Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Justin Fields confirmed to back up Josh Allen next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Dexo posted:

No really keep doing the among others. Because add Alex Smith and that's where the list stops.

In the long history of the NFL.

Generally after your third year of starts you are what you are in the NFL as a QB.

The list of QBs with as many starts, and as little production as Fields who turned it around and became franchise level QBs is like 3-5 QBs long

Alex Smith
Rich Gannon
Drew Brees.
Steve Young

Are the only ones I can think of off hand.

Geno Smith had 2 years and then sat on benches for like 7 years.

I hope Fields proves me wrong and balls out, still rooting for him, but uh it feels very unlikely.

I know Brees turned into a monster in New Orleans but he was still pretty productive and had a pro bowl season in San Diego

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you want to pad the list you could argue Warren Moon I guess. Although that was actually racism over the idea of a black QB more than some skill switch suddenly flipping 5 years in.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

a neat cape posted:

I know Brees turned into a monster in New Orleans but he was still pretty productive and had a pro bowl season in San Diego

I'm also not really sure Alex Smith belongs on that list

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
With Tomlin and the defense they won't bottom out to get a prized rookie QB, and when contracts and assets required tobl acquire a player are factored in I would much prefer Russ/Just to this year's Carr, Tannehill, Cousins post-injury, Rodgers post-injury, etc who the Steelers could have vied for this off-season and last.

A non-zero shot to catch lightning in a bottle if Russ meshes with Arthur and puts together one last '10th-15th best QB in the league' type season, with no long-term commitments. And a year to work with Fields and see if he can refine his decision-making enough to warrant a prove-it deal.

It would be a really cool story if Fields can follow a Geno arc on a shorter time frame. Unlikely? Yeah, but still fun to root for.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1769434006355865865?t=mwK0xNhhFvRopThPCfa7-A&s=19

Pro bowler, baby!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Zach Wilson is better than a lot of these QBs teams are signing as backups.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Docjowles posted:

If you want to pad the list you could argue Warren Moon I guess. Although that was actually racism over the idea of a black QB more than some skill switch suddenly flipping 5 years in.

Yeah, Moon was clearly good and while he had a little transition time coming back from the NFL, plus Houston being bad at that point, he then was outstanding for another decade plus.

You could kinda sorta put Steve Young in there, as he went to the USFL first, then had two awful seasons with the holy poo poo terribad mid-80s Bucs, before going to San Francisco and being labeled as an athletic run first guy backing up peak Montana for a while (Including Young having a chance to win the starting role in ‘88 but struggling). He doesn’t become the starter until his 5th season with the 49ers in 1990 when Montana was hurt, and then beginning the following year quickly rattled off several MVPs and whatnot.

Another name I can think of that might fit the list is Phil Simms, whose first three seasons were mostly mediocre, often bad, and then followed by two seasons missed almost entirely to injury. It wasn’t until his 6th year that he finally started to really play well, and still had some more ups and downs but would be generally a good starter for the next decade.

Either way, for all those guys who struggled heavily early on, there’s a lot of others who were bad for three seasons and then continued to be rear end but hung around for reasons being rear end for years onward.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Dexo posted:

No really keep doing the among others. Because add Alex Smith and that's where the list stops.

Generally after your third year of starts you are what you are in the NFL as a QB.

The list of QBs with as many starts, and as little production as Fields who turned it around and became franchise level QBs is like 3-5 QBs long

Alex Smith
Rich Gannon
Drew Brees.
Steve Young

I hope Fields proves me wrong and balls out, still rooting for him, but uh it feels very unlikely.

I'm not just talking about franchise QBs I'm talking about anyone who made great improvements years later. So that includes Geno Smith. He was a punchline of a player nobody thought we'd ever see in any form again and then reemerged. Vinny Testaverde, Kyle Orton, Jeff George, I might even include someone like Tommy Maddox.

Even if he's not a franchise QB it doesn't mean Fields might not have some great years in him in a better organization.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

mcmagic posted:

No one wants to trade for that lovely QB.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

I'm not just talking about franchise QBs I'm talking about anyone who made great improvements years later. So that includes Geno Smith. He was a punchline of a player nobody thought we'd ever see in any form again and then reemerged. Vinny Testaverde, Kyle Orton, Jeff George, I might even include someone like Tommy Maddox.

Even if he's not a franchise QB it doesn't mean Fields might not have some great years in him in a better organization.

Tommy Maddox, the only QB ever to be MVP of XFL 1.0 :hmmyes:

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Zach Wilson is not better than Tyler Huntley

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

mcmagic posted:

I disagree.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mcmagic posted:

He's on an expensive first round contract.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

mcmagic posted:

My brother this is not the way

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wow noone has mentioned the legend Doug Flutie

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

mcmagic posted:

there are no nfl gms in this thread

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Dexo posted:

Alex Smith
Rich Gannon
Drew Brees.
Steve Young

Roger Staughbach
Terry Bradshaw

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pats sign a guy.

