Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I really wouldn't spend too much time worrying about your financial position 30 years in the future.

Better worrying about it now when you can do something about it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
^^ it's this hey

I have 40k in hecs debt that I've been throwing money into a high interest savings account for and was planning to pay a big chunk off of this eofy. But now I'm wondering if I should put the money into my super instead. Mr bee says "hecs is a debt no one is coming after you for so why worry about it". But I've been paying it off since 2018 and have only knocked it down by $12k in that time even though I've been paying extra on it each year.

I should probably talk to a financial advisor :(

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

bee posted:

Was looking at this ABC article about how much money I'll apparently need in retirement and it looks like I'm way, way behind where I need to be. Hooray for leaving the workforce to have a kid I guess :(

Chuck whatever you do have into the high growth option, you'll probably catch up.

Also if you own your own house in retirement you can get by on gently caress all super, the minimum drawdown plus the age pension ends up being pretty decent when you have limited outgoings.

Renters are hosed though, you'd be better off using your super to buy a small unit as soon as you can access it rather than paying rent.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bee posted:

^^ it's this hey

I have 40k in hecs debt that I've been throwing money into a high interest savings account for and was planning to pay a big chunk off of this eofy. But now I'm wondering if I should put the money into my super instead. Mr bee says "hecs is a debt no one is coming after you for so why worry about it". But I've been paying it off since 2018 and have only knocked it down by $12k in that time even though I've been paying extra on it each year.

I should probably talk to a financial advisor :(

Yeah don't bother paying off your HECS imo

I'd invest it either in super or a portfolio outside of super depending on how soon you think you might need the money. You pay less tax on earnings in super so it grows faster but you can't access it until you're old af. Outside of super you pay tax on earnings at your marginal rate but in an emergency you can sell some down to get some cash.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i am 40 grand off, is that good? do i just die?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Alternatively, consider loving the hecs off as soon as you can without breaking our own back about it. When I was in a similar position, the advice I was given by various people was "get rid of your debt as fast as possible." Biggest pay bump I ever had outside of flipping into a contract role was when I finished paying my hecs debt out.

Of course, this advice varies based on your income, savings, any other debts etc so the best thing you can do is talk to an expert

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i am 40 grand off, is that good? do i just die?

Try crime first.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Retirement plan: Hope I get hit by a bus and get a huge pay out

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Apparently I'm ahead by 5-10 years on my super so that's something I guess. I struggle to see not having a mortgage by retirement time though. Maybe we should leave Sydney..

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's way more achievable to live in some suburb out in the middle of nowhere when you're retired and living that far out doesn't mean a two hour daily commute

i mean your quality of life would take a huge nosedive but as far as "can afford to buy a house and live in it"...

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Jabor posted:

it's way more achievable to live in some suburb out in the middle of nowhere when you're retired and living that far out doesn't mean a two hour daily commute

i mean your quality of life would take a huge nosedive but as far as "can afford to buy a house and live in it"...

The only real downside to moving a long way out when you hit retirement is the lack of services people tend to need a lot more as they get old and more prone to medical issues.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
As I move rapidly through my 50s I think about super and retirement all the time. Urgh.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I really wouldn't spend too much time worrying about your financial position 30 years in the future.

Infinitum posted:

Retirement plan: Hope I get hit by a bus and get a huge pay out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV2afqzb4Yk&t=25s
:doit:

I have looooow hopes for my future :v:

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Source? I vaguely remember this

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think its from microsofts kids version of office in the 90s, like creative writer or something.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

:rip: to the poor bastard who fell out of a hot air balloon this morning in Melbourne

I saw those balloons on my way to work at 7ish this morning. That's tragic and kind of terrifying, I like seeing balloons on cool, clear mornings

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Dunno but the purple dude on the left was also in 3D Movie Maker

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
hot air balloons feel like you're looking for trouble.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Infinitum posted:

:rip: to the poor bastard who fell out of a hot air balloon this morning in Melbourne

sure, 'fell'.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Laserface posted:

sure, 'fell'.

