Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Budzilla posted:

Why does anyone care about what Holly Valance thinks in TYOOL 2014? Let alone 2024?

We don't really, it's just another barometer of how certain conversations are going.

nocturama posted:

It’s probably a product of her being married to a British billionaire

More to do with the media diet she's consumed as a part of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

We don't really, it's just another barometer of how certain conversations are going.

What loving conversations? Trophy wives of billionaires are what we care about?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Paracausal posted:

What loving conversations?

The conversations about climate change and our collective response to it, things of that nature

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 16, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Basically, the ABC demonstrated its ideological opposition to nuclear. Yet when the discussion of why Nuclear has suffered under such resistance that has pushed up its costs, the O&G industry conspiracy is invoked as to why it had to be shuttered in Germany, can't get ahead in Australia, etc.

The reason why nuclear has not been done in Australia is because neither the Labor party nor the LNP have supported it while in government, both have been much happier to keep fossil fuels going.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i thought electric wrigglies was just listing the arguments dutton was making not agreeing with them idk but maybe i'm wrong there

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I still mix up electric wiggles and bucky because they briefly shared the same AV

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

Dutton disparaging CSIRO.

Lol, loving coles. loving SDA, scab rear end loving union.

Christ the SDA are just utter cunts

Getting paid junior rates as a 20 year old, gently caress me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I know state by elections heavily swing against incumbents and Inala is too early to tell but west Ipswich is at an 18.5 percent swing to the LNP with 40% counted drat

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Antony Green called it for the LNP by 8pm There's a faint swing to the Greens but no real surprises

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Lnp off by 3 wards from a majority but even a Labor greens coalition would take almost all the remaining contests to achieve, not a lot of big swings, greens looked like contenders in Enoggera for a little bit there which was surprising to me given my experience with the area but once again the bougie west carry the greens, Northside very emphatically votes LNP and southside dabbles with both major parties and inner south is greens heartland so not that much different than the state and federal voting patterns for brisbane. The state by elections are potentially more interesting wrt predictions for the state election I guess?

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 16, 2024

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
They weren't going to start counting preferences until today anyway - good showing regardless by the Greens, the ALP should take note (they won't)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Recoome posted:

They weren't going to start counting preferences until today anyway - good showing regardless by the Greens, the ALP should take note (they won't)

We have taken note of recent results and decided the correct course of action is:
1) more attacks on the greens political party
2) more policies from the LNP

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

the ALP surprisingly ran a campaign mostly based around campaigning against the LNP to my shock.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

We have taken note of recent results and decided the correct course of action is:
1) more attacks on the greens political party
2) more policies from the LNP

Everyone always says they want policies but then you give them policies and they're all "ablooo bloo bloo my franklin credits"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
In loving horrible news, inquest into NSW cops killing a kid after stopping him for wearing a hoodie on a 23 degree day continues.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-17/nsw-police-shot-western-sydney-man-bradley-balzan-inquest/103592578

Don't read this if you're already feeling a bit poo poo, because it's deeply loving sad.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I read it yesterday, what the absolute gently caress.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
It's a bit of a joke, especially considering the bastard that shot him won't participate because of mental health concerns. Get hosed mate that's the consequences of killing someone for no reason.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-18/how-proactive-policing-quotas-sent-nsw-police-searches-soaring/103579210

90% of searches find nothing. Well if you don't count gooch.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

hooman posted:

In loving horrible news, inquest into NSW cops killing a kid after stopping him for wearing a hoodie on a 23 degree day continues.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-17/nsw-police-shot-western-sydney-man-bradley-balzan-inquest/103592578

Don't read this if you're already feeling a bit poo poo, because it's deeply loving sad.

Did I read right? Plain clothes police jump out of car and grab kid by the arm because he was acting "suspicious" (no further explanation needed) and shockingly he legs it back to the safety of his home. I mean "safety" jfc.

We need a police version of the Joe Hildebrand banner (you know the one).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

hooman posted:

What the absolute gently caress, that is just beyond disgusting by the police.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SecretOfSteel posted:

Did I read right? Plain clothes police jump out of car and grab kid by the arm because he was acting "suspicious" (no further explanation needed) and shockingly he legs it back to the safety of his home. I mean "safety" jfc.

We need a police version of the Joe Hildebrand banner (you know the one).

Yep, pretty much. Unbadged cops jump a kid who's been mugged before, grab him without legally being able to do so, he legs it and then they shoot him in his own backyard because "he grabbed an officer's gun".

Maybe loving cops shouldn't have guns if they can't keep hold of them. Absolutely loving sickening.

Note this happened in 2020 and the investigation is only finalising now in 2024. I wonder if those same loving pigs have been harassing kids for no reason the whole time since.

ABC Original Article posted:

His grandmother Nola Balzan said one of the undercover officers asked, "What are you doing?" but failed to disclose he was with the police force.

"He ignored them, which, if you didn't know a person, you would ignore them — then they kept following him and he said something like 'I am sick of this, f-off' and he ran because he was scared," she said.

Didn't even tell him they were loving cops. God drat.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 18, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I had WA cops heavy me three times returning to my home in Highgate from the pub to the point that I recognised one of them, and even then they continued to threaten and intimidate me. I never gave them my personal information (I showed them my keys and explained I was entering my home and they were free to observe) and they hated me for it.

Also very scary having three huge dickheads following you home in the middle of the night.

What this dude did is totally natural and within his rights they should lock these cunts up for murder.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

Yep, pretty much. Unbadged cops jump a kid who's been mugged before, grab him without legally being able to do so, he legs it and then they shoot him in his own backyard because "he grabbed an officer's gun".

