Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rory playing a bunch of characters was the highlight of the film besides the mpreg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Especially as the little kid(s)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk if it was this thread or another one I mentioned it sort of but I liked when his arm got cut and it was all separated

That was cool. Movie was ok I guess. I’ll never rewatch it honestly.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Hibbloes posted:

Okay i have a random question i need a perspective on. I just finished watching Robin Hood 2010. Towards the end, in the last big fight, the main villain of movie, Mark Strong's Sir Godfrey, decides to book it out of the losing battle, and takes an arrow into the neck as a parting gift from our hero. We see a brief shot of him reacting after getting hit, and he's smiling, almost laughing about it, seemingly. I have no idea why, it doesn't seem to reflect his character to me, or act as some callback to something earlier. I have missed plenty of obvious movie signals before, so im wondering if someone has any idea why he was like that?

Sometimes you get so thoroughly owned you can't even be upset. He's just impressed at the unbelievable shot.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I admittedly haven’t seen it but if I was running from a master archer and they chose to shoot me in the rear end instead of through the back of the neck I’d probably be pretty psyched i got to live

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Alex Garland is all over all place, as is Danny Boyle whom he writes for. Like, I have come to accept that a C-tier superhero movie, historical period film, or futuristic drama are all as likely to be written/made by these guys as not.

28 ... Later didn't even have bad writing for female characters so I'm a little confused. Every single one had agency and a role in the story beyond that of person men want to sexually assault. There's a really sweet brother-sister bond in the second film, and even with regards to sa there's a pretty compelling scene in the first where you learn the pills aren't being given to the 15 year old as part of some escape plot but rather to get her through the oncoming sa; then the youth actually asks if the pills are going to kill her like weighing up the options here it's pretty heavy....

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
MM is kinda exhausting and I didn't like when she made up some obvious bullshit about Steve Martin for he memoir, but when she's right she's right

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1769081306514637290?t=awmjnzV7fCOR--zaM11C7w&s=19

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

MM is kinda exhausting and I didn't like when she made up some obvious bullshit about Steve Martin for he memoir, but when she's right she's right

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1769081306514637290?t=awmjnzV7fCOR--zaM11C7w&s=19

A good point well made.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You guys know they made a The Onion movie? Like the website, The Onion. But it’s a movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched the Onion movie, it's not very good. A lot of the jokes don't really land, and a lot of the segments go on just a little too long. Plus a lot of 2000s humor that has not aged very well at all. Remember when "terrorist" was just a stock character you could throw into anything?

There are some good bits though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqs36vTrds8

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gripweed posted:

You guys know they made a The Onion movie? Like the website, The Onion. But it’s a movie.

A faithful The Onion movie would have had to have been made in 2011 and people just rediscover it now and go "Haha wow that was really prescient, it's basically a documentary!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you want Onion video content just watch Sex House and Porkin' Across America.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The Onion's best video stuff was in 2012 with the incredible trio of Sex House, Lake Dredge Appraisal, and Porkin' Across America.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
I also enjoyed Sex House and Porkin' Across America

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Going to put on Magic Crystal tonight in https://goontu.be/, 8pm ET.

quote:

Archaeologist Shum finds an antique jade with supernatural power in Greece. The stone is wanted both by KGB’s agent Karoff and the Interpol. Shum asks his friend Nike for help. However, Shum is finally caught by KGB but the jade is slipped into the hands of a boy called Pan.

Hong Kong flick that's clearly ripping on a lot of the more popular films of that era, recently re-released by Vinegar Syndrome.

trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcDvNOzpbM8

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

watched Kung Fu Panda 4

was a decent story, doesn't beat the first 3. But it had a good enough script. Might be Awafina's best role for I seen so far, first him her acting didn't grate on me.
Only complaint is that Furious 5 was nowhere other than just cameos in the credit sequence, and they didn't continue the on-going theme of the bad guy going "Who are you" to Po.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Queen poo poo.

https://twitter.com/popcrave/status/1769084215889396005

https://twitter.com/Kari2023m/status/1482724596914823176

https://twitter.com/mimmymum/status/1282588877153357824

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
They've had to stop inviting her onto daytime or early evening chat shows in the UK because she kept swearing like a sailor on them. I love her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Absolutely queen poo poo, but loving lol at this being the first reply to the trans rights post.

https://twitter.com/zencatzen/status/1282619488442019840?t=7rZECLTInDL5wOsOjORstQ&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carpet posted:

They've had to stop inviting her onto daytime or early evening chat shows in the UK because she kept swearing like a sailor on them. I love her.

She claims to have been the first person ever to say "gently caress" on British TV in the '60s - probably a tall tale but still. I hadn't seen the Israel quote before but that is indeed queen poo poo (she herself is Jewish)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Im watching this movie that at first seemed not very good but then it turned out it features John Lithgow and Dan Akroyd playing brothers, so it’s actually good.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Going to put on Magic Crystal tonight in https://goontu.be/, 8pm ET.

So this movie loving ruled.

The fight choreography rules, and there's plenty of it. In between, you get a lot of slapstick, but it's also actually well done and funny. It's also sufficiently crazy and goes in directions you will not anticipate or fathom.

Whole thing is on Youtube, highly recommend, folks had a good time with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOYlg_qnFM

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

CatstropheWaitress posted:

So this movie loving ruled.

The fight choreography rules, and there's plenty of it. In between, you get a lot of slapstick, but it's also actually well done and funny. It's also sufficiently crazy and goes in directions you will not anticipate or fathom.