He just happened to be checking his super balance shortly before it occurred.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Probably overwhelmed by the gravity of the situation

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
If we had our time again we would have paid off HECS sooner. Money tied up in investments isn't bad, but a debt with repayments that goes up with your income sucks when you are busting your arse working and dying for better cash flow.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

If we had our time again we would have paid off HECS sooner. Money tied up in investments isn't bad, but a debt with repayments that goes up with your income sucks when you are busting your arse working and dying for better cash flow.

If I had my time over I'd have done a trade.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
if i had my time over again id try being born rich

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

If I had my time over I'd have done a trade.

so glad my school made everyone attend a big assembly in yr10 to say that leaving school to do a trade was financial suicide and you will never earn more than 50k a year (in 2000s money) if you become a tradie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'd go for superpowers and become a villain and never have to worry about paying taxes again.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

so glad my school made everyone attend a big assembly in yr10 to say that leaving school to do a trade was financial suicide and you will never earn more than 50k a year (in 2000s money) if you become a tradie.

I lost count of the number of tax returns I did for tradies on 6 figgies, while I wondered why I bothered racking up the HECS on a masters.

It's not all trades but if you do a fitter & turner apprenticeship and grab a few additional tickets (confined spaces, working at heights, high voltage etc) you'll always be in high demand.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'd go for superpowers and become a villain and never have to worry about paying taxes again.

Even the Joker refused to gently caress with the IRS and paid his taxes on time.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Laserface posted:

What was with high schools and actively discouraging trades?
In my high school my year level was the trial run for a targeted split Uni or TAFE or 'Workforce ready' pathway thing. TAFE and Workforce ready weren't aiming at trades though.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

if i had my time over again id try being born rich
Just keep resetting until you roll it.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 18, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Croccers posted:

Doing their part to gut and kill TAFE.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would have been the worst tradie, also I don't want to work in uncomfortable and/or dangerous situations all day. So if I had my time over I would have tried harder in school so I could get into medicine or health researchv science type stuff.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pocket Billiards posted:

HECS didn't used to be indexed so tightly. It went up but at a very low rate, so it wasn't particularly worth paying it off aggressively.
Also the increase in repayments is only about 0.5% per $10,000 salary.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Croccers posted:

at a guess i would say public school funding is/was based on head counts so if you had a bunch of kids leave in yr 10 to go off and do trades then they didnt get as much money from the gov.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lube Enthusiast posted:

That's McZee from Creative Writer & Fine Artist

Also I dunno why the gently caress this exists, but it's one of the first results when you reverse image search them
https://sexypedia.fandom.com/wiki/McZee

McZee is bringing zexy back

Croccers posted:

I have looooow hopes for my future :v:

:hfive: retirement plan = [Redacted] buddy

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Laserface posted:

Yeah, you’re telling me. I went into IT, then the IT industry took off in India plus offshoring everything else to save a buck and my previously guaranteed high salary was now dirt pay.

Meanwhile tradies who get up to running their own businesses are rolling in cash and have more jobs than time. Go be a chippy, sparky or a plumber, even now with the desperate need for housing, you’ll have jobs forever until your back gives out entirely (then become a super or manager).

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I definitely caught a bit of that, but had enough other poo poo going on that I'm happy to have finished year 12 tbh

Deffo felt lied to about the value of manual labour in our society.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Oh for sure, I barely passed year 12, would have been better to have gone to TAFE instead. The whole point they would hammer into is us was that you NEED to do Yr12 to go to Uni, as if mature aged students or bridging course isn't a thing. Also you have to because otherwise you won't get a good job and have a good life etc etc

Lumping that much pressure onto a 17 year old is just insane.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I actually think it’s bullshit that the QLD government wants to spend billions of dollars on sports facilities for the Olympics whilst cost of living and the unhoused continue to be major issues.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You're saying some very hurtful things about how much the economy is going to be boosted 8 years from now in one part of the country.

Did you even consider it'd be a PRETTY stadium? (And that someone is getting a kickback?)

No you didn't.

Dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Yeah I want to see track and field at an unrenovated QE2 that would be funny as gently caress.