Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I watched the whole series and this was my takeaway too. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned in this thread previously!

probably for that reason. adult animation tends to fluxuate between "awful", "Good" and "ehh", the ehh stuff is mostly ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Looks like the Amazing Digital Circus pins I ordered are coming one by one and everyone's favourite anxiety clown was the first to arrive. I don't know if Bubbles or Caine will be next, but I'm guessing Bubbles.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

LashLightning posted:

Looks like the Amazing Digital Circus pins I ordered are coming one by one and everyone's favourite anxiety clown was the first to arrive. I don't know if Bubbles or Caine will be next, but I'm guessing Bubbles.

i might order the little figure like i said. but ill see how payday ends up. i didnt know they were shipping that fast. i did get the doll a while ago. its sitting on my tv next to figment and dusa.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://youtu.be/rcp3tZ3XFyQ?si=WTTJOaI96ww3EYDA

gently caress

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

This is unironically one of my favorite YouTube videos.

Rip to a legend.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Four episodes into The Second Best Hospital In The Galaxy and I've concluded that this show rips.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Weird, that's roughly were I dropped it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Open Source Idiom posted:

Four episodes into The Second Best Hospital In The Galaxy and I've concluded that this show rips.

Agreed. The scenarios are legitimately funny, the depiction of anxiety is upsettingly resonant, and there are enough triggers of legitimately alien elements to keep you on your toes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Not going to lie, hearing that Akira Toriyama died actually hosed with me quite a bit. Man was a legend. I have made games inspired by his work and still do. Absolute legend. Rest in peace, man.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

from CBS Sunday Morning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m813zQP1_ZA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Royal Crackers still continues to be extremely funny. Like how in last week's episode Stebe jumps out the window of the office building and is just fine after.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Invincible is back for anyone that forgot (read: everyone). Goddamn JoJo rear end release schedule. I’m happy they’re getting money from the streaming services but this is an absolutely rear end way of releasing stuff.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
his name is invincible, not momentum

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Warbird posted:

Invincible is back for anyone that forgot (read: everyone). Goddamn JoJo rear end release schedule. I’m happy they’re getting money from the streaming services but this is an absolutely rear end way of releasing stuff.

Kid, let me tell you about being a fan of a little cartoon called The Venture Brothers....

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The warriors of virtue had a kangaroo for patience but it was VB that forced me to acquire it.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SolarFire2 posted:

Kid, let me tell you about being a fan of a little cartoon called The Venture Brothers....

Funny enough just introduced this to a 21 year old and he loves it but he did give me a look when talking about how I grew up with this show and somehow it did NOT have a million seasons.

Really want more Vox Machina. How far away are the new episodes?

Side question: I loved Final Space. I know the show was Zaslaved but what are the chances of one day being legally re-released? Would it require some billionaire paying more than the write off amount? Sitting in a vault for x amount of years? I can’t imagine it just sits in a vault for eternity due to some jackass billionaire shenanigans. Feel bad for the creators and crew.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good news(?), Godspeed is apparently a reboot of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnM_rPk2pp4

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

DogsInSpace! posted:

Funny enough just introduced this to a 21 year old and he loves it but he did give me a look when talking about how I grew up with this show and somehow it did NOT have a million seasons.

Really want more Vox Machina. How far away are the new episodes?

Side question: I loved Final Space. I know the show was Zaslaved but what are the chances of one day being legally re-released? Would it require some billionaire paying more than the write off amount? Sitting in a vault for x amount of years? I can’t imagine it just sits in a vault for eternity due to some jackass billionaire shenanigans. Feel bad for the creators and crew.

We are getting the graphic novel for Final Space at least. I think you can order a black and white version if you missed the initial wave

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
John Dilworth just uploaded a 10 year old CGI short, The Fog of Courage, to his youtube account. It's not a 'new' animation, but I don't think many people have seen it. If you were a fan of the original, it's definitely worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlKfbLJ94uM

I will say that Shawn Wallace, while a great voice actor, feels a little odd as Eustice Bagge.- he's a bit too warm and friendly for the character. It is interesting how well the look translated to 3D, switching between cute cartoon design to genuinely unsettling stuff pretty quickly.

There is no chance of this show coming back (the VA for Muriel has unfortunately passed), but it is a cool thing to see. I don't think that show could really exist and thrive outside of the late 90's when mixing traditional animation, early cgi, stop motion and genuine horror elements in a children's show really worked. Just about everyone who remembers the show has least one episode that genuinely freaked them out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Return the slaaaab

I was always a little bit down on the series as opposed to the pilot actually, because I thought it was lame to a) give Courage a voice (since in the pilot he was silent or almost-silent, only making nonsyllabic noises and so on, except I think one line at the end, "this shouldn't happen to a dog", which read to me as non-diegetic or ironic or something, not like he was "really" talking), and b) to have him talk only in catchphrases which had to show up like checkbox items. Always rolled my eyes when he turned to the camera to deliver "the things I do for love", loving wtf why. Always seemed like the show as retooled for series production was full of great inventive concepts that were at war with contractually obligated formulaic elements which sapped a lot of what made the pilot so wild and fun. Same thing that happened with Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Lab etc, seemed like every show was destined to get defanged and neutered once it was wrestled away from its creator (that I was primed early on to expect this by John K and that he amply demonstrated why it was so well justified was small comfort).