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1769455928342938008?s=46

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm sure the adequately producing guy opposite Justin Jefferson will do just fine in New England.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1769466182678073768?t=4LCyRC5trGOMh9q0WqZVSQ&s=19

Wonder who else tried. Philly maybe?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1769367394852471254

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Kalli posted:

I'm sure the adequately producing guy opposite Justin Jefferson will do just fine in New England.

Another MN -> NE WR, let's see how this one does.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

mcmagic posted:

drat, sounds like the jets should keep him and sign him to an extension then

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

*Nods Saleh-ishly*

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

At least he has a pulse and is an NFL calibre player. More than you can say for Juju or Parker.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol mcmagic is free-agent flowcharting, except it’s out of panic that the Jets aren’t trading Zach Wilson

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'm also curious if some of those teams got shut down before the steelers traded for russ

maybe he really wants to spend a year behind russ or something, but if his focus was opportunity to start seems like there are a couple of teams that could offer similar opportunity

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

stuker posted:

i'm also curious if some of those teams got shut down before the steelers traded for russ

maybe he really wants to spend a year behind russ or something, but if his focus was opportunity to start seems like there are a couple of teams that could offer similar opportunity
The Steelers didnt trade for Russ.

Other teams that were interested, like the Eagles, already have an established starter. The Bears wanted to do right by Justin because they are trading him because they have the first overall pick and the smart thing to do is go with a rookie QB to reset the contract timer, not because they hate Fields. if they only had 9th overall (if they didnt have first overall from the Panthers) Fields would not have been traded. Fields chose the Steelers, probably because Russ is in his mid thirties, takes a lot of sacks, and is on a 1 year contract so if anything happens to Russ and he gets to play and does well, he stands a chance of signing a longer contract to stay in Pittsburgh. If he went to the Eagles he would be less likely to get playing time then would be definitely be looking for a new team after the season because there is zero chance the Eagles are moving on from Hurts. Going to Pittsburgh was literally the best available option to see playing time and have a chance to stick around for more than one year.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

mcmagic posted:

This guy is a dumb dumb

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I got a lot of flak in ‘22 and ‘23 for saying Fields sucked.

I feel a little vindicated.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Great job proud of u

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Real jf1 stans know he’ll be the steeler starter season after next 🤝🤝🤝

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

$25mil for a starter in that market who might pan out but you have a mid first because you went 9-8 again and oh shoot if we tank and tomlin retires after a great career and then JF1 is cut then that sounds right to me

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Real jf1 stans know he’ll be the steeler starter season after next 🤝🤝🤝

Starting RB

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The only QB to take more sacks than Russ is Justin Fields.

https://twitter.com/fball_insights/status/1769511516984762393?s=46

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 18, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Diva Cupcake posted:

The only QB to take more sacks than Russ is Justin Fields.

https://twitter.com/fball_insights/status/1769511516984762393?s=46

Fields had one fewer over the past two seasons according to that post. Fields also fits the trendline better while Russ seems like the sacks affect his epa more.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I kinda wish Fields had gone to KC to see what Reid could do to straighten him out, looked good in some garbage time or late December rest starts, and reset his market. Maybe they didn’t want to part with any picks though

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

They are short on picks so definitely not spending any for a one year rental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If some team can just drill it into Justin's head to throw the ball when he sees what he sees and not second guess or worry about throwing a pick.

Not defending Getsy, because Getsy is rear end.

But watching Justin Fields tape is loving obnoxious, I can only imagine what being his OC is like. because unlike Mitch, Justin can actually read an NFL defense. Justin's problem, is just that he is looking at the right spot, it feels like his body knows he should throw it, and yet he just doesn't loving throw it and then his Line expecting a throw in that timeframe is compromised, or he just scrambles from a clean pocket and then is either sacked, or does some of the most insanely athletic and amazing poo poo you will ever see on a football field, to get the same outcome he would have got if he just threw the goddamn dig or out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I63MBuRG83c

It's this first play, all over his tape

You gotta loving throw that. You know you don't have enough blockers. He even hitches and starts to bring the ball up, but then just decides not to loving throw the ball for whatever reason.

If you can get him over whatever that mental block he has where he just doesn't throw the loving ball at the open receiver he is looking at, and not have to hesitate to make sure everything is perfect, which leads to closed windows. I think you can have a pretty decent QB. Because his eyes are like almost always in the right spot, he just always loving hesitates when playing within structure for some loving reason.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 18, 2024