Whole thing is on Youtube, highly recommend, folks had a good time with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOYlg_qnFM

Haha that's a hell of a title card

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched The Campaign. Surprisingly good! There were a lot of solid jokes. I think it works because it keeps the satire very broad. Outside of Dan Akroyd and John Lithgow as the Moch Brothers, there's nothing that's a specific 1 for 1 parody to a real thing. And the only political position it really puts forward is campaign finance reform. And even that doesn't take up too much time because it's such a toothless, impotent political cause you can't really much on it. Instead the humor comes from the two characters and their ever escalating feud.

My one real criticism is it has an unearned non-cynical ending where they both do "the right thing" even though what one of them does doesn't really seem like the right thing based on the events of the movie to that point but it's the sort of thing that feels like the right thing. But they get through the ending pretty quick and it's a comedy so a bad ending isn't a killer like it can be in other genres.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

The Onion's best video stuff was in 2012 with the incredible trio of Sex House, Lake Dredge Appraisal, and Porkin' Across America.

I have a soft spot for the lesser known Doctor Good. The Perfect Human is a living testament to God's fallibility!

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 17, 2024

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Happy St. Patrick's day CD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ysg3uJPstk

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

God I love that scene. Love that whole film, actually.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's a great scene, but I feel obligated to point out Danny Boy was written by a Limey.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched two movies tonight, Amsterdam Heavy and The Way Things Go.

Amsterdam Heavy was a low budget crime action movie, the kind where you can tell that all the guys with fight scenes are MMA fighters even if you know nothing about the MMA, and they had enough money to get Michael Madsen for half a day of shooting which they cleverly sprinkled throughout the movie. The fights were OK but not well shot, there were a couple ladies who loved murder, but overall pretty dull. The most lively part is a shootout where both guys are riding bicycles on opposite sides of a canal shooting each other. That was pretty good. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend Amsterdam Heavy

The Way Things Go is a half hour long video of a Rube Goldberg machine. It's pretty good. You genuinely think of Rube Goldberg machines as being rather tidy, but this is very dirty and grimy, lots of oil and fireworks. A lot of fire generally, way more than you expect in a Rube Goldberg machine. Which is sort of counteracted by quite long periods of waiting for something to slowly make it's way down an incline or whatever, in a way where it always feels like it's just about to stop short. That mix of tension and explosion really keeps the thing entertaining throughout it's whole runtime. It does have a couple drawbacks. First off, there are a few cuts. Which really makes the thing less technically impressive. And there's no real end, the sequence just stops without any kind of conclusion or clear end point. But it's still not a bad half hour. Would recommend The Way Things Go.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So in Dream Scenario, that dream advertising company was totally beta testing their technology on nic cage’s character, right?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I finally watched Gusti the Strong and I laughed heartily. Fantastic!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The only gags I remember from the Onion movie is the seatbelt that decapitates you on impact, which is a funny visual, and Steven Seagal as the Cockpuncher, a martial artist who punches dudes in the dick. From what I remember seeing of it in college, it wasn’t nearly as good as Sex House. When it recently came out that cast members on Love Is Blind had restricted access to food and could only drink booze, it felt really weird.

I went to see End of Eva as part of the “theatrical” showing yesterday but I’m pretty sure my theater hosed it up somehow because they moved screens, started 5 minutes late, didn’t show any trailers or the usual that comes with a Gkids showing, and most damning, streamed it off Netflix. Nothing kills the mood of The End of Evangelion like seeing Asuka say “disgusting” and then immediately popping up “Recommended for you: Brooklyn Nine-Nine.”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I went to see End of Eva as part of the “theatrical” showing yesterday but I’m pretty sure my theater hosed it up somehow because they moved screens, started 5 minutes late, didn’t show any trailers or the usual that comes with a Gkids showing, and most damning, streamed it off Netflix. Nothing kills the mood of The End of Evangelion like seeing Asuka say “disgusting” and then immediately popping up “Recommended for you: Brooklyn Nine-Nine.”

Gold.

That sucks for you, but that's gold.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lmao. That owns.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I gotta say, Netflix trying to play big on anime loving sucks rear end because whatever they do for their subtitles just doesn’t work. They can only show one subtitle onscreen at a time, which means if a character’s talking while important Japanese text is on the screen (like, say, Stone Ocean episode names or in the big Seele office with the pendulum), you just won’t get that translation. They’ve paid big bucks on anime, getting exclusives from Trigger and the worldwide streaming rights to Jojo and Eva have got to be expensive, but their service just isn’t built for it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

What did people think of the previous Ghostbuster movie with the new kid gang?
I see another one is coming out this week.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I thought it kind of lame and just repeating the original. But I think it did well? Many of my friend's kids are into ghostbusters now so something must have worked.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I gotta say, Netflix trying to play big on anime loving sucks rear end because whatever they do for their subtitles just doesn’t work. They can only show one subtitle onscreen at a time, which means if a character’s talking while important Japanese text is on the screen (like, say, Stone Ocean episode names or in the big Seele office with the pendulum), you just won’t get that translation. They’ve paid big bucks on anime, getting exclusives from Trigger and the worldwide streaming rights to Jojo and Eva have got to be expensive, but their service just isn’t built for it.

No, most streaming services' subtitle systems aren't really made for typesetting.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GateOfD posted:

What did people think of the previous Ghostbuster movie with the new kid gang?
I see another one is coming out this week.

I wasn't a fan, really felt like it was made for the loreheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They also made Stay Puft into Minons because I remember thing from old