Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Dokapon Findom posted:

It is kind of mindblowing how bad of an army the IDF appears to be as far as like, tactics, not getting yourselves blown up, strategies to avoid ambushes and other things that seem important to not getting bogged down in a Vietnam-type stalemate against an asymmetrical force with a superior lay of the land

The IDF ground forces have spent the past 20 years basically doing nothing but terrorizing unarmed civilians, if it looks like they've forgotten how to fight an actual war it's because they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FuzzySlippers posted:

It's cool that Hamas can manufacture the rifles used to kill the shithead themselves. I wonder if it's just Palestinians acquiring the requisite metalworking / gunsmithing knowledge or if there's any tech stuff that makes it easier for them to make something like this now (3D printed lathes or some such?).

From the limited peek they showed its just regular machine ship tools.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
From the limited peek they weren't machining their own barrels, but also who knows what capabilities they actually have and what backroom machine shop they let the media team film some propaganda in.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Point is they're working with limited capabilities (ie as much as they can smuggle in) and having to rely on one or a few highly equipped shops would mean theyre one strike or raid away from losing that capability.
Its the kind of situation that encourages simple designs that are fast to make and can be made accurately with standard tooling.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

VoicesCanBe posted:

The IDF ground forces have spent the past 20 years basically doing nothing but terrorizing unarmed civilians, if it looks like they've forgotten how to fight an actual war it's because they have.

They built a whole culture of shooting kids and old folks in the head so they dunno what to do when they get ambushed in an alleyway

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Spergin Morlock posted:

I wonder if that Lebanese migrant was put up to it by a Mossad officer :thunk:

no I'm sure he actually made his way to the US border before idiotically admitting he wanted to blow things up and was a member of hezbollah

Oh the guy who said he was an 11 year old Hezbollah super soldier?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jose Andres has publicly broken with Biden over the port plan
https://twitter.com/chefjoseandres/status/1769521519779029185

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

It's cool that Hamas can manufacture the rifles used to kill the shithead themselves. I wonder if it's just Palestinians acquiring the requisite metalworking / gunsmithing knowledge or if there's any tech stuff that makes it easier for them to make something like this now (3D printed lathes or some such?).

Hamas and just normal Palestinians have also acquired a lot of weapons from dead IDF and left behind equipment.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VoicesCanBe posted:

Hamas is cool as poo poo

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Karma Comedian posted:

RQC said otherwise after we spoke via pm, but this isn't the place for that tbh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao the mod voice. why the hell wouldn't this be the place for "that?"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Atrocious Joe posted:

Jose Andres has publicly broken with Biden over the port plan
https://twitter.com/chefjoseandres/status/1769521519779029185

:lol:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

it was never explained why a new port needed to be constructed given that other entirely capable ports are very close

oh, nevermind, I am still thinking of this problem in terms of actually providing humanitarian aid instead of helping the israelis exterminate the palestinians

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

"We Irish", lol where is Gerry Adams to provide commentary

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ireland wants nothing to do with some wannabe-irish genocidal loser in the us

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

St. Patrick's Day is a Warrenesque holiday, since any American with 1/1024th of a connection to Ireland somewhere can claim to be "Irish".

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Weka posted:

Oh the guy who said he was an 11 year old Hezbollah super soldier?

seriously. so he's been in military training since he was 10 but blabbed the second he got caught. totally legit

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

you know nevermind this could be really misconstrued

Tempora Mutantur has issued a correction as of 02:32 on Mar 18, 2024

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Spergin Morlock posted:

seriously. so he's been in military training since he was 10 but blabbed the second he got caught. totally legit

i left lebanon because i didn't want to kill people. but now that i'm in america i'm here to make a bomb.

i'd say it makes sense but if he got caught at the border he didn't really get the chance to meet many americans

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/idf-troops-operating-at-shifa-hospital-in-gaza-city-following-intel-on-hamas-terror-activity/

quote:

The Israel Defense Forces says troops are operating overnight at the Al-Shifa hospital complex in Gaza City amid intelligence that senior Hamas officials were in the area and using the hospital to plan and carry out terror activity.

In a statement overnight, the military says troops at the hospital were “briefed in advance regarding the importance of preventing harm to civilians, patients, medical teams, and medical equipment” and that Arabic speakers were with the security forces to facilitate communication with patients and staff.

The patients and the medical teams were not ordered to evacuate the hospital but the military created pathways for civilians to leave the area, the IDF says.

Once the operation at the hospital is over, “the IDF will continue the humanitarian effort and provide food, water and additional supplies to the patients and civilians in the complex,” the military says.

In an accompanying video message, IDF Spokesperson Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari says the IDF is conducting a “high-precision operation in limited areas of Shifa Hospital, following concrete intelligence that demanded immediate action.”

“We know that senior Hamas terrorists have regrouped inside the hospital,” he says, “and are using it to command attacks against Israel.”

