotize their prey somehow as a result.

They typically are able to in pokemon.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there are certain small lizards (e.g. blue bellied lizards) that can definitely be "hypnotized" by holding a piece of straw or similar in front of them, you can then grab them pretty easily

i have no idea if this is technically "hypnosis" or something else, or if its a method that snakes use, but i do know that it works

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
In all seriousness, nothing is beikg hypnotized/paralyzed outside of pokemon battles, it is (as other people have alluded to) a well-documented behavior known as "tonic immobility" which is a defense mechanism im response to predators, and can also be induced by other mechanisms in many animals (like flipping a shark, holding a chicken upside down, grabbing a puppy by its scruff, etc.)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

But why snakes specifically?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

But why snakes specifically?

People have observed snakes, iirc especially cobras, getting ready to strike prey and like wavering back and forth rhythmically, and observed the prey holding absolutely still (which is a defense mechanism hoping the predator doesn't see you) and then the snake strikes and kills easily. Some people decided it seemed mystical and that it was a special snake power.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some snakes who hunt prey that does this really did evolve to exploit this prey behavior, intentionally rearing up to scare the prey and make them freeze up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Maybe it's a biblical thing as well? The snake in the garden of Eden being persuasive.