Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Begemot posted:

Weirdly, the Clone Wars TV show implies that the Republic had a standing navy, but not an army. In that arc with the cool spider guy, Yularren talks about facing him in battle decades before. Also, like, Yularren's existence as an older Republic admiral.

The clones exist to be cannon fodder, but it's not like the Republic was completely pacifist before the war started.

The Venator Star Destroyers (great design, I love those boys) that are all over the place starting with the end of AotC would have to be pre-existing warships, since I don't think Kamino is also in the shipbuilding business, so yeah it would check out that the Republic already had a navy. Which would make sense, as you'd still need a navy in peacetime to deter pirates, do imperialism, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It also tracks that planets would have their own security force and military while the Republic Navy handled the literal space between, where an army is useless.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Of course we saw Yoda fighting side by side with his good friend Chewbacca
"Everybody already knew each other" was the worst decision of the prequels.

Yes, I do mean worse than Jar Jar.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Republic having navy but not an army also tracks with the weak federal government's inability to enforce things like anti-slavery laws.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LividLiquid posted:

"Everybody already knew each other" was the worst decision of the prequels.

R2D2 and C3PO are there to witness everything because that’s the whole joke. Aside from those two, all the interpersonal relationships in the prequels are either pre-established in the OT or incredibly minor.

Like, Obiwan briefly fought Boba Fett’s dad? Yoda hung out with Chewbacca for a week? Who gives a poo poo?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I got a good laugh out of that Clone Wars episode where R2 ends up captured or missing behind enemy lines or something, and everybody's like,"Well it's too bad, but luckily astromech droids are regularly memory-wiped so it won't have a bunch of intelligence details on locations, plans, access codes etc the enemy can use" and Anakin's like,"Uhhhhhh..... about that...."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watching Artoo kick rear end is so much fun

He even gets a Marvel comic issue where he solos a Star Destroyer to rescue Threepio, and he causes the Imps to freak out and think there's some super droid storming their ship as Artoo quietly trundles along :allears:

Issue 36 of the 2015 run, collected in Volume 6 (2017) Vol 3 (2018) and the Jason Aaron Omnibus (2019)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Artoo is just as menacing as Chop really, just not as brash.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I find it hilarious that Artoo has never once been memory wiped and as such has complete knowledge of pretty much everything (but chooses not to share that information). And yeah, he’s basically a slightly less bloodthirsty/aggressive version of Chopper in terms of attitude if you think about it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Larryb posted:

I find it hilarious that Artoo has never once been memory wiped and as such has complete knowledge of pretty much everything (but chooses not to share that information). And yeah, he’s basically a slightly less bloodthirsty/aggressive version of Chopper in terms of attitude if you think about it

He got a short-term memory wipe once in Clone Wars as a part of a scheme involving Cad Bane and a spa.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He got a short-term memory wipe once in Clone Wars as a part of a scheme involving Cad Bane and a spa.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey, that was Wolf in the latest Bad Batch, nice!

I'm gonna miss this show when it's done, it's got a tighter focus than Clone Wars (which to be fair had an excellent final season after Rebels) and manages to find a good mix between single story missions and the wider scale stuff happening with the Empire etc.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
It's pretty much the only Star Wars cartoon I've seen (unless you count the one Tartakovsky made) and I've been having a blast. Though, I guess having little knowledge of the other characters helps avoid the "hey remember this guy" issue that modern franchises have.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Larryb posted:

Artoo is the wizened old master with ridiculously long eyebrows, drinking from a flask while defeating his enemies while barely moving. Just clowning on them.

Chopper is the young gun, all fire, passion and vigour.

C3PO is the guy from Blue Eyed Samurai with no hands who makes noodles.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

"I am fluent in over 6 million forms of communication, not least of which is peaches"

The golden god fucks.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

Watching Artoo kick rear end is so much fun

He even gets a Marvel comic issue where he solos a Star Destroyer to rescue Threepio, and he causes the Imps to freak out and think there's some super droid storming their ship as Artoo quietly trundles along :allears:

Issue 36 of the 2015 run, collected in Volume 6 (2017) Vol 3 (2018) and the Jason Aaron Omnibus (2019)

gently caress yeah I want this

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Jehde posted:

"I am fluent in over 6 million forms of communication, not least of which is peaches"

The golden god fucks.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough", golden sexbot laments after failing provide timely relief to a group of four individuals.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Started playing through some Blast multiplayer on 2015 Battlefront yesterday (since I guess even though I bought the Ultimate edition you still have to grind for unlocks) and discovered there’s a very specific loyal player base that’s held on through the years

In one round my partner was CelticPride1488. In the very next I was paired with StarFox1399.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Walker Assault rules, also ew

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Artoo is the wizened old master with ridiculously long eyebrows, drinking from a flask while defeating his enemies while barely moving. Just clowning on them.

Chopper is the young gun, all fire, passion and vigour.

C3PO is the guy from Blue Eyed Samurai with no hands who makes noodles.

You take that back, Ringo is competent and likeable, 3PO is neither.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did the strike kill any chance that we get a live action show this year?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

FlamingLiberal posted:

there are two live action shows.

The Acolyte, and Skeleton Crew

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

FlamingLiberal posted:

A trailer for the Acolyte should be dropping soon and is expected to premiere in the summer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alright that's good to hear.

I just wish we were getting Andor S2 this year but I'm sure it will be worth the wait

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Alright that's good to hear.

I just wish we were getting Andor S2 this year but I'm sure it will be worth the wait

I would assume that Season 2 of Ahsoka will also wrap up its plotline, and then the Mandalorian movie will wrap up the entirety of the Mandoverse (Mando, BoBF, Ahsoka) all at once.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I'm looking forward to Acolyte because the setting sounds neat. Hope the show is, too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/starwars/status/1769755843451380154?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

Trailer tomorrow.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This poster seems to be a hint that this show may have a lightsaber

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yes, an acolyte-saber

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We did get a leaked one a while back, wonder if this will be the same trailer

This poster seems to be a hint that this show may have a lightsaber

It seems to be about a Jedi and their former apprentice reuniting to solve mysteries in the High Republic era (making it probably the earliest Star Wars show to date timeline wise unless you want to count Young Jedi Adventures)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 18, 2024

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BLOOD? In my nu-Star Wars??

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Great poster conceptually, the blood acting like a red saber blade is inspired

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Yes, an acolyte-saber

:golfclap:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Larryb posted:

We did get a leaked one a while back, wonder if this will be the same trailer

It seems to be about a Jedi and their former apprentice reuniting to solve mysteries in the High Republic era (making it probably the earliest Star Wars show to date timeline wise unless you want to count Young Jedi Adventures)

Will this be the earliest canon piece of Star Wars media in the timeline that isn't a lame book or comic?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

stev posted:

Will this be the earliest canon piece of Star Wars media in the timeline that isn't a lame book or comic?

Yes, in that it's set during the High Republic, which is the same time period as the lame books and comics of the same name. (About 200 years before TPM.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

200 years before tpm means Yoda is around right?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

200 years before tpm means Yoda is around right?

You're god drat right he is. (Though no indication he's in the show.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well when he's not around everybody should be talking about him

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

You're god drat right he is. (Though no indication he's in the show.)

If he is I wonder if Frank Oz will voice him again (the man is almost 80 at this point after all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well when he's not around everybody should be talking about him

That actually happened a few times in one of the books I read. "Can Master Yoda help?" "Unfortunately he's off doing something or other, so...".

Some people like the High Republic books. I am not one of those people. I've bailed on them at this point. But it's mostly because the plot/writing was boring, the setting was pretty cool.