But he does the catchphrase bit in that short which is obviously all Dilworth so what do I know

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 16, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think you generally shouldn't put too much weight on individual creators as the source of everything good about a show, although the tendency for show creators to leave for greener pastures halfway through a show's runtime at around the time when the show's been long enough to have some drift doesn't help. It's fairly rare for one guy to make a big enough deal to really force a show to really be mostly his. I don't think studios are forcing out creators, they're just ordering more episodes while the creators themselves decide it's time to go.

Dexter's Lab in particular had a lot of great people working on it that would go on to make a lot of great things, and Genndy Tartakovsy left to help Craig McCracken on Powerpuff Girls and also make Samurai Jack. Craig McCracken left Powerpuff Girls to make Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For sure, and I've spent enough years teaching myself that any work is the result of a whole team rather than one gifted individual that I ought to know better. It's such a facile theory to come up with, that only the creator "gets" their own show and then the rest of the team trying to carry on without them is just doing bad cargo-cult imitations. It can be like that, but equally often it can be an Adventure Time type situation. Even MLP found its own voice mostly post Faust.

In a larger sense it's been the hardest thing for me to learn, that a work takes on a life of its own as soon as it makes contact with the outside world, and the creator only has a limited say in what direction that life takes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I know I've seen every episode at least once but I cannot for the life of me recall him ever speaking or even what his voice was, let alone repetitive catchphrases. I'm never going to rewatch it because I would definitely notice and be annoyed by it now.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I thought Invincible was a big hit for Amazon so I'm confused why the animation is still so stiff in season 2. I guess they figure if season 1 was a success theres no reason to make it look better the next time, but comparing any animated action show on Netflix to Invincible just shows how much of a gap there is.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

SolarFire2 posted:

Kid, let me tell you about being a fan of a little cartoon called Astartes....

I had to keep reminding my friends when the next part came out because they were years in between.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Speaking of Courage the Cowardly Dog. The creator put a pilot (that never went anywhere) on his youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eic4a0RSXaI. You can really tell it was made by the same guy who made Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Speaking of Courage the Cowardly Dog. The creator put a pilot (that never went anywhere) on his youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eic4a0RSXaI. You can really tell it was made by the same guy who made Courage the Cowardly Dog.

What the gently caress was that?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Khanstant posted:

Lol I know I've seen every episode at least once but I cannot for the life of me recall him ever speaking or even what his voice was, let alone repetitive catchphrases. I'm never going to rewatch it because I would definitely notice and be annoyed by it now.

The show had a lot of other little sound bites they'd reuse all the time, like Muriel's "Oh my!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I liked Katz. He had a cool swanky musical theme

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Eh, Courage's asides didn't bother me much. The deranged nightmare logic of the show often relied on different levels of communication and playing with the dynamics of who was treated as a person or an animal. Bit like a more overtly horror bent Rocko's Modern Life. (Lol that fishing episode legit scared me)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Covok posted:

What the gently caress was that?

John Dilworth.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Even though I'm generally not good with horror, I liked when Courage the Cowardly Dog could just be weird, I really liked the star squid episode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

The show had a lot of other little sound bites they'd reuse all the time, like Muriel's "Oh my!"

Now Muriel's Oh My I can hear! And the old man yelling angry stuff.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Episode 6 of Grimsburg has me into it fully now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Despite Netflix cancelling the series a while back, Dead End Paranormal Park will finally receive a proper conclusion in graphic novel form on April 23

https://www.amazon.com/DeadEndia-Divine-Order-Hamish-Steele/dp/1454949023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I have never watched that show, but Graphic novel continuations of TV series almost never turn out well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I have never watched that show, but Graphic novel continuations of TV series almost never turn out well.

It’s good, you should check it out.

Also in this case the comic IS the original source material (it started as a webcomic before it was adapted into a series and this is just the third and final book collecting those comics)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 18, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lol Krapopolis randomly aired its first season finale as its third episode of season two.

It was kinda sweet though, ngl. One of the better episodes of a disappointing show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't hate that show but Aoyade was a bad choice for the main lead, he never sounds like he's in the world it sounds like Richard Aoyade whining in a booth. They also went with a very weird and unrelatable family dynamic. Some of the plots and mythical creatures and stuff I really enjoy but it feels like it's scared to get too weird, almost like they're angling to be on primetime weekday network TV which doesn't exist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I don't hate that show but Aoyade was a bad choice for the main lead, he never sounds like he's in the world it sounds like Richard Aoyade whining in a booth. They also went with a very weird and unrelatable family dynamic. Some of the plots and mythical creatures and stuff I really enjoy but it feels like it's scared to get too weird, almost like they're angling to be on primetime weekday network TV which doesn't exist anymore.

Its literally airing on primetime fox.