Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Skjorte posted:

Shinryu is already within 2 ranks of eliminator.

oh, so it is! the rank looked yellow to me in the screenshot, excuse me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Given how Tekken Power spikes the first time you hit a new rank, it’s entirely possible that player hit Tenryu via a lucky few sets then got knocked back down to Shinryu and that’s their actual capability.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

all tekken power can tell you is if a person probably played some other characters at some point. do not think about tekken power. tekken power can only harm you.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
The true Tekken power is the power to block low sometimes

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
If someone has like double your tekken power and is at your rank, they will generally kick your rear end.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Almost got to red ranks.
And I'm getting gatekept by other red ranks :(

I'm noticing I can't move as well as other players do, I have to think about how I'm moving which kills all momentum; also my coach/buddy yells at me because I don't poke enough, and I'm ":???: dude what the gently caress do I do after poking? Nothing! How do I leverage advantage when the other plaher will block, get pushed back, backdash and force me to move forward again groan"

I'm finding movement really hard to learn

Char fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 16, 2024

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

WhatEvil posted:

Woo. Made it to Mighty Ruler. Still can't do launchers or combos.

I bet I'd be *really* dangerous if I learned that poo poo.

Anybody got any pointers to learn when I can get launchers off?

Congrats fellow Mighty Ruler Jack-8, let us pound our chests in celebration.

I have started trying to mix in launchers even if I can't combo very well off them, helps keep opponent honest so I can get some throws in still. Heat engagers are an opportunity if you've trained them to expect throws. My launch combos are pathetic though, 40-45 dmg tops.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
For Jack, piss em off with lows and just throw df2 out there.

Or the classic, whiff df2 into df2.

ff 1+2 is an excellent whiff punish launcher. It's also good for punishing those launch punishable moves with pushback.

But it's launch punishable on block so be careful with it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Char posted:

Almost got to red ranks.
And I'm getting gatekept by other red ranks :(

I'm noticing I can't move as well as other players do, I have to think about how I'm moving which kills all momentum; also my coach/buddy yells at me because I don't poke enough, and I'm ":???: dude what the gently caress do I do after poking? Nothing! How do I leverage advantage when the other plaher will block, get pushed back, backdash and force me to move forward again groan"

I'm finding movement really hard to learn

One of the ways to get used to incorporating ss as a counter to endless blocking and poking is to pick your safest on block short string and practice just ssr and hold it to walk a sec after the string is blocked. When you feel a tug of war coming, do the string and ssr, if they try to autopilot retort theyll whiff and you'll be to their side/behind. If you have a safe ss attack or string, use it too and theyll stop poking to stop getting hit by it becoming ripe for walk/dash up throws.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Seltzer posted:

If someone has like double your tekken power and is at your rank, they will generally kick your rear end.

Hey they want to kick my rear end it better be a counterhit.

https://i.imgur.com/yDjajM4.gifv

Char
Jan 5, 2013

OxMan posted:

One of the ways to get used to incorporating ss as a counter to endless blocking and poking is to pick your safest on block short string and practice just ssr and hold it to walk a sec after the string is blocked. When you feel a tug of war coming, do the string and ssr, if they try to autopilot retort theyll whiff and you'll be to their side/behind. If you have a safe ss attack or string, use it too and theyll stop poking to stop getting hit by it becoming ripe for walk/dash up throws.

I'm not memorizing when I can SS, I've tried to play some matches doing my -4 on block string and sidestepping, I was getting constantly hit.

I'm not managing to learn how to play, this is getting detrimental to my enjoyment of the game.
edit: thinking back, the worst issue in my playing is probably going too much for preemptive attacks because that's what feels natural. But this is not SF

Char fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 17, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
One thing you can do to start to internalize sidestepping as a potential viable defensive or offensive option is to take advantage of round starts.

Especially in the lower ranks, there are a lot of players who just immediately attack on round start. Sometimes it’s literally the same thing every time, sometimes they might mix it up but still go full throttle immediately on round start. If you notice your opponent doing that, try a sidestep.

