Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

space uncle posted:

Just pretend like you’re Scottish commandos and the bots are perfidious Albion.

Why else would you be fighting in a bog over sheep pastures?

Need some plaid armor options.

i much prefer space vietnam to space scotland tbh

easier to break sightlines and disengage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

We fight on Draupnir for the chance to finally leave Draupnir.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Draupnir kinda sucks when it's giant open plains full of fog at night but it kinda rules when it's the very enclosed crags and valleys with dramatic elevation changes that are also full of fog during sunset.

I wish that they'd tweak some settings to make the game generate interesting terrain more frequently.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I pretend my enemies are British people!!! :sickos:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I hope the next major order involves a huge push that forces us to split campaigns so we can't just keep taking planet after planet like we are on the unified bug front.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Loving the jump-pack, meta backpack sweats can go and do their own thing if that makes them happy.
Tactical tall rock in my vicinity? I'm now on top of it, raining HIGH GROUND supremacy from top of it.
Horde of medium-and-larger bugs with frontal armor and fleshy bits only accessible from the sides and rear? I'm now in that sector, raining death on them.
A wide, bottomless crevasse you need to go around? Already flew past it, our samples are not at the bottom of it, I did not miscalculate the jump.

Under no circumstances attempt to land on a Bile Titan with the jump-pack though.
I did, got slapped 150m into the air but told myself heh, I'll just land gracefully with the power of my jets :smug:

At about 50 meters above ground the game decided it was time to enter the ragdoll state and I can now tell you with 100% certainty that the automatic landing procedure will not engage when you are flailing like an air dancer mascot.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I think they've got to come up with more interesting planetary defense campaigns. Termicide seems like a step in the right direction, but it'd be cool if holding a planet involved something more complex and involved than sitting in a base for between 10-30 minutes.

edit; are tags still being processed or did mods finally give up from the size of the goon horde lol

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm having a lot of trouble with the fire tornados. I can't tell where I can stand and where I cant, it seems like certain parts of the ground arent on fire but burn me anyway, and other spots are clearly on fire but I can run through them fine??

Molrok
May 30, 2011

d0grent posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with the fire tornados. I can't tell where I can stand and where I cant, it seems like certain parts of the ground arent on fire but burn me anyway, and other spots are clearly on fire but I can run through them fine??

Seems they can become desynced easily, in one game I could only see the tornadoes and they left nothing on the ground for me, meanwhile the rest of the squad had to deal with the napalm trails on the ground and were going how the hell am I walking through them. Haven't run into getting burnt by invisible flames myself, yet.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Molrok posted:

Seems they can become desynced easily, in one game I could only see the tornadoes and they left nothing on the ground for me, meanwhile the rest of the squad had to deal with the napalm trails on the ground and were going how the hell am I walking through them. Haven't run into getting burnt by invisible flames myself, yet.
Thankfully even though they get desynced, it seems like the hit detection on them is client side, so as long as you dodge them on your screen you're good.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I'm wondering if the awful, terrible, pathetic plasma shotgun might feel less so if I paired it with a jumppack

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm afraid you are simply never going to be a wingdiver

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay apparently the Bile Titan mission where I didn't get any progress was a bug (I had joined that mission from start to finish) because I completed the order doing two more missions where the Titan was killed with no help from me as far as I know, both times someone called down some kind of orbital strike that killed it, pretty sure I did not lay a finger on it either time. Maybe I got a recoilless shot on it once not sure.

Bugginess I have encountered with the matchmaking system include the following:

-Joining a mission but get stuck in a very long or infinite screen showing the pod reentry burn animation (I think once it completed and I entered the mission successfully).

-Joining a mission but bugginess happens once I jump into the pod, sometimes before and/or after the stratagem loadout choice menu I get the animation of me riding the subway back to my ship, sometimes resulting in a kick (with a message notifying me I was kicked), sometimes if I hang around and don't do anything the reentry animation resumes and entry into the mission happens successfully.

-Sometimes I think the mission fills up while I am trying to join, I get the message about information being transmitted from the war map screen but I never successfully join and get a message that the mission was full or something like that.