He says forces have undergone “specified training to prepare them for the sensitive environment and the complex scenarios they may encounter” at the hospital.

“We seek no harm to the civilians Hamas is hiding behind,” he says, adding that the IDF will conduct its operation “with caution and care while ensuring that the hospital continues its important functions.”

The IDF has repeatedly accused Hamas of deliberately operating from civilian areas, including hospitals, schools, mosques, and shelters.

Israel has presented evidence to back up long-standing allegations that Hamas used Al-Shifa Hospital as a major operational hub and command center and that the hospital sat atop tunnels housing headquarters for Hamas fighters using patients as shields. The US has previously corroborated the evidence presented by Israel.

Last month, the New York Times reported that a tunnel underneath Al-Shifa was used extensively by Hamas for military operations and is nearly twice as long as the IDF had previously revealed.
IDF decided it was time to kill more patients

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

bedpan posted:

it was never explained why a new port needed to be constructed given that other entirely capable ports are very close

oh, nevermind, I am still thinking of this problem in terms of actually providing humanitarian aid instead of helping the israelis exterminate the palestinians

it's about the natural gas fields nearby and has nothing to do with supporting the people of Palestine with aid. Hope this helps

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

it's about the natural gas fields nearby and has nothing to do with supporting the people of Palestine with aid. Hope this helps

that does thanks!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

In all seriousness I think Israel’s hope is that they can push Palestinians into the port area for aid and making it too dangerous for them to come back and create a situation where the US is compelled to then boat them over to some other country in the Mediterranean that the US can force better than Israel to make “temporary” refugee camps.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if multiple factions in the US and Israel have different ideas for what the port should actually accomplish. The imperialists and zionists want to crush the Palestinian resistance, but they don't actually know how to do that.

Like, Jose Andres seemed to be under the impression until like yesterday that his effort was what Biden was talking about at the State of the Union. He is just a celebrity chef, but he's a celebrity chef who is a big presence in DC and has done PR events over the past months with the Gulf monarchies, Zelensky, and Doug Emhoff. If he's not getting the memo on what the messaging should be, then the White House is either now positioning him to be controlled opposition or they literally don't have a clear message. Either option is pretty desperate.

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 03:37 on Mar 18, 2024

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if multiple factions in the US and Israel have different ideas for what the port should actually accomplish. The imperialists and zionists want to crush the Palestinian resistance, but they don't actually know how to do that.

true. it seems like it may also be used to "voluntarily deport" Palestinians without Egypt or Jordan getting a say on the details

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Spergin Morlock posted:

true. it seems like it may also be used to "voluntarily deport" Palestinians without Egypt or Jordan getting a say on the details

Given how insane Israel has been over even the slightest pushback from the west and the lack of rage over the US doing something that if you take the US at their word at the very least implies a degree of rupture I can only conclude that this is why even the less disciplined part of the Netanyahu cabinet hasn’t made any noise about it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Given how insane Israel has been over even the slightest pushback from the west and the lack of rage over the US doing something that if you take the US at their word at the very least implies a degree of rupture I can only conclude that this is why even the less disciplined part of the Netanyahu cabinet hasn’t made any noise about it.

yeah it's pretty clear. people calling this a conspiracy theory are pretty epic in the brain imo

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I think somebody had posted a bit earlier today that the port construction could be part of an Israeli plan to cut the North and South of Gaza off from each other, but yeah I'd agree part of their agreement is almost certainly a bunch of fascist dipshits hoping they can throw Palestinians onto boats to Europe that can mysteriously capsize on the way.

Edit: I remember somebody in the Israeli government specifically proposing that they split up the Palestinians into small groups and send them all over the world in order to reduce the potential backlash like they'd see if they just did another Nakba.

It's also just clearly nonsensical. Like, it would be a stupid conspiracy theory if Israel weren't a genocidal ethno-state, but they are, so we have these stupid rear end ideas that are entirely too reminiscent of German plans to deport Jewish people prior to the Holocaust.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Mar 18, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

speng31b posted:

yeah it's pretty clear. people calling this a conspiracy theory are pretty epic in the brain imo

I don’t entertain this conspiracy nonsense. Get some media literacy. Anyway Biden is definitely conspiring behind closed doors to bring an end to this trust me bro he’s really putting the screws to Israel and remember to vote blue also like Trump would be better these pesky Muslims in Michigan don’t know what’s best for them unlike me

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Israel and USA would conspire together to genocide tens or hundreds of thousands of people but ethnic cleansing oh no that's a conspiracy theory :smuggo:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Like, Jose Andres seemed to be under the impression until like yesterday that his effort was what Biden was talking about at the State of the Union. He is just a celebrity chef, but he's a celebrity chef who is a big presence in DC and has done PR events over the past months with the Gulf monarchies, Zelensky, and Doug Emhoff. If he's not getting the memo on what the messaging should be, then the White House is either now positioning him to be controlled opposition or they literally don't have a clear message. Either option is pretty desperate.