Maybe loving cops shouldn't have guns if they can't keep hold of them. Absolutely loving sickening.

Note this happened in 2020 and the investigation is only finalising now in 2024. I wonder if those same loving pigs have been harassing kids for no reason the whole time since.

Didn't even tell him they were loving cops. God drat.

Oh and one of the cops was supposed to be wearing body cam, but wasn't for some reason. If only their perfectly reasonable behavior could've been exonerated almost instantly with video evidence! What a shame!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Eediot Jedi posted:

Oh and one of the cops was supposed to be wearing body cam, but wasn't for some reason. If only their perfectly reasonable behavior could've been exonerated almost instantly with video evidence! What a shame!

Note that only one was supposed to be wearing a bodycam, the other two weren't because there was a supposed shortage of cams

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The family's theory that he was shot trying to prevent a cop shooting his dog is even more heartbreaking.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I had WA cops heavy me three times returning to my home in Highgate from the pub to the point that I recognised one of them, and even then they continued to threaten and intimidate me. I never gave them my personal information (I showed them my keys and explained I was entering my home and they were free to observe) and they hated me for it.

Also very scary having three huge dickheads following you home in the middle of the night.

What this dude did is totally natural and within his rights they should lock these cunts up for murder.

That loving sucks dude and I'm sorry that keeps happening to you. loving pigs.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A mate of mine jaywalked dangerously while pissed, a car had to show down cos he was walking in its path. They were plainclothes cops and they jumped out and told him to get in the car. He wasn't looking at the car and didn't see them get out or twig that they were cops. He pulled away from them and they got extendable batons out and beat the absolute piss out of him. Bruises all over his face and body, swollen eyes etc. He got charged and had to go to court for fighting the cops but the judge let him off. Ethical standards interviewed me. One of the cops went on to bash several other people and his missus and was transferred away from Ballarat.

Mate was being a dickhead but you can't go around, unidentified, snatching and bashing people

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zn_a2lKBmo

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

EoinCannon posted:

A mate of mine jaywalked dangerously while pissed, a car had to show down cos he was walking in its path. They were plainclothes cops and they jumped out and told him to get in the car. He wasn't looking at the car and didn't see them get out or twig that they were cops. He pulled away from them and they got extendable batons out and beat the absolute piss out of him. Bruises all over his face and body, swollen eyes etc. He got charged and had to go to court for fighting the cops but the judge let him off. Ethical standards interviewed me. One of the cops went on to bash several other people and his missus and was transferred away from Ballarat.

Mate was being a dickhead but you can't go around, unidentified, snatching and bashing people

lol good ol' catholic church model.

i was on a jury for a cop who raped and assaulted another cop (guilty on 5 counts; the system works), and the one news article i saw about the sentencing (five years, min 3) mentioned that he'd already been done several years before (but not convicted) for sexual assault on another cop in a completely different state, and he was subsequently transferred to victoria.

vindicated our verdict, but i mean, come on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

That loving sucks dude and I'm sorry that keeps happening to you. loving pigs.

Ah this was ages ago but thanks it was poo poo. Hard to discern why so many people hate cops.

slorb
May 14, 2002
The ABC also published a follow up https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-18/how-proactive-policing-quotas-sent-nsw-police-searches-soaring/103579210

With a lot of statistics that show that as you'd expect the "proactive policing" strategy boils down to making cops hit quotas for hassling people and the quotas are set a lot higher in poor neighbourhoods and indigenous people get stopped way too often and the majority of stops are probably illegal.

Also they started reducing the quotas in 2021, which might have something to do with the backyard murder.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I dunno, maybe harassing disadvantaged people isn't a good use of our resources? And maybe setting targets for the number of people harassed leads to bad outcomes. If only someone could have predicted this, but alas, this is a situation that has never occurred anywhere on earth before.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I doubt the outcomes were accidental

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

slorb posted:

The ABC also published a follow up https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-18/how-proactive-policing-quotas-sent-nsw-police-searches-soaring/103579210

With a lot of statistics that show that as you'd expect the "proactive policing" strategy boils down to making cops hit quotas for hassling people and the quotas are set a lot higher in poor neighbourhoods and indigenous people get stopped way too often and the majority of stops are probably illegal.

Also they started reducing the quotas in 2021, which might have something to do with the backyard murder.

The story is top notch police work. Plain clothes stopped two people, one of them holding a black bag. The officers search the bag, find a knife, the person who was holding the bag even says "it's mine chief" when they find it. Police charge the other person with possessing a weapon. It's recorded on the police body cam yet the wrong person still went to jail for six months.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

my cheap "Stupidest Things Ever Said" calendar's entry for today is suddenly relevant, and accidentally accurate for once

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

starkebn posted:

I doubt the outcomes were accidental

the purpose of a system is what it does

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

hooman posted:

It does my loving head in that someone can have a 'serious mental health condition' that prohibits them from testifying in court and yet can still be given command of a lethal weapon in their profession. EVEN IF there's valid reasons why said mental health condition doesn't affect their ability to responsibly manage the weapon, the broader expectation of needing to use it in the course of policing and the consequential very real likelihood of having to provide testimony following its use, surely means this should rule that person out as a valid candidate.

It's absolutely loving sickening and yet another example of closing ranks to protect themselves from any oversight. Throw them all away for murder/manslaughter.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, I don't think you could get away from testifying as a witness if you were a civilian for mental health reasons, but I am not a lawyer, so please correct me if I have it wrong.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
loving lovely media are falling over themselves to post the one picture of the kid he took without his shirt on with poor lighting.

So some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Is it pedophilia?