Will it always work? No. Maybe they actually do mix it up next time. Maybe the button they mash has some degree of Z axis impact and you sidestep to the wrong side and still get hit. Maybe you’re slow on the input. That’s fine, because a lot of the time you will dodge, and then you have a free side throw, or launch punisher, or anything else you want to do. Just breaking the seal on thinking of sidestepping as something that you can do and can take advantage of will start to wire your brain and muscle memory to do it better next time and in situations where you don’t have an exact starting point (like round start) to act upon. Learning sidestepping doesn’t have to be something that you jam to the top of the mental stack for the whole round, you can get viable experience and reps by taking advantage of other people’s bad habits (also see: baiting rage arts out of people who use it the first opportunity they get).

wit
Jul 26, 2011
someone somewhere saw the kingdom hearts kid and thought "i want to be him and beat people up as him, forever" and that should scare us all.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Char posted:

I'm not memorizing when I can SS, I've tried to play some matches doing my -4 on block string and sidestepping, I was getting constantly hit.

I'm not managing to learn how to play, this is getting detrimental to my enjoyment of the game.
edit: thinking back, the worst issue in my playing is probably going too much for preemptive attacks because that's what feels natural. But this is not SF

If you got hit then the moved they used wasn't steppable to the direction you tried. You might need to try the opposite direction or side walk.

Maybe you should post a replay since you seem frustrated

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Char posted:

I'm not managing to learn how to play

I keep seeing this sentiment and it just isn't true. Even if you don't think you made any progress at all, sleep on it and come back to the game later. You'll find that you're better at it. Keep going.

Nobody truly improves that much in a single play session. Everything you learn and practice needs time and rest to sink in.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I tried recording some games, I didn't notice I was not starting the stream on YT so these were the three last matches in a 10 loss streak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqzsU5ZcjU
I feel like I was prett ymuch on tilt here, but here goes nothing

disclaimer, I don't know what to do wrt launchers or wall with Leo because I wanted to learn movement and rhythm first, blowing up an enemy too early prevents me to learn how to handle neutral imho.

the first, agaisnt Jin, I felt I could't get into my comfortable range and whenever they took the initiative, they were. I tried punishing stuff but I couldn't.
My gameplan amounted to pretty much nothing

the second, against Yoshimitsu, I feel I got knowledge checked a bit too much but I ate too many rage arts when they were the obvious thing to do.

the third, against King, I tried to apply pressure but I don't really know what consists in "pressure", I whiffed a lot when I shouldn't, I found decent rhythm in one round but in the end I didn't manage to comfortably handle the neutral.

the only thing that consistently worked was db4,1 - I get that I should perhaps abuse what's working but it feels wrong to play one single move constantly.
you'll see me sometimes miss a f,f2 on downed opponents - I'd like an explaination on why sometimes it hits and why it sometimes doesn't...
also, you'll notice I sometimes whiff stuff at very close ranges. that's when I try to do something preemptively, trying to create a hitbox where I think the opponent will be next. this is something I'm carrying from anime fighters and I think it's doing me way more harm than good

Char fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 17, 2024

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

wit posted:

someone somewhere saw the kingdom hearts kid and thought "i want to be him and beat people up as him, forever" and that should scare us all.

Lars?

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Char posted:

disclaimer, I don't know what to do wrt launchers or wall with Leo because I wanted to learn movement and rhythm first, blowing up an enemy too early prevents me to learn how to handle neutral imho.

This doesn’t make any sense. If i am playing someone and i can tell that they have no idea how to do a combo then the way that i play is going to abuse things that would otherwise get me killed because there are no repercussions. Being able to scare an opponent with damage dictates how you play neutral.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Char posted:

This is not a thing. Nobody will respect your neutral if it doesn't result in anything when you actually get a launch. You're just gonna get swung at by stupid poo poo you're unlikely to see in higher ranks. You do not need any kind of fancy or optimized combo, but you need to do SOMETHING so that people respect you.

Char posted:

the first, agaisnt Jin, I felt I could't get into my comfortable range and whenever they took the initiative, they were. I tried punishing stuff but I couldn't.

How much time have you spent in punishment training? Start by learning your 10 frame punish and getting extremely comfortable with it.

Char posted:

also, you'll notice I sometimes whiff stuff at very close ranges. that's when I try to do something preemptively, trying to create a hitbox where I think the opponent will be next. this is something I'm carrying from anime fighters and I think it's doing me way more harm than good

This is not a good habit. If you like this sort of gameplan, you need to either learn what your opponent is doing and react to something that's predictable or figure out how to actually create frame traps.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Char posted:

I tried recording some games, I didn't notice I was not starting the stream on YT so these were the three last matches in a 10 loss streak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqzsU5ZcjU
I feel like I was prett ymuch on tilt here, but here goes nothing

the second, against Yoshimitsu, I feel I got knowledge checked a bit too much but I ate too many rage arts when they were the obvious thing to do.

the third, against King, I tried to apply pressure but I don't really know what consists in "pressure", I whiffed a lot when I shouldn't, I found decent rhythm in one round but in the end I didn't manage to comfortably handle the neutral.

the only thing that consistently worked was db4,1 - I get that I should perhaps abuse what's working but it feels wrong to play one single move constantly.
you'll see me sometimes miss a f,f2 on downed opponents - I'd like an explaination on why sometimes it hits and why it sometimes doesn't...