Look, we are forging a casus belli.

And we need admitted American boots on the ground to do it

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ikanreed posted:

It is so evil I didn’t even think of it but if “ISIS” suicide bombs the port and gives the US cover to directly intervene it would make the whole “HAMAS-ISIS” angle in propaganda make more sense especially given “ISIS-K” and that cheeky little attack on the joint Taliban and USMC checkpoint in Kabul

By sheer chance I bet the bomber turns out to be closely tied to Saudi intelligence. Weird!

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Mar 18, 2024

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveb...s-for-hostages/

quote:

Former science and technology minister Izhar Shay, whose son, IDF Sgt. Yaron Oree Shay, was killed on October 7 defending an Israeli community during Hamas’s attack on Israel, says he would support the release of “abominable murderers” in exchange for the release of hostages taken during the massacre.

Talks are set to resume Monday in Doha on a deal to secure a temporary halt in fighting in Gaza and the release of hostages in exchange for Palestinian security prisoners. The discussions will cover the remaining gaps between Israel and Hamas, including the number of Palestinian prisoners who could potentially be released in the deal, as well as humanitarian aid to Gaza. Hamas is said to have demanded the release of 700-1000 Palestinian prisoners, among them some 100 of whom are serving life sentences for terror offenses.

In a post on X, Shay says he writes with “trembling hands” to say that if the “despicable [Hamas] terrorist who killed my son was currently in an Israeli prison, I would be happy to watch his execution” but that if his release could secure freedom for Israeli hostages, he would call on the government to sign the deal.

“If it is possible to bring home Israeli hostages from Gaza in exchange for the poor soul of this scum and his friends in the human sewer called Hamas, I call on the prime minister and the cabinet ministers: release the abominable murderers and bring the hostages home,” he writes.

“The life of one Israeli is worth no less…And so, take the one who took my son from me, and also [took] my life, [and] bring our people home. Because they deserve to live and it is your duty to make sure they exercise this right,” he says.

“The hands are shaking as I write these words, but the heart is completely intact,” writes Shay.

In December, Shay said he received threats and abuse since the death of his son on October 7. Yaron Oree Shay was fighting terrorists and defending Kibbutz Kerem Shalom that day.

Since his son’s death, Shay, a tech entrepreneur and venture capitalist, has called on fellow tech investors and founders to join his initiative to commit to founding a new startup for each of the victims of the attacks, and the heroes who gave their lives to protect the country.

Shay represented Benny Gantz’s former Blue and White party between 2019 and 2021.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s certainly doing something to israeli society, such as the example of this guy who wants a full on apocalyptic war in the north decimating tel aviv because

Don't Fly the Yellow Flag of Hezbollah Until I've Had My Coffee

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

exmarx posted:

Don't Fly the Yellow Flag of Hezbollah Until I've Had My Coffee

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

quote:

Since his son’s death, Shay, a tech entrepreneur and venture capitalist, has called on fellow tech investors and founders to join his initiative to commit to founding a new startup for each of the victims of the attacks, and the heroes who gave their lives to protect the country.

founding start ups for the victims of october 7th

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Strep Vote posted:

founding start ups for the victims of october 7th

"I need to make a bunch of money, to honour the dead" -a human being

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
watched norm and mouin tear benny morris a new one, savages going at an invalid with baseball bats. that was good, but the other part got me all depressed. we're probably a couple generations deep now where history has absolutely no context and no connection to anything preceding it or how it'll inform the future. just a series of discrete wikipedia articles that (man)children roll their faces across then machine gun out like a torrent of diarrhea with absolutely no goal aside from an ability to claim they ephemerally posses a fact, until the next shiny object comes along. loving sad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

"I need to make a bunch of money, to honour the dead" -a human being

kind of weird how all the poo poo conspicuously done to honor the dead is poo poo they were going to do anyway: bury evidence (cars), rave, make tech start ups, kill palestinian children.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

ikanreed posted:

you guys are over thinking this.

it is a US military base where navy ships can dock, allowing direct US power projection over the Gaza gas fields that oil companies have been buying leases on for the past few months. the BP lease runs out this year, and since Palestine hasn’t seen a dime of that was not going to be renewed. US ships there as Israel seizes the fields, that’s 1.4 trillion cubic feet of gas to replace Europe cutting off Russia

add to that, by distributing the aid though militia groups the US picks rather than handing it over to the Gazan government, it lets the US have a much firmer grasp of indirect control over Gaza.

yeah, obviously, the US will make hay out of anything that happens to the location or personnel there. never let a crisis go to waste. but they aren’t 4th dimensional chess-ing here, what they have outright stated to the press is a huge gain in and of itself, they don’t need a secret master plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Good point, that makes the most sense why the US is doing this because it looks weak as gently caress that Israel won’t let the US just use its ports, though I think the possibility of deportation without Eygpt’s say so is specifically why the Israelis are letting it go ahead.