Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

a cyborg mug posted:

Still waiting for a Wyvern that doesn’t look like ”slightly out-of-shape man”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
A lot of 'Mechs look like out-of-shape man. It's a Chicago game, after all

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

a cyborg mug posted:

Still waiting for a Wyvern that doesn’t look like ”slightly out-of-shape man”

Gimme a non-derpy Diamyo, No-Dachi, and Salamander.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
So uh. Whats everyones opinion on snub-nosed PPCs?

Provided normal map sizes, they seem really really good with that short range of 9 and no minimum?

I imagine a more mobile and long ranged clan list is the counter, but against IS lists, they seem almost game-breakingly good?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They're very good out to 9 hexes but very bad outside it. They also don't have a big advantage up close, they're just a 10 damage gun, you won't trade favorably once you get into pulse range. If you can always dictate the range you want they're quite good, but like... that goes for everything. "If you can dictate the range, they're great" also applies to HGRs and those are less a workable weapon system than they are a way to tell your opponent you are a flat out better player.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah they kind of function as switching out for the primary gun on a jumpy pulse boat that intends to play keepaway with another jumpy pulse boat, and just perform better once engagement range is controlled to sit at exactly nine hexes. If that goes wrong you can swiftly find yourself in trouble, and it's rare that you want to switch them out for any other form of PPC.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
painted a battlemaster

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Defiance Industries posted:

They're very good out to 9 hexes but very bad outside it. They also don't have a big advantage up close, they're just a 10 damage gun, you won't trade favorably once you get into pulse range. If you can always dictate the range you want they're quite good, but like... that goes for everything. "If you can dictate the range, they're great" also applies to HGRs and those are less a workable weapon system than they are a way to tell your opponent you are a flat out better player.

Can't believe Defiance Industries is dissing the OG Heavy Gauss Rifle.

It's literally the best gun at 5-6, and little do most know, it's literally the best 20-pointer gun at 13, because iHGRs and Tbolt-20s only get Medium out to 12, and the HGR is lighter than the iHGR and gets more ammo/ton than the Tbolt.

What I'm also trying to say is, I don't understand why the HGR is a weapon nearing extinction in Dark Age/ilClan, it seems like it should have proliferated quite well given

Where's my Heavy Gauss Rifle Marik 'Mechs CGL?!?!?!???

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"Where's my $MECH with $GUN?!?!?!" is such a recurring question in this game. I'd love to revisit the Boondoggles concept with weirdo designs like an Awesome with three HGRs and no armour or something stupid like that.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Don't even get me started on Taurians and a certain derelict WarShip.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Accidentally skipped over grave covenant and went straight to the hunters while wanting to read twilight of the clans (thanks humble bundle for not putting anything in their titles lol)

Did I miss anything good/important

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The best 20 pointer at 13-14 is a Clan ER PPC with Capacitor. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Can't believe Defiance Industries is dissing the OG Heavy Gauss Rifle.

It's literally the best gun at 5-6, and little do most know, it's literally the best 20-pointer gun at 13, because iHGRs and Tbolt-20s only get Medium out to 12, and the HGR is lighter than the iHGR and gets more ammo/ton than the Tbolt.

What I'm also trying to say is, I don't understand why the HGR is a weapon nearing extinction in Dark Age/ilClan, it seems like it should have proliferated quite well given

Where's my Heavy Gauss Rifle Marik 'Mechs CGL?!?!?!???

The iHGR isn't a 20-point weapon, it's a 22-point weapon. So the bump in damage is an acceptable trade of two tons when you've already devoted a whole light mech to it.

ilmucche posted:

Accidentally skipped over grave covenant and went straight to the hunters while wanting to read twilight of the clans (thanks humble bundle for not putting anything in their titles lol)

Did I miss anything good/important

You didn't miss anything good, because Stackpole was writing, but they reformed the Star League. You probably already know that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

You didn't miss anything good, because Stackpole was writing, but they reformed the Star League. You probably already know that.

Oh that's the conference they were talking about. I figured it happened off screen. I'll have to look up the order to make sure I don't skip another one, but am reading the avanti's angels book rn

What's that book like, anyway.

DAVION: hey the clans are bad
KURITA: I agree and also gently caress you
STEINER: we must work together
EVERYONE: We're all friends now but will stab each other in the back the moment the threat is gone
LIAO: waaaaaahhhh I'm a baby and also I'm going to stab you all in the back right now
WOBBIES: we're comstar secret arsenal 2.0 and also we have earth now

?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 12, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The books have the order in the back of the first 30 or so, but then they just stop bothering at some point and it's really frustrating. I just keep one that has it on that page near the top of my Kindle library to keep me on track.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

The iHGR isn't a 20-point weapon, it's a 22-point weapon. So the bump in damage is an acceptable trade of two tons when you've already devoted a whole light mech to it.

And the Unimproved Heavy Gauss Rifle is a 25-point weapon, so the bump in damage is an acceptable trade of 5 points of damage at a range bracket that sucks to shoot at anyways if you're running to get inside of it, since usually 'Mechs that mount them don't have the Walking MP to get there :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Doesn't that last part also equally apply to getting to short range? iHGRs can park at longer ranges and get better numbers by avoiding AMMs and PSRs for shooting and moving and still do more damage than an HGR for most of their range.

An iHGR that didn't move at long range is exactly as accurate as a HGR that ran to get to medium range.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Nebalebadingdong posted:

painted a battlemaster

They should have sent a poet.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Nebalebadingdong posted:

painted a battlemaster

this is real good yo

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Arquinsiel posted:

"Where's my $MECH with $GUN?!?!?!" is such a recurring question in this game. I'd love to revisit the Boondoggles concept with weirdo designs like an Awesome with three HGRs and no armour or something stupid like that.