I suspect most of the failed mission joinings are the game working as intended, the queue filling up with people who got in just ahead of me. I think that is particularly true today with everyone wanting to do the bile titan missions to fulfill that personal order, the queues for those missions are filling up quickly with low level valor thieves like me jumping into missions. I did notice that even if I was joining one person, by the time we got to pod drop scene the game was always full with four players.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Occasionally I play around with new toys but for bugs, Breaker/Redeemer/Autocannon/Impact grenades is still king poo poo for me. Grab airburst, 500kg, and railcannon stratagems. Airburst is super easy and quick to input so it's the perfect thing to throw down near you/at your feet when you want to get rid of a horde on your rear end. The slight delay between each burst means you're sure to catch larger trailing groups and whatnot, and makes up for the smaller impact area. 500kg for harder targets/big boys. Railcannon for just getting rid of that charger or finishing off a titan. AC is just too versatile for me to trade out. Sure, it won't pierce armor but it's easy enough to decapitate brood commanders with it, and breaker can basically just kill everything else. Then just run around with an autocannon like you're a goddamn scopedog and blowing up nests despite having the whole swarm on your rear end. In a pinch the 500kg can kill nests too and it's definitely the least fussy of the Eagle strategems in terms getting hosed because the ordinance came in at a bad angle. Impact grenades are incredibly useful for clearing out dense mobs of hunters (and scavs, but I feel like a wasteful criminal every time I use an impact on scavs) and warriors. I've also killed myself with them too many times because a hunter leapt into it but that's neither here nor there.

I'd like to say I can rock same loadout against bots but bots just piss me off too much for me to really gravitate to a loadout that just speaks to me.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

edit; are tags still being processed or did mods finally give up from the size of the goon horde lol

Democracy is in shambles

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CupNoodleKing posted:

The railgun got nerfed a while back and now requires 2-3 charged shots in unsafe mode to break their leg armor. In safe mode shots will deflect. To compensate they adjusted chargers so now they die to a single headshot with an EAT or Recoilless Rifle. The weakpoint is a little higher than you would expect but once you get it killing chargers is now easier than ever.

Okay! Thanks.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I thought I'd figured out a medal farming method, and it works, but not as well as I'd hoped. You pick the command bunker bot mission, drop directly onto the bunker and chuck down a laser, then grenade yourself until you're out of reinforcement. Easy 6 medals, but unfortunately you can't do it on helldive difficulty because then it's 3 command bunkers.

Regardless, dropping directly onto the bunker is definitely the best way to start those missions.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

Democracy is in shambles

lmfao, site is buggy as gently caress and completely overrun with bots imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

but at least i got my *Eagle Sweat*

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

After playing so many times against the Terminids during the last two weeks (even most of the last dailies were more Terminid-friendly) I played today against the Automatons, because you know, variety is the spice of life.

What I have learned is that the game difficulty swings wildly, I had missions that were a stroll in the park, with the team taking detours everywhere to scour the map, and others on the same difficulty that were Space Robo-Vietnam, where we lost and I think everyone got a bit of PTSD.
I just can think the game spawner is just very RNG friendly, and sometimes, things are more stacked against you than other times.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Argas posted:

Occasionally I play around with new toys but for bugs, Breaker/Redeemer/Autocannon/Impact grenades is still king poo poo for me. Grab airburst, 500kg, and railcannon stratagems. Airburst is super easy and quick to input so it's the perfect thing to throw down near you/at your feet when you want to get rid of a horde on your rear end. The slight delay between each burst means you're sure to catch larger trailing groups and whatnot, and makes up for the smaller impact area. 500kg for harder targets/big boys. Railcannon for just getting rid of that charger or finishing off a titan. AC is just too versatile for me to trade out. Sure, it won't pierce armor but it's easy enough to decapitate brood commanders with it, and breaker can basically just kill everything else. Then just run around with an autocannon like you're a goddamn scopedog and blowing up nests despite having the whole swarm on your rear end. In a pinch the 500kg can kill nests too and it's definitely the least fussy of the Eagle strategems in terms getting hosed because the ordinance came in at a bad angle. Impact grenades are incredibly useful for clearing out dense mobs of hunters (and scavs, but I feel like a wasteful criminal every time I use an impact on scavs) and warriors. I've also killed myself with them too many times because a hunter leapt into it but that's neither here nor there.