To answer your questions first, f,f2 is a regular mid, it will hit an opponent who is on the ground but still in a juggle state from one of your launchers, but will not hit someone just lying there. The exception is if they are standing up with an attack or crouch block in which case the mid will hit as normal.

db4,1 is great, it’s Leo’s best low except for the ones that have good counter hit follow-ups. You should use it a ton, basically until they start blocking (which they will). That’s not wrong, it’s actually very standard conditioning, you need to convince them to block low or do preemptive hop kicks or something to beat it, otherwise they can just stand block all your moves. This is very much how the game plays at most levels so don’t be afraid to do it!

For pressure with Leo I think you can use b1,4 into the KNK mixup a lot. It closes the distance fast so you won’t whiff it much. Use the follow up KNK 4 until they block or parry that, then mix in KNK 3. KNK 2 is great if they are mashing buttons to interrupt you.

To address your launcher combo, I think you should at least have a small combo dialed up so that you are used to confirming that you launched them and can enter a route. I’m not sure what is easiest, f+2, b1, 1+2 (hold d) BOK 1,2 is the starter for the rest of your BNB so you might as well learn that. I saw lots of launches and especially CH d+2 that connected but you didn’t follow up juggle. You will definitely get to play more neutral if you don’t combo, because you will just be losing. Launching moves are terrible if you don’t capitalize on the launch because they don’t do much damage alone and are either punishable or slow or other things to compensate.

Here were my other thoughts

My most important tip is to backdash a LOT. I mean like all the time, at round start, or just in neutral. You will be amazed how much they will simply whiff moves in front of you over and over, and you can easily punish with 2,2, or later df+2 when you learn the juggle combo. This really the core of the game, using your movement to create openings, so you should work on it right away if you don’t feel you are learning the game. So yeah, if you don’t read anything else that I said, just do this: backdash a ton and punish with 2,2 or df+2

Other things are less of an issue right now, at distance you use the running spin kick which isn’t great, You can stick to f,f2 or db+2, 4 which will heat engage on hit. Or just spam the b1,4 mixup but at this range you don’t even need to attack, let them come to you and whiff unless they are also staying away.

Another tip is you use standing 4 in neutral a lot which is a good button, but it’s best property is when it counter hits you get a guaranteed follow up. If you see it counter hit, immediately do d1+2, BOK 1+2 (you can mash the 1+2 the whole time), then d3+4 to get an extra stomp otg. this is how 4 is meant to be used, otherwise it’s just a crappy high and you should use a mid like df+1 instead

That’s probably enough for now, like I said the first thing to try is back dashing at round start and just in neutral or after blocks. Then you are playing tekken

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 17, 2024

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
I watched the first 4 matches and i think you backdashed maybe 5 times total and didnt sidestep once. You advance yourself forward with strings most of the time too which is a bad habbit because you dont have control over your character when you are doing the string so you basically just hope that people run into your moves.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Urethane already mentioned this but just in case it gets lost - throw out the b1,4 mixup more if they're respecting you. It hits mid and has a lot of forward travel. I expect to see it a lot from Leos and it should blow people up in the early ranks. It comes out a little slow so you need respect first, but you seem to be good enough at getting that.

If you really don't want to learn a combo you can do launch into b1,4,1+2, then just hold back and mash 1+2 for a 55ish damage combo. It's zero practice which is it's only upside, but it completes the combo mixup for b1,4,3 vs the lows.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Ok I learned one launcher combo, it works with the launchers I use the most (deliberately setting up a CH is way beyond my ability right now) .
Backdashing takes a huge toll on my mental stack though, it feels sluggish and I need to shake the instinctive thought it will hurt me, because I'm putting myself very close to the wall.

well practice will make perfect...

Char fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 17, 2024

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
That's why you do it and focus on doing it non-stop for multiple games until you don't think about it.

The other night I spent all my games doing sabaki parties with Asuka because they're moves I never use. I didn't care what rank they were (orange to blue) I just spent all my time trying to squeeze either the punch or kick parry in. I'm talking just eating EWGFs to the face 0-3 insta rematch to do it again.