The PXH-99 is so lovable I simply must field it one day.

0/1/2 MP. 18 1/2 tons of Hardened Armor.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Strobe posted:

Doesn't that last part also equally apply to getting to short range? iHGRs can park at longer ranges and get better numbers by avoiding AMMs and PSRs for shooting and moving and still do more damage than an HGR for most of their range.

An iHGR that didn't move at long range is exactly as accurate as a HGR that ran to get to medium range.
Not moving?!? Are you asking to get divebombed by an ASF?!?!? Fancy a meeting with an Arrow IV missile when you're inevitably TAGged?

Nay, sir! I would much prefer to stride on recklessly towards my death, rather than wait for it in terror!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A proper gentleman parks himself on a hill with a FNR-5X and sends the three lights in his lance to chase targets out of cover. It is properly sporting.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh yeah. That reminds me - any suggestions on the final member of this Lyran-flavored pair of lances? I'd like to field them with painted minis in a lot of different eras, so suggestions for chassis available before 3022 would be preferred.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 13, 2024

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You could throw a Valkyrie in there. In earlier eras it's captured/imported from the FS but DefHes starts building them in 3025 and, unlike a lot of other FS designs, continued to do so after the Civil War and the Jihad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A Hunchback or a Thunderbolt would also be pretty decent locally produced designs that would up the chonk factor for you. The Flashman, Sentinel and Starslayer are a little rare for pre-3022 though. The Starslayer is a fun "Lyran by way of Star League existence failure" one for the early succession wars though, so I'd definitely keep that anyway.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
A Banshee would give that force an anchor that it is sorely missing, and you've got a number of options for it at basically all eras of play to mostly keep up with the rest of the Cav lance.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Good spread of suggestions - I had originally considered the Flashman to be the anchor for the cavalry lance, but leaning towards the heavier side on the final member might be the ticket.

A jumping Thunderbolt could back up the Flashman pretty well in that case (with a corresponding jump plume mini, to boot). cheers

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Good spread of suggestions - I had originally considered the Flashman to be the anchor for the cavalry lance, but leaning towards the heavier side on the final member might be the ticket.

A jumping Thunderbolt could back up the Flashman pretty well in that case (with a corresponding jump plume mini, to boot). cheers

You're missing a Phoenix Hawk LAM though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Lol

Before I asked, I was actually considering just a vanilla Phoenix Hawk

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They build those at Coventry Metal Works, it fits.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
what's the deal with LAMs anyway? they dont seem to have BV values on the wiki

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Spectral series have BV, and a quick look at the Phoenix Hawk shows that the base variant does too at least.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Got a Regent mini yesterday, this thing is pretty cool... except for the nipple cannons. Those are a bit awkward.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I finally finished all the pre-Lethal Heritage Battletech fiction and the way the franchise was visibly shoring itself up is quite interesting. I could give a comment on each but for now I'll just say that Sword and Dagger really isn't the affront it's hyped up as. It's also short, which helped, and the events are often referenced later. All the tablesetting the 20 Year Update sourcebook and Wolves on the Border did was neat, and the way that the different authors would write the same scene from different perspectives was a treat everytime it happened.

Gehenna and The End Times were publications I saw at the time, so what I'm trying to do is put myself in that spot of 1989 fan who's about to see it all change forever.

In an interview Stackpole said the idea came from a conversation he had in '88 and this is the earliest advertisement I found from Battletechnology 9 published in 1988 (if the copyright page is right). What else was done to advertise the change in status quo before and while it was happening?

Lastly, I know that the technical readout 3050 was where the clan mechs were first detailed, but when could you first buy them, and are there any surviving examples of, say, photos of the miniatures themselves being advertised pre-release?

Arbite fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 16, 2024

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

In an interview in a German-exclusive book Stackpole says that the specific conversation happened at a convention in Las Vegas with Jordan Weisman. They were talking about BT stuff and eventually came to the topic of the Wolf’s Dragoons, which then led to the idea ”they’re not Wolf’s Dragoons, they’re the Wolf Dragoons” and that’s where the Clan thing started crystallizing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The first Clan Mechs were paper standups (I can't remember from which product, mighta come with an issue of Battletechnology).

If I remember right, it was a couple of years before Ral Partha started releasing them in metal.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Supposedly future force pack lists have leaked for the next few years. No one can confirm authenticity, a bit early for April Fool's though.

The Celestial pack makes me want to call BS personally, also 3(4) Wolf Faction packs, really?

If true, it's all cool stuff, although I'm surprised a group like Fox Patrol is getting its own box, I guess I've really underestimated how popular that soap opera story is.

I would buy that bug box though quickly.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 18, 2024

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If it's a faked spreadsheet, whoever made it has been thinking smart - a lot of those 'Mech selections already have MechWarrior 4 3D models to leverage from, which IIRC was how a lot of the 'Mechs from previous Kickstarters got through the new art process relatively smoothly.

edit: i can't believe my main man Stalker The Hubris Machine STK-8S is getting a mini. Between that and the Highlander -694 (and the Fafnir in that spreadsheet) there is a ton of OG Heavy Gauss Rifle miniature to collect (that may not see a lot of tables in the end).

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 18, 2024

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

It probably says a lot about me that my eyes lit up at the bug mech company pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ok, so post clan jade falcon books, the ones with aidan pryde, what books have the story of Marthe taking over the Falcons?

I'm reading freebirth/twilight of the clans stuff right now and the early bits talk about Ulric dying and Natasha Kerensky getting killed but when did that happen?