I'd like to say I can rock same loadout against bots but bots just piss me off too much for me to really gravitate to a loadout that just speaks to me.
Try the grenade launcher if you haven't. It kills the same targets effectively as the autocannon with somewhat different upsides and downsides-most notably, it has less total ammo but leaves the backpack slot free.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think what will finally push me into using shield packs more, is how sick I am getting of shield players sprinting past spitters doing either nothing or a few half hearted potshots at best (Oh boy, I will get to see how fast plasma shotgun can kill them! One... Guess I will be left with it as an unanswered mystery). Then acting surprised people spawning into a mosh pit of magic hitbox spit are dying so fast.

Sorry fellow non-shield diver. I'm out of hand and launcher grenades again, and down to 2 breaker mags. You are on your own now against those five more spitters chasing us. If we are lucky, shield trooper will grab our lost purple samples on the way back home. After they sprinted past the marked turkey leg entirely in the first place.

Normally I am pretty lucky with randoms. But this weekend on top of way more instability has had a lot more "Amazing post mission stats, but essentially has a death aura and considers any mess they make someone else's problem-*Dives to evade a rocket turret placed around blind corner to cover captain rambo's exit*

Give me back my hot streak of internet strangers who appreciate a "Death to spitters!" mindset in any way but throwing an airstrike closer to teammates than the bugs :saddowns:

This has also been a lesser issue with walkers? Still seemingly ignored by anyone else who can one-shot them. But now the "Headshot to the shins" system makes them potentially more deadly than rocket troopers everyone hates (and still refuses to actually shoot if they hate taking a rocket to the back of the head so much) if I don't stop to clean them up so they can't suddenly go from harmless to deathstar on the unshielded players.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Fori Prime has a type of map I've not seen anywhere else. You can get stuck in the canyons that split the map up and get forced to fight through a wall of bugs, while another wall of bugs come up behind you and pincer you. It's extremely good, and looks pretty too. You also have to plan where you're going to get through the canyon walls and poo poo.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

BastardySkull posted:

Fori Prime has a type of map I've not seen anywhere else. You can get stuck in the canyons that split the map up and get forced to fight through a wall of bugs, while another wall of bugs come up behind you and pincer you. It's extremely good, and looks pretty too. You also have to plan where you're going to get through the canyon walls and poo poo.

The canyon walls might have tunnels and gaps in them too, which you cant see directly on the map. This biome feels like it's gonna be an entirely new theater of terror: we need to plan efficient routes WHILE IN very difficult terrain.
Kinda inverted version of the lots of water + land bridge terrains, 'least on those you could sometimes skip over the water with lucky rocks to land on before drowning.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Section Z posted:

I think what will finally push me into using shield packs more, is how sick I am getting of shield players sprinting past spitters doing either nothing or a few half hearted potshots at best

I use it to not die in one hit to arc thrower mains who always find a way to make sure I'm in the line of fire

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Honestly if you don't like things like this why even play this game and not arma or something
Hey, i don't necessarily hate it, but it's a valid criticism of the pimple planets.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I just can think the game spawner is just very RNG friendly, and sometimes, things are more stacked against you than other times.

Yeah, there's something funny going on behind the scenes with RNG. It feels like the rate of enemy reinforcements is predetermined to an extent when you load into a match. I've had helldive games where it was a breeze and my group was in no danger, then gone on to do a tier 7 difficulty that just never lets up.

Griz
May 21, 2001

LazyMaybe posted:

Try the grenade launcher if you haven't. It kills the same targets effectively as the autocannon with somewhat different upsides and downsides-most notably, it has less total ammo but leaves the backpack slot free.

if you actually want to use it as a main weapon you kinda need the backpack otherwise you run out of ammo after clearing one bug nest because the bouncy grenades are so hard to get down the hole unless you're at a perfect 90 degree angle in which case you could just use a regular grenade

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Autocannon is a great starter weapon for new players imo, while the Grenade Launcher is far more useful albeit with a higher skill floor/ceiling

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've played like 50 hours against bugs and 30ish against bots now and I do not understand people who say bots are easier than bugs.