I've done it with other moves and mechanics just to see how they work. You could do practice mode, but I just find this more fun through trial and error.

So spend 20-30+ games just focusing on back dash back dash whiff punish. Who cares if you lose, you're learning.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Char posted:

Ok I learned one launcher combo, it works with the launchers I use the most (deliberately setting up a CH is way beyond my ability right now) .
Backdashing takes a huge toll on my mental stack though, it feels sluggish and I need to shake the instinctive thought it will hurt me, because I'm putting myself very close to the wall.

Yeah it’s a little weird at first kind of like how crouch blocking in tekken isn’t as safe as stand blocking, opposite to 2d. I guarantee as you keep doing it in matches and cash in on that free damage you will love it. Remember that unlike most 2d games, tekken has neutral guard for a lot of moves. This means even if someone’s jab hits you as you are in the middle of entering the backdash and at neutral stick position, you will still block. Some moves break this guard but the important thing to know is that it is generally very safe.

You don’t really have to do anything to set up a counter hit in orange rank. Just hit them with d+2 which puts you around +4 or 5. Then immediately do standing 4, and look for the counter hit. This only really works if they are mashing but that’s what everyone is doing at these ranks.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Char posted:

Go into arcade mode or play against a cpu ghost for a bit, focusing on your combo, backdashing, and whiff punishing (or whatever else you wanted to focus on). Practicing things against something stupid that does move and try to fight back is the secret sauce when bridging the gap between practice and real application.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I tend to prefer playing against real humans but I'll try.

Now what's happening is that I'm backdashing, probably, too much: opponents do too, we end up being very far... and then I stand there thinking "wtf do I do now, perhaps I could start approaching again?".
The last King I played simply ran and dropkicked me as much as he could; am I correct in assuming that most wr moves are plus on block?

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Going back to the replays you posted you get counterhit on your wake up a lot. If you get knocked down you are at extreme disadvantage and you should focus on getting up safely and then blocking.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Char posted:

I tend to prefer playing against real humans but I'll try.

Now what's happening is that I'm backdashing, probably, too much: opponents do too, we end up being very far... and then I stand there thinking "wtf do I do now, perhaps I could start approaching again?".
The last King I played simply ran and dropkicked me as much as he could; am I correct in assuming that most wr moves are plus on block?

Leo has pretty good moves to approach, like qcf 2,1 , or qcf 1 or b1,4

This is where you have to start exploring your options and thinking.Try running at them and blocking before you are in range for ff2 or some other long range move. Did they do anything? If they whiffed something great, if not you can go for one of the moves above.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for all your support.

I understand I have to do something with what's hidden behind BOK and qcf.

I ran another bunch of matches, https://youtube.com/live/dsnkS1Z5NrE
06:38 - vs Jin; this Jin was playing kinda... randomly, I respected them too much early on then I felt they had no real fangs

15:23 - vs Paul; this Paul blew me up. I'm having issues predicting Paul's real range, it has already happened in other matches

22:13 - vs Lili; this Lili played a bit too slow IMHO, I started to see the holes in their offense towards the end. I let meyself get attacked a lot, I ended up in the corner very often, scraped by a 2-1 in the end

33:21 - vs Yoshimitsu; I don't know if I sound ranty but the few times I play against Yoshimitsu, I feel very knowledge checked. Oh well.

39:27 - vs Law; this Law was worse than me. I ended up being a bit of a bully, I got a perfect by abusing db+4,1 and df+1.

46:34 - vs Dragunov; I thought I could, but in the end I didn't.

53:07 - vs Jin; I managed to defeat this Garyu Jin, I guess I was partly carried by the lack of familiarity against Leo? They started to read my patterns in the end and I tried to switch mid-fight (not by much).
If you have to watch anything from my link, please watch this because I feel I managed to play the best in here and still it shows my flaws.

The 3rd round of this final set, starting at 54:28, is embarassing and is what I was talking about when I said I don't want to win with a couple of moves. I understand I lost becaust I didn't know the uppercut hits high (I discovered this, later, in the replay), but this feels like... not playing? Dunno.

Anyway, another thing I noticed while trying to force me to backdash. There's a rhythm to it when I get blocked and I block that makes it less intuitive than it feels. I ended up being locked into block animations that didn't allow me to dash. This needs more practice.
edit: oh, also! You'll notice I sometimes don't react to whiffs. That's because I often believed my dash would not have ended up in a whiff but in a block. This is related to what I said before, sometimes it seems the blocked attack is still too fast to let me backdash out of the next attack.

