Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Monica Bellucci posted:

Mostly no Zendaya in the first one.
Yodeling women on soundtrack.
Black and white sequences (?, like Oppenheimer)
White saviour.
Drugs are the best thing in the universe.

This is happening but it's

Known IP, greenlight four-quad demo titles that transcend demographics
Treat the source material with respect and the fans will come. Hands off unless reshoots are needed, testing will determine. Lessons: Five Nights at Freddy's.
Eventize the theater-going experience, hire influencers to dress up and create combustible moments
Full 360 campaign to increase unaided awareness with activations and media placement
Make concessions appear like sex toys
Prepare for post-Tik Tok social campaign pivot: more discussion needed. Schedule brainstorm. Instagram? Back to Twitter?
Cocaine: how much before it begins to deter enjoyment of the blowjob experience. Find the line. Heh. Line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Executives: What other Herbert properties can we adapt?

Answer: Hellstrom's Hive, the series

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dune has proven itself hard to not be 4-quadrant at all. basically 70% men, one of the most male serious-budget movies of all time

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well I'm not talking about Dune, I'm talking about what to greenlight but okay

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Here’s my unifying theory of all the Dune books (by Frank and his son alike):

Once you read Dune, you read Dune Messiah if you want to know what happened next to Paul.

Children of Dune and God Emperor, if you want to know what happened next to Dune.

Heretics and Chapterhouse, if you want to know what happened next to Frank Herbert.

That's a nice take on it. :thumbsup:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Oppenheimer though probably does have some suit trying to make the next big movie about a real life morally ambiguous genius unleashing horrors upon the earth.

Jerry Bruckheimer presents: Midgley

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Jerry Bruckheimer presents: Midgley

Warner bros coming up from behind with their Fritz Haber five part epic with Chris Pratt as Haber, Sydney Sweeney as Clara Immerwahr and Anthony Mackie as Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

If I wanted a non-Dune Herbert work to be adapted, I'd have to go weird and say Whipping Star.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Definitely the Heavenmakers for being hilariously problematic and also featuring a god you worship by tripping so many balls a big yellow dragon or whatever the gently caress thing appears and an alien race that has vagina-shaped faces, blue skin, and genitals in their hair (the last two of course for the hilarity of "did Frank Herbert rip off Avatar?" internet posts.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Here’s my unifying theory of all the Dune books (by Frank and his son alike):

Once you read Dune, you read Dune Messiah if you want to know what happened next to Paul.

Children of Dune and God Emperor, if you want to know what happened next to Dune.

Heretics and Chapterhouse, if you want to know what happened next to Frank Herbert.

some goon posted:

Frank wrote Heretics when he was really horny, and he wrote Chapterhouse when he was really hungry.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I kinda want someone to be dumb enough to try Book of the New Sun

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I want a Jesus Incident movie. Which can also probably generate some Avatar ripoff accusations too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I feel like the video games King's Field 2 and King's Field the Ancient City are the closest we'll ever get to that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel like the video games King's Field 2 and King's Field the Ancient City are the closest we'll ever get to that.

Yeah FromSoft games do have a similar vibe- I wonder if it's intentional or just parallel evolution

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

It'd be a very tough series to adapt, though i think the story and setting would stand on its own even without all the nuance. Similarly I'd love to see a creative director do an adaptstion of some Jack Vance that really blurred the line between fantasy and sf, technology and magic. A Cugel the Clever miniseries would be awesome as hell.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah FromSoft games do have a similar vibe- I wonder if it's intentional or just parallel evolution

I think it's both! :hfive:

I do think it's intentional for some of them, like King's Field 2 especially you're character is sorta disgraced and has to travel under a different name and your old master gives you a special sword before you go and you start out having to make your way to and through an old garrison and stuff. There's some prominent item's in the game named Silverian's Key (not QUITE Severian but come on :D) kind of stuff too. It's not a ripoff of Book of the New Sun but clearly the devs knew what was up.

The books were fairly popular in Japan and got official translations with baller cover art and everything so it wouldn't surprise me, I think it's also a happy coincidence that it kind of meshes perfectly with the sort of dungeon crawlers that were big in Japan in the 80s and inspired King's Field 1 too.

Hidetaka Miyazaki was at From for a little but of course first became a name directing Demon's Souls+Dark Souls. I can't find the link right now but there was an interesting interview with him where he mentions how a big inspiration for him was his going to the library as a kid and being into all these fantasy stories but due to a mix of what he'd have access to either being in English or due to translation differences and him being a kid, his kind of not getting the whole picture and having to piece things together later and those little moments where something clicks. I'm sure he wasn't the only person into fantasy stories as a kid with that experience that then went into game dev, so I do think there's some parallel evolution there where D&D being a thing, and then the way in which Japanese computer devs would try to work that experience into a video game, you get that same kind of feel.