On level 9 bug missions your ability to survive any encounter is entirely up to your skill at avoiding them. Bugs can be 100% avoided at all times - not that no-hit runs are a reasonable expectation but with good situational awareness and proper skirmishing they are incapable of getting you into a situation you can't survive with the right play. You can always run away, juke them, outpace them, escape around a rock or object, etc. At least with light armor it doesn't matter what you're up against, you have the potential to safely get away. Hunters are the hardest to do this with but it's still possible by e.g. juking when they start their jump.

Against bots on any difficulty 4+ mission you constantly get into engagements where your only real option is to win the fight, which isn't always easy/possible when incoming fire starts coming at you from multiple directions. You can't just lead them away from objectives and ditch them like you can with bugs because they dig in and send drop ships to harass you. So deaths against bots are just kind of expected, vs. bugs where they mean you could have played better to escape.

Both are very fun though and this game owns

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 18, 2024

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Hommando posted:

Yeah, there's something funny going on behind the scenes with RNG. It feels like the rate of enemy reinforcements is predetermined to an extent when you load into a match. I've had helldive games where it was a breeze and my group was in no danger, then gone on to do a tier 7 difficulty that just never lets up.

Yeah, had some insane level 4 missions that just seemingly spawn endless chargers. Encountered the most aggro stalker nest I've ever experienced today on a 7. Like it was spitting out 5+ stalkers at a time. It took us 5 minutes and 10 reinforcements to clear the drat thing. It's like the game decided to just dump endless stalkers on us instead of patrols or bug breeches. We managed to get it together and get the Super Samples and evac with 2 reinforcements left at least, but drat it was tough af.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Would be cool if they added Illuminate soon, and maybe crossover multifaction border planets at a later date

Having to infiltrate a large bot base while kiting a wave of bugs would own, also infested bots would own

boz
Oct 16, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Would be cool if they added Illuminate soon, and maybe crossover multifaction border planets at a later date

Having to infiltrate a large bot base while kiting a wave of bugs would own, also infested bots would own

Robugs

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Crouching, going prone, or even aiming down the sights don't seem to affect the funky slugger behavior I'm seeing. Like, this is my sight picture one frame before I fired. Seems like it should be a pretty clean hit to me?

https://i.imgur.com/gNNcGNc.mp4

I think I can even see the tracer zipping off to the left at like a 30 degree angle.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I still dislike the railgun change, they made safe mode pathetic. I’ve always used unsafe mode but now when I pick up a new railgun and accidentally charge a safe shot before switching I’ve basically thrown away that ammo. It bounces off everything and even if I point it at something unarmoured it does no damage.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've played like 50 hours against bugs and 30ish against bots now and I do not understand people who say bots are easier than bugs.
Anyone who says this is a bugs only player trying to convince others that they’re cool.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Darox posted:

Anyone who says this is a bugs only player trying to convince others that they’re cool.

I think you have this backwards my friend :colbert: Anyone saying bots are easier than bugs clearly has very little experience with bugs, and is pretending they're cool by saying the more difficult faction is easier.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Goonsquad of ours just cleared the 3rd level-7 mission (two SSDs and evac citizens, constantly inundated by bile titans and chargers). Only reason we did is that our final reinforcement landed on an unbreakable roof in the civvy sector.

He hung on long enough to let a crasher re-join, for the next dude to kite everyone away from the area, then for another to hit the buttons. Everyone even ended up extracting, but the supersamples didn't seem to spawn at the dickrock :argh:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

facialimpediment posted:

Everyone even ended up extracting, but the supersamples didn't seem to spawn at the dickrock :argh:

I'm sorry, the what?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

Goonsquad of ours just cleared the 3rd level-7 mission (two SSDs and evac citizens, constantly inundated by bile titans and chargers). Only reason we did is that our final reinforcement landed on an unbreakable roof in the civvy sector.

He hung on long enough to let a crasher re-join, for the next dude to kite everyone away from the area, then for another to hit the buttons. Everyone even ended up extracting, but the supersamples didn't seem to spawn at the dickrock :argh:

There's a particular POI that has the buttplug rock but is not the super samples location. There should be another one somewhere on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm sorry, the what?

The lightning buttplug.