Also, I've noticed some characters can basically... cancel dashes into dashes? I've played against a Lars (I was watching the replay at the beginning of this video) that kept moving back and forth at far range, waiting for a good moment to enter. Is that character specific or it's something everyone can do? Do different characters have different frame data for backdashes?

Char fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 18, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah Lars has really weird looking movement so it's probably something unique to him, although cancelling dashes into dashes is the basis for most advanced Tekken movement like Korean backdash (cancel backdash with a quick db) or wavedashing (cancel wavedash with a f) where cancelling basically allows you to dash again immediately. This was more important in previous Tekkens where the repeat backdash cooldown was much longer.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I haven't looked into lars in t8 at all yet, but he seems more annoying to deal with and generally better than he was in t7

e- also I saw people liking ghosts and I just tried it for the first time..... I 3-0ed Rangchu's Kuma ghost real easy...??? Am I missing something the feature doesnt seem to capture how someone would play all that well.
e2- rangchu is the guy who won tekken world tour with kuma

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 18, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Lars has really annoying mixups and moves with such huge reach that he can be at you from across the screen in a second. It's a pain because he never really whiffs, and it feels like every move he has either high crushes or low crushes. I try to pressure the hell out of any Lars I fight at close range so as not to give them any breathing room because I hate fighting him in the neutral.

I am biased though, I never really liked his design or weird animations. I haven't bothered labbing him so I guess I can't complain too much. It's not like my Reina or Feng don't also have annoying stance mixups.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Nice Van My Man posted:

Lars has really annoying mixups and moves with such huge reach that he can be at you from across the screen in a second. It's a pain because he never really whiffs, and it feels like every move he has either high crushes or low crushes. I try to pressure the hell out of any Lars I fight at close range so as not to give them any breathing room because I hate fighting him in the neutral.

I am biased though, I never really liked his design or weird animations. I haven't bothered labbing him so I guess I can't complain too much. It's not like my Reina or Feng don't also have annoying stance mixups.

I think Lars is considered pretty lame by most of the community. Speaking of, good riddance to Bob!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The ghosts will select the moves that the training data favors but they don't actually adapt to what's going on in the match even if the player would.

The main thing that makes ghosts very easy is that they are extremely passive, if you get a life lead and just start backing away they will fail to pressure you and just lose on time

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Lars is badass

I’ve landed on nina for t8. Absolute beast.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Char posted:

(Videos)

I was idly watching some of the matches while doing work, and I agree with the posters before; your punishes should be accompanied by a combo if at all possible. Especially that Lars sweep; there are so many moments where you hit it, and you could probably do at least some sort of basic thing, but you just let the opponent fall and get back up (sometimes you follow up with a grounded sweep). And you keep going for the sweep, which gets blocked and punished sometimes too.

Like, from my POV if I was the opponent, that means I need to get tagged with that sweep like 20 times before I lose a round, even if you counter hit me. But if I make like 3-4 good reads into say, a hop kick which goes over lows, I win that round. But if you had a combo associated with it, even if it's unoptimal, then I gotta look out for it since I might have 20% or more of my health depleted with one bad guess.

Eventually, you would probably want everything to do massive damage of course. But right I would advise to figure out specifically that, since it's a move you seem to like, and a move you managed to tag quite a few opponents with. Doesn't need to be optimal, but just something that you can reliably do once you see that you landed a counterhit sweep.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Char posted:

Also, I've noticed some characters can basically... cancel dashes into dashes? I've played against a Lars (I was watching the replay at the beginning of this video) that kept moving back and forth at far range, waiting for a good moment to enter. Is that character specific or it's something everyone can do? Do different characters have different frame data for backdashes?

i haven't watched it so i don't know what lars was doing but many characters have stances that move around that are cancellable. Characters have different backdash distances, and all can backdash cancel (though it's less worth it than it used to be).

also, don't worry about the block animation, if you're stuck in it just spam the backdash until it comes out. once you get used to identifying whiffs, you can start punishing them, but for now learn to get the gently caress out the way.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just played a Purple Law that Perfected me 4 times out of 6. :smith:

The only hits he took were trades, and even those were bad. Do actual aimbot equivalents exist in this game, because it fuckin' felt like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know what the hacks are like in 8 but in 7 there was a notorious one where someone just had to hit you once and they would win all three rounds