Cool covers imo, given the nature of his job in the story I think it's interesting how ornamental/purely ceremonial the mask seems compared to the full face covering one in much of the western art.

free hubcaps posted:

It'd be a very tough series to adapt, though i think the story and setting would stand on its own even without all the nuance. Similarly I'd love to see a creative director do an adaptstion of some Jack Vance that really blurred the line between fantasy and sf, technology and magic. A Cugel the Clever miniseries would be awesome as hell.

It'd be weird, but I'd almost love to see a Cugel the Clever series where you never actually see Cugel much, maybe not a full first person view movie but like, something where the emphasis is on people reacting to/dealing with the whirlwind of bullshit he spins and causes everywhere he goes lol

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Neo Rasa posted:

It'd be weird, but I'd almost love to see a Cugel the Clever series where you never actually see Cugel much, maybe not a full first person view movie but like, something where the emphasis is on people reacting to/dealing with the whirlwind of bullshit he spins and causes everywhere he goes lol

I'm thinking maybe a comedy, Cugel definitely comes across as a Michael Scott or GOB Bluth kind of character, a moron who's utterly convinced of his superior intelligence.

Dying Earth in general would make for a really cool anthology series though. Maybe animated for maximum weirdness potential.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm thinking maybe a comedy, Cugel definitely comes across as a Michael Scott or GOB Bluth kind of character, a moron who's utterly convinced of his superior intelligence.

Dying Earth in general would make for a really cool anthology series though. Maybe animated for maximum weirdness potential.
An accurate Cugel would be tough to pull off, because he is an objectively terrible and awful person (but then again, so are most of the people he meets in his stories) with no redeeming characteristics and that's difficult to sell as a protagonist to a general audience.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I think comedy would be the way to go, I mean the story basically goes that route anyway where it gets to the point where he's so dumb and hungry he eats some interdimensional octopus being for lunch and then has to travel a million years into the past or whatever

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I want a Jesus Incident movie. Which can also probably generate some Avatar ripoff accusations too.

I want that movie so I can pretend it's an Alpha Centauri movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We’re only making plans within plans, for Nigel.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

disposablewords posted:

Yeah even in a normal theater I felt some sound effects vibrating in my sternum. Some of it was "holy poo poo turn the volume down" and some of it was a deep and abiding love for powerful, powerful bass in that movie.

:same:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
It's the deafening silence that sticks with me.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I wasn't sure what to make of Feyd-Rautha. Like they set him up to be a bit of a cocky bitch what with playing dirty in the arena with his big impressive triumph being that he kills a random Atreides soldier. Like it's a big deal for the Baron, for him and also for the Bene Gesserit that he kills some guy. How is that a noteworthy feat?
But then later against both Rabban and Paul he is able to hold his own so he is actually good at fighting, so I don't get the big deal everyone makes about the arena feat. I need to reread the book, I know it's a bit different there, but does it play out in a substantially different way?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

niethan posted:

I wasn't sure what to make of Feyd-Rautha. Like they set him up to be a bit of a cocky bitch what with playing dirty in the arena with his big impressive triumph being that he kills a random Atreides soldier. Like it's a big deal for the Baron, for him and also for the Bene Gesserit that he kills some guy. How is that a noteworthy feat?
But then later against both Rabban and Paul he is able to hold his own so he is actually good at fighting, so I don't get the big deal everyone makes about the arena feat. I need to reread the book, I know it's a bit different there, but does it play out in a substantially different way?

The Atreides soldiers were trained by Duncan and Gurney so any seasoned Atreides vet is going to be very capable. I think the Baron was impressed not by the fighting but by Feyd putting himself in real danger for that ploy of his to use an undrugged gladiator on purpose and make it look accidental.

Also in the book the gladiator gets a barbed lance in his arm from one of the Harkonnen rodeo clowns but he ends up using it as a defense, blocking Feyd's knife with it, which makes Feyd seem a bit more stupid.

In the book, it's actually more touch and go from what I remember but also in the book he has a few more tricks up his sleeve than shown in the movie (hypnotic code word, secretly switching the poisoned and clean blades). So overall I think it about evens out in the book vs movie?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
one of the big reasons for killing the atreides is that their top soldiers are very comparable to the sardaukar

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

one of the big reasons for killing the atreides is that their top soldiers are very comparable to the sardaukar

Its kind of a bummer that the one time Atreides troops face off against Sarduakar in DUNC, they get brutally owned and don't kill a single one

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, but they were fighting in their pyjamas. And they still dominated the harkonen troops on the stairs. It took surprise and an envelopment to take them out.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Vampire Panties posted:

Its kind of a bummer that the one time Atreides troops face off against Sarduakar in DUNC, they get brutally owned and don't kill a single one
I think there are a couple things here the movies failed to sell: That the Atreides legions are really good, and that the Sardaukar are ultra-badass. We don't really see either. We're just told this is the case. I think this could probably be solved by adjusting a few of the action scenes in the first film. We need to actually see the Atreides convincingly dunc on the Harkonnen until the Sardaukar show up. And then we need to see the Sardaukar do something more impressive than defeating a bunch of outnumbered and encircled Atreides troops. As is, the Atreides troops feel weak, which makes the Sardaukar feat of defeating them unimpressive, which makes the Sardaukar look average, which makes Duncan Idaho defeating a bunch of them come across as your average movie protagonist dealing with a bunch of mooks. It's an "Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise" kind of issue - you're told they're supposed to be real impressive but they just turn out to be mooks for the heroes to beat.

Sardaukar are 100x cooler throat singing than they are fighting.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Elukka posted:

I think there are a couple things here the movies failed to sell: That the Atreides legions are really good, and that the Sardaukar are ultra-badass. We don't really see either. We're just told this is the case. I think this could probably be solved by adjusting a few of the action scenes in the first film. We need to actually see the Atreides convincingly dunc on the Harkonnen until the Sardaukar show up. And then we need to see the Sardaukar do something more impressive than defeating a bunch of outnumbered and encircled Atreides troops. As is, the Atreides troops feel weak, which makes the Sardaukar feat of defeating them unimpressive, which makes the Sardaukar look average, which makes Duncan Idaho defeating a bunch of them come across as your average movie protagonist dealing with a bunch of mooks. It's an "Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise" kind of issue - you're told they're supposed to be real impressive but they just turn out to be mooks for the heroes to beat.

Sardaukar are 100x cooler throat singing than they are fighting.

Iirc DUNC does show the outnumbered atreides loving up the harkonnen troops even without their armor on, though it's a brief scene and they get cut down by the sards moments later.

VV the Dr. Yueh stuff always bothered me too, like kidnapping someone's wife seems like the most basic level of serious blackmail.

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 18, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Sardaukar being described as amazing but being chumps whenever we actually see them is a problem in the book too. They beat the Atreides army by Harkonnen trickery (sealing them in the caves) not by any superiority in combat. and their attempt to genocide the Fremen is a complete debacle, every time they go up against them they take like 5x their casualties or something ridiculous.

I would connect it to the Suk doctor stuff. The only thing you ever hear about these guys is that they’re imperially conditioned and couldn’t possibly be untrustworthy, but the only thing you ever see one do is sell his boss out as part of a really basic scheme that you’d think anyone in a society like this would be conditioned to resist. I think it’s intentional in other words that the empire is hollow and its values suck. Its claim to supremacy is propagandistic (the Guild and the BGs are the ones really in charge and stop the emperor playing with his toy soldiers as soon as the situation gets serious) and being “as good as the Sardaukar”, while it was impressive for the Atreides, isn’t really all that good.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
the atreides became a force to be reckoned with once they understood the underlying harshness of the universe by accepting that in arrakis there are no showers, you scrub your rear end with sand

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Yueh's Imperial Conditioning being broken was a wheels-within-wheels thing in the book that he doesn't understand. Jessica noted his wife left signs of Bene Gesserit tampering on him, which might have been something Piter understood he could use to counter-condition him into wanting the Baron dead. He was trained to deceive a Bene Gesserit. There's a bit where he almost realizes his wife and the Bene Gesserit involved him in a greater plot.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

The reason that Shaddam IV wanted Leto out of the way is that he was popular in the Landsraad with many of the popular houses, and that Emperor only rules by the consent of the ruling houses - in order words, as the book puts it, "a popular man arouses the jealousy of the powerful".
Shaddam IV didn't know he was sending Leto to a planet where Leto might've been able to get a fighting force that're better than the Sardukar, while also being more advanced than anyone suspected (by Fremen design).

skasion posted:

The Sardaukar being described as amazing but being chumps whenever we actually see them is a problem in the book too. They beat the Atreides army by Harkonnen trickery (sealing them in the caves) not by any superiority in combat. and their attempt to genocide the Fremen is a complete debacle, every time they go up against them they take like 5x their casualties or something ridiculous.

I would connect it to the Suk doctor stuff. The only thing you ever hear about these guys is that they’re imperially conditioned and couldn’t possibly be untrustworthy, but the only thing you ever see one do is sell his boss out as part of a really basic scheme that you’d think anyone in a society like this would be conditioned to resist. I think it’s intentional in other words that the empire is hollow and its values suck. Its claim to supremacy is propagandistic (the Guild and the BGs are the ones really in charge and stop the emperor playing with his toy soldiers as soon as the situation gets serious) and being “as good as the Sardaukar”, while it was impressive for the Atreides, isn’t really all that good.
I'm not sure it's meant to be subtext that the Sardukar aren't that good, and are by and large getting by on their past accomplishments (possibly going back to the foundation of the Empire).

Everything's stagnated to a degree that's hurting everyone - that's the "race conciousness" that a young Paul Atreides fears.
It's the ultimate irony that he's broken by the very system that put him in a position to attempt to escape, only to end up releasing the Fremen jihad that he was trying to avoid, because his father and son were killed by products of that system.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 18, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

the book posted:

"Any area is open to my speculation if it does what you’ve hired me to do," Hawat said. "I am a Mentat. You do not withhold information or computation lines from a Mentat."
For a long minute, the Baron stared at him, then: "Say what you must say, Mentat."
"The Padishah Emperor turned against House Atreides because the Duke’s Warmasters Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho had trained a fighting force—a small fighting force—to within a hair as good as the Sardaukar. Some of them were even better. And the Duke was in a position to enlarge his force, to make it every bit as strong as the Emperor’s."
The Baron weighed this disclosure, then: "What has Arrakis to do with this?"
"It provides a pool of recruits already conditioned to the bitterest survival training."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The emperor was at least somewhat wise to that possibility about Arrakis too. Look how Fenring reacts when the Baron muses about making Arrakis a prison planet (and for any reader who didn’t get it, Herbert has Thufir explain to the Baron that he accidentally told the emperor’s hatchet man that he plans to set up his own private Sardaukar)

quote:

“Why is the Emperor so interested in exterminating the Fremen?” the Baron asked.

“You wish the subject to be changed, eh?” The Count shrugged. “It is the Sardaukar who wish it, not the Emperor. They needed practice in killing…and they hate to see a task left undone.”

Does he think to frighten me by reminding me that he is supported by bloodthirsty killers? the Baron wondered.

“A certain amount of killing has always been an arm of business,” the Baron said, “but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Someone must be left to work the spice.”

The Count emitted a short, barking laugh. “You think you can harness the Fremen?”

“There never were enough of them for that,” the Baron said. “But the killing has made the rest of my population uneasy. It’s reaching the point where I’m considering another solution to the Arrakeen problem, my dear Fenring. And I must confess the Emperor deserves credit for the inspiration.”

“Ah-h-h?”

“You see, Count, I have the Emperor’s prison planet, Salusa Secundus, to inspire me.”

The Count stared at him with glittering intensity. “What possible connection is there between Arrakis and Salusa Secundus?”

The Baron felt the alertness in Fenring’s eyes, said: “No connection yet.”

“Yet?”

“You must admit it’d be a way to develop a substantial work force on Arrakis—use the place as a prison planet.”

“You anticipate an increase in prisoners?”

“There has been unrest,” the Baron admitted. “I’ve had to squeeze rather severely, Fenring. After all, you know the price I paid that damnable Guild to transport our mutual force to Arrakis. That money has to come from somewhere.”

“I suggest you not use Arrakis as a prison planet without the Emperor’s permission, Baron.”

“Of course not,” the Baron said, and he wondered at the sudden chill in Fenring’s voice.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 18, 2024

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

Halloween Jack posted:

We’re only making plans within plans, for Nigel.

lol

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

“What possible connection is there between Arrakis and Salusa Secundus?”

He really was a failed Kwisatz Haderach, wasn't he?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

free hubcaps posted:

Similarly I'd love to see a creative director do an adaptstion of some Jack Vance that really blurred the line between fantasy and sf, technology and magic. A Cugel the Clever miniseries would be awesome as hell.
I think my Vance ideal would be an adaptation of the first Dying Earth story collection with a significant rewrite, where the characters' paths are intertwined. Or a Demon Princes series.

StashAugustine posted:

Refn will do it if you give him a billion dollars and no boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

free hubcaps posted:

Iirc DUNC does show the outnumbered atreides loving up the harkonnen troops even without their armor on, though it's a brief scene and they get cut down by the sards moments later.

VV the Dr. Yueh stuff always bothered me too, like kidnapping someone's wife seems like the most basic level of serious blackmail.

"sards" sounds like a french venerial disease